HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Postseason Lines Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-29-2013, 09:25 PM
  #776
Malkinstheman
Registered User
 
Malkinstheman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 976
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wgknestrick View Post
As for the PK being bad. We all see how terrible Adams and Glass are at 5v5.....and there is a mountain of data/stats to prove it. They usually skate against other 4th/3rd line players and get outscored and out-shot. They constantly get pinned in their own zone at even strength. It doesn't matter who plays with them at C, the results are the same. Minus goal differential, minus corsi, possession that just isn't there. I can't remember the last time Bylsma didn't use his TO to rest them after an icing.

Now take one of our players away and put him in the box. Do we logically think that these 2 guys turn into elite "specialist" with even worst odds in their favor at 4v5? Yes these guys are used to playing without the puck (no choice really), but that doesn't make them good at it.

Another great item of note. There is not a single player that is going to be (or can be scratched) that scores at a lower rate (pts/60min) than Tanner Glass. Even Bortuzzo is a higher scoring threat at D than Glass is at Forward.
Maybe not rolling 4 lines can be an option. Instead of rolling the last line, make it a specialist team that only goes on during the pk. Our other 3 lines are then able to get in a couple more minutes of play... Not sure if it is even a good idea though

Malkinstheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 10:04 PM
  #777
MeloveHockeyLongTime
Registered User
 
MeloveHockeyLongTime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 128
vCash: 500
Hey guys, are there any updates on Crosby and will Malkin be in the lineup for the first game? Thanks
Sorry if i posted in the wrong thread

MeloveHockeyLongTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 10:06 PM
  #778
Suprmnjl
Registered User
 
Suprmnjl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 105
vCash: 500
Got Bennett in my pool. Will he play at all?

Suprmnjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 10:07 PM
  #779
Jaded-Fan
Registered User
 
Jaded-Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 33,780
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeloveHockeyLongTime View Post
Hey guys, are there any updates on Crosby and will Malkin be in the lineup for the first game? Thanks
Sorry if i posted in the wrong thread
Crosby meets with his doctor tomorrow to get cleared to play. We will officially know then though I doubt many think that the doctor is not going to clear him. Crosby says that he feels fine.

Jaded-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 10:09 PM
  #780
Skillzz
Registered Boozer
 
Skillzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Omicron Persei 8
Country: Seychelles
Posts: 914
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sivek View Post
Seeing that made me remember how bad GAK used to smell. Then I google'd gak smell, and holy **** at the 2nd result. gak smell is now a must search for anyone looking for a cheap laugh
Sweet jesus, this is ****ing gold. I was losing it

Skillzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 10:10 PM
  #781
MeloveHockeyLongTime
Registered User
 
MeloveHockeyLongTime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 128
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
Crosby meets with his doctor tomorrow to get cleared to play. We will officially know then though I doubt many think that the doctor is not going to clear him. Crosby says that he feels fine.
Thanks what about Malkin, isnt he on the injured list? Good luck to you guys!

MeloveHockeyLongTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 10:13 PM
  #782
Jaded-Fan
Registered User
 
Jaded-Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 33,780
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeloveHockeyLongTime View Post
Thanks what about Malkin, isnt he on the injured list? Good luck to you guys!
Thanks.

Malkin has been playing and looked good that last game against the Canes. There is some talk of a lingering shoulder issue but he has been back in the games.

Jaded-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 10:14 PM
  #783
Waffle Fries
Registered User
 
Waffle Fries's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 12,106
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeloveHockeyLongTime View Post
Thanks what about Malkin, isnt he on the injured list? Good luck to you guys!
Nope, Malkin played in the last 3 games of the season. He appears to be fine, and looked much more like himself on Saturday.

Edit: Beaten to it

Waffle Fries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 10:55 PM
  #784
Fordy
the kid signify
 
Fordy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 17,016
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suprmnjl View Post
Got Bennett in my pool. Will he play at all?
yeah we got 32 pages in this thread because we know exactly who's playing and where

Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 08:12 AM
  #785
UnrealMachine
Registered User
 
UnrealMachine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Pittsburgh, USA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,722
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wgknestrick View Post
As for the PK being bad. We all see how terrible Adams and Glass are at 5v5.....and there is a mountain of data/stats to prove it. They usually skate against other 4th/3rd line players and get outscored and out-shot. They constantly get pinned in their own zone at even strength. It doesn't matter who plays with them at C, the results are the same. Minus goal differential, minus corsi, possession that just isn't there. I can't remember the last time Bylsma didn't use his TO to rest them after an icing.

