HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

General Predators Talk Part III

View Poll Results: Will we see any games for the 12-13 season?
Yes 12 32.43%
Nope 8 21.62%
Partial season 17 45.95%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
04-30-2013, 02:34 PM
Iron Duke

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top 6 Spaling View Post
Taking Bourque's numbers from this year and expanding them to an 82 games season, he was on pace for 26.5 goals. I doubt he ever reaches 30, or even 25, but let's not discount this guy as a nice piece going forward.
I'm not sure he has quite the same level of ability, and lacks the pest edge, but Bourque reminds me a lot of Chris Kunitz when he played for the Ducks.

Old
04-30-2013, 03:01 PM
Persona5

vCash: 700
Quote:
Taking Bourque's numbers from this year and expanding them to an 82 games season, he was on pace for 26.5 goals. I doubt he ever reaches 30, or even 25, but let's not discount this guy as a nice piece going forward.
When Bourque is consistantly able to be on our third line (not 1st or 2nd) we will know we have a chance at a deep playoff run. He is a top notch grinding 3rd liner that is the type of player you need to compete at the highest level in this league.

Old
04-30-2013, 03:17 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

He keeps getting better. He plays hard all the time, he's fast and goes to the net hard.

I'm not going to label him anything just yet, he might be a late bloomer.

Here's what I know. He's has played in only 77 NHL games and he already has 18 goals and 35 points. He's actually been more productive in the NHL than he has been anywhere else.

Old
04-30-2013, 03:17 PM
Preddownsouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persona5 View Post
When Bourque is consistantly able to be on our third line (not 1st or 2nd) we will know we have a chance at a deep playoff run. He is a top notch grinding 3rd liner that is the type of player you need to compete at the highest level in this league.
I would like to see him on the 3rd line as well. What are your top 2 lines if GB is indeed rolling on the 3rd?

Old
04-30-2013, 03:47 PM
Persona5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preddownsouth View Post
I would like to see him on the 3rd line as well. What are your top 2 lines if GB is indeed rolling on the 3rd?
Next season idealy would be something like this...

Wilson/Fisher/Horny
Stalberg or SK/Barkov/Forsberg
Bourque/Legwand/Beck or Smith
Clune/Gaustad/Spaling

Bench/depth: Butler and/or Yip

Year 2 could look like this...

Wilson/Barkov/Forsberg
Stalberg/Fisher/Horny
Bourque/Legwand/Beck or Smith
Clune/Gaustad/Spaling

This could work and while the 4th line would likely change a bit I can see us doing pretty well with these combos.

Old
04-30-2013, 03:59 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

So a 17 year old rookie, is going to come in his first season in NA and take the 2nd line spot?

Bourque can't play on the 2nd line but SK can?

Old
04-30-2013, 04:14 PM
token grinder

If both whoever we draft 4th and Forsberg are a third of our top six we will be in the lottery again. One maybe,, the other needs to be playing limited minutes in high leverage situations and ease in.

Old
04-30-2013, 07:29 PM
Iron Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
If both whoever we draft 4th and Forsberg are a third of our top six we will be in the lottery again. One maybe,, the other needs to be playing limited minutes in high leverage situations and ease in.
Agreed, unless either or both completely blow the staff away during camp.

Old
04-30-2013, 08:24 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Watching this STL-LAK game reminds me how far we are from contending.

Old
04-30-2013, 08:58 PM
WartracePred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Duke View Post
Agreed, unless either or both completely blow the staff away during camp.
We've all seen Forsberg. He's not ready for extended top 6 minutes. Is he really going to improve that much over the summer???

Old
04-30-2013, 09:01 PM
Iron Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by WartracePred View Post
We've all seen Forsberg. He's not ready for extended top 6 minutes. Is he really going to improve that much over the summer???
No, not likely, but you never know what an off-season and training camp will do for a player. I'm certainly not penciling him in at this point, though.

Old
04-30-2013, 09:17 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Compared to what other options...

Old
04-30-2013, 10:58 PM
drwpreds

Quote:
Watching this STL-LAK game reminds me how far we are from contending.
Meh- I don't think you can say that- next year is a different year-

Montreal finished 28th in the league last year, and I am sure their fans were saying the same things- and this year they win the division.

You just never know what is going to happen

Old
04-30-2013, 11:21 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by drwpreds View Post
Meh- I don't think you can say that- next year is a different year-

Montreal finished 28th in the league last year, and I am sure their fans were saying the same things- and this year they win the division.

You just never know what is going to happen
agreed. People forget that for about the first half of the season, we were the #1 defensive team in the league. If all our players(most importantly Pekka) are healthy, we can hang with anybody, especially in 2-1 OT type games...

Old
05-01-2013, 06:58 AM
Top 6 Spaling

Did either of you watch that game? They are flat out faster, more creative, and just better.

