HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Worst Hockey books ever

Old
04-30-2013, 08:24 AM
yave1964
22 and counting

vCash: 500
Worst Hockey books ever

Wonderful write up with opinions about Hockeys best books, figured it don't hurt to ask what books folks have either read or bought that they felt were either overrated or wish they could get their time/money back. On my list:

A Slap Shot original by Dave Hanson. A few original stories that I hadn't heard before but overall a dud.

Gross Misconduct, the Brian Spinner Spencer story. I finished it and found myself disgusted by the source material, by the people involved.

Just about anything ever written by Stan Fischler.

Tough guy, the Bobby Probert biography. Sickening read. Anyone who still has any stars in their eyes and hero worship for these guys just read this. Just a collection of stories blaming everyone else for all of his problems.

That's it off the top of my head. How about yours?

yave1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 09:10 AM
GummoMarx

Define worst, as in disturbing content, or just poorly written? Gross Misconduct was riddled with disturbing content, but I would hardly define it as a terrible read, rather a page turner.

Anything Stan Fischler defines poorly written though. There was a Mark Messier biography that made me nauseous as well, can't remember which one though.

GummoMarx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 09:26 AM
kmad
Riot Survivor

I have a Bobby Hull biography that was published in 1967.

What's the point?

kmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 10:03 AM
reckoning

My vote would go to Bob McCown's The 100 Greatest Hockey Arguments. You could honestly take any member off this board, pick 100 of their posts at random, put in a book, and it would be more intelligent than this. A lot of the "arguments" are just different variations of him saying that fighting should be banned. His "lists" aren't much better.

Prime example is his list of the greatest goalies ever. He has Georges Vezina at #5. That's not the problem. The problem was the reasoning he gave for it, which honestly went something like "I don't know much about Vezina, but he must've been pretty good if there's a trophy named after him, so he makes my list."

reckoning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 10:25 AM
reckoning

Quote:
Originally Posted by yave1964 View Post
Gross Misconduct, the Brian Spinner Spencer story. I finished it and found myself disgusted by the source material, by the people involved.
I was disgusted by the source material and people involved in Vincent Bugliosi's Helter Skelter, but it's easily one of the greatest non-fiction books I've ever read.

Gross Misconduct was not a pretty picture, but it was a compelling and fascinating one. I thought O'Malley did a brilliant job telling two stories: Spencer's career, and the murder trial.

At the time when the verdict was announced in the papers, I figured it was just a case of an expensive lawyer letting a celebrity get away with a crime, but based on the evidence in the book, I would have come to the same conclusion as that jury. I don't know if Spencer committed that murder, but the prosecution certainly didn't come close to proving it.

But the book is not a hero worship piece either. Spencer had many reprehensible qualities (violent, irresponsible, treated women like dirt, neglected his kids, etc.) and the book doesn't hide any of that from the reader. Tough to read it objectively without getting upset, but definitely a highly interesting book.

reckoning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 11:03 AM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by reckoning View Post
My vote would go to Bob McCown's The 100 Greatest Hockey Arguments.
Yep. First title that popped into my head.

Quote:
Gross Misconduct was not a pretty picture, but it was a compelling and fascinating one. I thought O'Malley did a brilliant job telling two stories: Spencer's career, and the murder trial.
And ya, agree. Extremely compelling & well written. Movie of the same name came out in 93. Worth watching. Disturbing.

Killion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 11:37 AM
Kloparren
Hth

Not the worst but I'm reading Cornered by Ron MacLean and it's stupid. Maybe because it's not a hockey book but it just makes him sound annoying and I don't care about his stupid broadcast career. His stories don't really provide much insight into hockey. Maybe someone who has a passion for media would enjoy it. Or maybe it's not a coincidence that I've seen multiple copies of it at used and thrift book stores despite being a newish book.

If you wanna talk about poorly written then Thunder & Lightning by Phil Esposito is poorly written in terms of structure and grammar but it's probably one of the best and most fun hockey bios ever written despite the poor writing.

