HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Koivu (merged)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-15-2006, 10:05 AM
  #51
CHareth
Registered User
 
CHareth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 2,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
Z, you believe that if he was making 4 instead of 4.75, he would have retired ? You must really think the worst of this guy. If he was in it for the $, and to an extent he is, they all are, he'd be here saying the same things.

He got hurt, he's going to see if he can continue playing. I don't see at all what you would expect him to do differently.
It's mark0v. Despite the new name, it's the same old hate-on and potshots in any Koivu-related thread there is. Honestly, the guy was cleared to play after a serious injury and will give it a go with the hopes that he can perform. If he can't, he'll look at other possibilities, including whatever medical options are out there. Who could honestly expect differently?

CHareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2006, 10:15 AM
  #52
waffledave
waffledave, from hf
 
waffledave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,463
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Carbo Diet View Post
It's mark0v. Despite the new name, it's the same old hate-on and potshots in any Koivu-related thread there is. Honestly, the guy was cleared to play after a serious injury and will give it a go with the hopes that he can perform. If he can't, he'll look at other possibilities, including whatever medical options are out there. Who could honestly expect differently?
Damn I knew his posts looked familiar.

New name, same old garbage.

waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2006, 10:27 AM
  #53
habfan4
Registered User
 
habfan4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Deus Amat Pretzel
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,424
vCash: 500
Wow - the season can't get started soon enough.

I know that everyone is entitled to an opinion, but to characterizie a player like Koivu (who raced back from cancer to help the Habs in the 2001/2002 playoffs) as putting himself before the team is boorish.

habfan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2006, 10:32 AM
  #54
oli500
Registered User
 
oli500's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Kitchener
Posts: 4,610
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by #ZAMBONI# View Post
You know what ? you have your opinion and i have mine .

And because you don't like mine don't give you the right to insult me .

If you think that Koivu deserves those 4,75M$ , with a limited vision , give me-us arguments to explain your opinion. And to change , give us some real arguments other than the classic ones of his olympic games leadership , or his heroic cancer fight .

i am waiting .
First of all sports is a buisnes and in a buisnes your going to see alot of horible contracts and alot of $ given away. The intertainment world is a world were the profits are big and were theres alot of money to be spend so your going to see outrages contracts. From hollywood to sports, contracts are not allways fair but theires nothing you can do about it because the money thats given to a tom cruise for a film or rick dipeitro is given by rich people that have nothing else to do but spend their money. So as you see I could care less how much a koivu makes, how much a a-rod makes. If those rich people want to spend that money on them well let them be. You know what I find thats expansive. The taxes we pay in todays society. Thats outrages. Many times I ask my self were thus that money go. are hospitals are getting worse and worse by the minut. Are roads arent getting any better. are schools allways lack funds. There more important issues than a hockey player salary.

Now when I see koivu I see a great human being. Some one that dedicates him self to the montreal canadiens and although he might not be as talented as sundin or thorton he will allways give his 100% to the team. I see a guy that physicly gets involve in the community, that goes to the sick children hospital to make children fell better. Let me ask you this. Do you take time from your besy schedual to make sick children fell better? probably not. My point is I dont see these people as $ because theres realy no point of being frustrated with that.

your probably the type of person that went "man what a waste of money" when koivu first got struck by williams hockey stick.

All I want is to be entertain. To come home after work, relax from a stresful day. enjoy a beer and enjoy a sport and a team I love. I dont wory about something I dont have any control over.


You wanted are opinion well there you have it.


Last edited by oli500: 09-15-2006 at 10:45 AM.
oli500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2006, 11:16 AM
  #55
Orange
Registered User
 
Orange's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 1,158
vCash: 500
I've worked as a technician in ophtalmology for 4 years (all throught CEGEP and my first 2 years in college), so here's what I can say about Koivu's eye (I'm in no way a specialist, I just worked with some. So what I say ain't gold). Removal of cataracts is a fairly simple operation, there's not much to be concerned about that. I strongly doubt that he would get operated straight away since a cataract evolves over time and it makes the operation much more simple when the cataract is mature. It's standard procedure to let a cataract mature before operating. Also, Koivu's comment about wearing a lense makes me believe his cataract is in it's very early stage (considering his injury was last spring, I'd say it's a pretty safe assumption ). The bigger concern is his retina. I'm not certain what exactly happened (retina seperation or some other condition) but I'm almost certain I read somewhere his retina was affected. Anyway, high blood presure in his eye at this time might no be indicated which could be another reason to push back the cataract operation (this is more of an educated guess than a fact). His current periferic eye sight is a direct result of the condition of his retina. At this point in time, given continued care, the chance that his vision will get better is slim. It can still improve, but full recovery is unlikely.

