HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Doug Weight's Dirty

Closed Thread

Old
12-31-2003, 01:27 PM
topshelf331

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to topshelf331 Send a message via Yahoo to topshelf331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidrage
You're a homer apologist.

It was a dirty elbow. He shouldn't have done it. You can't find examples of Flyers doing the same thing to any Blues last night nor can you find an example of another Blue doing that to a Flyer.

A player on your team made a bonehead play. We've all been there just deal with it like a man already.
Im a homer, no doubt. But that elbow was nothing. If you watch the defensemen, there are plenty of elbows thrown and sticks to the head every night. Demitra has a wiplash injury from getting an open ice hit away from the puck. But you didnt see any blues fans on here whining about it. I think the Flyers fans who think hockey is too rough, need to deal with it like a man. Because i have no problem with what weight did. Just like i have no problem with pitkanens high crosschecks. But you obviously do. Weight was trying to get under the skin of the flyers, he didnt succeed, but he got under the skin of the flyers fans. So who has to deal with it, not me. Its a part of the game.

Old
12-31-2003, 01:38 PM
Liquidrage*

Quote:
Originally Posted by topshelf331
Im a homer, no doubt. But that elbow was nothing. If you watch the defensemen, there are plenty of elbows thrown and sticks to the head every night. Demitra has a wiplash injury from getting an open ice hit away from the puck. But you didnt see any blues fans on here whining about it. I think the Flyers fans who think hockey is too rough, need to deal with it like a man. Because i have no problem with what weight did. Just like i have no problem with pitkanens high crosschecks. But you obviously do. Weight was trying to get under the skin of the flyers, he didnt succeed, but he got under the skin of the flyers fans. So who has to deal with it, not me. Its a part of the game.
I have no problem with Pitkanen's high cross checks any more then I do with the guy from the Blue that crosschecked him in the back of the head when they chasing the puck and Pitkanen just beat him to it. I don't have any problem with the dozens of late runs they took at Pitkanen last night.

You're trying to pretend as if every penalty is the same. Anyone with any common sense realizes they aren't all the same.
Weight's hit was different from the cross checks or the occasional elbow slightly out. He went out of his way, and at full speed brought his elbow out far and wide to Gagne's head.

Dirty dirty dirty. No matter how you try to spin it. And I really doubt he did it to get under my skin. And if he tried to do it to get under the Flyer's skin, well, 7 - 2.

Again, Weight screwed up, made a dirty play, deal with it like man.

Old
12-31-2003, 01:40 PM
paxtang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand
The toughest guy Brash has ever fought was Belak. Nothing special. Brashear got his ass kicked by Shayne Corson once against the habs, and he hasn't been the same since. He was exposed, and from that point on he has only fought weak opponents, except once against Parker where he was once again handed his ass.
That is probably one of the worst post I have ever read. Learn something about hockey fights before you post about them. Brashear, while a spot picker and a TERRIBLE enforcer, is probably the best fighter in the league. He has fought A LOT of people better than Belak. In fact, I'm fairly sure that Brashear has never even fought Corson.

You konw what, I'm going to just assume you were being sarcastic, because there is no way you were serious.

Old
12-31-2003, 01:42 PM
paxtang

Quote:
I have no problem with the elbow, I had more of a problem with the Flyer's lack of retribution. But if you can't see the differnce between a cross check and a blantant flying elbow, than you are just a blind homer.

Old
12-31-2003, 02:49 PM
coolhandluke2410
"BleedBlue44"

Send a message via AIM to coolhandluke2410 Send a message via Yahoo to coolhandluke2410
I havn't been home in a week... missed everything that is called hockey in the pass week, and i dont' even want to see what happened.. so i won't comment, hell i could care less.... all that matters to me is that Blues got there ass handed to them 7-2, and Brent Johnson needs to be traded.

