HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Draft Part 3 (Flyers own the 11th overall pick)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-30-2013, 02:32 PM
  #851
Roo Mad Bro
U havin a giggle m8?
 
Roo Mad Bro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,834
vCash: 500
My irrelevant opinion on the dmen who I'd like at #11 are:

Nurse > Ristolainen > Pulock > Zadorov

Roo Mad Bro is offline  
Old
04-30-2013, 02:39 PM
  #852
LegionOfDoom91
Registered User
 
LegionOfDoom91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 18,280
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
I didn't realize Carter was ranked so low.

Looking back at old drafts makes me nervous; so many total busts taken in the first round like Hugh Jessiman, the guy taken 12th overall after Carter in 2003.
Richards was 30th.

I wouldn't be too worried ever since Homer arrived here in 1996 we've hit on a lot of our first rounders. Homer's actually not a bad drafter when he doesn't give away his picks.

1996- Dainius Zubrus (15th)
1997- N/A
1998- Simon Gagne (22nd)
1999- Maxime Ouellett (22nd)
2000- Justin Williams (28th)
2001- Jeff Woywitka (27th)
2002- Joni Pitkanen (4th)
2003- Jeff Carter (11th), Mike Richards (24th)
2004- N/A
2005- Steve Downie (29th)
2006- Claude Giroux (22nd)
2007- James Van Riemsdyk (2nd)
2008- Luca Sbisa (19th)
2009- N/A
2010- N/A
2011- Sean Couturier (8th)
2012- Scott Laughton (20th)

Ouellett would be the only one condsidered a flat out bust. Woywitka never played with us but still played in 200+ games. Laughton is still TBD.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline  
Old
04-30-2013, 03:06 PM
  #853
Curufinwe
Registered User
 
Curufinwe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Country: New Zealand
Posts: 11,845
vCash: 50
The first round in the 1999 draft was full of busts, so I won't kill the Flyers for that pick. Only the Sedins became great players.

Curufinwe is offline  
Old
04-30-2013, 03:10 PM
  #854
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!
 
FreshPerspective's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Italy
Posts: 11,544
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
The first round in the 1999 draft was full of busts, so I won't kill the Flyers for that pick. Only the Sedins became great players.
Funny about that 1999 pick....I remember all the hype over him so much so that Frank Seravalli has his dated user name on here as Ouellethedogsout..

FreshPerspective is offline  
Old
04-30-2013, 03:19 PM
  #855
FlyingPhilly
Registered User
 
FlyingPhilly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Philly
Country: United States
Posts: 1,375
vCash: 500
My preference of the d-man I would like the Flyers to take.

Of course, Jones is the #1, but that ship has sailed barring some unforeseen miracle.

Nurse > Risto > Zadorov > Pulock

Anyone have a good report on Hagg? I know the Flyers talked to Renberg about him and heard good stuff, but where does he project to go? I thought he would go in the late 1st or early 2nd, but seems like he could be projected higher. Getting a Swedish d-man can't be that bad though can it? I mean OEL, Karlsson, and Hedman aren't that bad from recent drafts.

FlyingPhilly is offline  
Old
04-30-2013, 03:22 PM
  #856
Jack de la Hoya
Registered User
 
Jack de la Hoya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 14,095
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingPhilly View Post
Anyone have a good report on Hagg? I know the Flyers talked to Renberg about him and heard good stuff, but where does he project to go? I thought he would go in the late 1st or early 2nd, but seems like he could be projected higher. Getting a Swedish d-man can't be that bad though can it? I mean OEL, Karlsson, and Hedman aren't that bad from recent drafts.
I think he's closer to Tim Erixon than those guys.

Jack de la Hoya is offline  
Old
04-30-2013, 03:26 PM
  #857
FlyingPhilly
Registered User
 
FlyingPhilly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Philly
Country: United States
Posts: 1,375
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post
I think he's closer to Tim Erixon than those guys.
Isn't Erixon Swedish too?

Well, that just makes me sad then.

FlyingPhilly is offline  
Old
04-30-2013, 03:34 PM
  #858
Jtown
Registered User
 
Jtown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Fairfax, Virginia
Posts: 15,112
vCash: 500
if we can't get Nurse, im on board with getting Shinkaruk.

Jtown is offline  
Old
04-30-2013, 03:39 PM
  #859
Jack de la Hoya
Registered User
 
Jack de la Hoya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 14,095
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
if we can't get Nurse, im on board with getting Shinkaruk.
Looking at 8-10, I'm just really not sure Shinkaruk drops to 11 if there's an early run on forwards. I don't think Buffalo will take him, but I doubt he gets by either Dallas or New Jersey.