If y'all need more details, I could always snoop around my old aquaintances

Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2006, 11:30 AM
  #56
deandebean
Registered User
 
deandebean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Gatineau, câlisse
Country: uriname
Posts: 9,948
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange View Post
I've worked as a technician in ophtalmology for 4 years (all throught CEGEP and my first 2 years in college), so here's what I can say about Koivu's eye (I'm in no way a specialist, I just worked with some. So what I say ain't gold). Removal of cataracts is a fairly simple operation, there's not much to be concerned about that. I strongly doubt that he would get operated straight away since a cataract evolves over time and it makes the operation much more simple when the cataract is mature. It's standard procedure to let a cataract mature before operating. Also, Koivu's comment about wearing a lense makes me believe his cataract is in it's very early stage (considering his injury was last spring, I'd say it's a pretty safe assumption ). The bigger concern is his retina. I'm not certain what exactly happened (retina seperation or some other condition) but I'm almost certain I read somewhere his retina was affected. Anyway, high blood presure in his eye at this time might no be indicated which could be another reason to push back the cataract operation (this is more of an educated guess than a fact). His current periferic eye sight is a direct result of the condition of his retina. At this point in time, given continued care, the chance that his vision will get better is slim. It can still improve, but full recovery is unlikely.

If y'all need more details, I could always snoop around my old aquaintances

A center known for great peripheral vision like Koivu, losing its main asset (after his courage) is not good news. Koivu could become a winger in a not so long future if his vision does not improve, like you imply. A center NEEDS to have a good peripheral vision.

deandebean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2006, 11:36 AM
  #57
417
Registered User
 
417's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Ottawa
Country: Haiti
Posts: 20,478
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean View Post
A center known for great peripheral vision like Koivu, losing its main asset (after his courage) is not good news. Koivu could become a winger in a not so long future if his vision does not improve, like you imply. A center NEEDS to have a good peripheral vision.
A player as talented as Koivu will adjust....i'm sure of it.

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2006, 11:44 AM
  #58
Ross MacLochness
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Toronto
Posts: 6,774
vCash: 500
Well he damaged one eye, so I assume his peripheral/ambient vision on other side will be just fine. Problem with that though is I believe his left eye is the problem and one of Koivu's favourite plays is to come down the right side and drag the puck to his back hand and make a play off his back-hand. Since he'd be using his left eye to find his teamates it could hinder him a little. His skills with the puck on his back-hand (which are amazing to begin with) might suffer a little.

Ross MacLochness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2006, 11:46 AM
  #59
417
Registered User
 
417's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Ottawa
Country: Haiti
Posts: 20,478
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slip Slidin' Slim View Post
Well he damaged one eye, so I assume his peripheral/ambient vision on other side will be just fine. Problem with that though is I believe his left eye is the problem and one of Koivu's favourite plays is to come down the right side and drag the puck to his back hand and make a play off his back-hand. Since he'd be using his left eye to find his teamates it could hinder him a little. His skills with the puck on his back-hand (which are amazing to begin with) might suffer a little.
While I don't doubt this to be true...a player of Koivu's talent is able to make the adjustment of turning his head a little more before making the pass...

He'll play and find a way to adjust.

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2006, 12:04 PM
  #60
Orange
Registered User
 
Orange's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 1,158
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
A player as talented as Koivu will adjust....i'm sure of it.
I'm inclined to agree. I don't think an athlete of that caliber can't compensate. Or rather, if there's an athelete that I know can overcome this, it's Koivu. Our eyes don't stay stationary, they move a lot. Even when someone fixes on an object, if you look closely, their eyes move a little. Koivu could potentially compensate with more eye movements, who knows .

The point is, I don't want to paint a pessimist picture. There's no complete definite scenario in situations like his. His eyesight can get better. But ask his doctor and I'm sure he'll say that he doesn't know for a fact that it will. And the prospect of a complete recovery is not the most likely scenario. That being said, recovery to the point that he can compensate for what's been lost is not that far fetched.

Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2006, 12:50 PM
  #61
oli500
Registered User
 
oli500's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Kitchener
Posts: 4,610
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean View Post
A center known for great peripheral vision like Koivu, losing its main asset (after his courage) is not good news. Koivu could become a winger in a not so long future if his vision does not improve, like you imply. A center NEEDS to have a good peripheral vision.
When you play a sport all your life you have something called instincts. As a player you can just let your natural instincts take over. Sure koivu might not see like he use to but its not like he all of a suden forgot how to play the game of hockey. I mean its not brain damage he suffered here. It would actuly be a worse for koivu if he had to play wing because a winger has to play along the boards and they have to go get the puck in deep. wingers are prone to body cheks more often than centers.

