HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) XXXV

Closed Thread

Old
04-30-2013, 04:07 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 4250
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pwnerer View Post
Barrie/Elliot/Siemans trade bait?
Yuck. I sure hope not. Maybe in 2-3 years we could deal one of them for that final piece to push us over the top and make us a cup favorite, but right now there is no reason to trade any of them. I hope they're big parts of our team when we become a playoff team again and beyond.

Old
04-30-2013, 04:11 PM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihiliste View Post
2 of Hunwick, Zanon, and SOB should be dumped anyways. Whether traded for a 7th or something, bought out, or waived. Elliott could start with Siemens in the the AHL, and the 3rd of the three stooges could be dumped too if we really have a chance to bring in a quality UFA.

That said, there isn't much quality out there so I'm not too fussed if we go into the season with what we have as long as Barrie/Elliott/Jones play over the dead weight.
The way I look at it... the Avs are going to go into the season with this:

Barrie-EJ
Hejda-Jones
Wilson-Elliott
Hunwick
Zanon/SOB

Trade one of Zanon/SOB for a bag of pucks or a late round pick. Elliott could go back to the AHL, but I really don't see that happening as I think he will be very good in training camp.

Old
04-30-2013, 04:13 PM
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraAcesS View Post
I like, but I'd include Horton and Stalberg in that list. I think Scuderi is probably the best option for that D-UFA spot. Similar to Hejda but better, and it would give both Barrie and Elliott a strong defensive partner.
Agree with Stalberg. I forgot about him and he would actually be my #1 choice for FA signings this summer among forwards.

Don't agree with Horton though. IMO we cant afford to spend 5M+ on a guy in free agency this summer when we have so many of our core guys to resign next year.

Stalberg should come fairly cheap(3.5M max) and can play any line and any role.

I am also not sold on the health of Horton.

Old
04-30-2013, 04:19 PM
Freaky Styley

in like 3-4 years, if we are able to ice a defense of:

Barrie - Johnson
x - Jones
Siemens Elliot
X

That is a VAST improvement. Hopefully we will still have all of the core forwards and Varly improving under new coaching and we could make some noise.

Oh, and Stalberg would be a great signing for us.. would look great with any of our centers I think

Old
04-30-2013, 04:23 PM
Nihiliste
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 542
Stalberg seems like the most Avs type pickup available out there amongst scoring forwards. Should be affordable, isn't among the main marquee names, and has untapped potential in terms of the role he's been used in.

Old
04-30-2013, 04:26 PM
CobraAcesS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihiliste View Post
2 of Hunwick, Zanon, and SOB should be dumped anyways. Whether traded for a 7th or something, bought out, or waived. Elliott could start with Siemens in the the AHL, and the 3rd of the three stooges could be dumped too if we really have a chance to bring in a quality UFA.

That said, there isn't much quality out there so I'm not too fussed if we go into the season with what we have as long as Barrie/Elliott/Jones play over the dead weight.
Whatever they have to do to fit another veteran in, they NEED TO DO IT. Having Jones, Barrie, and Elliott, as well as EJ with only having one quiet competent veteran in Hejda is stupid IMO.

It's a repeat of the same problem with developing EJ. No legit veterans with a winning history.

Barrie - EJ

Scuderi - Jones

Hejda - Elliott

Wilson - Hunwick

That involves buying out Zannon, and trading one of O'Brien or Hunwick. Not exactly a huge leap to be honest.

Old
04-30-2013, 04:29 PM
expatriated_texan
Freaking Loopy

vCash: 50
I actually expect to see nothing happen over the summer. The AVs front office and coaching staff are already going through a shakeup that may not be over with yet. We also have the #1 overall pick (which most likely result in adding a dman who is ineligible for the AHL to a dcorp that already has six one-way contracts and two two-way contracts that should already be playing more nights than not.)

I just think that we won't see anything other than a trade moving out depth d-men to make room for the younger kids that have earned icetime already.

