HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Ryane Clowe

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-29-2013, 04:53 PM
  #576
goalsequalvictory
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 462
vCash: 249
So far, unless his price comes down dramatically, he hasn't shown anything that makes him worth 4 million per year.
Hopefully, his agent understands that he's on the decline, and just coming off an injury, and we can make a deal, but if he wants more than 3 million or 2 years, let him walk. No use throwing good money after bad(draft picks).

goalsequalvictory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 05:54 PM
  #577
Blue Blooded
Registered User
 
Blue Blooded's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Handicap spot
Country: Sweden
Posts: 2,734
vCash: 504
Clowe is the type of player I like to stay as far away from as possible. They need a specific environment to be effective and have a short shelf life. Look at Dustin Penner. Clowe is on the decline and will unfortunately be out of the league soon IMO, which is a shame because I've always liked him.

These types of players are also heavily overvalued around the league which makes them chronically overpaid.

At least we're not paying Milan Lucic $6M/y to watch from the press box.

Blue Blooded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 03:33 PM
  #578
Kershaw
 
Kershaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country:
Posts: 25,519
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Blooded View Post
Clowe is the type of player I like to stay as far away from as possible. They need a specific environment to be effective and have a short shelf life. Look at Dustin Penner. Clowe is on the decline and will unfortunately be out of the league soon IMO, which is a shame because I've always liked him.

These types of players are also heavily overvalued around the league which makes them chronically overpaid.

At least we're not paying Milan Lucic $6M/y to watch from the press box.
I'd rather have Raffi Torres than Ryane Clowe.

Torres cost the Sharks a 3rd.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 04:21 PM
  #579
Rust Heisenberg
Registered User
 
Rust Heisenberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 6,463
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
I'd rather have Raffi Torres than Ryane Clowe.

Torres cost the Sharks a 3rd.
I wouldn't. From all reports, Torres is not a good locker room guy... Clowe is. Clowe is only 30, he still has a serviceable 3-4 years left in him.

I'd stay away if he wants 4+ years at 4+ mill. 3 years at 3.5 per and i'm more than happy to give that up. Anything more and we can wave good bye.

Rust Heisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 04:28 PM
  #580
Jim Ramsay
Registered User
 
Jim Ramsay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Warwick, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 496
vCash: 500
The rangers resigning Clowe to a stupid contract is one thing I'm nervous of this off-season...If it was 5 years ago I would be all about it. He really seems like a night and day player compared to what he was a few years ago...

He looks really slow, his production has been on the decline and he honestly just looks like a 30 year old with a lot of miles on him.. and now he possibly has a concussion?

IF the guy is able to play these playoffs and be a huge factor I might reconsider my position about him.... I just don't see it happening.

Jim Ramsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 04:42 PM
  #581
haveandare
Registered User
 
haveandare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 5,804
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Blooded View Post
Clowe is the type of player I like to stay as far away from as possible. They need a specific environment to be effective and have a short shelf life. Look at Dustin Penner. Clowe is on the decline and will unfortunately be out of the league soon IMO, which is a shame because I've always liked him.

These types of players are also heavily overvalued around the league which makes them chronically overpaid.

At least we're not paying Milan Lucic $6M/y to watch from the press box.
I'm not against signing him no matter what, I just don't think they should overpay or commit to anything long-term. If he can get a long-term big money deal somewhere else, so be it, let him go. If he's willing to take something shorter, I'd have him back. He's a big guy, he wins almost every board battle and he sticks up for his teammates. You can't have a ton of those guys on a lineup, but having one isn't bad.

Also, say what you will about Lucic's play right now, but I'd take him on this team any day of the week. You win with players like that, again, not a ton of them, but one or two. Plus, Lucic is still young. He'll rebound.

haveandare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 04:44 PM
  #582
Kershaw
 
Kershaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country:
Posts: 25,519
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjets36 View Post
I wouldn't. From all reports, Torres is not a good locker room guy... Clowe is. Clowe is only 30, he still has a serviceable 3-4 years left in him.

I'd stay away if he wants 4+ years at 4+ mill. 3 years at 3.5 per and i'm more than happy to give that up. Anything more and we can wave good bye.
Clowe's play on ice the past 2 years suggest he is on a steep decline. Torres is faster, plays with more grit and keeps other team defenders on their heels. Clowe is too slow to make an impact.

