HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Miscellaneous NHL Talk Part 4: The 2013 Playoffs Edition

Closed Thread

Old
04-30-2013, 08:15 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOREacek View Post
The guy never came up clutch for us in the playoffs. Big whoop, he finally did last year. It was about damn time.

Injuries are also an excuse. A lot of guys are banged up come playoff time.
Injuries are the only valid excuse. Lots of guys are banged up, sure. How many are playing on broken feet, or with separated shoulders? Carter's game depends on his speed and shot. Those injuries directly impact those, and greatly hamper him. They were pretty much the worst injuries possible for a player of his style.

Also amusing: Giroux doesn't perform well with injured wrists. It's ok, he's injured. If the same thing happened with Carter it would be called choking. It's utterly nonsensical. If Carter tries to play through it, he's a choker. If he sits out, he's a choker. Ridiculous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
I thought I saw on the overhead that Elliott got just enough of Carter's shot with his trapper for the ping.
Nah, whenever a goalie makes a save it's just Carter choking. His shooting percentage isn't 100% and he has missed shots. Sure sign of choking.

04-30-2013, 08:19 PM
LegionOfDoom91

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOREacek View Post
The guy never came up clutch for us in the playoffs. Big whoop, he finally did last year. It was about damn time.

Injuries are also an excuse. A lot of guys are banged up come playoff time.
I'm no Carter fan but the guy did play a series with basically both of his feet being F'd up. He didn't do much but he still at least played all banged up.

Old
04-30-2013, 08:19 PM
TheLegendkiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Injuries are the only valid excuse. Lots of guys are banged up, sure. How many are playing on broken feet, or with separated shoulders? Carter's game depends on his speed and shot. Those injuries directly impact those, and greatly hamper him. They were pretty much the worst injuries possible for a player of his style.

Also amusing: Giroux doesn't perform well with injured wrists. It's ok, he's injured. If the same thing happened with Carter it would be called choking. It's utterly nonsensical. If Carter tries to play through it, he's a choker. If he sits out, he's a choker. Ridiculous.

Nah, whenever a goalie makes a save it's just Carter choking. His shooting percentage isn't 100% and he has missed shots. Sure sign of choking.

There were at least 2 series where Carter wasn't injured and did jack-****. In 09 against the Pens and in 11 against Buffalo. Dude is just not a clutch player most of the time. How about you accept that and move on?

Old
04-30-2013, 08:20 PM
Krishna

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by PALE PWNR View Post
There was about 3 foot of net wide open that he couldn't have stopped and he put it back into the goalie.
Reminds me of the time in Game 6 of the SCF

Open net

hits goalie

Old
04-30-2013, 08:23 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:

Also amusing: Giroux doesn't perform well with injured wrists. It's ok, he's injured. If the same thing happened with Carter it would be called choking. It's utterly nonsensical. If Carter tries to play through it, he's a choker. If he sits out, he's a choker. Ridiculous
Giroux was still one of our better players during the Devils series. It's not saying much but he still served a purpose until he went all postal on Zubrus.

Old
04-30-2013, 08:27 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegendkiller View Post
There were at least 2 series where Carter wasn't injured and did jack-****. In 09 against the Pens and in 11 against Buffalo. Dude is just not a clutch player most of the time. How about you accept that and move on?
Against Buffalo he had his knee injured in what...the second game? I recall he had a shoulder injury in 09, too.

I don't "move on" because people here haven't moved on from the silly notion that he chokes nonstop. This fanbase's hate for Carter never made sense to me. I'm not even a Carter fan (believe it or not, I don't really care), I just don't like seeing statements that have no grounding in reality; examples: Leighton is an NHL goalie, Bryzgalov has been just fine, Carter chokes nonstop/sucks. None of those statements are realistic. There's been a clear double standard involving Carter for years, where he has zero margin for error.

Old
04-30-2013, 08:31 PM

It seems to be HF logic that it's OK for Carter to be injured almost every year when it arrives at the play-offs. How many times does he have to turn up injured before people start to call him unreliable?