As far as the forwards...I wouldn't expect to see any major changes (and I would say that signing a top six forward is a major change) until after the new head-coach is hired and has a chance to evaluate the players we have and talk strategy with the GM.

I believe that after the draft we are going to experience a very painfully long, slow and boring summer.

Maybe we can start a book-club.

Old
04-30-2013, 04:36 PM
CobraAcesS

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatriated_texan View Post
I actually expect to see nothing happen over the summer. The AVs front office and coaching staff are already going through a shakeup that may not be over with yet. We also have the #1 overall pick (which most likely result in adding a dman who is ineligible for the AHL to a dcorp that already has six one-way contracts and two two-way contracts that should already be playing more nights than not.)

I just think that we won't see anything other than a trade moving out depth d-men to make room for the younger kids that have earned icetime already.

As far as the forwards...I wouldn't expect to see any major changes (and I would say that signing a top six forward is a major change) until after the new head-coach is hired and has a chance to evaluate the players we have and talk strategy with the GM.

I believe that after the draft we are going to experience a very painfully long, slow and boring summer.

Maybe we can start a book-club.
This is definitely the glass half empty outlook, but I don't know how they can't sign at least one forward with Mitchell having to play on the top line. That is a glaringly obvious issue...

Landeskog
McGinn

Parenteau
Downie
Jones (Unfortunately he'll probably be given another shot.)

Are our legit top 9 wingers, that's 5 of the 6 needed. Mitchell and PJ/Kobasew/McLeod were never suppose to be used on one of the top 3 lines. Realistically we have 4 of the 6 needed IMO.

I'd 'like' to see Stalberg and Horton signed to fill out the forward roster, but I can only see us signing one forward. However they need to sign AT LEAST one.

Old
04-30-2013, 04:53 PM
expatriated_texan
Freaking Loopy

Quote:
This is definitely the glass half empty outlook, but I don't know how they can't sign at least one forward with Mitchell having to play on the top line. That is a glaringly obvious issue...

Landeskog
McGinn

Parenteau
Downie

Are our legit top 9 wingers, that's 5 of the 6 needed. Mitchell and PJ/Kobasew/McLeod were never suppose to be used on one of the top 3 lines. Realistically we have 4 of the 6 needed IMO.

I'd 'like' to see Stalberg and Horton signed to fill out the forward roster, but I can only see us signing one forward. However they need to sign AT LEAST one.
I'm not trying to be negative or half-empty. I'm just saying there's a lot of change happening so we outta get the management and coaching staff squared away, evaluate the team we have, the strategies the coach wishes to employ and then make moves going forward. Not sure that's going to be done in time for July 1st.

Regardless, I don't think we should fill out that last spot by overpaying in both term and dollars for Stalberg or Horton. I'd rather count on competition during camp to fill things out and if we can't find a solution there or know that it's not possible then go out via the trade route. Remember, the cap is falling so we might be able to take advantage of that. I'm also not convinced the new coach is going to want to run three scoring lines. It'd be really nice to do that but not at the expense of handcuffing the team constantly trying to balance the cap.

Old
04-30-2013, 04:58 PM
CobraAcesS

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatriated_texan View Post
I'm not trying to be negative or half-empty. I'm just saying there's a lot of change happening so we outta get the management and coaching staff squared away, evaluate the team we have, the strategies the coach wishes to employ and then make moves going forward. Not sure that's going to be done in time for July 1st.

Regardless, I don't think we should fill out that last spot by overpaying in both term and dollars for Stalberg or Horton. I'd rather count on competition during camp to fill things out and if we can't find a solution there or know that it's not possible then go out via the trade route. Remember, the cap is falling so we might be able to take advantage of that. I'm also not convinced the new coach is going to want to run three scoring lines. It'd be really nice to do that but not at the expense of handcuffing the team constantly trying to balance the cap.
I do think they should try to have the management situation figured out before the draft. However some of the holes are glaringly obvious and won't be filled by the system, and that's what they need to attack in free-agency.

