HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who will the Canes Draft at #5?

View Poll Results: Who do you think the Canes will end up drafting?
Jones 1 1.28%
MacKinnon 0 0%
Druin 0 0%
Barkov 9 11.54%
Nichushkin 20 25.64%
Lindholm 4 5.13%
Monahan 28 35.90%
Ristolainen 2 2.56%
Zadorov 0 0%
Nurse 10 12.82%
They will trade the pick 3 3.85%
Other 1 1.28%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Old
04-30-2013, 12:25 PM
Chrispy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway to Cap Hell View Post

Either way, gotta hope that someone falls into our lap a la Murphy. IIRC Tampa can usually be counted on to screw things up (Brett Connolly anyone?).
I think this is more likely than assumed so far. Murphy 2 years ago, Fowler 3 years ago, and last year had the Canes stayed at 8 they had a choice between Forsberg and Grigorenko for falling players.

Wouldn't surprise me to see one of those 4 slip to the Canes, especially with the way Monahan is being talked about.

Chrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 12:27 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Also, for what it's worth, all 3 mock drafts on NHL.com have us taking Nichushkin at 5 (with some combination of Barkov, Jones, Drouin and MacKinnon going in the top 4).

It's a real shame...this has become a 4 person race and we sit at 5th overall.
I don't see it as a 4 person race at all. The hype at this time of year tends to blow the gaps between players way out of proportion. After McKinnon and MAYBE Drouin, there's not a huge difference in quality in the next 3 or 4 forwards on the board. Nichushkin is an amazing talent to have available in our range. If Monahan comes close to the hype he's generating right now (top 4 pick according to some of this chatter!?) then that would also be an incredible steal. If those guys don't get to us, it's because Barkov or Drouin fell into our laps. It's pretty much a no-lose unless JR decides to make an insane reach for Bo Horvat or something.

What would really suck this year would be to have the #8 pick, and have to hope that a team ahead of you completely loses their minds. And even at that, there's still a decent likelihood that someone falls out of the top-5 as usually happens on draft day.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 12:33 PM
Novacane
My Hero

Monahan. I'm getting excited reading about the guy (of course, taking it with a grain of salt). I hope my dreams aren't dashed with a reach at that spot.

Novacane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 12:34 PM
Chrispy

tarheelhockey makes a good point about the talent of Nichushkin. We aren't focused on it because of the Russian factor, but if he is willing to play in the NHL he sounds like he belongs in that top tier.

And if the Canes were sitting at #4, I think many here would be bemoaning that this is a 3 person race of Jones, Drouin, and MacKinnon. The selection of Barkov would be more clear, but I think many would be hoping one of the top 3 slips instead.

Chrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 12:35 PM
Anton Skinner
DAT PASS

how is getting someone at 5 who other have "in" their top 4 considered a steal when said player hasnt been near the top 4 the rest of the year?

Anton Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 12:47 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
I predict that Monahan will jump Barkov on a lot of team boards, but will it be teams that matter for the order in which they are taken?

Barkov has one considerable knock that is keeping him out of the class with Drouin and MacKinnon, and it's skating concerns. How many times have we seen that as a death knell for guys slated to otherwise go higher?

The old draft adage being that it only takes one team to like you more than the others applies here. If Monahan leaps Barkov, or even more surprisingly leaps Drouin for Yzerman and Tampa Bay who may be looking at a more defensive option, then the possibility of Barkov becomes even more tangible.

The important thing to remember is that Barkov is one of the youngest players available in this draft and his immediate impact may not be felt if the drafting team allows him to return to Finland for what should effectively be his draft season. Will his skating improve as his body matures? That's the gamble. What isn't debatable is his obvious talent with the puck. Nashville in particular needs a pick that works right away. Don't bet on Monahan being on the board after them.

Vagrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 12:47 PM
Brock Anton
Deal with it.

Quote:
Monahan will penetrate the top 4. The combination of Eric Staal and Jonathan Toews will be too much for Yzerman or Poile.