Old
12-31-2003, 03:51 PM
topshelf331

Quote:
Again, Weight screwed up, made a dirty play, deal with it like man.
Again, deal with what like a man? I have no problem with what happened. And obviously the whole flyers bench didnt either. It was just another elbowing penalty.

Old
12-31-2003, 03:52 PM
Spaceace

Wait a minute. PHILLY fans are upset at a supposedly "dirty" play?? Doesn't Roenick ALWAYS lay out Modano with a borderline dirty hit everytime the Cryers play Dallas??

Old
12-31-2003, 03:52 PM
topshelf331

Quote:
Originally Posted by paxtang
I have no problem with the elbow, I had more of a problem with the Flyer's lack of retribution. But if you can't see the differnce between a cross check and a blantant flying elbow, than you are just a blind homer.
Thats funny because a couple weeks ago tkachuks cross check was the worst thing that ever happened in hockey.

Old
12-31-2003, 03:55 PM
Steve L*

Quote:
Originally Posted by weight39
Wait a minute. PHILLY fans are upset at a supposedly "dirty" play?? Doesn't Roenick ALWAYS lay out Modano with a borderline dirty hit everytime the Cryers play Dallas??
They may be borderline and people will accept that, they wont accept attempts to injure, especially going after the head of a player who never does anything cheap at all.

Old
12-31-2003, 04:46 PM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonwyck
I'm sorry John, but there is just no way you could possible know if Weight intentionally threw the elbow. I still haven't seen a replay of the hit, but what I've been told by more than a few people was that Weight did try to drill Gagne but threw up the elbow when he realized he was going to miss.

I'm not saying that they're right and you're wrong. I'm saying that no one knows. Given the fact that (despite what a Canucks fan will tell you) Weight is far from Bryan Marchment and has very little history with Simon Gagne, I personally find it hard to believe that it was intentional.

Believe what you want, but your opinion is just that, your opinion and not a fact as you are trying to present it.

Watch the replay and there is no way that you won't think it wasn't intentional.

Gagne makes no sudden moves, Weight clearly went after his head with an elbow.

This wasn't a situation where was going to hit him and Gagne moved, and Weight just threw his elbow out so he wouldn't miss him.

I don't think it had anything to do with Gagne, it was just going to be any Flyers in particular, and it just happened to be Gagne.

Old
12-31-2003, 05:20 PM
Liquidrage*

Quote:
Again, deal with what like a man? I have no problem with what happened. And obviously the whole flyers bench didnt either. It was just another elbowing penalty.
Deal with the dirty it. It was an obvious dirty hit. Stop spinning it, stop making stupid comparisions to regular penalties, stop making up crap about the Flyers not caring. During the game the TSN announcers even stated they thought the league would look at the hit.

Instead of looking like a blind homer just admit that Weight screwed up and made a dirty hit. There was nothing borderline about it. There was nothing clean about it. There was nothing tough about it. It was a cheapshot. End of discussion. And not because I say so, but because it so obviously was to anyone that saw the play.

Old
12-31-2003, 07:49 PM
saa25

Quote:
Deal with the dirty it. It was an obvious dirty hit. Stop spinning it, stop making stupid comparisions to regular penalties, stop making up crap about the Flyers not caring. During the game the TSN announcers even stated they thought the league would look at the hit.

Instead of looking like a blind homer just admit that Weight screwed up and made a dirty hit. There was nothing borderline about it. There was nothing clean about it. There was nothing tough about it. It was a cheapshot. End of discussion. And not because I say so, but because it so obviously was to anyone that saw the play.
Agreed. He pulled the similar nonsense with Henrik (I think) Sedin a month or so ago so I don't think it's unprecedented, either...

Old
12-31-2003, 07:57 PM
MojoJojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand
The toughest guy Brash has ever fought was Belak. Nothing special. Brashear got his ass kicked by Shayne Corson once against the habs, and he hasn't been the same since. He was exposed, and from that point on he has only fought weak opponents, except once against Parker where he was once again handed his ass.
Boy, I wonder if all 9,000 of your other posts are as well thought out and un-homerish as this one.