That is one or two veteran players with a winning history.

Old
04-30-2013, 05:06 PM
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

Quote:

Landeskog
McGinn

Parenteau
Downie

Mitchell wont be on the Top line next year with Downie coming back.

Next year will probably look like this:

McGinn - Duchene - PAP
Landy - ROR - Downie
Mitchell - Stastny - Jones

No doubt we could use another Top 6/9 guy but I doubt Mitchell will be in the top 6.

One potential positive this summer is that with the cap going down by so much, there will be A LOT of teams that will be looking to shed salary rather then bring in more salary. So guys like Macarthur, Stalberg, Raymond, etc who hit free agency might not have as many options this year as they normally would.

Off the top of my head I can say almost for certain these teams will all be looking to move salary rather then take it on this summer:

Minny
Philly
Van
SJS
LAK
PIT
BOS
CHI

Old
04-30-2013, 05:20 PM
expatriated_texan
Freaking Loopy

Quote:
I do think they should try to have the management situation figured out before the draft. However some of the holes are glaringly obvious and won't be filled by the system, and that's what they need to attack in free-agency.

That is one or two veteran players with a winning history.
You might be right and I agree that if we do add, it needs to be a veteran player. I just think the trade route taking salary from a team hard against the cap might get us better results than overpaying on the FA market. And honestly if we are going to add to this team, I'd rather pick up a guy who can help us on the PK more than anything else.

Last edited by expatriated_texan: 04-30-2013 at 05:35 PM.
Old
04-30-2013, 05:28 PM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 239
I'd honestly take Palushaj over Mitchell next season. Wish we could swap their contracts.

Old
04-30-2013, 05:47 PM
Nihiliste
HFBoards Sponsor

If I had my way, we would dump Mitchell and bring in a more defensive 4th line C like Gordon. As well as sign a top 9 winger.

Old
04-30-2013, 06:07 PM
Nihiliste
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Whatever they have to do to fit another veteran in, they NEED TO DO IT. Having Jones, Barrie, and Elliott, as well as EJ with only having one quiet competent veteran in Hejda is stupid IMO.

As much as adding some veteran talent would be nice, I just find it unlikely. Scuderi and Regehr seem to be the best candidates available (Streit is a RH shot), but they're 34 and 33 respectively and I'm sure will be looking for ~4 year deals. Not to mention they'll have other suitors.

Our D is still very much a work in progress but if you look at something like

Barrie - Johnson
Hejda - Jones
Wilson - Elliott

with Siemens in the AHL working for a callup

vs.

Wilson - Johnson
Hunwick - O'byrne
Zanon - O'brien/Barrie

that's actually quite a bit of turnover in opening night rosters. I think management will continue to be patient as we're still missing pieces on D and and at forward, and our core guys are still developing.

Old
04-30-2013, 06:08 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Geez...how could anyone possibly say John Mitchell didn't exceed expectations? He's a 4th line center who was asked to do way, way more than should've been asked of him.

Regardless, the team does need to find a defensive forward or two to help out on the PK, especially if the Avs want to use O'Reilly in a more offensive role and on the PP going forward.

Old
04-30-2013, 06:10 PM
Nihiliste
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av-merican View Post
Geez...how could anyone possibly say John Mitchell didn't exceed expectations? He's a 4th line center who was asked to do way, way more than should've been asked of him.

Regardless, the team does need to find a defensive forward or two to help out on the PK, especially if the Avs want to use O'Reilly in a more offensive role and on the PP going forward.
This is my main complaint. He shouldn't really be anywhere near a scoring line, and as 4th line C would be fine if we had other options to lean on for the PK. But seeing Mitchell and Mcleod out there PKing every night (and with injuries up on scoring lines) was just depressing.

Old
04-30-2013, 06:20 PM
TwoPadStack
Gross Misconduct

Operation Get Rid of Jones/O'Brien/Zanon/Hunwick version 2.0 this summer. Primary objective for me. Then if we can add a winger(first) and a defenseman(secondary) in addition to drafting Jones, I'm a happy man. Oh, I kind of want a good coach, too, but that's a separate thread.

