HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Draft Part 3 (Flyers own the 11th overall pick)

Closed Thread

Old
04-30-2013, 10:04 AM
Psuhockey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackStraw View Post
I admit I'm partially influenced by a growing fascination with Swedish defensemen, but what is the thinking on Robert Hagg? I don't see the Flyers taking him at #11, but if Risto, Nurse, and Zadorov are gone would it make sense to consider trading down? Based on the little I've seen of him (highlights from the WJC) I'd be tempted to take him over Pulock. He seems to be a real good skater with good offensive instincts and poise.

Not sure how good he is defensively but it seems he would fill the Flyers' PMD need fairly nicely.
Pulock might end up being the best choice for the Flyers. With L. Schenn playing the tough defensive minutes on the right side, any right handed defensemen the Flyers draft will have easier assignments. Pulock from what I have read has a higher offensive upside than Ristolainen, especially with that shot. It's much easier to find defensive defensemen later in the draft, especially left handed guys, so taking the most offensively gifted defenseman early might be the best way to go.

Old
04-30-2013, 10:08 AM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post
Stars fans seem to believe that the organization might be warming toward Shinkaruk. That would be good for the Flyers.
Good. Out of all the forwards projected around our pick, he's probably the one I want the least.

Old
04-30-2013, 10:13 AM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psuhockey View Post
Pulock might end up being the best choice for the Flyers. With L. Schenn playing the tough defensive minutes on the right side, any right handed defensemen the Flyers draft will have easier assignments. Pulock from what I have read has a higher offensive upside than Ristolainen, especially with that shot. It's much easier to find defensive defensemen later in the draft, especially left handed guys, so taking the most offensively gifted defenseman early might be the best way to go.
I'm not sure that Pulock has a higher offensive upside than Ristolainen overall. What clear edge does he have on him other than his slap shot?

From what I've read, Ristolainen seems to be a better skater (particularly relative to his size), have a better wrist shot (or at least as good), and a better outlet pass. I think it is safe to say that Ristolainen gets a big edge defensively / physically, and since he's also RH, that shouldn't really come into play.

If Ristolainen somehow slips to 11, I'd be pretty disappointed if we didn't take him. His ceiling and floor are both considerably higher than Pulock, Morrissey, Hagg, etc., and he's a safer projection than Zadorov.

EDIT: That said, I'm not sure that I wouldnt' take Pulock over Zadorov, Morrissey, etc.

Last edited by Jack de la Hoya: 04-30-2013 at 10:37 AM.
Old
04-30-2013, 10:15 AM
Curufinwe

Quote:
I know Bill Meltzer agrees with you. Hopefully he'll have some blogs about the draft coming up in the near future.

Old
04-30-2013, 10:21 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Stars fans seem to believe that the organization might be warming toward Shinkaruk. Could be completely off-base, of course, but if one of DAL or NJD takes Shinkaruk, it would seemingly guarantee one of the top-four defenseman sliding to 11.
I think if Shinkaruk is available when the Devils pick, he goes there unless one of the bigger names unexpectedly falls. He fits the mold of the type of player that the Devils seem to target. I really don't think there is much of a difference (outside of their NHL readiness) among Nurse, Risto, Zadorov, and Pulock. I would rank them in that order, but I don't think the drop off from Nurse to Pulock is earth shattering. One of those four should be available and I would be more than happy with any of them.

Old
04-30-2013, 10:24 AM
Psuhockey

Quote:
I'm not sure that Pulock has a higher offensive upside than Ristolainen. What does he have on him other than his slap shot?

From what I've read, Ristolainen seems to be a better skater (particularly relative to his size), have a better wrist shot, and a better outlet pass. I think it is safe to say that Ristolainen gets a big edge defensively / physically, and since he's also RH, that shouldn't really come into play.

If Ristolainen somehow slips to 11, I'd be pretty disappointed if we didn't take him. His ceiling and floor are both considerably higher than Pulock, Morrissey, Hagg, etc., and he's a safer projection than Zadorov.
I would be happy with either. My understanding is that Ristolainen is the better puck mover while Pulock will be the better scoring. Either one will help greatly. Imagine a pairing of Gostibehere and Pulock on the power play, both with canon shots from either side.

