HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Around the NHL Part Six(66): The Number of the Beast

Old
04-29-2013, 03:35 PM
Lucky Lindy

vCash: 500
Carolinas Identity: Just curious, where did you live in Sweden? Stockholm, Gothenburg, maybe Malmo (Malmö).

Lucky Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 05:08 PM
Blown Away

If this is true any NHL relocation to Seattle is also dead. No NBA, no arena.

Dan Wetzel ‏@DanWetzel 4m

RT @WojYahooNBA: The NBA committees have voted no to relocation of Kings to Seattle, sources tell Y! Sports.

Blown Away is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 05:16 PM
Finlandia WOAT
bench Famous Jameis

Phoenix is dead in the water, but where are they going to go?

"You sensed that you should be following a different path, a more ambitious one, you felt that you were destined for other things but you had no idea how to achieve them and in your misery you began to hate everything around you."
Finlandia WOAT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 05:24 PM
Carolinas Identity
Embrace the cold...

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soap View Post
Carolinas Identity: Just curious, where did you live in Sweden? Stockholm, Gothenburg, maybe Malmo (Malmö).
Suburb of Stockholm, Solna. I have several good friends in Umeå tho so spent my fair share of time there. Officially my address was in Solna tho

Carolinas Identity is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 05:44 PM
Lucky Lindy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolinas Identity View Post
Suburb of Stockholm, Solna. I have several good friends in Umeå tho so spent my fair share of time there. Officially my address was in Solna tho
Solna... Blah.

Well, I live pretty close to Sthlm/Solna, I guess you never was in a town called Åkersberga?

Lucky Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 05:49 PM
Blown Away

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway to Cap Hell View Post
Phoenix is dead in the water, but where are they going to go?
Well Quebec City is auditioning...

Renaud Lavoie ‏@RenLavoieRDS 33m

Canadiens will face the Hurricanes in a preseason game in Quebec City on September 20th.

I suspect the 'yotes will be in PHX for another year. A relocation would need to be announced within a couple of months to give the new market time to prepare, sell tickets, etc.

Old
04-29-2013, 10:25 PM
Roboturner913
Bros Before Ahos

My money's on Houston. Largest city in N.A. without an NHL team and a long history of solid support for the Aeros. Hell they can even retain the name now that the AHL team is moving to Iowa. Makes all kinds of sense.

Roboturner913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 10:41 PM
BanginLikeaBiscuit
You are admonished!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboturner913 View Post
My money's on Houston. Largest city in N.A. without an NHL team and a long history of solid support for the Aeros. Hell they can even retain the name now that the AHL team is moving to Iowa. Makes all kinds of sense.
Yeah, I'd say other than Houston, Kansas City is the most likely US city. And I'd put a second team in the Toronto area and Quebec City as the most likely Canadian cities.

BanginLikeaBiscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 12:43 AM
Carolinas Identity
Embrace the cold...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soap View Post
Solna... Blah.

Well, I live pretty close to Sthlm/Solna, I guess you never was in a town called Åkersberga?
And before you ask...

Ja, Jag kan tala på Svenska, men, det är inte so god. Så, var snäll och tala långsammare. Mycket tack!!

Old
04-30-2013, 09:33 AM
Blown Away

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanginLikeaBiscuit View Post
Yeah, I'd say other than Houston, Kansas City is the most likely US city. And I'd put a second team in the Toronto area and Quebec City as the most likely Canadian cities.
For some reason Houston is rarely mentioned in expansion/relocation discussions. Too many sunbelt disappointments? Atlanta comes to mind.

GTA will not get a relocated team. They will get an expansion team. That way the owners can collect a windfall from the expansion fee. (This explains why the owners think expansion is a good idea when there are a number of existing franchises that are struggling.)

Qubec City is not very big. It has a metro population of 750k or roughly 3/4 of Wake County's population. Sure they are enthusiastic, but are there enough people to support a team? This is a similar situation to Winnipeg. Both these markets lost teams previously.

I'm not sold on KC. It is a small market (#31), smaller than Raleigh (#24). They also already have long established NFL and MLB teams to compete with.

Seattle was a good option and could reemerge if they can find an ownership group to back the proposed arena with hockey instead of basketball. Portland could be another option in the Northwest.

The best option for the Coyotes is to stay in PHX if the ownership situation can ever be resolved.

Old
04-30-2013, 10:50 AM
Roboturner913
Bros Before Ahos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blown Away View Post
For some reason Houston is rarely mentioned in expansion/relocation discussions. Too many sunbelt disappointments? Atlanta comes to mind.
That's just small-minded attitude from certain people who don't want to see another southern team. Sheer population alone makes Houston a good bet. Add in the fact that they supported the Aeros so well for so long, and the impact of an instant rivalry with the Stars. I have no doubt Houston would be a big hit.

Atlanta failed because of all the big American cities, it's by far the worst sports town. The Braves are overall one of the most successful pro sports teams over the last 20 years, but nobody goes to their games. The Falcons sell out because it's the NFL, but they've hardly captured the hearts of minds of the town either. Part of the problem with Atlanta is that nobody who lives there is actually from there. No sense of regional pride. That's definitely not the case in Texas.

Roboturner913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 11:23 AM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
NEVER 4GET

Case in point: the Atlanta Hawks are currently selling playoff tickets on Living Social for $16. At tip off for last night's playoff game:

04-30-2013, 11:39 AM
Guy

A lot of Atlanta's issues also probably stem from the fact that while the metro area population is 4-5 million, Atlanta proper is under 500k. Atlanta is the king of sprawl.

Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 11:46 AM
garnetpalmetto
Global Moderator

It also cannot be understated that ASG are horrible, horrible people who've probably guaranteed their own special little circle in sports hell along with Howard Baldwin, Jim Balsillie, Jerry Moyes, and Huizenga.

04-30-2013, 12:10 PM
Lethargic
Cthulhu 2016

Traffic is also an issue with ATL, it's an adventure just to get from one side to the other most days.

Houston, Portland / Seattle, and Quebec City would be my 3 picks.

If PHX fails and has to relocate (which would really sucks, since it was still on my list of places to move to), I'd move them to Houston expand a team to Portland of Seattle(edge to Seattle with more money there), and expand one to Quebec City to make Canada quit whining.

Lethargic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 12:15 PM
garnetpalmetto
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misfit Semin View Post
Traffic is also an issue with ATL, it's an adventure just to get from one side to the other most days.

Houston, Portland / Seattle, and Quebec City would be my 3 picks.

If PHX fails and has to relocate (which would really sucks, since it was still on my list of places to move to), I'd move them to Houston expand a team to Portland of Seattle(edge to Seattle with more money there), and expand one to Quebec City to make Canada quit whining.
Y'know at one point it was suggested that the relocation of the Thrashers to Winnipeg would make Canada quit whining. They still haven't stopped. Next it'll be Quebec. Then Hamilton/GTA/Toronto 2. Then Saskatoon or the Maritimes. It's the sports equivalent of "If You Give a Mouse a Cookie."

garnetpalmetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 01:15 PM
Lethargic
Cthulhu 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnetpalmetto View Post
Y'know at one point it was suggested that the relocation of the Thrashers to Winnipeg would make Canada quit whining. They still haven't stopped. Next it'll be Quebec. Then Hamilton/GTA/Toronto 2. Then Saskatoon or the Maritimes. It's the sports equivalent of "If You Give a Mouse a Cookie."
Canada has 1/10th the population of 'Murica. It's a numbers game.

Lethargic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 02:14 PM
Carolinas Identity
Embrace the cold...

Quote:

I've seen what happens when that happens:

Man, we gotta stop this before the world asplodes. We need to relocate the 7 Canadian teams to 'Murica ASAP!!!

Old
04-30-2013, 02:18 PM
garnetpalmetto
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misfit Semin View Post
Canada has 1/10th the population of 'Murica. It's a numbers game.
Rabble rabble - it's not the population, it's the number of hockey fans - rabble rabble.

Quote:

Man, we gotta stop this before the world asplodes. We need to relocate the 7 Canadian teams to 'Murica ASAP!!!
Maybe we need to write our own version. "If You Give a Canadian a Relocated/Expansion Hockey Team." The only way I see it ending is if every team in a non-New England/upper-Midwest state gets relocated to Moose Factory, Medicine Hat, and other assorted Canadian burgs that make Asheboro look like a happening place. I do like the way you think though. Hrm, let's see here.

Vancouver --> Seattle
Edmonton --> Oklahoma City
Calgary --> Kansas City
Winnipeg --> Atlanta
Montreal --> New Orleans
Toronto --> Cleveland
Ottawa --> Cincinnati

Tada!

Last edited by garnetpalmetto: 04-30-2013 at 02:23 PM.
Old
04-30-2013, 02:49 PM
Carolinas Identity
Embrace the cold...

You obviously put a lot of thought into that. MTL to NO lets them keep the French thing going.

Madison, Wisconsin is a good hockey town and I think Houston deserves a team to. They religiously support the Aeros

Old
04-30-2013, 02:52 PM
garnetpalmetto
Global Moderator

Quote:

Quote:
You obviously put a lot of thought into that. MTL to NO lets them keep the French thing going.

Madison, Wisconsin is a good hockey town and I think Houston deserves a team to. They religiously support the Aeros
Heh. I actually didn't put much thought into it save from Vancouver-Seattle, Winnipeg back to where they belong, and as you mentioned, letting the Canadiens parlez with their Cajun cousins.

Old
04-30-2013, 02:54 PM
Cardiac_Canes

Send a message via MSN to Cardiac_Canes
Some of you guys spend way too much time worrying/whining about Canada.

Cardiac_Canes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 02:57 PM
Carolinas Identity
Embrace the cold...

Quote:
Heh. I actually didn't put much thought into it save from Vancouver-Seattle, Winnipeg back to where they belong, and as you mentioned, letting the Canadiens parlez with their Cajun cousins.
And don't forget that pretty much *EVERY* professional wrestler that used "being Canadian" as a gimmick was a heel (bad guy)

etc

Old
04-30-2013, 03:09 PM
garnetpalmetto
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiac_Canes View Post
Some of you guys spend way too much time worrying/whining about Canada.
Canada is the biggest threat to our way of life, son. Like maple syrup, Canada's evil oozes over the United States. Beyond that, there is no Canadian culture. I've never read any Canadian literature. And when was the last time you heard somebody say "Honey, let's stay in and order some Canadian food?" Think of your children pledging allegiance to a maple leaf. Winter eleven months out of the year. Anne Murray - all day. Every day. Better dead than red, I say!

NB - for anyone lacking a sense of humor, the above is largely comprised of quotes from "Canadian Bacon" and do not necessarily represent the viewpoint of HFBoards, Garnetpalmetto, or the Carolina Hurricanes fanbase.

Old
04-30-2013, 03:14 PM
Mr Whipple
Charmin Soft

Quote:
Toronto --> Cleveland
Oh, come on, man! That's soooo unfair to Clevelanders!

Mr Whipple is offline   Reply With Quote