Old
04-30-2013, 07:48 PM
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoPadStack View Post
Operation Get Rid of Jones/O'Brien/Zanon/Hunwick version 2.0 this summer. Primary objective for me. Then if we can add a winger(first) and a defenseman(secondary) in addition to drafting Jones, I'm a happy man. Oh, I kind of want a good coach, too, but that's a separate thread.
Agreed except I would be ok with Giving Jones another season to prove himself.

It would be a bad team image if we bought him out 1 year after giving him his contract. I'd rather keep him for 1 more year, and then if he still isn't performing next year either Buy him out then or trade him for whatever we can get.

Zanon, Obrien, and Hunwick(In that order) can all go though. If we draft Jones our Defense will be very cluttered next year with those 3 guys so its best to move them.

UFA - EJ
Hejda - Jones
Wilson - Barrie
Elliott

Maybe keep Hunwick as the 7th Dman so Elliott is the one eating Nachos.

Old
04-30-2013, 08:39 PM
TwoPadStack
Gross Misconduct

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierce Hawthorne View Post
I don't think eating nachos should be part of his first pairing duties alongside Duncan Siemens in Lake Erie. Just my two cents.

Old
04-30-2013, 08:43 PM
SoundwaveIsCharisma

Send a message via AIM to SoundwaveIsCharisma
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoPadStack View Post
I don't think eating nachos should be part of his first pairing duties alongside Duncan Siemens in Lake Erie. Just my two cents.
How else will he pack on the pounds? We could make him our own Byfuglien.

Old
04-30-2013, 09:02 PM
Avs For Life
#92 #9 #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierce Hawthorne View Post
Agreed except I would be ok with Giving Jones another season to prove himself.

It would be a bad team image if we bought him out 1 year after giving him his contract. I'd rather keep him for 1 more year, and then if he still isn't performing next year either Buy him out then or trade him for whatever we can get.

Zanon, Obrien, and Hunwick(In that order) can all go though. If we draft Jones our Defense will be very cluttered next year with those 3 guys so its best to move them.

UFA - EJ
Hejda - Jones
Wilson - Barrie
Elliott

If we give D. Jones another shot...MAKE him work out with Matty and Sid in the offseason...

Old
05-01-2013, 08:01 AM
AslanRH
Part of the Plan

My 2013 starting roster guess as of now (hoping Stalberg is signed to play with Duchene)

Stalberg-Duchene-Parenteau
Landeskog-O'Reilly-Downie
McGinn-Stastny-Jones
McLeod-Mitchell-Bordeleau
Olver/Palushaj

Wilson-Johnson
Hejda-Jones
Elliott-Barrie
Zanon

Varlamov
Giguere

2 of Zanon, O'Brien and Hunwick will get traded for 2014 mid round picks or AHL prospects if Seth Jones is drafted, and Zanon seems the least likely to be movable.

Will be a quiet off season overall in player movement for the Avs, but a new coach and the draft will be what brings the most excitement in a couple years to the fan base.

"There's a point, far out there when the structures fail you, and the rules aren't weapons anymore, they're... shackles letting the bad guy get ahead. One day... you may face such a moment of crisis." - Jim Gordon
Old
05-01-2013, 10:24 AM
NothingLikeAnEJ
Jimmies: Rustled

The more I look at the D, the more likely it becomes that Elliott will start the season in Lake Erie. There just isn't room for him with Wilson healthy. We all know the Avs won't be able to get rid of BOTH beard and SOB so we will most likely head into next season with:

Wilson-EJ
Hejda-Jones
SOB/Zanon-Barrie

Then Wilson will get his yearly injury and Elliott will be called up.

Old
05-01-2013, 12:00 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

I think we should keep SOB. I have zero faith that Wilson can stay healthy, and I'd certainly take him over Zanon or Hunwick.

Closed Thread