Honestly, I'm beginning to wonder if it isn't more likely that Nurse drops to us than Shinkaruk (not that that would be a bad thing). If one team decides that they like Ristolainen or Zadorov more than Nurse, it really isn't that implausible that he slips to the Flyers.

Jack de la Hoya is offline  
Old
04-30-2013, 03:45 PM
  #860
Flyotes
JVR is Pigeon Caw!
 
Flyotes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,803
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
1999- Maxime Ouellett (22nd)
I still remember praising how great he was going to be-- back when I was cutting meat at the butcher shop in my youth. Going on and on during sport conversations with the other butcher's, yelling over the blasting cold air in order to be heard. I was genuinely amped for awhile.

That turned out horribly.

Flyotes is offline  
Old
04-30-2013, 03:47 PM
  #861
Jtown
Registered User
 
Jtown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Fairfax, Virginia
Posts: 15,112
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post
Looking at 8-10, I'm just really not sure Shinkaruk drops to 11 if there's an early run on forwards. I don't think Buffalo will take him, but I doubt he gets by either Dallas or New Jersey.

Honestly, I'm beginning to wonder if it isn't more likely that Nurse drops to us than Shinkaruk (not that that would be a bad thing). If one team decides that they like Ristolainen or Zadorov more than Nurse, it really isn't that implausible that he slips to the Flyers.
i think the top 9 in this draft are set in stone. And i doubt anyone else goes before the top 9 of

jones
mac
drouin
barkov
Nichusikin
Monahan
nurse
Shinkaruk
lindholm


a top 9 pick would've guaranteed us one of these guys. Monahan would be redundant on this team however.

after that i see a drop off in talent. Although Zadorov is intriguing.

Jtown is offline  
Old
04-30-2013, 03:56 PM
  #862
Jack de la Hoya
Registered User
 
Jack de la Hoya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 14,095
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
i think the top 9 in this draft are set in stone. And i doubt anyone else goes before the top 9 of

jones
mac
drouin
barkov
Nichusikin
Monahan
nurse
Shinkaruk
lindholm


a top 9 pick would've guaranteed us one of these guys. Monahan would be redundant on this team however.

after that i see a drop off in talent. Although Zadorov is intriguing.
I dunno. It seems to me that there are basically three clear tiers at the top of the first round. The first two are dominated by forwards, the third by defensemen and secondary forwards. In no particular order within each group:

Tier 1: Jones, Mackinnon, Drouin
Tier 2: Barkov, Lindholm, (Nichushkin*), Monahan
Tier 3: Nurse, Ristolainen, Zadorov, Pulock, Shinkaruk, Domi

You could quibble with some of the splits--I think some scouts are probably higher on Barkov than Drouin, and others are likely higher on Nurse than Monahan--and there's Nichushkin's KHL factor as a variable, but that's how I sort of see the lottery guys shaking out. I'm sure there will be one or two curveballs in there, but I don't think there's a clear drop between 9 and 10.


Last edited by Jack de la Hoya: 04-30-2013 at 04:03 PM.
Jack de la Hoya is offline  
Old
04-30-2013, 04:04 PM
  #863
LegionOfDoom91
Registered User
 
LegionOfDoom91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 18,280
vCash: 500
I would never say a top 10 is set in stone. The first couple of picks sure but not the whole top 10. There's too many variables we don't know and even these scouting services. Kids could show up to the combine out of shape and not test as well, they could bomb their intervews, contract issues, etc.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline  
Old
04-30-2013, 04:28 PM
  #864
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 13,596
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by DownieFaceSoftener View Post
I still remember praising how great he was going to be-- back when I was cutting meat at the butcher shop in my youth. Going on and on during sport conversations with the other butcher's, yelling over the blasting cold air in order to be heard. I was genuinely amped for awhile.

That turned out horribly.
Haha. Same here (minus the butcher shop references).

DrinkFightFlyers is offline  
Old
04-30-2013, 04:31 PM
  #865
Danko
...the way she goes
 
Danko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Country: United States
Posts: 4,419
vCash: 420
Really like Nurse, has a lot of energy, kind of reminds of Simmonds but on D.

Danko is offline  
Old
04-30-2013, 04:33 PM
  #866
LegionOfDoom91
Registered User
 
LegionOfDoom91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 18,280
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevindank View Post
Really like Nurse, has a lot of energy, kind of reminds of Simmonds but on D.
Gee I wonder why?