I really see Drouin (playstyle + size) or Barkov (Finnish + injured at the moment) falling to us at 5.
Drouin ain't dropping. Barkov, maybe, but I don't see it.

Brock Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 12:53 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock Anton View Post
Drouin ain't dropping. Barkov, maybe, but I don't see it.
I don't see Drouin going to Carolina, but the possibility of Tampa going with Monahan or Nashville going with Monahan certainly will be a consideration for both clubs. Tampa has a glut of talented and undersized prospects, thus how expendable Conacher was made. They also have an elite level prospect that plays one end of the rink in Brett Connolly and Stamkos will never be known for his three zone game. While on pure talent, the pick is clearly Drouin, it will be a strong battle of BPA against organizational need for Yzerman who has been unafraid to make his own evaluations about players. If Carolina was interested in moving up, Tampa Bay is who I would have on the line. That team is like Edmonton in a lot of ways with too much youth kicking the door down and players on the down turn of their career by all logical standards holding roster spots.

Nashville needs to draft a pick that will play in the NHL, IMO. Quite a bit of pressure on a team that has historically used entry level players to traverse the gap between more cash strapped teams.

Vagrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 01:09 PM
Carolinas Identity
This is ARRGH State!

vCash: 50
Nichuskin or Barkov. I voted Barkov but I'd be ecstatic with either. As has been said I think there's a good chance Nichuskin could play here next year, think they'll get all that KHL stuff figured out.

Carolinas Identity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 01:17 PM
Finnpin

Barkov's skating won't be a problem. He is always positioned so well on the ice that he doesn't have to use his wheels as often as somebody else and when he has to he can skate ok...and he can improve in it when his body/growth is set. If you can think/read game fast you don't need speedy wheels.

And what was this Rask talking in 1st page

Last edited by Finnpin: 04-30-2013 at 01:22 PM.
Finnpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 01:23 PM
StormCast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnpin View Post
Questioning how the Canes see his future if another C is drafted. But not sure what you're asking.

StormCast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 01:23 PM
Sad King Jimmy
Look up, Hannah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnpin View Post
Victor Rask, he's the Canes top forward prospect

Sad King Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 02:28 PM
GoCanes2013

If JR is set on getting someone 'ready to play next year in the NHL' (did he say that?) does that drop Barkov off of our list?

GoCanes2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 02:38 PM
Jussijuice

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCanes2013 View Post
If JR is set on getting someone 'ready to play next year in the NHL' (did he say that?) does that drop Barkov off of our list?
Barkov is probably the most ready to play prospect in the Draft (and also one of the youngest).

The Swedish, Finnish, and Slovakian Elite Leagues have a transfer agreement with the NHL that allows them to move whenever they like. Not sure why it would drop him off the list?

Jussijuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 03:22 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
Trick Daddy

vCash: 2498
Invalid poll, I don't see Ryan Hartman listed anywhere.

Seriously though, Monahan, baring any kind of slip by the top 4.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 03:30 PM
Roboturner913

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussijuice View Post
Barkov is probably the most ready to play prospect in the Draft (and also one of the youngest).

The Swedish, Finnish, and Slovakian Elite Leagues have a transfer agreement with the NHL that allows them to move whenever they like. Not sure why it would drop him off the list?
The more I think about it, the more I believe Nashville will take him. They've never had anything close to a franchise center and it's by far their most glaring need.

Roboturner913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 06:01 PM
SashaSemin28
Because Its The Caps

Send a message via Skype™ to SashaSemin28
Nichushkin, Dynamo Moscow have just bought out his contract with Traktor Chelyabinsk, and it makes him an RFA. He has to sign with Dynamo on the same terms I think it is as his Traktor contract or he comes over to North America. Also Nichushkin is arguably more NHL ready than Barkov after being one of Traktor's better players in the Gagarin Cup run

SashaSemin28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 08:04 PM
totalkev

I don't know how we can pass on Nichushkin. If you eliminate the Russian factor, he's in the conversation for No. 1 overall. Don't we simply have to add that kind of talent? What would be the justification for *not* taking him? That he won't play here *this* year? After Malkin was drafted in 2004, there was the lockout season that wasn't in 2004-05, then he *still* stayed in Russia for another year after the lockout. We're really going to take a pass because this guy may play *one* season in Russia? If that happens, JR really has lost his mind, IMO.