Now take one of our players away and put him in the box. Do we logically think that these 2 guys turn into elite "specialist" with even worst odds in their favor at 4v5? Yes these guys are used to playing without the puck (no choice really), but that doesn't make them good at it.

Another great item of note. There is not a single player that is going to be (or can be scratched) that scores at a lower rate (pts/60min) than Tanner Glass. Even Bortuzzo is a higher scoring threat at D than Glass is at Forward.
Glass has been phased out of the PK over the last couple weeks. He won't be playing in the playoffs when Crosby is back. Might not be playing even with Sid still out.

UnrealMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 09:08 AM
  #786
wgknestrick
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 2,246
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnrealMachine View Post
Glass has been phased out of the PK over the last couple weeks. He won't be playing in the playoffs when Crosby is back. Might not be playing even with Sid still out.
I hope you are right. I have my doubts though. Obviously HCDB thinks he does something or he'd been scratched 48 games if the decision was based on logic, stats, or some sort of objectivity.

wgknestrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 09:18 AM
  #787
SEALBound
RIP Elmer
 
SEALBound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 8,869
vCash: 500
I'd go with a line of Bennett-Adams-Jokinen with JJ taking face offs. Two speedy skilled wingers with a defensive center... That line could be a handful of a 4th line.

SEALBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 09:20 AM
  #788
Random Oracle
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: Finland
Posts: 1,795
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEALBound View Post
I'd go with a line of Bennett-Adams-Jokinen with JJ taking face offs. Two speedy skilled wingers with a defensive center... That line could be a handful of a 4th line.
Yeah, I like that line too. Especially when Malkin and Sid are double shifted and it becomes Bennett-Malkin/Sid-Jokinen.

Random Oracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 09:39 AM
  #789
AquaticBirdman
Registered User
 
AquaticBirdman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Montreal, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,130
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEALBound View Post
I'd go with a line of Bennett-Adams-Jokinen with JJ taking face offs. Two speedy skilled wingers with a defensive center... That line could be a handful of a 4th line.
But then you risk sacrificing a core player in Tanner Glass...

AquaticBirdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 09:55 AM
  #790
SteelFish87*
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 4,279
vCash: 500
Glass wasn't even playing on the 5th line yesterday in practice. He is being phased out of the lineup. Yes he will probably see some action in the playoffs but I doubt he will be a staple in the lineup.

SteelFish87* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 09:59 AM
  #791
Random Oracle
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: Finland
Posts: 1,795
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelFish87 View Post
Glass wasn't even playing on the 5th line yesterday in practice. He is being phased out of the lineup. Yes he will probably see some action in the playoffs but I doubt he will be a staple in the lineup.
That's not true, he was on the fourth line with Adams. Kennedy and Bennett were alternating on the other wing.

Random Oracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 10:11 AM
  #792
SteelFish87*
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 4,279
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Random Oracle View Post
That's not true, he was on the fourth line with Adams. Kennedy and Bennett were alternating on the other wing.
Ya you're right. I just assume when Crosby is back, the 4th line will be Adams - Jokinen - Glass/Kennedy/Bennett

Yeah I guess DB will go with Glass more often than not

SteelFish87* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 10:18 AM
  #793
steveg
Registered User
 
steveg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Norman, OK
Country: United States
Posts: 923
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Random Oracle View Post
That's not true, he was on the fourth line with Adams. Kennedy and Bennett were alternating on the other wing.
Actually, I think this is GREAT NEWS. Jokinen centering Dupuis and Iginla at practice obviously becomes Crosby with Dupuis and Iginla. So, Jokinen would most likely slot to the 4th line center (and it was said by the Carolina announcers during the Pens/Canes gam -- for what that's worth -- that Jokinen expects to be the 4th line center in the playoffs). So, if at practice you had Adams centering the 4th line, Glass on one side, and Kennedy/Bennett on the other, it would suggest to me that Glass is the odd man out -- and that the only "up in the air" slot is RW (Kennedy/Bennett). I would expect that Kennedy will see some time at 4th line RW, and that Bennett will see some time there, also. Bottom line though is, if our 4th line is comprised of Jokinen most of the time, Adams most of the time, and Bennett at least some of the time, that's more than I ever expected DB would do.