LegionOfDoom91 is offline  
Old
04-30-2013, 04:36 PM
  #867
Danko
...the way she goes
 
Danko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Country: United States
Posts: 4,419
vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
Gee I wonder why?
Just trying to draw based off someone on our team...watch his game, very similar high energy players. I'd say kind of like Brayden Schenn to..just watching his game he seems confident

Danko is offline  
Old
04-30-2013, 04:38 PM
  #868
LegionOfDoom91
Registered User
 
LegionOfDoom91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 18,280
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevindank View Post
Just trying to draw based off someone on our team...watch his game, very similar high energy players. I'd say kind of like Brayden Schenn to..just watching his game he seems confident
I know what you're saying. I was just kidding. Some scouts have compared him Pronger (as lazy as it is) so you could possibly use him.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline  
Old
04-30-2013, 05:01 PM
  #869
Krishna
Registered User
 
Krishna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Canada
Posts: 82,235
vCash: 500
Every big D man in the last 10 years gets compared to Pronger

Gonna be a tough defensive league in a few years

Krishna is offline  
Old
04-30-2013, 05:07 PM
  #870
LegionOfDoom91
Registered User
 
LegionOfDoom91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 18,280
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
Every big D man in the last 10 years gets compared to Pronger

Gonna be a tough defensive league in a few years
Off the top of my head Hedman and Gudbranson got it in recent years. I want to say Larsson too but I'm not 100% sure on that one.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline  
Old
04-30-2013, 05:20 PM
  #871
Flyers2point0
Registered User
 
Flyers2point0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Chicago, IL
Country: United States
Posts: 91
vCash: 500
I can't really see Nurse getting past Edmonton and one of Buffalo or NJ would probably take Risto. I've been crossing my fingers for Zadorov for a while now but I can definitely see it happening at this point. And with what Homer said about wanting to get more defenders and wanting to get bigger, I don't see them picking Shinkaruk or Domi.

Flyers2point0 is offline  
Old
04-30-2013, 05:25 PM
  #872
TheCerebral1
Hockey Heaven
 
TheCerebral1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 836
vCash: 500
Look at last year with Slater Koekkoek and Mikhail Grigorenko falling out of the top 10. Nothing is impossible. A team just has to buy into someone hard enough. Jones, MacKinnon and Drouin are all that's really a lock IMO.

TheCerebral1 is online now  
Old
04-30-2013, 05:33 PM
  #873
Jtown
Registered User
 
Jtown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Fairfax, Virginia
Posts: 15,112
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers2point0 View Post
I can't really see Nurse getting past Edmonton and one of Buffalo or NJ would probably take Risto. I've been crossing my fingers for Zadorov for a while now but I can definitely see it happening at this point. And with what Homer said about wanting to get more defenders and wanting to get bigger, I don't see them picking Shinkaruk or Domi.
when did homer say this? sounds like clarke is talking.

Jtown is offline  
Old
04-30-2013, 05:58 PM
  #874
LegionOfDoom91
Registered User
 
LegionOfDoom91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 18,280
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCerebral1 View Post
Look at last year with Slater Koekkoek and Mikhail Grigorenko falling out of the top 10. Nothing is impossible. A team just has to buy into someone hard enough. Jones, MacKinnon and Drouin are all that's really a lock IMO.
I looked up last years draft and tried to see if the ranking matched up with their actual draft position. I used both CSS and ISS's final lists. I know this year is deeper and seems more clear cut but still it's an example as to why you shouldn't take these lists as gospel.

Here's some guys that were projected to be top 10 picks but didn't:
-Grigorenko
-Forsberg
-Teravainen
-Ceci

Here's some guys that were in the top 10 that weren't projected to be:
-Lindholm
-Pouliot
-Koekkoek

Some guys who were ranked in the first round but fell to the second round:
-Kerdiles
-Finn
-Collberg
-Aberg
-Bystrom
-Thrower
-Sissons
-Peelch

Some guys who were ranked in the second round but went in the first round:
-Matheson
-Schmaltz
-Matteau
-Pearson


Last edited by LegionOfDoom91: 04-30-2013 at 06:04 PM.
LegionOfDoom91 is offline  
Old
04-30-2013, 06:09 PM
  #875
Jack de la Hoya
Registered User
 
Jack de la Hoya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 14,095
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCerebral1 View Post
Look at last year with Slater Koekkoek and Mikhail Grigorenko falling out of the top 10. Nothing is impossible. A team just has to buy into someone hard enough. Jones, MacKinnon and Drouin are all that's really a lock IMO.
Grigorenko, yes, but Koekkoek wasn't in CSS's top-10 among NA skaters--so the fact that he was picked 10th isn't exactly a fall. In fact, I seem to remember many of us hoping he would be there when we picked.

Jack de la Hoya is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:20 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.