HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

2013 NHL Draft Part 3 (Flyers own the 11th overall pick)

Closed Thread

Old
04-30-2013, 12:36 PM
Jtown

vCash: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
This. Pulock's skating last season was an absolutely liability, but I saw more than enough games this season where Pulock's skating was a complete non-issue. Sometimes guys just get this stigma attached to them that lingers after they address the deficiency.

I've beat the drum enough for Ryan Pulock though. He's going to be an an excellent contributor at the NHL level and is already more polished in certain areas of his game than guys likely to be taken higher.

The Ryan Suter comparison was a pretty excellent choice.

As the least mobile defense in the nhl the flyers don't need Dmen whose skating is not a liability. They need Dmen who's skating is an asset.

Old
04-30-2013, 12:37 PM
Jack de la Hoya

vCash: 500
Three (questionable) mini-mock drafts up on NHL.com. They have the Flyers picking Ristolainen, Nurse, and Shinkaruk respectively.

Old
04-30-2013, 12:41 PM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
As the least mobile defense in the nhl the flyers don't need Dmen whose skating is not a liability. They need Dmen who's skating is an asset.
You're not drafting a guy who is going to fix the D-core next year at 11. You're looking for a guy that you can develop to be the best all around D-man over the longer term.

If you think that our defensive core looks the same when Pulock (and/or Gostisbehere) is ready, you're seriously rushing these players.

Old
04-30-2013, 12:45 PM
Sniped
Snowballs at Santa

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
Is the only reason he chose Pulock is because it has a higher offensive upside than Nurse, Rist or Zad? From what I can tell, his height and weight make him sizable to come into the NHL as is, but I'm unsure about him. Still would rather have Nurse or Rist though. I will say about Pulock though, he would fill a void we haven't had since Pronger went down, and that is a good booming shot from the point.
I agree, I'd rather have Nurse or Risto. Zadorov or Pulock is a toss-up to me; if it came down to those two, it'd be either-or, for me.

Let's face it though, after the top 4, I believe it's a somewhat crap-shoot. There's always someone to reach for a player or two, and someone ALWAYS drops. So no doubt were gonna get a good player, but who knows who will be available.

Old
04-30-2013, 12:46 PM
JetsHomer

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
This. Pulock's skating last season was an absolutely liability, but I saw more than enough games this season where Pulock's skating was a complete non-issue. Sometimes guys just get this stigma attached to them that lingers after they address the deficiency.

I've beat the drum enough for Ryan Pulock though. He's going to be an an excellent contributor at the NHL level and is already more polished in certain areas of his game than guys likely to be taken higher.

The Ryan Suter comparison was a pretty excellent choice.
Ive seen him live a few times, he's pretty underrated I think. People say "he doesn't have much besides his slapshot" id disagree with that. He doesn't have any skills as good as his shot, but he has no glaring holes. He's a safe defender that is decently good at skating. Passing skills are underrated too. People forget how bad his team was. He ended up -12 and his team was like -100. They were terrible.

Craig Button compared to Al Macinnis, which works for me. He's not as good obviously, but similar styles. Pulock to me has a very high floor. He will be an NHLer. Probably a top 4 guy. I think his ceiling is more of a #2 D though. I don't see him being able to take over a game the way that #1D do. He'll be a very good complimentary piece. When he makes the NHL as a rookie he'll have a top 10 shot for Dmen. I could see him getting 15-20 goals per season in his prime. His slapper is very accurate too

Old
04-30-2013, 12:59 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

All this talk of possible D men the Flyers will take.... I suspect they make some moves at the draft and actually pick a forward they like and then acquire an established D man via trade. Article today noted how a Flyers source wants to focus on the D and to get bigger so to me they have some plan in mind that doesn't necessarily mean they will use their 1st rounder on a D man. They might trade down actually..I would like them to trade up or stay at 11 but I don't think they will..

Old
04-30-2013, 01:01 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
All this talk of possible D men the Flyers will take.... I suspect they make some moves at the draft and actually pick a forward they like and then acquire an established D man via trade. Article today noted how a Flyers source wants to focus on the D and to get bigger so to me they have some plan in mind that doesn't necessarily mean they will use their 1st rounder on a D man. They might trade down actually..I would like them to trade up or stay at 11 but I don't think they will..
Have the Flyers ever traded down in the 1st round?

I'm sure they have, but I certainly can't remember it.

Old
04-30-2013, 01:03 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post

I think they have...certainly trading their late first rounder for Eminger could be considered trading down

Old
04-30-2013, 01:05 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

I'd make a deal with Edmonton for the 7th pick only if Nurse is on the board when their name is called. Maybe if Nurse is still there after the 5th or 6th pick, we could just do the 11th + our 2nd for the 7th pick and grab Nurse.

Old
04-30-2013, 01:20 PM
Psuhockey

Quote:

They traded back for Steve Downie.

Old
04-30-2013, 01:25 PM
Jtown

I dont think Edmonton lets Nurse go. And if they do trade back i dont think they would trade to far back where they couldnt get a guy like Monahan.

Old
04-30-2013, 01:34 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
I dont think Edmonton lets Nurse go. And if they do trade back i dont think they would trade to far back where they couldnt get a guy like Monahan.
There's a rumor that the organization is high on Curtis Lazar. If they think he's the 2C of their dreams, they might be willing to move back, since it doens't make sense to pick him at 7.

Old
04-30-2013, 01:50 PM
Larry44

Quote:
Three (questionable) mini-mock drafts up on NHL.com. They have the Flyers picking Ristolainen, Nurse, and Shinkaruk respectively.
Jack, in fairness, all mock drafts, and our speculation, are questionable.

The Flyers' scouts have seen these guys and until draft day we won't know who they REALLY like, assuming he's available when they pick.

Sometimes the guy we want gets picked earlier, so instead of Sanguinetti, we got stuck with Girouz.

Last year we all wanted Maatta, but the scouts liked Laughton. So far it looks like they may be right (if Lappy's reports that other teams' scouts think he's the best player in the O are to be believed).

Whatever happens, don't be surprised if the guy we take is the one guy no one thought we would...

Signed, Old Flyer Fan who wasted too much time pouring over draft previews only to have the Flyers go off the board/trade up/trade down/trade the pick altogether.

Last edited by Larry44: 04-30-2013 at 02:25 PM. Reason: bad gramma
Old
04-30-2013, 01:53 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
Jack, in fairness, all mock drafts, and our speculation, is questionable.

The Flyers' scouts have seen these guys and until draft day we won't know who they REALLY like, assuming he's available when they pick.

Sometimes the guy we want gets picked earlier, so instead of Sanguinetti, we got stuck with Girouz.

Last year we all wanted Maatta, but the scouts liked Laughton. So far it looks like they may be right (if Lappy's reports that other teams' scouts think he's the best player in the O are to be believed).

Whatever happens, don't be surprised if the guy we take is the one guy no one thought we would...

Signed, Old Flyer Fan who wasted too much time pouring over draft previews only to have the Flyers go off the board/trade up/trade down/trade the pick altogether.
Oh I don't think any of those three projections (for the Flyers) are that out of line.

I was referring to the guy who has Pulock going 7th overall and Hagg going 9th overall(ahead of all the defensemen other than Jones), Fucale going 8th, and Ristolainen not being picked in the 1st round...

Last edited by Jack de la Hoya: 04-30-2013 at 01:58 PM.
Old
04-30-2013, 01:58 PM
Tripod

Quote:
There's a rumor that the organization is high on Curtis Lazar. If they think he's the 2C of their dreams, they might be willing to move back, since it doens't make sense to pick him at 7.
I think they would be better served to try and trade up from their 2nd rounder than drop from the 7th spot in the 1st. But hey, no one say Janikowski going where he went either. Or Thomas Hickey. So who knows what could happen.

Old
04-30-2013, 01:58 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
I'd make a deal with Edmonton for the 7th pick only if Nurse is on the board when their name is called. Maybe if Nurse is still there after the 5th or 6th pick, we could just do the 11th + our 2nd for the 7th pick and grab Nurse.
Depending on who else is available I wouldn't be into this. If 7th pick comes along and Nurse, Risto, Pulock, and Zadorov are available, I would not trade up (at least not giving up our first and second). I really don't think there is that much of a difference between the best of those four and the "worst" of those four. I think Nurse is better than Risto, who is better than Zadorov, who is better than Pulock, but I think they all project to be solid top four guys. Now, if for some reason Nurse is the only one left or Nurse and Risto or something like that, then I would think about it.

Old
04-30-2013, 01:59 PM
Jtown

Quote:
If that is the case, then i could see Columbus move up to that 7 slot especially if Nischuskain falls.

Old
04-30-2013, 02:00 PM
Jtown

Predicting a flyers pick is about as hard as it gets. WE always go off the board.

Old
04-30-2013, 02:03 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psuhockey View Post
They traded back for Steve Downie.
They also traded back for Jeff Woywitka.

Old
04-30-2013, 02:05 PM
Curufinwe

How much time is there between picks in the first round? I don't think I've actually sat down and watched the draft on TV before.

Quote:
Predicting a flyers pick is about as hard as it gets. WE always go off the board.
Were Carter and JVR off the board?

Old
04-30-2013, 02:12 PM
Brozgalov

Is our 2nd rounder number 11 as well? According to basically everyone, this is a deep draft... I think it's possible we could get 2 great players with our position. As others have stated, players always fall, and I'm sure the Flyers have plenty of "sleeper" picks they aren't afraid to go off the board on.

At 11 I'd like Nurse/Risto, Zadarov, Pulock, Mantha in that order. I think it's safe to say we will have a shot at one of them, but who knows if the Flyers are even interested.

It seems so far away..

Old
04-30-2013, 02:13 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
Were Carter and JVR off the board?
Carter was ranked the 27th ranked NA skater according CSS's final rankings in 2003. JVR was the 3rd ranked NA skater in 2007.

Old
04-30-2013, 02:17 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brozgalov View Post
Is our 2nd rounder number 11 as well? According to basically everyone, this is a deep draft... I think it's possible we could get 2 great players with our position. As others have stated, players always fall, and I'm sure the Flyers have plenty of "sleeper" picks they aren't afraid to go off the board on.

At 11 I'd like Nurse/Risto, Zadarov, Pulock, Mantha in that order. I think it's safe to say we will have a shot at one of them, but who knows if the Flyers are even interested.

It seems so far away..
Yes, it's the 41st pick overall. The only thing that changes is Florida gets the 31st pick and Colorado gets the 32nd. It reverts back to the final standings from the 2nd round and on.

Old
04-30-2013, 02:18 PM
Curufinwe

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
Carter was ranked the 27th ranked NA skater according CSS's final rankings in 2003. JVR was the 3rd ranked NA skater in 2007.
I didn't realize Carter was ranked so low.

Looking back at old drafts makes me nervous; so many total busts taken in the first round like Hugh Jessiman, the guy taken 12th overall after Carter in 2003.

Old
04-30-2013, 02:23 PM
Jtown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
I didn't realize Carter was ranked so low.

Looking back at old drafts makes me nervous; so many total busts taken in the first round like Hugh Jessiman, the guy taken 12th overall after Carter in 2003.
one of the many reasons why id never hesistate to trade a first rounder for a proven nhl player.

Closed Thread