HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

v27: Ujiri signs 5 year, $3m per year deal to become Raptors GM

Closed Thread

Old
04-26-2013, 04:18 PM
Suntouchable13

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
And at the time, it was thought to be a good hire.

My guess is Jackson would be president, and not GM. Hopefully he'd bring someone in.

Fire Casey too, if it were up to me.
Yea, for sure but look at how that worked out. I am not going to get too excited no matter what.

Old
04-26-2013, 04:22 PM
TheTotalPackage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntouchable13 View Post
Yea, for sure but look at how that worked out. I am not going to get too excited no matter what.
I completely get the sentiment. But if you are going to replace Colangelo, I would imagine there would only be a handful of people (if that) that would be a better choice than Jackson up front.

Old
04-26-2013, 04:23 PM
Eyedea
The Legend Continues

I'm pretty sure some people would rather work for the zen master than BC. Who knows, Brian Shaw could come in and take Casey's job if Phil comes here.

Old
04-27-2013, 12:43 AM
Kb21

i'm all down for phil jackson to be the GM, frankly anyone at this point would be better then the clown we have had. 7 years and we haven't made any noise.

if he is hired i expect him to put in a new coach, possibly one he really liked e.g. brian shaw.

Old
04-27-2013, 01:13 AM
trellaine201

Gotta love the denver, golden state game. I dont watch much bball but wow, love the offensive show!! No D.

Oh, nice to see SA win again

Old
04-27-2013, 01:51 AM
Eytinge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kb21 View Post
i'm all down for phil jackson to be the GM, frankly anyone at this point would be better then the clown we have had. 7 years and we haven't made any noise.

if he is hired i expect him to put in a new coach, possibly one he really liked e.g. brian shaw.
BC Casey out with Phil and Brian Shaw coming in would be a godsend. Please make it happen MLSE.

Old
04-27-2013, 12:52 PM
Hyperglide

Oh hell yes. Tim Chisholm just made me squee hard with this article posted on TSN.

Quote:
CHISHOLM: LEIWEKE'S CHALLENGE TO MAKE RAPTORS RELEVANT
Tim Chisholm
4/27/2013 12:37:16 AM
http://www.tsn.ca/blogs/tim_chisholm/?id=421816
Text Size
Relevancy. It has eluded the Toronto Raptors for nearly twenty years. Even more than competitive basketball, relevancy has been the brass ring that the Raptors have never quite been able to reach.

Oh sure they've gotten close. Vince Carter probably brought the organization closest to the precipice, but after the Slam Dunk competition, 'The Graduation', the injuries and the trade demands, what Carter really made relevant was himself, not his team.

Relevancy is, in a way, an ephemeral concept in the NBA. It implies a certain importance within the grander scheme, a force which moves the narrative of the entire league forward, and the Raptors have simply never operated on that high a plain. For their entire existence the Raptors have been peripheral participants in the NBA universe. At times it's felt as if they were doomed to a second-class status as a club that can play within the league but not move within the rarified air of those that truly define what the NBA is all about. They could participate, but they'd be irrelevant.

Well, Tim Leiweke doesn't dabble in irrelevancy.

Leiweke, the former AEG leviathan, was tapped on Friday to take over as the president and CEO of Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment, and he laid out in no uncertain terms that the Raptors - in his view - do not belong on the margins of the NBA. Not with Toronto being the fourth-biggest marketplace in North America and not with Canada representing a massive potential marketplace of 36 million people.

Thus, it was no coincidence that shortly after the Leiweke announcement came a rumour through ESPN.com that the Raptors were considering making a pitch to basketball legend Phil Jackson to come north and run the entirety of their basketball operations.

A move like that would bring relevancy. Big time.

Now, it must be noted that the odds of Jackson actually relocating north are long even in a best-case scenario. While Jackson has made no secret of wanting to emulate Pat Riley's Miami Heat fiefdom with an organization all his own, Toronto would seem an odd place to set up camp, regardless of Leiweke's and Jackson's close ties from their Los Angeles days.

Old
04-27-2013, 02:05 PM
Kamal007
#leak4Jlaw

My favourite quote from the article:

Quote:
Leiweke isn't interested in clubs that can qualify for lower-rung Playoff seeds - he measures success in titles, and the Raptors are about as far from one of those as they were when they played in purple pinstripes over at the SkyDome.