Old
05-01-2013, 07:43 AM
jlsg

It's playoff hockey. It will be faster. The difference between the Kings or Blues and the Preds is 1 or 2 players. That's how competitive this league is.

Old
05-01-2013, 08:14 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
I think he showed enough flashes to have me encouraged. You were watching a 19 year old that had 2 full practices with the team. You can't really judge his performance on what you saw in 5 games down the stretch.

As for Barkov...I've seen him more than some of you...he's NHL ready. He didn't dominate a junior league, he was in the top ten in scoring in a men's league that's pretty comparable to the AHL. He has a man's body.

I expect both will be in the top six next year, and it will be more productive than what you're expecting.

Old
05-01-2013, 08:17 AM
drwpreds

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
agreed. People forget that for about the first half of the season, we were the #1 defensive team in the league. If all our players(most importantly Pekka) are healthy, we can hang with anybody, especially in 2-1 OT type games...
Exactly- and even in this awful, horrible season, maybe the worst we've ever had, we were still right there with the Blues in the standings until the wheels finally fell off in the last month.

Old
05-01-2013, 09:22 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurGocIsAnAwesomeGoc View Post
I think he showed enough flashes to have me encouraged. You were watching a 19 year old that had 2 full practices with the team. You can't really judge his performance on what you saw in 5 games down the stretch.

As for Barkov...I've seen him more than some of you...he's NHL ready. He didn't dominate a junior league, he was in the top ten in scoring in a men's league that's pretty comparable to the AHL. He has a man's body.

I expect both will be in the top six next year, and it will be more productive than what you're expecting.
Trotz usually plays the 2nd line between 18 and 19 minutes a game. Do you really think he's going to play Barkov that much?

Are we referring to 2nd line as just as a more offensive line or are we referring to 2nd line minutes, which is generally what is referred to as the 2nd line.

If it is 2nd line minutes, I'd bet against it.

Radulov with all his hype, and his early production averaged 11 minutes a game his rookie year.

Old
05-01-2013, 09:25 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
Trotz usually plays the 2nd line between 18 and 19 minutes a game. Do you really think he's going to play Barkov that much?

Are we referring to 2nd line as just as a more offensive line or are we referring to 2nd line minutes, which is generally what is referred to as the 2nd line.

If it is 2nd line minutes, I'd bet against it.

Radulov with all his hype, and his early production averaged 11 minutes a game his rookie year.
The difference, and I think part of why they love Barkov, is that his defensive game is already very, very good. He's not a free-wheeler. He's basically tailor-made for Barry Trotz.

Old
05-01-2013, 09:56 AM
Persona5

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurGocIsAnAwesomeGoc View Post
The difference, and I think part of why they love Barkov, is that his defensive game is already very, very good. He's not a free-wheeler. He's basically tailor-made for Barry Trotz.
And this is the only reason I can see Barkov getting second line minutes and also why the Predators will fall in love with him. Don't be confused however about the type of player he is. Just because a player is responsable in the D-zone doesn't mean he can't produce offensively. I also hate when people say Trotz will just turn him into Legwand 2.0. Legwand was not a defesively minded player that produced offensive numbers. They had to teach him to be more responsable. They won't have nearly as much work to do with Barkov.

As for Forsberg I know it is a stretch that he will make the team next season or be getting second line minutes but it could happen. I owuld just be happy if he made the team for next season and I really think our power play could use him.

Old
05-01-2013, 10:21 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Agreed on the Legwand comment Persona. Legwand was a weak defensive player at first, and Trotz called him out in post game shows and in the newspapers on it constantly.

Whatever our opinion is on Legwand, Trotz molded him to be what he is now.

Old
05-01-2013, 02:28 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

The thing about Forsberg is that he didn't look any worse, but actually looked better than 80% of the team in the games he played. I am confident he can make the team out of camp.

Old
05-01-2013, 02:47 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
Agreed on the Legwand comment Persona. Legwand was a weak defensive player at first, and Trotz called him out in post game shows and in the newspapers on it constantly.

Whatever our opinion is on Legwand, Trotz molded him to be what he is now.
He molded him to be an serviceable NHL player. There is no way Legwand has the offensive skill to be a free-floating offensive weapon like Ovechkin, Semin, Stamkos, Radulov, etc.

Old
05-01-2013, 02:56 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
He molded him to be an serviceable NHL player. There is no way Legwand has the offensive skill to be a free-floating offensive weapon like Ovechkin, Semin, Stamkos, Radulov, etc.
Can't really compare him with offensive wingers like Semin, Ovechkin, Radulov and no he doesn't have their offensive ability and not many centers in the league have Stamkos ability, not many players period have that ability.

I do think though if he had more focus on offensive development early on he could have been closer to a Patrick Marleau and if you check Marleau's stats prior to Thornton's arrival they're pretty similar to Legwand's. Thornton made Cheechoo look like an offensive genius though.

Closed Thread