Old
04-30-2013, 10:30 AM
The Couturier Effect

Not sure if this was said before, but Nurse's uncle is Donovan McNabb...

Old
04-30-2013, 10:32 AM
chinatown81592
Knight of Beavers

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan8828 View Post
Not sure if this was said before, but Nurse's uncle is Donovan McNabb...
So late on this.

Old
04-30-2013, 10:35 AM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinatown81592 View Post
So late on this.
Yup, the poor kid has to hear it every time his name is brought up.

Old
04-30-2013, 10:39 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Every draft players drop or rise. Like i said earlier wouldnt be surprised if we took a forward or defender that were ranked in the late teens but the Flyers think he's the best player

Old
JackStraw
Moving much too slow

Quote:
I would be happy with either. My understanding is that Ristolainen is the better puck mover while Pulock will be the better scoring. Either one will help greatly. Imagine a pairing of Gostibehere and Pulock on the power play, both with canon shots from either side.
The big shot(s) is nice, but given the Flyers problems 5 on 5 I would prefer a puck mover, a real 3 zone type player. Ristolainen seems to fit that description better, and I tend to think (based on what I've read) that Hagg would as well. It's not that I would mind getting Pulock, just not sure that he would be the best choice if the top 4 d-men are gone by 11.

Old
Jack de la Hoya

For those who have seen Pulock--what is a good player comparison? I've read that his offensive game is somewhat reminiscent of Shea Weber (obviously without the exceptional defensive play and physical presence)--a booming shot, a decent outlet pass, above average (but not elite) puck distribution on the powerplay, etc. Is that about right?

Also, the kid seems fairly sturdy at 6'1, 211 or so. How far away does he seem? Given his offensive game, he seems perhaps better suited to slip in to a #6 / 2nd PP unit role sooner than later.

EDIT: The other positive about him is that by all accounts his an excellent character guy--a kid who has gone through quite a lot in his young life and handled it with impressive maturity, a captain of his junior team, etc.

As the "worst-case" scenario for the Flyers (Nurse, Ristolainein, (Zadorov) off the board), he's a pretty good option.

Last edited by Jack de la Hoya: 04-30-2013 at 10:52 AM.
Old
04-30-2013, 10:45 AM
Jtown

vCash: 539
we need a dman who can skate the puck out of the zone , something we have not had in a long time. WE have the least mobile defensive group in the league and its one of the reasons why our goalies get slaughtered.

Old
04-30-2013, 10:56 AM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
For those who have seen Pulock--what is a good player comparison? I've read that his offensive game is somewhat reminiscent of Shea Weber (obviously without the exceptional defensive play and physical presence)--a booming shot, a decent outlet pass, above average (but not elite) puck distribution on the powerplay, etc. Is that about right?

Also, the kid seems fairly sturdy at 6'1, 211 or so. How far away does he seem? Given his offensive game, he seems perhaps better suited to slip in to a #6 / 2nd PP unit role sooner than later.
I have seen him play probably around 10-15 times this year. It was early in the year when he was playing exceptional hockey. Comparisons annoy me but I compare him to Ryan Suter. People were comparing him to Karlsson and I don't see that. He didn't join the rush like Karlsson did/does. He doesn't have that type of offensive potential IMO. Shea Weber is a tough comparison because the guy is an outright stud.

His shot is 100 MPH and he does have a good outlet pass. He sees the ice very well. He has good hockey sense. He is a physical player as well. His defense could use work, but every young defender needs to work on it. He is a natural leader(captain) and work horse. I love his offensive potential, and that shot would be a welcomed asset on our back end. I would like to see him play one more year for the Wheat Kings next year and move into a spot the following year. He has the body to play in the NHL, I just would hope if they take him, they send him back one more year. He needs it like almost all young defenders. Handle him like teams have handles Piety and Weber. Let him grow and develop so he is ready to step right into a serious top 4 role.

I like Pulock more than Zadorov.

