HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

2013 NHL Draft Part 3 (Flyers own the 11th overall pick)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-30-2013, 12:36 PM
  #826
Jtown
Registered User
 
Jtown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Fairfax, Virginia
Posts: 10,354
vCash: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
This. Pulock's skating last season was an absolutely liability, but I saw more than enough games this season where Pulock's skating was a complete non-issue. Sometimes guys just get this stigma attached to them that lingers after they address the deficiency.

I've beat the drum enough for Ryan Pulock though. He's going to be an an excellent contributor at the NHL level and is already more polished in certain areas of his game than guys likely to be taken higher.

The Ryan Suter comparison was a pretty excellent choice.

As the least mobile defense in the nhl the flyers don't need Dmen whose skating is not a liability. They need Dmen who's skating is an asset.

Jtown is offline  
Old
04-30-2013, 12:37 PM
  #827
Jack de la Hoya
Registered User
 
Jack de la Hoya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 13,126
vCash: 500
Three (questionable) mini-mock drafts up on NHL.com. They have the Flyers picking Ristolainen, Nurse, and Shinkaruk respectively.

Jack de la Hoya is online now  
Old
04-30-2013, 12:41 PM
  #828
Broad Street Elite
Registered User
 
Broad Street Elite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 3,351
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
As the least mobile defense in the nhl the flyers don't need Dmen whose skating is not a liability. They need Dmen who's skating is an asset.
You're not drafting a guy who is going to fix the D-core next year at 11. You're looking for a guy that you can develop to be the best all around D-man over the longer term.

If you think that our defensive core looks the same when Pulock (and/or Gostisbehere) is ready, you're seriously rushing these players.

Broad Street Elite is offline  
Old
04-30-2013, 12:45 PM
  #829
Sniped
Snowballs at Santa
 
Sniped's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Philly
Country: United States
Posts: 1,876
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
Is the only reason he chose Pulock is because it has a higher offensive upside than Nurse, Rist or Zad? From what I can tell, his height and weight make him sizable to come into the NHL as is, but I'm unsure about him. Still would rather have Nurse or Rist though. I will say about Pulock though, he would fill a void we haven't had since Pronger went down, and that is a good booming shot from the point.
I agree, I'd rather have Nurse or Risto. Zadorov or Pulock is a toss-up to me; if it came down to those two, it'd be either-or, for me.

Let's face it though, after the top 4, I believe it's a somewhat crap-shoot. There's always someone to reach for a player or two, and someone ALWAYS drops. So no doubt were gonna get a good player, but who knows who will be available.

Sniped is offline  
Old
04-30-2013, 12:46 PM
  #830
JetsHomer
Registered User
 
JetsHomer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 3,314
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
This. Pulock's skating last season was an absolutely liability, but I saw more than enough games this season where Pulock's skating was a complete non-issue. Sometimes guys just get this stigma attached to them that lingers after they address the deficiency.

I've beat the drum enough for Ryan Pulock though. He's going to be an an excellent contributor at the NHL level and is already more polished in certain areas of his game than guys likely to be taken higher.

The Ryan Suter comparison was a pretty excellent choice.
Ive seen him live a few times, he's pretty underrated I think. People say "he doesn't have much besides his slapshot" id disagree with that. He doesn't have any skills as good as his shot, but he has no glaring holes. He's a safe defender that is decently good at skating. Passing skills are underrated too. People forget how bad his team was. He ended up -12 and his team was like -100. They were terrible.

Craig Button compared to Al Macinnis, which works for me. He's not as good obviously, but similar styles. Pulock to me has a very high floor. He will be an NHLer. Probably a top 4 guy. I think his ceiling is more of a #2 D though. I don't see him being able to take over a game the way that #1D do. He'll be a very good complimentary piece. When he makes the NHL as a rookie he'll have a top 10 shot for Dmen. I could see him getting 15-20 goals per season in his prime. His slapper is very accurate too

JetsHomer is offline  
Old
04-30-2013, 12:59 PM
  #831
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!
 
FreshPerspective's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Italy
Posts: 10,361
vCash: 500
All this talk of possible D men the Flyers will take.... I suspect they make some moves at the draft and actually pick a forward they like and then acquire an established D man via trade. Article today noted how a Flyers source wants to focus on the D and to get bigger so to me they have some plan in mind that doesn't necessarily mean they will use their 1st rounder on a D man. They might trade down actually..I would like them to trade up or stay at 11 but I don't think they will..

FreshPerspective is offline  
Old
04-30-2013, 01:01 PM
  #832
Jack de la Hoya
Registered User
 
Jack de la Hoya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 13,126
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
All this talk of possible D men the Flyers will take.... I suspect they make some moves at the draft and actually pick a forward they like and then acquire an established D man via trade. Article today noted how a Flyers source wants to focus on the D and to get bigger so to me they have some plan in mind that doesn't necessarily mean they will use their 1st rounder on a D man. They might trade down actually..I would like them to trade up or stay at 11 but I don't think they will..
Have the Flyers ever traded down in the 1st round?