Trying to win now is one thing, being short-sighted is another. This would be the latter, IMO. You simply don't use the NHL Draft to improve your NHL team right away. Any team that tries, will be sentenced to a lifetime of mediocrity. Oh wait ...

Ask yourself this, five years down the road, when these guys are 23 and contending for MVPs and Stanley Cups, who do you think will be the best player?

totalkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 08:08 PM
Gr8Dan

If he played in the chl like yakupov last year he would possibly top mackinnon and drouin.

Gr8Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 08:17 PM
impeach estaalo
timgleson

Drafting for next year is so retarded. You could sign some 35 year old bottom sixer for $1.5M that would outperform (in the short term) anyone available where we're picking.

But what do I know, I'm not the general manager of a hockey team who thinks it's a good idea for a frail, 19-year old Brandon Sutter to play 8 minutes a game on a line with Ryan Bayda

impeach estaalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 09:26 PM
Boom Boom Anton

Quote:
Originally Posted by totalkev View Post

Ask yourself this, five years down the road, when these guys are 23 and contending for MVPs and Stanley Cups, who do you think will be the best player?

You aren't saying anything new or earth shattering as far as many fans go. I think most on here agree that the Canes should take the BPA, even if it means he won't be here for a couple of years. And any team that relies on a new draft pick to be successful has a lot of other problems, but this poll isn't asking who we think the Canes should take, it's asking who do we think Rutherford and company will take.

Even if Nichushkin is the obvious best player at #5, I just don't see Rutherford making that pick. Whether you, I or anybody else disagrees with that is kind of irrelevant. If I am wrong, then no problem and good for the Canes, but I'll be shocked if JR makes that pick.

Boom Boom Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 09:31 PM
Roboturner913

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaxing Joni Jokel View Post
Drafting for next year is so retarded. You could sign some 35 year old bottom sixer for $1.5M that would outperform (in the short term) anyone available where we're picking.

But what do I know, I'm not the general manager of a hockey team who thinks it's a good idea for a frail, 19-year old Brandon Sutter to play 8 minutes a game on a line with Ryan Bayda
Not sure the analogy holds, none of these guys compare to Brandon Sutter. None of them need that much development.

If Nychushkin is such a man-beast where is the production? I understand it's more of a defensive game over there, but 10 points in 38 games does not scream "this is the next Malkin" to me. I'm not saying he sucks, I just don't see where he's head and shoulders over any of the other forwards.

Roboturner913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 09:35 PM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
All Aboard

Malkin on Magnitogorsk Metallurg:

03-04: 34 games, 3 goals, 9 assists, 12 points
04-05: 52 games, 12 goals, 20 assists, 32 points
05-06: 46 games, 21 goals, 26 assists, 47 points

04-30-2013, 09:39 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
Trick Daddy

vCash: 2498
Quote:
Originally Posted by SashaSemin28 View Post
Nichushkin, Dynamo Moscow have just bought out his contract with Traktor Chelyabinsk, and it makes him an RFA. He has to sign with Dynamo on the same terms I think it is as his Traktor contract or he comes over to North America. Also Nichushkin is arguably more NHL ready than Barkov after being one of Traktor's better players in the Gagarin Cup run
When did that happen? Definitely makes him a factor at #5, if not earlier (Tampa fans seem to think they're looking hard at him as well).

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 09:41 PM
MD
#woofwoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotta Catch Em Staal View Post
Malkin on Magnitogorsk Metallurg:

03-04: 34 games, 3 goals, 9 assists, 12 points
04-05: 52 games, 12 goals, 20 assists, 32 points
05-06: 46 games, 21 goals, 26 assists, 47 points
Was just going to post this as well. His stats are not that different at this point.

MD is offline   Reply With Quote