HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

and the Calder goes to.... [UPDATE: Post #237 Nail Not Nominated]

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-30-2013, 10:14 AM
  #201
shogun99
Registered User
 
shogun99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 3,426
vCash: 500
This year is so close that you can make a legitimate claim for 8 guys to win, Huberdeau, Yakupov, Brodin, Saad, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Conacher or Schultz.
Last year was a robbery with RNH not winning.

shogun99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 10:39 AM
  #202
Drydenwasthebest
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 3,768
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samwise Gagner View Post
The main board sure does, likely for the purpose of bashing us for never winning one and to discredit the "classless" Yakupov.



I sure don't care very much though, we know what we've got in Yak and if a bunch of Gallagher homers think they have the better player overall then I'll be happy to laugh at them later.
Most teams know what you have in Yakupov: a great first line forward who will play hard, fight for the puck, and produce points for years to come. The kind of player any team would love to have.

Most teams know what the Habs have in Gallagher: a great first line forward who will play hard, fight for the puck, and produce points for years to come. The kind of player any team would love to have.

I am guessing certain fans have no clue who the Habs have in Gallagher, though. No worries, if they are laughing at a great player later it will not change anything for us..

As I have said previously, Gallagher, Saad, Yakupov, Huberdeau, and Galchenyuk (my apologies to those supporting brodin, but I honestly have not seen enough of him to comment either way, that is why I did not include him) are all strong candidates and I would not complain if any of them won the Calder. All of them have shown that they can become strong players for their team who can be cheered for years to come. I won't laugh at any of the players who "lose" the Calder, though, because I am more interested in players helping their teams make the playoffs. It is a good reason why Habs "homers" love Gallagher and Galchenyuk so much;they helped us move from last in the East to 2nd in the East with significant contributions throughout the season while playing less time than most of the other guys up for the award. Did any of the other teams' top rookies help their team to be that successful? So, if anyone wants to laugh at Gallagher and Habs fans who love him, enjoy the laughter...and the tee time... I won't laugh at Yakupov if he wins or loses, though, because he is one of a few who played well enough to earn the Calder, should he get it. He will be a great player for the Oilers for years...as long as they do not trade him.

Drydenwasthebest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 10:45 AM
  #203
Koto
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,263
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shogun99 View Post
This year is so close that you can make a legitimate claim for 8 guys to win, Huberdeau, Yakupov, Brodin, Saad, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Conacher or Schultz.
Last year was a robbery with RNH not winning.
no it wasnt.


the award is not for potential, its not to redo the last draft, its for who had the best year. its tough to have the best year if you only play 75% of the games.

Koto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 11:03 AM
  #204
27theROCK
Registered User
 
27theROCK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 954
vCash: 500
I think Yak should win. He lead all rookies in goals and points. I like Gallagher but Yak finished strong and out produced him.

I hate that Brodin will win it because Wild have no depth on D and played Brodin a lot. I never saw the kid dominate a game and though also never saw him do anything dumb but is that enough to win over Yak or Gallagher who alot of times were their teams best players.

27theROCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 11:38 AM
  #205
bleed_oil
Registered User
 
bleed_oil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 3,844
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drydenwasthebest View Post
Most teams know what you have in Yakupov: a great first line forward who will play hard, fight for the puck, and produce points for years to come. The kind of player any team would love to have.

Most teams know what the Habs have in Gallagher: a great first line forward who will play hard, fight for the puck, and produce points for years to come. The kind of player any team would love to have.
Are you comparing the offensive abilities of Gallagher and Yak? These guys are in difference universes as far as offensive tools are concerned. One guy is the Pavel Bure part 2 the other is an undersized young Ryan Smyth.
Lets see how well that comparison stands in 5 years time.

bleed_oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 12:12 PM
  #206
worraps
Acceptance
 
worraps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,673
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koto View Post
no it wasnt.


the award is not for potential, its not to redo the last draft, its for who had the best year. its tough to have the best year if you only play 75% of the games.
Yet RNH scored just as many points as Landeskog and played a much more demanding position.

worraps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 12:43 PM
  #207
Drydenwasthebest
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 3,768
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleed_oil View Post
Are you comparing the offensive abilities of Gallagher and Yak? These guys are in difference universes as far as offensive tools are concerned. One guy is the Pavel Bure part 2 the other is an undersized young Ryan Smyth.
Lets see how well that comparison stands in 5 years time.
You ever notice when I point out the realities of right now I keep getting told about what is going to happen in the future? Right NOW, Gallagher and Yakupov are comparable. Right NOW, Yakupov and Gallagher had very similar point production at the NHL level, even though Gallagher played less minutes per game. Right NOW, the two are very close and either one is a fair and respectable candidate for the Calder. So, YES, I am comparing the offensive capabilities of Gallagher and Yakupov because it is what you do when trying to determine who will win the Calder right NOW. I will also recognize that point production is not the ONLY determining factor for the Calder, but is a significant one. Overall play, both defensive and offensive, impact on the player's team, leadership skills, character, etc...there are many factors that go into determining who should win the Calder. I would have no problem with either Yakupov or Gallagher winning the Calder as both are good enough to deserve it right NOW.