Old
04-29-2013, 12:27 AM
Joey24

Send a message via ICQ to Joey24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kb21 View Post
about the boozer double team thing, i meant if boozer made the kick out to, lets say demar, he would only hit 28% of those open 3's giving the other team an actual incentive to double team boozer other then trying to get the ball out of his hands in the post. hence our team would probably look like the knicks if a boozer trade did happen but with lesser shooters (melo > rudy, demar < JRsmith).

and about the speed aspect, boozer isn't a guy suited to run up and down the court given his age and injury history. with our team of high flyers he would become quite useless those 30% of the time we are on a fast break.

i'd rather us just bring bargs off the bench, or trade him for a backup PG/6th man/salary dump, and continue to use amir in the PF/C role as he has a similar game to boozer while being younger.
And Demar is the only option to kick it out to?

The run and gun style of the Raptros hasn't really worked that great for the overall success of the team. I would prefer a bit more structure in the offense but if you can't put a winning product on the floor you might as well put an exciting one, right?

Amir is a fan favorite for sure, I love the guy too, but he's not a quality starting PF/C in the NBA. He's good to have come in off the bench to give ya some jump and grunt but he's defiantly not a starting quality 4-5 on a playoff team.

Bargnani needs to go, He's got not roll on the team. He was the depended scorer who got by with no defense and lack of rebounding because he was putting up 18-20 a night. But when the offense isn't run through him he's useless and brings nothing else to the table. If Toronto can trade him then any return is a upgrade imo.

Old
04-30-2013, 12:56 AM
Dark Knight
Troll-Marov!!

Quote:
The Toronto Raptors, emboldened by the news that the Sacramento Kings apparently won't be moving to Seattle, have ramped up their pursuit of Phil Jackson to be their new team president, according to sources close to the situation.

Sources told ESPN.com that the Raptors -- now being run by former Los Angeles-based sports mogul Tim Leiweke -- regarded the Seattle group that was trying to buy the Kings as the biggest threat to preventing Jackson from seriously considering their pitch.
Courtesy ESPN.

I am cautiously optimistic.

04-30-2013, 04:24 PM
Kamal007
#leak4Jlaw

Just watching this random american sports show on TSN, which is airing from ESPN, oh lawd, these guys are idiots. No idea about Canada or Toronto. A few things they said:

"The Raptors are beneath Phil Jackson, no way should be go there"

"Tebow should be a starter and dominate the CFL"

"Its offensive to Tebow to say he would be a backup in the CFL"

Bunch of idiots

Old
04-30-2013, 05:05 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamal007 View Post
Just watching this random american sports show on TSN, which is airing from ESPN, oh lawd, these guys are idiots. No idea about Canada or Toronto. A few things they said:

"The Raptors are beneath Phil Jackson, no way should be go there"

"Tebow should be a starter and dominate the CFL"

"Its offensive to Tebow to say he would be a backup in the CFL"

Bunch of idiots
Yep, it's offensive to say that Tim Tebow, whose biggest flaw as a QB is a total inability to pass the ball effectively, wouldn't be a star and would be a backup in a football league defined by being pass-happy to the extreme. Or that the Raptors, who have had some great players come through the org and had some success (not much, mind you, but as much or more than plenty of other orgs).

Par for the course though. ESPN doesn't need to cater to us as Canadians, so they don't give a crap if they say anything valid about us or not.

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."
'14-15 Sharks CI Tracker: 23 GP, 9-10-4 (home-away-Nat'l/In-Region)
Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
Old
04-30-2013, 07:19 PM
Eytinge

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
Yep, it's offensive to say that Tim Tebow, whose biggest flaw as a QB is a total inability to pass the ball effectively, wouldn't be a star and would be a backup in a football league defined by being pass-happy to the extreme. Or that the Raptors, who have had some great players come through the org and had some success (not much, mind you, but as much or more than plenty of other orgs).

Par for the course though. ESPN doesn't need to cater to us as Canadians, so they don't give a crap if they say anything valid about us or not.
I think making fun of the Raptors is to be expected. Team has one of the longest playoff-less streaks going in the league, and has no historical value outside of a legendary dunk contest by VC.

The Tim Tebow part is asinine though. He won't walk in here and succeed, because he isn't a quarterback. And I hate his fanbase.

Old
05-03-2013, 01:06 AM
trellaine201

Phil Jacskon joins the Pistons.

Whose next on our list? Back to respectability.

Old
05-03-2013, 01:19 AM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by trellaine201 View Post
Phil Jacskon joins the Pistons.

