HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Not finishing strong

Old
04-27-2013, 08:55 PM
OlTimeHockey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie Daggers Crime View Post
The team had to play out of their ****ing minds just to get into the playoffs. A let down is expected, natural and unavoidable. Relax and stop complaining for a second. The playoffs are a clean slate.
You hit them and wear them down and score as many as you can and protect Nabby and JT. I believe that's the same gameplan if we faced Boston, a team with a 3rd and 4th line.

Come to think of it....same if we faced the Caps.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 09:03 PM
miscreant
Charles in Charge!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satan'sIsland81 View Post
Here is my question to all of you giving the Isles a pass on these last three games...can we wait and see if the Rags and Sens come out and play with complacency today against teams at the bottom of the standings with nothing to play for? The Rags' recent record is almost as good as ours, they have a spot clinched and they have been essentially playing playoff games for weeks now too, just like the prevailing excuse has been in this thread. Lets see if those two teams go out today and play like they are not content with just being an 8th seed.

This is one time I HOPE I can HAPPILY say I was wrong and both teams lose and by the end of tomorrow we sit in 6th or 7th, but something tells me that will not happen.
Take a look back at the results from March. While we were revving up, the Rags had a number of clunkers, including 3 shutouts. I don't think it can remotely be said that they were playing with the same emotion and intensity that we've been for the past several weeks. Credit to them, they're an experienced team, and they managed to save their season in the nick of time (helped by a major shakeup trade). But from where we are at our stage of development, I can't see how the last three games begins to obscure the progress we've made this year.

miscreant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 12:32 AM
Hershey Hockey
#AskNeal

I've decided to try to hold the positive attitude that these games down the stretch were them getting the losing out of their system before the playoffs. Perspective: up until these last few games they were something like 16-5 and a few OT/SO losses going back a while. In the playoffs that record wins the Stanley Cup.

Hopefully things will get sorted out and turned around in practice these next few days, the team can get back to how they were up until this past week, and we can play spoiler in the first round for the 1 or 2 seed.

Hershey Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 01:24 AM
LeapOnOver
Tavares' new RW

All these last few games did was let the team know they HAVE to work hard to win adn don't have the talent to take a night off. So often teams go into the playoffs after never losing and can't keep up the intensity. There are positive from losing games as much as the "sky is falling" people like to ignore. Wish I could nominate this for the dumbest ass thread ever....

LeapOnOver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 10:17 AM
Renbarg

The Islanders came out flat the last two games. I honestly have no problem with it. Cappy sat some guys to get rested, again I have no problem with that. The last two games, they played on the road, against teams that are out of it, in buildings that were dead. Its not an excuse, its just understandable. The Rangers and Ottawa played their games at home post-clinch, in front of a rabid fans. The atmosphere in the buildings were totally different than what the Islanders played in front of.

I'm sure they'll be ready to go playoff time, with their A lineup.

Renbarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 10:55 AM
Dutch Frost
Battle Level

We will beat the Penguins!! I have total faith in this team!!

Dutch Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 10:56 AM
KyleBailey12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renbarg View Post
The Islanders came out flat the last two games. I honestly have no problem with it. Cappy sat some guys to get rested, again I have no problem with that. The last two games, they played on the road, against teams that are out of it, in buildings that were dead. Its not an excuse, its just understandable. The Rangers and Ottawa played their games at home post-clinch, in front of a rabid fans. The atmosphere in the buildings were totally different than what the Islanders played in front of.

I'm sure they'll be ready to go playoff time, with their A lineup.
I like this post.

Love the bolded too.

KyleBailey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 03:13 PM
edmontonislesfan

All these last few games did was let the team know they HAVE to work hard to win adn don't have the talent to take a night off. So often teams go into the playoffs after never losing and can't keep up the intensity.

Agreed. They certainly won't be over-confident, and the layoff will give them time to rest and heal injuries.

Congratulations from a foreign Islanders fan to all you local, long-suffering fans. It was a major achievement for the Islanders to make the playoffs this year. Regardless of how far the team may go in the playoffs, this has to be regarded as a successful season for them. It seemed like they were playing playoff games for most of April.

There was a thread where Islander, Oiler, and Blue Jacket fans were commenting on how well all the teams were doing in contending for a playoff spot. The Oilers fell flat in early April and quickly fell out of contention.

The Blue Jackets played valiantly and just missed a playoff position. They would have loved to have finished eighth in their division, as the Islanders did.

Go Islanders!

edmontonislesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 06:04 PM
Poliz24

Either way you look at things, one thing must be put into consideration. This team played their tails off to get into contention for a playoff spot. In a way, that stretch in which they won all of those games looks like the team was in a playoff mindset. They were hungry for the spot, they fought hard on EVERY SHIFT. When they were down, they didn't drop their heads, they didn't say "Woe is me". They said alright we just have to work harder. They did and to show for it they have a playoff spot. For anyone following the team in the past, you know that when this team was down, they dropped their heads and tanked. This team didn't. That is a sign of maturation, discipline and focus. Those three things playoff teams need. Overall, it would have been nice to finish off the season with a few wins. But, I'm not concerned. They flipped the switch on and went on that tear just to get into the playoffs. They can do it again. The future is bright, this year is a step in the right direction. This team KNOWS they can play with anyone now. The teams in the past might not have said that. This team and the team to follow should have the confidence to improve and play more confident in the coming years. This confidence I myself beLIeve in and we should all be PROUD of the steps taken to get to this point.

Poliz24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 06:56 PM
2ndGenIslander
Free Broadway Jay

I'm still mad we decided to dress carkner and boulton the last couple of games, which cost us the 6th and 7th spots

2ndGenIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 08:47 PM
Fan101

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndGenIslander View Post
I'm still mad we decided to dress carkner and boulton the last couple of games, which cost us the 6th and 7th spots
Philly played the rookie Dane in that game and he got the game winning goal..It would have been a great opportunity to put Strome in that game or in Buffalo, but I really don't think there is any guarantee because Boston is a veteran team that always handles the Isles and Washington is playing great and beat them in OT last time. I remember the first year Pitt went to the playoffs in 2007 with Crosby, they lost to,Ottawa who went to the finals. They lost the series 4-1 but swept Ottawa the next year and lost in the finals to Detroit.

Hard to predict that they don't have the pressure on them to advance especially opening against PITT can help or hurt, but having experienced vets who can play helps if they do play.

Fan101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 10:15 AM
edmontonislesfan

[QUOTE=edmontonislesfan;64908459]All these last few games did was let the team know they HAVE to work hard to win adn don't have the talent to take a night off. So often teams go into the playoffs after never losing and can't keep up the intensity.

Agreed. They certainly won't be over-confident, and the layoff will give them time to rest and heal injuries.

Sorry, in my previous post, the first paragraph was supposed to be a quote upon which I was commenting. I was not talking to myself.

Islanders are playing hockey while the Oilers are playing golf. Except it is still snowing here and the courses have yet to open.

Big event tonight here- game seven of Oil Kings and Calgary Hitmen, winner to take on the Portland Winterhawks (Seth Jones).

Will see all the Islanders/Pens games on TSN. Go Islanders!

edmontonislesfan is offline   Reply With Quote