I don't want him at all, I'll keep the 2nd round pick. Injury prone and declining in play.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 04:48 PM
  #583
NickyFotiu
Registered User
 
NickyFotiu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,560
vCash: 500
I think I would offer 1 year at this years salary as a make it or break it try out unless he is really good in the playoffs.

NickyFotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 05:03 PM
  #584
Punxrocknyc19*
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 10,233
vCash: 500
since he has gotten slower due to age, cant he get quicker if he works on that during the summer?? it did work for Boyle for that fluke year... i cant believe Clowe is breaking down so quickly.... id sign him to 3 year at most 4 mil per year.... if he wants longer term than 3 mil is most id offer with bonuses based on games played

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 05:20 PM
  #585
NickyFotiu
Registered User
 
NickyFotiu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,560
vCash: 500
I may withdraw my 1 year offer if it means we lose another 2nd round pick. Make it a 2 year offer or nothing.

NickyFotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 05:21 PM
  #586
Brooklyn Ranger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn, of course
Posts: 7,704
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by goalsequalvictory View Post
So far, unless his price comes down dramatically, he hasn't shown anything that makes him worth 4 million per year.
Hopefully, his agent understands that he's on the decline, and just coming off an injury, and we can make a deal, but if he wants more than 3 million or 2 years, let him walk. No use throwing good money after bad(draft picks).
Clowe's agent understands that he's supposed to get him the best deal possible. It's up to the Ranger management to decide what their best deal is and then stick to it. And while I can't imagine signing Clowe to more than a two year contract, that may not be what the Rangers envision, much less what Clowe wants either.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 05:22 PM
  #587
Rust Heisenberg
Registered User
 
Rust Heisenberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 6,463
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
Clowe's play on ice the past 2 years suggest he is on a steep decline. Torres is faster, plays with more grit and keeps other team defenders on their heels. Clowe is too slow to make an impact.

I don't want him at all, I'll keep the 2nd round pick. Injury prone and declining in play.
Clowe's a smarter player and a much better locker room presence. You can't measure locker room presence? Look at the night and day change in the demeanor and play of the Rangers after they lost Prust, Dubinsky, and Rupp... Those were GOOD locker room guys. Torres is not. Clowe is.

Rust Heisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 05:23 PM
  #588
Rust Heisenberg
Registered User
 
Rust Heisenberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 6,463
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyFotiu View Post
I may withdraw my 1 year offer if it means we lose another 2nd round pick. Make it a 2 year offer or nothing.
Sign me up for 3/3.5.

Rust Heisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 06:07 PM
  #589
Ryan McDonut
McD for Captain
 
Ryan McDonut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 3,626
vCash: 500
waste of draft picks if you ask me. if he wants to come back it should be for cheaper because he really hasn't done much here. just my opinion

Ryan McDonut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 06:22 PM
  #590
Rust Heisenberg
Registered User
 
Rust Heisenberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 6,463
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan McDonut View Post
waste of draft picks if you ask me. if he wants to come back it should be for cheaper because he really hasn't done much here. just my opinion
1 year 2 mill gentleman's contract?

Rust Heisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 06:54 PM
  #591
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat
 
wolfgaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,056
vCash: 500
Stay away from re-signing this guy.... Shame we already had to give up 2 picks to acquire him....

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 11:37 PM
  #592
Inferno
HFB Partner
 
Inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 19,838
vCash: 500
id give clowe 3/3...MAYBE 3/3.5

has some ability, i guess. plus he can fight AND play, which is important.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 05:41 AM
  #593
BBKers
Registered User
 
BBKers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: South Koster, Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 5,643
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
id give clowe 3/3...MAYBE 3/3.5

has some ability, i guess. plus he can fight AND play, which is important.
3/3,7 is max what we can offer imo.
We can barely fit that in - which would also mean that a couple other guys become cap casualties.
i am pretty afraid we will be offering more - but the injury now might have a positive effect on these negotiations (not on team performance though as his presence will likely be sorely missed) from a NYR standpoint. Stepan and Hagelins great years mean they will cost more, McDonaghs price may be a small bit lower than first thought. MZA is also looking to get a raise as he now will stay a a RFA. Eminger most likely will get a short term deal as well. Gilroy and Hamrlik will walk