Old
12-31-2003, 09:01 PM
thedjpd

Quote:
Like 2 nights ago? I seem to recall everybody leaving that game just fine. Don't use words like "always," as they will "always" weaken your argument. (See?)

Regardless, twice there have been questionable hits. But they've been just that: questionable. People debated both ways, and not just Flyers fans vs Dallas fans, people from every team were split (at least, not unanimous).

There is no argument in this case. It seems as if everybody (except a few) agrees the hit was dirty. What does that tell you?

Apparently not what it should.

And in either case, Roenick's hits have absolutely nothing to do with this incident. It bears no relevance, and it's point is moot.

Old
12-31-2003, 09:07 PM
easton122

Send a message via AIM to easton122 Send a message via MSN to easton122
Quote:
Roenick is not that dirty of a player. If you care to learn about a player before you make an ignortant remark like that then you could be taken seriously. I rarely see Roenick go out of his way to elbow someone or do something with an intent to injure. He gets boarding penalties every once in a while but they don't warrant 5 game suspensions. So because Weight made his second ridiculously dirty play of the season you turn this around on a Flyers player?

By the way where the hell are you getting the stereotype that the Flyers are whiners?

I think this was the 2nd dumbest post I read in this thread.

Old
01-01-2004, 12:14 AM
Ironchef Chris Wok*

Send a message via ICQ to Ironchef Chris Wok*
My take on this:

If Donald Brashear wants to prove that he's still "the heavyweight champion" worth his salary...

You fight anybody and everybody that challenges you, old or new. Maybe you don't have to go around picking fights, but if some new hotshot kid comes after your "title", you let him know who's boss around here, and not turtle so you can "draw a powerplay". This goes out to the other "heavyweights" as well (Worrell). I never hear guys like Scott Walker turtling, so why should somebody twice as large as Brashear pick his fights?

Oh, and to the up-and-coming enforcers, go ahead an challenge the champions. It's the only way to get recognition in the league and stick in the league, if you beat a Heavyweight.

There's a difference between an "enforcer" and a "goon". Show people you belong in the league by working hard and fighting tough guys, not crosschecking the other team's star player in the mouth or picking on a 5'7 skill player.

Winning a fight can be just as beneficial if not more than a PP. It sparks the team, gets the fans out of the seats, etc.

(I sound like Don Cherry. "Listen up you kids out there..." The man can be a dope sometimes, but he does have his moments.)

Old
01-01-2004, 12:18 AM
Ironchef Chris Wok*

Send a message via ICQ to Ironchef Chris Wok*
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehc73
The Blues have had a discipline problem though this year. Colin Campbell has seen their tapes a wee bit too much. Score got away from them and the rest of the penalties were likely just out of frustration. After that first period and only being up 1-0, they probably felt they should've been up a lot more. But with 5 PP goals against, they need to go back to the drawing board on the PK. Can't blame it all on the goaltender, most were no chance for him and it was the third stringer. Bad game for Osgood to be on the injured shelf, that's for sure.
This is OT.. but...
The Blues have had discipline problems for A LONG TIME now. I remember in one playoff game in 95 (it was the lockout year, Nucks vs. Blues, the series where Linden broke the glass checking Norton)... The Nucks were winning, so the Blues start their thing. They took 12 penalties that PLAYOFF game.

Strictly OT, there's probalby NOBODY left on that team that's on the blues now (I think Baron was on that team, not sure, but he's been around elsewhere and returned.)

Old
01-01-2004, 12:18 AM
c-carp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironchef Chris Wok
My take on this:

If Donald Brashear wants to prove that he's still "the heavyweight champion" worth his salary...