oli500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2006, 12:54 PM
  #62
waffledave
waffledave, from hf
 
waffledave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,463
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oli500 View Post
When you play a sport all your life you have something called instincts. As a player you can just let your natural instincts take over. Sure koivu might not see like he use to but its not like he all of a suden forgot how to play the game of hockey. I mean its not brain damage he suffered here. It would actuly be a worse for koivu if he had to play wing because a winger has to play along the boards and they have to go get the puck in deep. wingers are prone to body cheks more often than centers.
I've played defence for most of my hockey playing life, but I have also played centre for a few seasons as well. Obviously everyone is different, and obviously I'm not at Koivu's calibre and he probably plays totally different than me, but I never found that I'd use my peripheral vision to make passes much...Most of the time you just kinda have a picture in your head of where your teammates are...I just know how they play and where they tend to be usually. Obviously your vision helps and maybe it's something that you use without realizing...I dunno...but to me it's the instincts that make a good playmaker.

waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2006, 01:19 PM
  #63
goalchenyuk
Registered User
 
goalchenyuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: montreal
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 8,455
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oli500 View Post
First of all sports is a buisnes and in a buisnes your going to see alot of horible contracts and alot of $ given away. The intertainment world is a world were the profits are big and were theres alot of money to be spend so your going to see outrages contracts. From hollywood to sports, contracts are not allways fair but theires nothing you can do about it because the money thats given to a tom cruise for a film or rick dipeitro is given by rich people that have nothing else to do but spend their money. So as you see I could care less how much a koivu makes, how much a a-rod makes. If those rich people want to spend that money on them well let them be. You know what I find thats expansive. The taxes we pay in todays society. Thats outrages. Many times I ask my self were thus that money go. are hospitals are getting worse and worse by the minut. Are roads arent getting any better. are schools allways lack funds. There more important issues than a hockey player salary.

Now when I see koivu I see a great human being. Some one that dedicates him self to the montreal canadiens and although he might not be as talented as sundin or thorton he will allways give his 100% to the team. I see a guy that physicly gets involve in the community, that goes to the sick children hospital to make children fell better. Let me ask you this. Do you take time from your besy schedual to make sick children fell better? probably not. My point is I dont see these people as $ because theres realy no point of being frustrated with that.

your probably the type of person that went "man what a waste of money" when koivu first got struck by williams hockey stick.

All I want is to be entertain. To come home after work, relax from a stresful day. enjoy a beer and enjoy a sport and a team I love. I dont wory about something I dont have any control over.


You wanted are opinion well there you have it.
great to read you .

You can also reverse what you are saying about the business factor . As you said ," All I want is to be entertain. To come home after work, relax from a stresful day. enjoy a beer and enjoy a sport and a team I love. " i agree with that . But i want to see a good team with good players . And because of the cap limit , i don't want our higher salaried player , eat 4,75 M$ of our payroll , if he's able to play at is best . That's business too, and that's what i simply said .

If Ribeiro would say that he has a back pain that is going to make him slower , but that he will be there for the first game , and that he will get a surgery next summer , what would you say ?

Once again , it's because the player is Koivu that you are ( not you directly ) chocked by what i said . Koivu isn't in a mortal desease situation , he simply get a current cataracte !!! what are those offenced virgins reaction ?

goalchenyuk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2006, 01:27 PM
  #64
goalchenyuk
Registered User
 
goalchenyuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: montreal
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 8,455
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange View Post
I've worked as a technician in ophtalmology for 4 years (all throught CEGEP and my first 2 years in college), so here's what I can say about Koivu's eye (I'm in no way a specialist, I just worked with some. So what I say ain't gold). Removal of cataracts is a fairly simple operation, there's not much to be concerned about that. I strongly doubt that he would get operated straight away since a cataract evolves over time and it makes the operation much more simple when the cataract is mature. It's standard procedure to let a cataract mature before operating. Also, Koivu's comment about wearing a lense makes me believe his cataract is in it's very early stage (considering his injury was last spring, I'd say it's a pretty safe assumption ). The bigger concern is his retina. I'm not certain what exactly happened (retina seperation or some other condition) but I'm almost certain I read somewhere his retina was affected. Anyway, high blood presure in his eye at this time might no be indicated which could be another reason to push back the cataract operation (this is more of an educated guess than a fact). His current periferic eye sight is a direct result of the condition of his retina. At this point in time, given continued care, the chance that his vision will get better is slim. It can still improve, but full recovery is unlikely.

If y'all need more details, I could always snoop around my old aquaintances
Great to have your medical point of you . So finally it 's a usuel thing to wait that the cataracte mature before the surgery .