When has he ever torn it up in the play-offs anyway? He's got 11 in 17 and 13 in 20 as his best career performances. Giroux has 21 in 23, 21 in 11 and 17 in 10, that's tearing it up. Hell, G got as many goals in the first round last year as Carter had in an entire cup run.

He's a good player and all and a great goal scorer but he was never clutch. Through his Flyer play-off career he had 21 points in 47 games and why is that? The poorer teams are weeded out and only the strong remain. You can blame it on any number of unsubstantiated injuries (easy to say...) all you like, but he rarely did it against the top sides and rarely turned up when we needed him.

Last edited by 1865: 04-30-2013 at 08:37 PM.
Old
04-30-2013, 08:33 PM
TheLegendkiller

Quote:
Against Buffalo he had his knee injured in what...the second game? I recall he had a shoulder injury in 09, too.

I don't "move on" because people here haven't moved on from the silly notion that he chokes nonstop. This fanbase's hate for Carter never made sense to me. I'm not even a Carter fan (believe it or not, I don't really care), I just don't like seeing statements that have no grounding in reality; examples: Leighton is an NHL goalie, Bryzgalov has been just fine, Carter chokes nonstop/sucks. None of those statements are realistic. There's been a clear double standard involving Carter for years, where he has zero margin for error.
It was in game 4 he hurt his knee. Him and Myers collided. He didn't do anything before that injury either.

Old
04-30-2013, 08:35 PM
Krishna

Yells at people to not bash Carter for his inconsistency

Bashes Bryz for his inconsistency

Old
04-30-2013, 08:36 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1865 View Post
It seems to be HF logic that it's OK and not at all a sleight against Carter for him to be injured almost every year when it arrives at the play-offs.

When has he ever torn it up in the play-offs though? He's got 11 points in 17 and 13 in 20 as his best performances. Giroux has 21 in 23, 21 in 11 and 17 in 10, that's tearing it up.
Last season.

You won't see me claim he's a better offensive player than Giroux. He isn't. He's definitely much better defensively, but he can't touch Giroux's offense.

But to entirely dismiss him as a choker because he's a mortal human who can't will his body to work when it's not physically able to is astonishing gap in reasonable thinking.

Old
04-30-2013, 08:37 PM
MP92

[QUOTE=Beef Invictus;64986131]Injuries are the only valid excuse. Lots of guys are banged up, sure. How many are playing on broken feet, or with separated shoulders? Carter's game depends on his speed and shot. Those injuries directly impact those, and greatly hamper him. They were pretty much the worst injuries possible for a player of his style.

Are you serious? The whole team didn't do squat in the Devils series. Giroux has also been a tremendous playoff performer his whole career. One bad series was bound to happen to him. Just like one good one was bound to happen for Carter.

Old
04-30-2013, 08:38 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
Yells at people to not bash Carter for his inconsistency

Bashes Bryz for his inconsistency
Oh, has Bryz been injured nonstop these last two years? If he had been, I'd be far more merciful. Hell, I was constantly mentioning his foot injury on goals where it seemed he couldn't move quick enough. Try knowing what youre talking about before you spew that crap.

Offensive inconsistency in a forward is also a helluva lot less of an issue than inconsistency in net.

Old
04-30-2013, 08:39 PM
Krishna

Quote:
Oh, has Bryz been injured nonstop these last two years?

Offensive inconsistency in a forward is also a helluva lot less of an issue than inconsistency in net.

Weak troll attempt though, 1/10
Bryz was hurt in the playoffs last year and got worn down this year.

Old
04-30-2013, 08:40 PM

Quote:
1) Giroux has 1 play-off injury and even with it he's still the best player on the roster.
2) Carter is injured every bloody year come play-off time, or says he is.
3) Giroux has a history of career play-off performances to allow one poor series, Carter doesn't.