You fight anybody and everybody that challenges you, old or new. Maybe you don't have to go around picking fights, but if some new hotshot kid comes after your "title", you let him know who's boss around here, and not turtle so you can "draw a powerplay". This goes out to the other "heavyweights" as well (Worrell). I never hear guys like Scott Walker turtling, so why should somebody twice as large as Brashear pick his fights?

Oh, and to the up-and-coming enforcers, go ahead an challenge the champions. It's the only way to get recognition in the league and stick in the league, if you beat a Heavyweight.

There's a difference between an "enforcer" and a "goon". Show people you belong in the league by working hard and fighting tough guys, not crosschecking the other team's star player in the mouth or picking on a 5'7 skill player.

Winning a fight can be just as beneficial if not more than a PP. It sparks the team, gets the fans out of the seats, etc.

(I sound like Don Cherry. "Listen up you kids out there..." The man can be a dope sometimes, but he does have his moments.)
Excellant post man. You made a ton of great points, Another poster that grasps the concept. They are few and far between in this thread. By the way there is nothing wrong with sounding like Grapes

Old
01-01-2004, 03:17 AM
blah

How about we just end the Brashear discussion and say he's a checking forward who can fight. Fedoruk is the Flyers goon.

Old
01-01-2004, 03:48 AM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blah
How about we just end the Brashear discussion and say he's a checking forward who can fight. Fedoruk is the Flyers goon.
Best description I head of DB yet. I don't understand why he does the things he does, but I at least understand his mentality now

Old
01-01-2004, 07:21 AM
easton122

Quote:
Originally Posted by blah
I agree about the Brashear remark but Fedoruk is far from a goon. I consider a goon someone like Tucker who goes around and tries to take out someone's knees. Fedoruk isn't a cheap shot artist just an enforcer.

Old
01-01-2004, 07:25 AM
dragonwyck

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironchef Chris Wok
This is OT.. but...
The Blues have had discipline problems for A LONG TIME now. I remember in one playoff game in 95 (it was the lockout year, Nucks vs. Blues, the series where Linden broke the glass checking Norton)... The Nucks were winning, so the Blues start their thing. They took 12 penalties that PLAYOFF game.

Strictly OT, there's probalby NOBODY left on that team that's on the blues now (I think Baron was on that team, not sure, but he's been around elsewhere and returned.)
The Blues started 'their thing'? Is that to insinuate that no other team in the league gets a little pissed off when their losing by 4 or 5 goals?

As you pointed out, the teams are entirely different. Only two players from 1995 are on the current Blues roster. One may never play again and the other just returned this year, Baron. The coaches are all different. The management is different. And the owners are different. The only thing that remains the same is the building they play in.

If discipline has always been a Blues problem then annually they'd be at or near the top of the league in penalties which isn't the case. Like every other team in the league, they have games where they tend to take too many penalties. The only difference is that it usually happens against the Canucks and the Wings and this play has way too many of their fans that whine about the Blues consistantly.

Old
01-01-2004, 07:38 AM
#44_delivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeofWindsor
Wow, you are not very bright are you? Either that or your definition of a goon is way off.

Darcy has 14 goals in 38 games this season, and only 52 pim. Hardy sounds like a goon to me.
so he's a goal scoring goon whats your point???
the fact that he scroed 14 goals doesnt take that fact away, ive seen plenty times where he shows no respect for other players, i cringe when i see him play i keep seeing what hes done before over and over, he plays like a spank monkey whos only fix is the knees.

Old
01-01-2004, 07:47 AM
easton122

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeofWindsor
Wow, you are not very bright are you? Either that or your definition of a goon is way off.

Darcy has 14 goals in 38 games this season, and only 52 pim. Hardy sounds like a goon to me.
So I guess goons don't score? He is the trademark goon of the league.

Old
01-01-2004, 07:50 AM
Sotnos

This is 1-way off topic 2-nothing but personal arguments

Done

Last edited by Sotnos: 01-01-2004 at 04:09 PM.
Closed Thread