Old
04-30-2013, 11:09 AM
Jtown

vCash: 539
The problem i have with Pulock, is that he has a huge windup on his slap shot. There is a reason why few nhlers have that. 1. There is no time for a huge windup, by the time you are on your backswing someone is already in your shooting lane. 2. The chance to be a exposed for a big rebound on a block shot.

Pulock is also not a great skater. he is pretty slow for someone his size and skillset.

If we are at 11 and rasmus and zadorov are off the board id like to get Hunter Shinkaruk. He is the type of winger that Couturier needs to play with. And Couturier is the type of center Shinkaruk needs to play with.

Old
04-30-2013, 11:11 AM
Curufinwe

Meltzer's opinion on how Philly should draft:

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Bill-...1#.UX_s9MppRtx

Quote:
As a spoiler, among defensemen not named Seth Jones, I personally prefer Ryan Pulock above all the other potential candidates (and, yes, I'd take him over Darnell Nurse even if I had a choice of either one). I'd also be fine with Nurse or Rasmus Ristolainen. Among forwards, I would hope one of the projected top three after Barkov (Nichuskin, Sean Monahan or Elias Lindholm) dropped a bit. Adam Erne has a good shot at being there, and it sounds like Hunter Shinkaruk could drop from his earlier consensus projections. I'd also be fine with taking someone like Max Domi or the heady Bo Horvat a little ahead of where they are likely to go.

Old
04-30-2013, 11:26 AM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
Meltzer's opinion on how Philly should draft:

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Bill-...1#.UX_s9MppRtx
So, basically, any of the consensus (and I use this term very loosely) top-15 other than Zadorov?

But I look forward to him delving a bit more deeply into the potential picks. At the moment, it seems sort of like a generic statement that the Flyers are well-positioned to get a good prospect at 11.

Old
SolidSnakeUS

Is the only reason he chose Pulock is because it has a higher offensive upside than Nurse, Rist or Zad? From what I can tell, his height and weight make him sizable to come into the NHL as is, but I'm unsure about him. Still would rather have Nurse or Rist though. I will say about Pulock though, he would fill a void we haven't had since Pronger went down, and that is a good booming shot from the point.

Old
Prongo
Beer

I'll honestly say when I watched Pulock play, I really saw nothing wrong with his skating. He seems like an extremely well rounded defenseman. He has the tools to be successful in the NHL IMO. Very successful.

Old
04-30-2013, 11:39 AM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

vCash: 50
Only two months til draft day

04-30-2013, 11:48 AM
FlyersFan61290

any one wanna play over/under on how many Draft threads we'll go through before the actual draft 2 months away? this thing is growing at a ridiculous pace.

Old
04-30-2013, 11:51 AM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
any one wanna play over/under on how many Draft threads we'll go through before the actual draft 2 months away? this thing is growing at a ridiculous pace.
If we were picking 8th, we'd have a decent idea of what players would be on the board--since there's really only about 7 guys projected to go in the top six picks. Dropping down a few lines has opened up an absurd range of possibilities and permutations.

Old
04-30-2013, 11:57 AM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
If we were picking 8th, we'd have a decent idea of what players would be on the board--since there's really only about 7 guys projected to go in the top six picks. Dropping down a few lines has opened up an absurd range of possibilities and permutations.
oh i know, i just think it's funny.

Old
04-30-2013, 12:19 PM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
I'll honestly say when I watched Pulock play, I really saw nothing wrong with his skating. He seems like an extremely well rounded defenseman. He has the tools to be successful in the NHL IMO. Very successful.
This. Pulock's skating last season was an absolutely liability, but I saw more than enough games this season where Pulock's skating was a complete non-issue. Sometimes guys just get this stigma attached to them that lingers after they address the deficiency.

I've beat the drum enough for Ryan Pulock though. He's going to be an an excellent contributor at the NHL level and is already more polished in certain areas of his game than guys likely to be taken higher.

The Ryan Suter comparison was a pretty excellent choice.

Old
04-30-2013, 12:27 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Pulock is a guy as well that likes to hip check too right?

Closed Thread