As I think about it, I actually expect Adams to center that line, with Jokinen at one wing, and Bennett/Kennedy on the other. That way, Sid or Geno could be double-shifted (likely Geno, as Sid eases into game shape), meaning that sometimes our 4th line will look like this -- Bennett-Malkin-Jokinen.

Imagine rolling this during a game...

Dupuis-Crosby-Iginla
Kunitz-Malkin-Neal
Morrow-Sutter-Cooke
Bennett-Malkin-Jokinen

...is that even fair?!

steveg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 10:23 AM
  #794
OGBobbyFarnham
Registered User
 
OGBobbyFarnham's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 8,734
vCash: 500
Seen an article yesterday by Rossi who said Bennett got some extra work in with most of the players who won't dress.

In a Crosby'less lineup, i'd much prefer a Glass-Adams-Bennett 4th line but Kennedy has the experience so will probably get the nod imo.

OGBobbyFarnham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 03:32 PM
  #795
DoktorZaius
Registered User
 
DoktorZaius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 2,323
vCash: 500
In todays off-day interview on the Pens site, Bylsma is asked about having played Jarome on the left. He basically says that he thinks there are some things that are beneficial about having a right handed shot on the left. So to read into that, I guess he wants Iggy to be on the left for optimal one-timers, and he expects that playing there will make him even more offensively dynamic a-la James Neal.

DoktorZaius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 04:02 PM
  #796
specialized
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Country: United States
Posts: 714
vCash: 500
How about on D guys who are your starting six?
I got 4-58,44-7,3-2.

specialized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 04:32 PM
  #797
WhatsaMaatta
Registered User
 
WhatsaMaatta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 3,788
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adams27 View Post
How about on D guys who are your starting six?
I got 4-58,44-7,3-2.
I don't see Orpik playing tomorrow.

WhatsaMaatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 04:35 PM
  #798
Sidney the Kidney
Injured Reserve
 
Sidney the Kidney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,294
vCash: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoktorZaius View Post
In todays off-day interview on the Pens site, Bylsma is asked about having played Jarome on the left. He basically says that he thinks there are some things that are beneficial about having a right handed shot on the left. So to read into that, I guess he wants Iggy to be on the left for optimal one-timers, and he expects that playing there will make him even more offensively dynamic a-la James Neal.
Iginla seems to have done alright for himself as a RW his entire career. So I don't know why Bylsma's so insistent on re-inventing the wheel. Couple that with how good the Kunitz/Malkin/Neal line looks, and you could potentially have two unstoppable lines going into the playoffs.

I mean, hopefully he's just being weird about this to throw off the Isles' coaching staff's preparations not knowing what the Pens' actual line combinations will end up being. Because otherwise, I believe Bylsma's making this a lot more difficult than it needs to be.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 07:40 PM
  #799
OGBobbyFarnham
Registered User
 
OGBobbyFarnham's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 8,734
vCash: 500
I do get DB's thought process BUT in all of the games Iggy has played on the left side i can't think of 1 one timer set up 5on5 on a rush.

I just think he's more effective working the right side, driving to the net, working the boards and finding open spots in the zone for one timers.

It's really just a no brainer that the top 2 lines right wingers should be Neal and Iginla.

You want a right handed playing the left side that can actually do something there? Hello Mr. Beau Bennett.

OGBobbyFarnham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 07:46 AM
  #800
JTG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: Sierra Leone
Posts: 39,303
vCash: 500
The thing about that thought process is that when the Iginla, Malkin, and Neal are coming down the ice, who are they setting up for the shot? It's been Neal and Geno for the last 2 years. I just think putting Iginla on that line adds an unneeded dimension. Kunitz on that line is the guy who keeps the defensive end clean, fights for loose pucks, and keeps it in the offensive zone.

Now if Iginla was with Sid, Sid would be looking for Iginla and vice versa. It's very clear what the roles are. Then you could put Dupuis up there, and he fills the Kunitz role. He keeps the defensive end clean, fights for loose pucks, and keeps it in the offensive zone.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:58 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.