I'm sure they have, but I certainly can't remember it.

Jack de la Hoya is online now  
Old
04-30-2013, 01:03 PM
  #833
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!
 
FreshPerspective's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Italy
Posts: 10,361
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post
Have the Flyers ever traded down in the 1st round?

I'm sure they have, but I certainly can't remember it.
I think they have...certainly trading their late first rounder for Eminger could be considered trading down

FreshPerspective is offline  
Old
04-30-2013, 01:05 PM
  #834
orange is better
than other colors...
 
orange is better's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 7,725
vCash: 500
I'd make a deal with Edmonton for the 7th pick only if Nurse is on the board when their name is called. Maybe if Nurse is still there after the 5th or 6th pick, we could just do the 11th + our 2nd for the 7th pick and grab Nurse.

orange is better is offline  
Old
04-30-2013, 01:20 PM
  #835
Psuhockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,852
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post
Have the Flyers ever traded down in the 1st round?

I'm sure they have, but I certainly can't remember it.
They traded back for Steve Downie.

Psuhockey is offline  
Old
04-30-2013, 01:25 PM
  #836
Jtown
Registered User
 
Jtown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Fairfax, Virginia
Posts: 10,354
vCash: 539
I dont think Edmonton lets Nurse go. And if they do trade back i dont think they would trade to far back where they couldnt get a guy like Monahan.

Jtown is offline  
Old
04-30-2013, 01:34 PM
  #837
Jack de la Hoya
Registered User
 
Jack de la Hoya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 13,126
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
I dont think Edmonton lets Nurse go. And if they do trade back i dont think they would trade to far back where they couldnt get a guy like Monahan.
There's a rumor that the organization is high on Curtis Lazar. If they think he's the 2C of their dreams, they might be willing to move back, since it doens't make sense to pick him at 7.

Jack de la Hoya is online now  
Old
04-30-2013, 01:50 PM
  #838
Larry44
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 5,087
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post
Three (questionable) mini-mock drafts up on NHL.com. They have the Flyers picking Ristolainen, Nurse, and Shinkaruk respectively.
Jack, in fairness, all mock drafts, and our speculation, are questionable.

The Flyers' scouts have seen these guys and until draft day we won't know who they REALLY like, assuming he's available when they pick.

Sometimes the guy we want gets picked earlier, so instead of Sanguinetti, we got stuck with Girouz.

Last year we all wanted Maatta, but the scouts liked Laughton. So far it looks like they may be right (if Lappy's reports that other teams' scouts think he's the best player in the O are to be believed).

Whatever happens, don't be surprised if the guy we take is the one guy no one thought we would...

Signed, Old Flyer Fan who wasted too much time pouring over draft previews only to have the Flyers go off the board/trade up/trade down/trade the pick altogether.


Last edited by Larry44: 04-30-2013 at 02:25 PM. Reason: bad gramma
Larry44 is offline  
Old
04-30-2013, 01:53 PM
  #839
Jack de la Hoya
Registered User
 
Jack de la Hoya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 13,126
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
Jack, in fairness, all mock drafts, and our speculation, is questionable.

The Flyers' scouts have seen these guys and until draft day we won't know who they REALLY like, assuming he's available when they pick.

Sometimes the guy we want gets picked earlier, so instead of Sanguinetti, we got stuck with Girouz.

Last year we all wanted Maatta, but the scouts liked Laughton. So far it looks like they may be right (if Lappy's reports that other teams' scouts think he's the best player in the O are to be believed).

Whatever happens, don't be surprised if the guy we take is the one guy no one thought we would...

Signed, Old Flyer Fan who wasted too much time pouring over draft previews only to have the Flyers go off the board/trade up/trade down/trade the pick altogether.
Oh I don't think any of those three projections (for the Flyers) are that out of line.

I was referring to the guy who has Pulock going 7th overall and Hagg going 9th overall(ahead of all the defensemen other than Jones), Fucale going 8th, and Ristolainen not being picked in the 1st round...


Last edited by Jack de la Hoya: 04-30-2013 at 01:58 PM.
Jack de la Hoya is online now  
Old
04-30-2013, 01:58 PM
  #840
Tripod
Registered User
 
Tripod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 8,037
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post
There's a rumor that the organization is high on Curtis Lazar. If they think he's the 2C of their dreams, they might be willing to move back, since it doens't make sense to pick him at 7.
I think they would be better served to try and trade up from their 2nd rounder than drop from the 7th spot in the 1st. But hey, no one say Janikowski going where he went either. Or Thomas Hickey. So who knows what could happen.

