HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Captaincy/Callup Question

Closed Thread

Old
12-31-2003, 09:29 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Captaincy/Callup Question

With Smith out up to 2 weeks, will the Oilers use a temporary captain or will they go with assisants. If they use a temporary captain, who'll be the captain until Gator returns to the lineup. Any word of who'll be called up from the Roadrunners to replace Smith since Cross is injured with back spasms related to a hip injury.

12-31-2003, 09:36 PM
Allan

Last year when Smith sat, they had Marchant wear the C, so I would assume they would use one of the alternates, and probably make Staios an alternate to replace Smyth or probably Moreau, who would become Captain for the time being.

Old
12-31-2003, 09:45 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan
Last year when Smith sat, they had Marchant wear the C, so I would assume they would use one of the alternates, and probably make Staios an alternate to replace Smyth or probably Moreau, who would become Captain for the time being.
I remember that normally Ryan Smyth replaced Jason Smith when he was injured. However, both Ryan Smyth and Jason Smith were injured and isn't that why Marchant received the 'C'. Any word of any callups with Cross injured as well. I would assumed someone will be called up.

Old
12-31-2003, 09:53 PM
Allan

I know Smyth was out too, I just wanted to use a specific example, instead of being general, which can create disputes. Actually, I believe that in that game, the captain and both alternates sat out.

Anyway, with Bobby Allen injured, he is no longer the obvious emergency callup. MacTavish said yesterday that they were debating who to call up, which means it might not be Bergeron either. My money is on Lynch or Woywitka, since they both deserve a look, and playing Woywitka will quiet the people complaining about the Comrie trade, and how we got nothing for him. Ulanov may be another option, as he has apparently been very good in Toronto, but he doesn't even have an NHL contract at the moment, if I'm not mistaken.

Old
12-31-2003, 10:19 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan
I know Smyth was out too, I just wanted to use a specific example, instead of being general, which can create disputes. Actually, I believe that in that game, the captain and both alternates sat out.

Anyway, with Bobby Allen injured, he is no longer the obvious emergency callup. MacTavish said yesterday that they were debating who to call up, which means it might not be Bergeron either. My money is on Lynch or Woywitka, since they both deserve a look, and playing Woywitka will quiet the people complaining about the Comrie trade, and how we got nothing for him. Ulanov may be another option, as he has apparently been very good in Toronto, but he doesn't even have an NHL contract at the moment, if I'm not mistaken.
Ulanov is on a 25-game tryout with the RR and is under contract with the RR. They might be talking with Geoff Ward on how the defense are playing as well, wouldn't they.

Old
12-31-2003, 10:51 PM
Allan

I was including Ward in "they". It turns out Ulanov has only played 7 games (I thought he'd played more), and it may be too early in the tryout for them to offer him a contract. Either way, my money is still on Woywitka.

Old
01-01-2004, 12:20 AM
mbam99

Send a message via MSN to mbam99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky83
Ulanov is on a 25-game tryout with the RR and is under contract with the RR. They might be talking with Geoff Ward on how the defense are playing as well, wouldn't they.

Maybe thats the delay in calling someone up...maybe they are trying to work out a contract with Ulanov....maybe, just maybe....

Old
01-01-2004, 08:51 AM
TkachevYak2Slepy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbam99
Maybe thats the delay in calling someone up...maybe they are trying to work out a contract with Ulanov....maybe, just maybe....
Ulanov played a very good game against the bulldogs, very good physcial hits and blocking shots; I wouldn't be surprised to see a short term contract in the works.

Closed Thread