Whose next on our list? Back to respectability.
He didn't "join" the Pistons. He's helping them figure out who's gonna be their next coach. That's it. The door is still open to any full-time gigs that are being offered to him. Including the Raptors one.

Quote:
Jackson's willingness to counsel Gores and Pistons president Joe Dumars as they weigh candidates to replace the ousted Lawrence Frank is an unpaid consultancy stemming from Jackson's friendship with Gores and "does not foreclose any options" with regard to the 11-time championship coach's intentions to find a new full-time NBA management job.

ESPN.com reported earlier this week that the Toronto Raptors have ramped up their pursuit of Jackson to run their basketball operations under new Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment CEO Tim Leiweke, another longtime Jackson associate from their days working together in Los Angeles. Jackson, meanwhile, told the San Francisco Chronicle in a recent interview that "three or four teams" have already expressed interest in him and that "none of it involves coaching."

Jackson's arrangement with the Pistons, according to sources, is an "act of friendship." Former New York Knicks and Utah Jazz executive Dave Checketts previously served as a Pistons adviser to Gores without officially joining team management.
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/92...ext-head-coach

You've got to provide links to stuff like this. It's the difference between people taking "Jackson's joining the pistons, Raptors gotta find something else." and what the situation really is.

Old
05-03-2013, 01:40 AM
trellaine201

Oops my apologies but the way I read it...sure sounded like he was joining them as a consultant.

I guess it was at the end of the story?

Thanks for pointing me to the story. I don't usually do what I did.

Old
05-03-2013, 01:45 AM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
He didn't "join" the Pistons. He's helping them figure out who's gonna be their next coach. That's it. The door is still open to any full-time gigs that are being offered to him. Including the Raptors one.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/92...ext-head-coach

You've got to provide links to stuff like this. It's the difference between people taking "Jackson's joining the pistons, Raptors gotta find something else." and what the situation really is.
According to this article though it makes it sound like Jackson just wants an advisory role.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/ke...-coaching-hire

A person familiar with Jackson's plans told CBSSports.com this week that the former Bulls and Lakers coach is more interested in an advisory role in which he could shape a franchise from top to bottom, starting with the hiring of a head coach.

Old
05-03-2013, 02:09 AM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
According to this article though it makes it sound like Jackson just wants an advisory role.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/ke...-coaching-hire

A person familiar with Jackson's plans told CBSSports.com this week that the former Bulls and Lakers coach is more interested in an advisory role in which he could shape a franchise from top to bottom, starting with the hiring of a head coach.
sorry, that's what I meant by "full-time gig". I meant a proper, paid, ongoing role with a team beyond just consulting on a single decision. In Jackson's case it would be a sort of Presidential role where he has significant input in decision making in all facets of the team.

Old
05-03-2013, 10:54 PM
trellaine201

Hes as good as gone in my opinion.

Whose next on the list?

Old
05-03-2013, 11:36 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by trellaine201 View Post
Hes as good as gone in my opinion.

Whose next on the list?
how do you figure? I just posted the article yesterday that explicitly says the Pistons gig is only a temporary thing while they find a coach and that the Raptors job (and ones like it) are very much in play.

Old
05-04-2013, 01:51 AM
Giuseppe Sallo
ELE-VAT-ED

I believe in this new guy. He wants to build a winning PHIL-osphy. Haha

Old
05-04-2013, 08:57 AM
RayzorIsDull

Who would have thought Memphis trades away Rudy Gay, they beat the Clippers in round 1 and probably have a better than 50-50 shot of beating OKC and making the conference finals.

Old
05-04-2013, 11:08 AM
trellaine201

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
Who would have thought Memphis trades away Rudy Gay, they beat the Clippers in round 1 and probably have a better than 50-50 shot of beating OKC and making the conference finals.
Or on the flipside, no bball related but who would have thought the Jays would some 40-50M dollars to their payroll and fail so miserably and be bottom feeders while giving up some big prospects.

Old
05-04-2013, 12:29 PM
MrLegend28

why do people want Phil again? what did he do without MJ/Rodman/Pippen and Shaq/Kobe ... oh... oh right...

Old
05-04-2013, 04:04 PM
Dr.Funk

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLegend28 View Post
why do people want Phil again? what did he do without MJ/Rodman/Pippen and Shaq/Kobe ... oh... oh right...

He wouldn't be coming here to be the coach.

Closed Thread