Tripod is online now  
Old
04-30-2013, 01:58 PM
  #841
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,366
vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
I'd make a deal with Edmonton for the 7th pick only if Nurse is on the board when their name is called. Maybe if Nurse is still there after the 5th or 6th pick, we could just do the 11th + our 2nd for the 7th pick and grab Nurse.
Depending on who else is available I wouldn't be into this. If 7th pick comes along and Nurse, Risto, Pulock, and Zadorov are available, I would not trade up (at least not giving up our first and second). I really don't think there is that much of a difference between the best of those four and the "worst" of those four. I think Nurse is better than Risto, who is better than Zadorov, who is better than Pulock, but I think they all project to be solid top four guys. Now, if for some reason Nurse is the only one left or Nurse and Risto or something like that, then I would think about it.

DrinkFightFlyers is online now  
Old
04-30-2013, 01:59 PM
  #842
Jtown
Registered User
 
Jtown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Fairfax, Virginia
Posts: 10,354
vCash: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post
There's a rumor that the organization is high on Curtis Lazar. If they think he's the 2C of their dreams, they might be willing to move back, since it doens't make sense to pick him at 7.
If that is the case, then i could see Columbus move up to that 7 slot especially if Nischuskain falls.

Jtown is offline  
Old
04-30-2013, 02:00 PM
  #843
Jtown
Registered User
 
Jtown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Fairfax, Virginia
Posts: 10,354
vCash: 539
Predicting a flyers pick is about as hard as it gets. WE always go off the board.

Jtown is offline  
Old
04-30-2013, 02:03 PM
  #844
BobbyClarkeFan16
Registered User
 
BobbyClarkeFan16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: London Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,890
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psuhockey View Post
They traded back for Steve Downie.
They also traded back for Jeff Woywitka.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is online now  
Old
04-30-2013, 02:05 PM
  #845
Curufinwe
Registered User
 
Curufinwe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Country: New Zealand
Posts: 7,424
vCash: 500
How much time is there between picks in the first round? I don't think I've actually sat down and watched the draft on TV before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
Predicting a flyers pick is about as hard as it gets. WE always go off the board.
Were Carter and JVR off the board?

Curufinwe is online now  
Old
04-30-2013, 02:12 PM
  #846
Brozgalov
Registered User
 
Brozgalov's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bucks County, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 338
vCash: 500
Is our 2nd rounder number 11 as well? According to basically everyone, this is a deep draft... I think it's possible we could get 2 great players with our position. As others have stated, players always fall, and I'm sure the Flyers have plenty of "sleeper" picks they aren't afraid to go off the board on.

At 11 I'd like Nurse/Risto, Zadarov, Pulock, Mantha in that order. I think it's safe to say we will have a shot at one of them, but who knows if the Flyers are even interested.

It seems so far away..

Brozgalov is offline  
Old
04-30-2013, 02:13 PM
  #847
LegionOfDoom91
Registered User
 
LegionOfDoom91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,364
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
Were Carter and JVR off the board?
Carter was ranked the 27th ranked NA skater according CSS's final rankings in 2003. JVR was the 3rd ranked NA skater in 2007.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline  
Old
04-30-2013, 02:17 PM
  #848
LegionOfDoom91
Registered User
 
LegionOfDoom91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,364
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brozgalov View Post
Is our 2nd rounder number 11 as well? According to basically everyone, this is a deep draft... I think it's possible we could get 2 great players with our position. As others have stated, players always fall, and I'm sure the Flyers have plenty of "sleeper" picks they aren't afraid to go off the board on.

At 11 I'd like Nurse/Risto, Zadarov, Pulock, Mantha in that order. I think it's safe to say we will have a shot at one of them, but who knows if the Flyers are even interested.

It seems so far away..
Yes, it's the 41st pick overall. The only thing that changes is Florida gets the 31st pick and Colorado gets the 32nd. It reverts back to the final standings from the 2nd round and on.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline  
Old
04-30-2013, 02:18 PM
  #849
Curufinwe
Registered User
 
Curufinwe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Country: New Zealand
Posts: 7,424
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
Carter was ranked the 27th ranked NA skater according CSS's final rankings in 2003. JVR was the 3rd ranked NA skater in 2007.
I didn't realize Carter was ranked so low.

Looking back at old drafts makes me nervous; so many total busts taken in the first round like Hugh Jessiman, the guy taken 12th overall after Carter in 2003.

Curufinwe is online now  
Old
04-30-2013, 02:23 PM
  #850
Jtown
Registered User
 
Jtown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Fairfax, Virginia
Posts: 10,354
vCash: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
I didn't realize Carter was ranked so low.

Looking back at old drafts makes me nervous; so many total busts taken in the first round like Hugh Jessiman, the guy taken 12th overall after Carter in 2003.
one of the many reasons why id never hesistate to trade a first rounder for a proven nhl player.

Jtown is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:07 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.