Kloparren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 01:42 PM
Ogie Goldthorpe
Piloted Ogre Hog

Did someone say Stan Fischler?

So much potential... so disappointing and dull.

Plus, it ends with Schultz saying that there should be no fighting in hockey. Now, although I personally disagree, everyone's entitled to their opinion, and I would have respected Schultz' anti-fighting stance if it was based on potential injuries or something along those lines. But his argument was more along the aesthetic lines of, "it's a beautiful game, why ruin it by fighting?"... which, coming from a guy with a career like Schultz' (not that you'd get much of an insight from this book) just reeks of *********. It's like members of Pink Floyd campaigning to get the drugs out of the music scene.

Ogie Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 01:53 PM
tjcurrie

Soccer books. They make terrible hockey books.

tjcurrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 01:59 PM
Sens Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by yave1964 View Post
Just about anything ever written by Stan Fischler.
Thought he was awesome when I was 12. In hindsight he is a donkey's ass.

Quote:
My vote would go to Bob McCown's The 100 Greatest Hockey Arguments. You could honestly take any member off this board, pick 100 of their posts at random, put in a book, and it would be more intelligent than this. A lot of the "arguments" are just different variations of him saying that fighting should be banned. His "lists" aren't much better.

Prime example is his list of the greatest goalies ever. He has Georges Vezina at #5. That's not the problem. The problem was the reasoning he gave for it, which honestly went something like "I don't know much about Vezina, but he must've been pretty good if there's a trophy named after him, so he makes my list."
Not the greatest book... but not near the worst either.

Quote:
I was disgusted by the source material and people involved in Vincent Bugliosi's Helter Skelter, but it's easily one of the greatest non-fiction books I've ever read.

At the time when the verdict was announced in the papers, I figured it was just a case of an expensive lawyer letting a celebrity get away with a crime, but based on the evidence in the book, I would have come to the same conclusion as that jury. I don't know if Spencer committed that murder, but the prosecution certainly didn't come close to proving it.

But the book is not a hero worship piece either. Spencer had many reprehensible qualities (violent, irresponsible, treated women like dirt, neglected his kids, etc.) and the book doesn't hide any of that from the reader. Tough to read it objectively without getting upset, but definitely a highly interesting book.
I just watched the Theo Fleury story on HBO. It was quite similar. Theo is certainly not shown as a hero... nor a villian. Mostly as a very angry and messed up guy.

I really thought the documentary movie was amazing. And so much of Theo talking. Theo is a very bold person. I will say bold.

I own the book.... and I got it for my brother for X-Mas... still have not read it... but now I am certainly going to read it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogie Goldthorpe View Post
Did someone say Stan Fischler?

So much potential... so disappointing and dull.

Plus, it ends with Schultz saying that there should be no fighting in hockey. Now, although I personally disagree, everyone's entitled to their opinion, and I would have respected Schultz' anti-fighting stance if it was based on potential injuries or something along those lines. But his argument was more along the aesthetic lines of, "it's a beautiful game, why ruin it by fighting?"... which, coming from a guy with a career like Schultz' (not that you'd get much of an insight from this book) just reeks of *********. It's like members of Pink Floyd campaigning to get the drugs out of the music scene.
I read the Big bad Bruins several times... then all his later writings are incredibly negative on Orr. Then I find Orr had a falling out with him.

Fischler writes ****. He writes whatever he wants to suit his myopic agenda. It becomes more obvious when you are no longer twelve!

Last edited by Habsfan18: 04-30-2013 at 03:10 PM. Reason: merge
Sens Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 03:05 PM
Big Phil

Quote:

Yeah, I came here to post this book. Bob McCown has no business writing a book about hockey. He put Phil Housley - Phil Housley! - as the best player to never win a Stanley Cup. Unreal. But coming from such an arrogant host to begin with I can't imagine him taking any advice at all.

Never read Probert's book. But I might. You know, it's sad, because as time goes on the more you learn about Probert outside of the rink the worse of a person he is portrayed as being. People speak about Tim Horton as a good man for example. But Probert? It isn't exactly universal.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote