HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Miscellaneous NHL Talk Part 4: The 2013 Playoffs Edition

Closed Thread

Old
04-30-2013, 08:49 PM
StevensCakeBakerBacker

vCash: 500
Is this real life?

Old
04-30-2013, 08:50 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Here's his playoff stats during his time in Philly:

05/06- 6GP 0PTS
07/08- 17GP 11PTS (6G, 5A)
08/09- 6GP 1PTS (1G)
09/10- 12GP 7PTS (5G, 2A)
10/11- 6GP 2PTS (1G,1A)
Totals- 47GP 21PTS (13G, 8A)

I don't know if he was a choker but for being one our top players he didn't produce much for us in the playoffs during his time here. We got better production from younger guys and less heralded players during that time span in the playoffs. He turned it around last year in LA but people calling him out for his time here are pretty justified in doing so at at least from a playoff standpoint.

Last edited by LegionOfDoom91: 04-30-2013 at 08:59 PM.
Old

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Tell me where I said "Conn Smythe."

I'm just trying to give him SOME shred of credit, whereas people here refuse to give him any because he bleached his hair, or something. Who knows? The hate for him never made any sense. He's certainly not my favorite player, but the irrational hate is simply absurd.
He gets the credit that he deserves. The credit that you get for having one decent play-off performance in seven years and only managing to keep fit for one. There's only so long you can keep relying on the injury excuse before it stops washing.

I give him credit for his 40 goal season but I will also never forget the open goal he missed and the stupid penalty he took. He's an excellent regular season player but he's a million, billion miles away from being anything like a play-off performer.

Old
Jack de la Hoya

Oh...this discussion again...?

I think my dog needs a walk.

Old
04-30-2013, 08:51 PM
Prongo
Beer

Bryz apologists last year "Bryz is a workhorse, he needs to play more"

This year "he is tired and worn down, he can't be playing all these games"

Just excuses, that's all. Bryz has been horrible here, and he is paid to stop the tough shots, which he doesn't. Don't spew **** about defense blah blah blah, he needed to step up his game, and can't. He had one great month and every Bryz fan says he is capable of that. I am always optimistic, but he has been dreadful. I rather use his 23 months of sucking over the one month of great hockey.

EDIT: My best attempt to sway this thread like every other thread ever does, to a Bryz bashing!!

Old
04-30-2013, 08:52 PM

Quote:
You haven't seen the LA fans wondering what the hell Flyers fans were thinking by hating him?
I think you're the only one suggesting anyone hates him, in fact you're not allowing any criticism for him whatsoever. You also said 'most' fanbases, not just LA. If the Kings fans are happy with what he's produced then that's just gravy, but I always wanted more from a very talented man who rarely produced it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post

Good, you don't have to join in.

Old
04-30-2013, 08:52 PM
StevensCakeBakerBacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post

Not if that bum has two broken feet! Rabble rabble rabble rabble!

Old
04-30-2013, 08:53 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1865 View Post
He gets the credit that he deserves. The credit that you get for having one decent play-off performance in seven years and only managing to keep fit for one. There's only so long you can keep relying on the injury excuse before it stops washing.

I give him credit for his 40 goal season but I will also never forget the open goal he missed and the stupid penalty he took. He's an excellent regular season player but he's a million, billion miles away from being anything like a play-off performer.
Again, last year, when he was finally healthy...that sort of destroys this statement.

04-30-2013, 08:54 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

Quote:
I think you're the only one suggesting anyone hates him, in fact you're not allowing any criticism for him whatsoever. You also said 'most' fanbases, not just LA. If the Kings fans are happy with what he's produced then that's just gravy, but I always wanted more from a very talented man who rarely produced it.
Oh, we were mocked last offseason on the main boards.

I allow criticism of him. There are things worth criticizing. The problem is, people choose the non-nonsensical things to criticize, like not being able to play like an all-star while injured..

Old
04-30-2013, 08:56 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
Bryz apologists last year "Bryz is a workhorse, he needs to play more"

This year "he is tired and worn down, he can't be playing all these games"

Just excuses, that's all. Bryz has been horrible here, and he is paid to stop the tough shots, which he doesn't. Don't spew **** about defense blah blah blah, he needed to step up his game, and can't. He had one great month and every Bryz fan says he is capable of that. I am always optimistic, but he has been dreadful. I rather use his 23 months of sucking over the one month of great hockey.
Bryz is next.

Old
04-30-2013, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Again, last year, when he was finally healthy...that sort of destroys this statement.
Oh my lord. He scored eight goals and thirteen points in TWENTY games. You talk like he was PPG. He wasn't close. In his entire play-off career he's had one pretty good series across seven years. If you think that makes him a play-off performer then i'm happy for you, but most of us expect a smidgen more.

Old
04-30-2013, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Oh, we were mocked last offseason on the main boards.

I allow criticism of him. There are things worth criticizing. The problem is, people choose the non-nonsensical things to criticize, like not being able to play like an all-star while injured..
I was here. We were mocked by people who thought we'd traded him to LA. We didn't. They thought we got nothing back, we didn't. Now people are seeing that Carter's value was a lot higher than his return. Hell, with hindsight i'd take Voracek alone for him.

Old
04-30-2013, 08:59 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

Quote:
Oh my lord. He scored eight goals and thirteen points in TWENTY games. You talk like he was PPG. He wasn't close. In his entire play-off career he's had one pretty good series across seven years. If you think that makes him a play-off performer then i'm happy for you, but most of us expect a smidgen more.
He had a fantastic Finals, when the stakes were highest. Chokers choke when the stakes are highest, don't they? How can one choke if they excel under the highest pressure?

Frankly, the whole thing reminds me of Jester's many discourses on why "choking" is very likely a myth perpetuated by the small sample size of the average playoff run.

Old
04-30-2013, 08:59 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
Bryz is next.
Good!

Then after him we can go Lavy, Captain Giroux, Briere, and Coburn.

Talk about how the Pronger trade was horrible because he took a stick to the eye. Also Richards and Carter were traded only because of "hockey reasons". This board needs another feud where half the board wonders off!

Old
04-30-2013, 09:00 PM
flyershockey

Quote:
Carter didn't exactly light the world on fire in the playoffs though. He was good, but not exceptional.

I agree that injuries have really hit him hard, and most of that is just bad luck, but at what point do you have to start to doubt if you can rely on him to be a star because of his durability issues?

Old
04-30-2013, 09:02 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

Quote:
I was here. We were mocked by people who thought we'd traded him to LA. We didn't. They thought we got nothing back, we didn't. Now people are seeing that Carter's value was a lot higher than his return. Hell, with hindsight i'd take Voracek alone for him.
I do the trade every time too. Hell, I was pretty pleased with the value of the trade before Couturier was picked; it exceeded what I thought we'd get for him, and happy as a pig in poop when they got Coots. I was less than happy about the Richards trade though.

Old
04-30-2013, 09:05 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyershockey View Post
Carter didn't exactly light the world on fire in the playoffs though. He was good, but not exceptional.

I agree that injuries have really hit him hard, and most of that is just bad luck, but at what point do you have to start to doubt if you can rely on him to be a star because of his durability issues?
Well, like I said, he started the playoffs last year with his foot bothering him, and gradually looked better as time went on and it mended.

His durability is definitely a knock, especially his feet; and especially when you consider that his lack of playmaking ability means his offense is basically gone if something happens to his shot or speed. The difference is, I'm not going to hold it against the player for not playing like they're healthy when they're not. And unlike some people that I've seen, I don't consider injuries to be a form of choking.

The point is, at no point did he choke last year while he was healthy. So acting like he does nothing but choke is over the top.

Old
04-30-2013, 09:06 PM
flyershockey

Quote:
Good!

Talk about how the Pronger trade was horrible because he took a stick to the eye. Also Richards and Carter were traded only because of "hockey reasons". This board needs another feud where half the board wonders off!
The mass exodus of a certain bunch after the trades did wonders to lighten this board up a little bit.

Old
04-30-2013, 09:11 PM
flyershockey

Quote:
Well, like I said, he started the playoffs last year with his foot bothering him, and gradually looked better as time went on and it mended.

His durability is definitely a knock, especially his feet; and especially when you consider that his lack of playmaking ability means his offense is basically gone if something happens to his shot or speed. The difference is, I'm not going to hold it against the player for not playing like they're healthy when they're not. And unlike some people that I've seen, I don't consider injuries to be a form of choking.

The point is, at no point did he choke last year while he was healthy. So acting like he does nothing but choke is over the top.
I never really considered Carter to be a choker. The chest snipe on Niemi in game 6 gets way too much play around here. That wasn't a given goal for anyone because Niemi actually did a good job to make himself look big.

I just had a problem with Carter being soft and pretty much one dimensional. If anything, he's in a much better position to succeed in L.A. where he can just play the role of pure shooter off the wing. I don't think he's solely a complimentary player, but I wouldn't consider him a sure fire first liner anymore.

Old
04-30-2013, 09:12 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Good!

I blame Gostisbehere.

Seriously, what are we talking about?

Would anyone, from the Carter lovers to the Carter haters, undue the deal if they had the choice? I doubt it. So can't we just agree to disagree about whether or not we should agreeing to whatever it is we are being disagreeable about?

Old
04-30-2013, 09:15 PM
flyershockey

Quote:
I do the trade every time too. Hell, I was pretty pleased with the value of the trade before Couturier was picked; it exceeded what I thought we'd get for him, and happy as a pig in poop when they got Coots. I was less than happy about the Richards trade though.
The Richards trade depends entirely on Schenn's development imo. I love Simmonds, but I would still take Richards ten times out of ten over him straight up. But, if Schenn turns into a 50-60 point second line center in the Richards mold, then the Flyers will have definitely come away as the winner. Next year, Schenn's third full season, should be more telling on how that one will turn out.

Old
04-30-2013, 09:23 PM
FlyersFan61290

anyone else watching the blues/kings game? the kings looks absolutely lost in their own zone. they are getting absolutely dominated. if the kings have any chance in hell of making it out of this series kopitar needs to be much better. he looks atrocious tonight. best forwards so far imo are williams, richards and carter imo. kinda funny considering they're all flyers

i didn't catch any of the first period btw but these are my impressions for far of the period + of hockey i've seen.

Old
04-30-2013, 09:26 PM
FlyersFan61290

lots of missed wide open nets for the blues and quick is standing on his head. game could easily be 4 or 5-0

Old
04-30-2013, 09:28 PM
TheLegendkiller

Totally want the Flyers to build a 4th line like the Blues. Its like 3 bigger Rinaldo's on one line.

Old
04-30-2013, 09:30 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
anyone else watching the blues/kings game? the kings looks absolutely lost in their own zone. they are getting absolutely dominated. if the kings have any chance in hell of making it out of this series kopitar needs to be much better. he looks atrocious tonight. best forwards so far imo are williams, richards and carter imo. kinda funny considering they're all flyers

i didn't catch any of the first period btw but these are my impressions for far of the period + of hockey i've seen.
I was all caught up in Carter-a-palooza.

Closed Thread