From you , do you think that a lens could help Saku enough to be the same player , or a black zone is a black zone , and there will always be a hole in his vision ? ( until he gets treatements next summer )

One thing that scares me isn't about his ability to prepare the plays , but more about the fact that someone could check him hardly without seeing what is comming .

goalchenyuk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2006, 01:44 PM
  #65
Tuggy
Homer glasses on
 
Tuggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Saint John
Country: Canada
Posts: 30,712
vCash: 1484
Quote:
Originally Posted by #ZAMBONI# View Post
... the only argument of those who are not able to think by themselves
According to those that saw the first day of camp, he already looks to be in mid-season form. So I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Tuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2006, 01:55 PM
  #66
Orange
Registered User
 
Orange's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 1,158
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by #ZAMBONI# View Post
Great to have your medical point of you . So finally it 's a usuel thing to wait that the cataracte mature before the surgery .
Well my point of view anyway. I'm no medical doctor. My expertise is genetics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by #ZAMBONI# View Post
From you , do you think that a lens could help Saku enough to be the same player , or a black zone is a black zone , and there will always be a hole in his vision ? ( until he gets treatements next summer )
I can't realy tell since I'm not involed in his diagnosis. If his doctor suggested it, then I'd expect it'd help if even if only a little. But you need to consider that the major effect of a catarct is for people's "far sight", and your "far sight" and peripheric vision are very different. The effect of the lense would be to offset the cataract, not to counteract the damage to his retina. Since is other eye is fine, I doubt "far sight" was a problem in the first place.

Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2006, 02:17 PM
  #67
Clumsyhab
Registered User
 
Clumsyhab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Montreal
Posts: 6,889
vCash: 500
Good news on Koivu!

Habs had a simulated match this morning and Koivu said he was surprised that he could see that well. By the way, his team beated team Ribeiro 4-3. He also said that his contact lense helped him a lot. Also, he mentioned that the thing that bothered him the most was not his vision, but his new skates. That's great news. Hopefully, he will play either next tuesday or wednesday vs Boston. I'm sure the crowd is gonna go nuts when he jumps on the ice.

Clumsyhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2006, 02:19 PM
  #68
goalchenyuk
Registered User
 
goalchenyuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: montreal
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 8,455
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clumsyhab View Post
Habs had a simulated match this morning and Koivu said he was surprised that he could see that well. By the way, his team beated team Ribeiro 4-3. He also said that his contact lense helped him a lot. Also, he mentioned that the thing that bothered him the most was not his vision, but his new skates. That's great news. Hopefully, he will play either next tuesday or wednesday vs Boston. I'm sure the crowd is gonna go nuts when he jumps on the ice.
great ! it seems that he was looking in a very good shape .

Good news !

goalchenyuk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2006, 02:21 PM
  #69
Freaky Habs Fan
Registered User
 
Freaky Habs Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: New-Brunswick
Posts: 9,506
vCash: 500
We need him to go far this year...we have almost every peice of the puzzle, we just need to put it all together! Great news!

Freaky Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2006, 02:21 PM
  #70
CaptainSak
Registered User
 
CaptainSak's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 74
vCash: 500
Very, very, very good news!!!

You make my day!

CaptainSak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2006, 02:23 PM
  #71
goalchenyuk
Registered User
 
goalchenyuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: montreal
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 8,455
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
According to those that saw the first day of camp, he already looks to be in mid-season form. So I don't think you have anything to worry about.
yeah i read it ! it's a great news !

goalchenyuk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2006, 06:00 PM
  #72
HomaridII
Registered User
 
HomaridII's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Montreal, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,836
vCash: 500
Koivu = Candiac?

Hey guys,

A couple of non-net savvy work colleagues of mine heard that Koivu had bought a house in Candiac and wanted to see if I could confirm it. Reason they are curious is that they are both from Candiac

Has anyone heard anything about this?

HomaridII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2006, 06:07 PM
  #73
Sumhabs
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Québec
Country: Canada
Posts: 306
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomaridII View Post
Hey guys,

A couple of non-net savvy work colleagues of mine heard that Koivu had bought a house in Candiac and wanted to see if I could confirm it. Reason they are curious is that they are both from Candiac

Has anyone heard anything about this?
yes its true.

Sumhabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2006, 06:13 PM
  #74
VGTvidz
Registered User
 
VGTvidz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 349
vCash: 500
Yes it's true, my friend's mom works for the city of Candiac. The house used to belong to the guy who started the "santé minceur" gym, anyway, the fence is worth 250 000$, the house 3-4 Millions, and you even have a smaller house in the backyard for your guests.

VGTvidz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2006, 06:20 PM
  #75
MacHabs93
Registered User
 
MacHabs93's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Montreal
Country: Italy
Posts: 1,475
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VGTvidz View Post
Yes it's true, my friend's mom works for the city of Candiac. The house used to belong to the guy who started the "santé minceur" gym, anyway, the fence is worth 250 000$, the house 3-4 Millions, and you even have a smaller house in the backyard for your guests.
I guess he's not going anywhere

MacHabs93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:11 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.