FORWARDS
Carl Hagelin ($2.200m) / Derek Stepan ($3.500m) / Ryan Callahan ($4.275m)
Rick Nash ($7.800m) / Brad Richards ($6.667m) / Mats Zuccarello ($1.500m)
Chris Kreider ($1.325m) / Derick Brassard ($3.200m) / Ryane Clowe ($3.700m)
Taylor Pyatt ($1.550m) / Brian Boyle ($1.700m) / Derek Dorsett ($1.633m)
Darroll Powe ($1.067m) / Arron Asham ($1.000m)

DEFENSEMEN
Ryan McDonagh ($4.000m) / Dan Girardi ($3.325m)
Marc Staal ($3.975m) / Anton Stralman ($1.700m)
Michael Del Zotto ($2.550m) / John Moore ($0.965m)
Steve Eminger ($0.800m)

GOALTENDERS
Henrik Lundqvist ($6.875m)
Martin Biron ($1.300m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $66,606,667; BONUSES: $762,500
CAP SPACE (23-man roster):- $1,544,167

Means that Boyle and Pyatt most likely will be the ones looking to be moved at the draft or offseason - replaced by the likes of Miller, Lindberg, Fast or Thomas.
Asham could be replaced by Haley too. Time will tell
Big Mac will be getting a look next year too, I would believe. With him & Skjei (if he takes a big step next year) in the pipeline their may be some validity to the idea/rumors of moving a regular Left D in the future. Should bring us quite the payback too.


Last edited by BBKers: 05-01-2013 at 05:54 AM.
BBKers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 06:08 AM
  #594
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 29,800
vCash: 500
Awards:
Interesting how all the sudden draft picks have value around here.

__________________
SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 06:20 AM
  #595
Mikos87
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 1,723
vCash: 500
Hey everyone said the same thing about Prust. Even Cally. He plays too hard, he's breaking down, his body can't handle it. Let's use other well conditioned athletes as a reference point, and not your own bodies, and your specific ages.

Now don't take that as a way of invalidating the concerns about Clowe, but consider this take for not just him but other players this season as well.

Now for those of you that watch other teams, and other sports, how many veteran players, who did not play over seas, were in good shape on Jan 19?

Of that group, how long did it take them to get into game shape?

To be fair to a lot of the voices, yes Clowe was out of shape, and yes he is slow. I ask these questions because I want to know just how much of this is a one-off and Clowe is among several veteran players that didn't get their legs until 3/4s of the season in, and how much of it is a decline?

You can change Clowe to Richards and do the same exercise, same for Boyle, Marleau in SJ, etc etc.

Knicks fans, what's the difference between an in-shape Raymond Felton and an out of shape one?

Mikos87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 07:47 AM
  #596
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,164
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Ramsay View Post
The rangers resigning Clowe to a stupid contract is one thing I'm nervous of this off-season...If it was 5 years ago I would be all about it. He really seems like a night and day player compared to what he was a few years ago...

He looks really slow, his production has been on the decline and he honestly just looks like a 30 year old with a lot of miles on him.. and now he possibly has a concussion?

IF the guy is able to play these playoffs and be a huge factor I might reconsider my position about him.... I just don't see it happening.
Clowe has NEVER been fast. This is the way he plays. Again, people see him and try to compare him to Nash or Callahan or Hagelin. That is not his game. He skates like many other big power forwards around the league who are not superstars. Ryan Malone is a great example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan McDonut View Post
waste of draft picks if you ask me. if he wants to come back it should be for cheaper because he really hasn't done much here. just my opinion
8 points in 12 games and the team made the playoffs. The team has played noticeably better since he was acquired (granted others were added as well). The team has been tougher to play against as well.

Sticking with my 3-4 year contract for 3-3.5 million/season. He fits this team and he fills a couple of major holes.

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 08:39 AM
  #597
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 29,800
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post

8 points in 12

Five came in two games.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 09:09 AM
  #598
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,164
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Five came in two games.
Did they win those games? I don't understand this thought process that points should be stripped from a player if they come in the same game.

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 09:13 AM
  #599
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 29,800
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
Did they win those games? I don't understand this thought process that points should be stripped from a player if they come in the same game.
They did win those games. And nobody is saying strip him of those points, but it changes and maybe even skews the way 8 points in 12 games, doesn't it?

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 09:50 AM
  #600
McRanger
Registered User
 
McRanger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,705
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
They did win those games. And nobody is saying strip him of those points, but it changes and maybe even skews the way 8 points in 12 games, doesn't it?
Depends on whether or not a poster likes or dislikes the player in question.

McRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:32 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.