Old
04-30-2013, 08:40 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

[QUOTE=SCOREacek;64987849]
Quote:

Are you serious? The whole team didn't do squat in the Devils series. Giroux has also been a tremendous playoff performer his whole career. One bad series was bound to happen to him. Just like one good one was bound to happen for Carter.
And most of the team was crap in the Buffalo series, and Carter missed nearly half of it. Yet that makes him a choker?

Old
04-30-2013, 08:41 PM
BernieParent

Well, with the Flyers missing the playoffs, it's some small relief for Carter to not be competing in them, I'm sure ...

Oh wait, he's not a Flyer anymore. Why, exactly, are we picking at this scab again?

Old
04-30-2013, 08:41 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
Bryz was hurt in the playoffs last year and got worn down this year.
And I gave him injury consideration last year.

Being word down is a crap excuse, since he was only good for one game after a 5 day rest. Then he reverted to sucking.

Old
04-30-2013, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Last season.

You won't see me claim he's a better offensive player than Giroux. He isn't. He's definitely much better defensively, but he can't touch Giroux's offense.

But to entirely dismiss him as a choker because he's a mortal human who can't will his body to work when it's not physically able to is astonishing gap in reasonable thinking.
Last year? He got 13 points, good for 12th overall! Justin Williams comfortably outscored him and you don't hear anyone telling us that he tore it up.

I know you like the guy and all, but c'mon man...

Old
Krishna

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
Well, with the Flyers missing the playoffs, it's some small relief for Carter to not be competing in them, I'm sure ...

Oh wait, he's not a Flyer anymore. Why, exactly, are we picking at this scab again?
Open net

Hits the goalie

Old
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
1) Giroux has 1 play-off injury and even with it he's still the best player on the roster.
2) Carter is injured every bloody year come play-off time, or says he is.
3) Giroux has a history of career play-off performances to allow one poor series, Carter doesn't.
Carter has a healthy series, proves what he can do healthy.

Still a choker.

How does that work?

Why do you people think the majority of fans from other fanbases laugh at the Flyers fanbase's stance on Carter?

Old
04-30-2013, 08:44 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
Last year? He got 13 points, good for 12th overall! Justin Williams comfortably outscored him and you don't hear anyone telling us that he tore it up.

I know you like the guy and all, but c'mon man...
We both know he doesn't get many assists.

Remember, he started out with a foot injury. He got better as time went on, because as it healed he started to get his speed back. His speed is pretty crucial for his play style. And remind me...what role did he play in their Cup win?

Old
04-30-2013, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Carter has a healthy series, proves what he can do healthy.

Still a choker.

How does that work?

Why do you people think the majority of fans from other fanbases laugh at the Flyers fanbase's stance on Carter?
I don't know why you're talking like he was Conn Smythe-worthy. He was less than 0.5GPG and was outscored by Bryce Salvador.

Most other fanbases still think we traded Carter to LA, so i'm not going to take their stance on much. Regardless, i've read a lot of this board and I don't see many people laughing at our stance. A lot of them feel stronger about it than even we do.

Old
04-30-2013, 08:47 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
I don't know why you're talking like he was Conn Smythe-worthy. He was less than 0.5GPG and was outscored by Bryce Salvador.
Tell me where I said "Conn Smythe."

I'm just trying to give him SOME shred of credit, whereas people here refuse to give him any because he bleached his hair, or something. Who knows? The hate for him never made any sense. He's certainly not my favorite player, but the irrational hate is simply absurd.

Old
04-30-2013, 08:48 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:

Most other fanbases still think we traded Carter to LA, so i'm not going to take their stance on much. Regardless, i've read a lot of this board and I don't see many people laughing at our stance. A lot of them feel stronger about it than even we do.
You haven't seen the LA fans wondering what the hell Flyers fans were thinking by hating him?

Old
04-30-2013, 08:49 PM
BringBackStevens

Ah, the Carter hate. Don't miss this nonsensical discussion

Closed Thread