I will let time, and you young seers, determine who will be better in the future.

Drydenwasthebest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 01:02 PM
  #208
shogun99
Registered User
 
shogun99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 3,426
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koto View Post
no it wasnt.


the award is not for potential, its not to redo the last draft, its for who had the best year. its tough to have the best year if you only play 75% of the games.
And in those 75% of games he outplayed every rookie, was tied for the lead in points and was one of the main reasons why our PP went from bottom of the league to top of the league. After Gallagher wins the Calder this year watch voters defend him over Yakupov by saying that if Gallagher played a full season he might be tied for the rookie lead in points. The same voters that last year voted for Landeskog because he played more games then RNH.

shogun99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 01:24 PM
  #209
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty
 
The Nuge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,752
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koto View Post
no it wasnt.


the award is not for potential, its not to redo the last draft, its for who had the best year. its tough to have the best year if you only play 75% of the games.
It's also not a contest to see who can play the most games. Nuge was so much better when he was healthy, that he deserved it without question

__________________
"The Sabres think the suck is their ally? They merely adopted the suck. The Oilers were born in it...molded by it" - dnicks17
The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 01:32 PM
  #210
ca phe sua da
Craig's on it
 
ca phe sua da's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,174
vCash: 852
Can someone confirm what I read on the main boards that the Calder votes had to be in before 8PM on Sat? (meaning the votes were due before the Vancouver game)

ca phe sua da is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 01:37 PM
  #211
AUAIOMRN
Registered User
 
AUAIOMRN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,615
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koto View Post
no it wasnt.


the award is not for potential, its not to redo the last draft, its for who had the best year. its tough to have the best year if you only play 75% of the games.
Not true. From the NHL website itself: "The Calder Memorial Trophy is an annual award given to the player selected as the most proficient in his first year of competition in the National Hockey League."

RNH was the "most proficient". He played enough games for his sample size to be considered reliable.

And on a side note, his sophomore slump hasn't been as bad as Landeskog's or Henrique's.

AUAIOMRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 01:41 PM
  #212
bleed_oil
Registered User
 
bleed_oil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 3,844
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drydenwasthebest View Post
You ever notice when I point out the realities of right now I keep getting told about what is going to happen in the future? Right NOW, Gallagher and Yakupov are comparable. Right NOW, Yakupov and Gallagher had very similar point production at the NHL level, even though Gallagher played less minutes per game. Right NOW, the two are very close and either one is a fair and respectable candidate for the Calder. So, YES, I am comparing the offensive capabilities of Gallagher and Yakupov because it is what you do when trying to determine who will win the Calder right NOW. I will also recognize that point production is not the ONLY determining factor for the Calder, but is a significant one. Overall play, both defensive and offensive, impact on the player's team, leadership skills, character, etc...there are many factors that go into determining who should win the Calder. I would have no problem with either Yakupov or Gallagher winning the Calder as both are good enough to deserve it right NOW.

I will let time, and you young seers, determine who will be better in the future.
By the numbers, Yak is the better player Right NOW. End of story.

bleed_oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 01:45 PM
  #213
Six in O6
Registered User
 
Six in O6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,492
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AUAIOMRN View Post
Not true. From the NHL website itself: "The Calder Memorial Trophy is an annual award given to the player selected as the most proficient in his first year of competition in the National Hockey League."

RNH was the "most proficient". He played enough games for his sample size to be considered reliable.

And on a side note, his sophomore slump hasn't been as bad as Landeskog's or Henrique's.
Plus, he was obviously playing through an injury.

Six in O6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 01:46 PM
  #214
CupofOil
Visually, we suck.
 
CupofOil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Rock Bottom
Country: United States
Posts: 14,353
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
What the hell's all the rage about Brodin? He wasn't even best performing rookie dman... never mind best rookie.

Wiercioch, Muzzin, Hamilton and our very own Justin Schultz were all better... yep even Justin Schultz. It's not all about +/- and time on ice.

Who will win it?

Should be Galchenyuk. Seems to have the best production for the ice time he was given... and he's a high profile Eastern-based player so it's an even bigger plus for him.
Completely wrong.
I'm flabbergasted at all the Brodin underrating around here.
Who cares if he was paired with Suter, the kid earned his way onto the top pairing. He was excellent even before being paired with Suter and earned his promotion. I would say that Suter benefitted playing with Brodin almost as much as Brodin benefitted from Suter. I saw enough of him to judge that he was great this season, MUCH better than Schultz and deserves to be nominated for the Calder IMO.
I'm sure that the Calder voters look at more than just a statline to determine how well the rookies played.
With that being said, if Yakupov isn't at least nominated, it would be a travesty especially if Huberdeau is in the top 3 and not Yakupov.

CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 01:53 PM
  #215
Drydenwasthebest
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 3,768
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shogun99 View Post
And in those 75% of games he outplayed every rookie, was tied for the lead in points and was one of the main reasons why our PP went from bottom of the league to top of the league. After Gallagher wins the Calder this year watch voters defend him over Yakupov by saying that if Gallagher played a full season he might be tied for the rookie lead in points. The same voters that last year voted for Landeskog because he played more games then RNH.
Come on, really? Gallagher only played 4 less games than Yakupov, not 12 less games (which would be 25% of this year). Yakupov and Gallagher were tremendously close in points with only a 4 game difference, not over 20 game difference. If Gallagher wins, it will be because of his ability to produce points COMBINED with multiple other factors, not because he simply played 4 less games. He is not in the same situation as Landeskog and RNH from last year. Yes, if Gallagher played 4 more games he MIGHT have gotten more points and come clse to Yakupov's total, but that would only be part of the reason for Gallagher (or Huberdeau, or Galchenyuk, or Saad) to win, not the only reason.

Drydenwasthebest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 02:01 PM
  #216
Drydenwasthebest
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 3,768
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleed_oil View Post
By the numbers, Yak is the better player Right NOW. End of story.
Based on...??? By which numbers? Total points or ppg average? By asists or goals? By hits or blocked shots? By time on ice, even strength or PP? What about +/-? Which numbers are you limiting the equation to? The Calder Trophy is not the Rocket Richard trophy. One is very straight forward (most goals scored in the NHL), the other is more complicated (most proficient). So, you are trying to limit the voting to the one number that you believe proves who is the better player (total points). That is not how the Calder is determined. Points alone are not enough to get the Calder, they are simply one of the determining factors. Yakupov scored the most points right NOW, he is not necessarily the "most proficient" player, right NOW. Nice try, though...

Drydenwasthebest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 02:09 PM
  #217
zeus3007*
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Red Deer, Alberta
Posts: 13,227
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koto View Post
no it wasnt.


the award is not for potential, its not to redo the last draft, its for who had the best year. its tough to have the best year if you only play 75% of the games.
Not when you are better in those 75 percent of the games than the guy who actually was given (I refuse to say he won) the award.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 02:12 PM
  #218
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs
 
Moonlapse Vertigo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,071
vCash: 500
While I do agree that Gallagher deserves to win, history tells us that most of the time the rookie with the most points (in this case goals and points) wins the Calder Trophy.

All of this intangible talk seemed to be thrust to the forefront last year.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 03:15 PM
  #219
LaGu
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Taino
Posts: 1,658
vCash: 500
Can we pretty please change the title of this thread to "and the Calder 2013 goes to..."

LaGu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 03:18 PM
  #220
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face
 
Reimer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,322
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shogun99 View Post
This year is so close that you can make a legitimate claim for 8 guys to win, Huberdeau, Yakupov, Brodin, Saad, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Conacher or Schultz.
Last year was a robbery with RNH not winning.
Nah RNH not winning wasn't robbery him getting a 5th place vote was an absolute joke though.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 03:34 PM
  #221
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face
 
Reimer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,322
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Prez View Post
Can someone confirm what I read on the main boards that the Calder votes had to be in before 8PM on Sat? (meaning the votes were due before the Vancouver game)
Bobby Mac tweeted this earlier today:

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 5h "@ThePHWA: REMINDER - PHWA MEMBERS Pls Retweet: Today is deadline for NHL Awards Voting. Get votes in this aft."/Filling out ballot now.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 12:44 AM
  #222
Crimson Live
Registered User
 
Crimson Live's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Örnsköldsvik
Country: Sweden
Posts: 50
vCash: 500
Brodin played 34+ minutes tonight...

Crimson Live is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 12:47 AM
  #223
Tarus
Fire Mact
 
Tarus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,667
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Live View Post
Brodin played 34+ minutes tonight...
Just hand him the Conn Smythe right now people!

Tarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 01:22 AM
  #224
okgooil
Registered User
 
okgooil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 12,300
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Live View Post
Brodin played 34+ minutes tonight...
ya, but he still doens't put up great number. I agree, he is has been deadly, but they like to see some numbers before they give you the Calder. Just based on numbers yaks should win.

For what its worth I think Shultz should take it, but they will look at his +/-

okgooil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 10:38 PM
  #225
dubs
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 420
vCash: 500
How in the hell do some writers have Saad ahead of Yakupov? Eg. Scott Cullen.

dubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:51 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.