HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Free Agent Frenzy
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Free Agent Frenzy Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Blues Sign Radek Dvorak

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-14-2006, 06:50 PM
  #26
Spawn
Registered User
 
Spawn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 26,875
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion of the North View Post
The St. Louis Blues have signed free agent right winger Radek Dvorak.

"Radek has played in two Stanley Cup Finals and was the Oilers' best player in last year's game seven," said Blues President John Davidson. "He brings good speed to our line-up and will be a great asset to our penalty kill."

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=177473&hubname=nhl

hahaha Best player in game seven lmao! Pretty sure he actually played in one stanely cup finals, was benched with florida, could be wrong though

Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2006, 07:38 PM
  #27
sabresrat
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Destiny
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 2,745
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
hahaha Best player in game seven lmao! Pretty sure he actually played in one stanely cup finals, was benched with florida, could be wrong though
JD also though a slow 5th d-man was worth 4 million a year, so...

sabresrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2006, 07:42 PM
  #28
Irish Blues
____________________
 
Irish Blues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Country: St Helena
Posts: 21,804
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabresrat View Post
JD also though a slow 5th d-man was worth 4 million a year, so...
Several other teams thought he was worth more than the $2 million the Sabres were offering him, so ...

__________________
No promises this time.
Irish Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2006, 07:44 PM
  #29
Irish Blues
____________________
 
Irish Blues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Country: St Helena
Posts: 21,804
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
Pretty sure he actually played in one stanely cup finals, was benched with florida, could be wrong though
http://www.forecaster.ca/hockeynews/...layer.cgi?1389

He played 16 games that postseason, Florida played 22. So unless he played 16 of the 18 games before the Finals against Colorado and then was scratched the entire last series, ... yes, I'd say he's very likely played in the Finals twice.

Irish Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2006, 08:04 PM
  #30
StLooFrenchy
Registered User
 
StLooFrenchy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Southern Illinois
Country: France
Posts: 1,626
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
hahaha Best player in game seven lmao! Pretty sure he actually played in one stanely cup finals, was benched with florida, could be wrong though
Maybe if 'Tavish would have played him in more key situations, you would have the Cup.....LMAO.....

StLooFrenchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2006, 08:07 PM
  #31
Guy Legend
Registered User
 
Guy Legend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: St. Louis
Country: United States
Posts: 2,526
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StLooFrenchy View Post
Maybe if 'Tavish would have played him in more key situations, you would have the Cup.....LMAO.....

Guy Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2006, 08:10 PM
  #32
Fleury14
Remember the Kipper
 
Fleury14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 4,732
vCash: 500
Dvorak > Orzagh

Fleury14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2006, 08:19 PM
  #33
The Kingslayer
Registered User
 
The Kingslayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Yuck horse piss!
Country: Cambodia
Posts: 26,150
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Blues View Post
Several other teams thought he was worth more than the $2 million the Sabres were offering him, so ...
PWNED!#!#$%

The Kingslayer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2006, 08:56 PM
  #34
CanadianCommie
Cold North Comrade
 
CanadianCommie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Sherwood Park, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,568
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
hahaha Best player in game seven lmao! Pretty sure he actually played in one stanely cup finals, was benched with florida, could be wrong though
hehe, I think Strickland is doing a terrible job hyping the Dvo signing. I like Dvo, but I wouldn't have even flirted with the thought that he was the best player in game 7...

CanadianCommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2006, 09:13 PM
  #35
Parch
Registered User
 
Parch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 434
vCash: 500
I don't think there was ever any consideration to bring back Dvorak to Edmonton. If St. Louis thinks Dvorak is worth $1M, good luck with that.

Parch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2006, 09:57 PM
  #36
rocketpop
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 293
vCash: 500
He most likely won't be playing with KT and Cajanek--that role will likely be filled by Lee Stempniak who played less games, was a rookie, and scored more goals than either Orzsagh or Dvorak.

Dvorak will probably play line 3 with McClemment and any one of Mayers, Kahnberg, Drake. Sadly, I think Davidson and Co. screwed the pooch on keeping Kahnberg over here seems how there is now no room for him on the team.

rocketpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2006, 07:48 AM
  #37
sabresrat
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Destiny
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 2,745
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Blues View Post
Several other teams thought he was worth more than the $2 million the Sabres were offering him, so ...
Yep, most people had him at no more than 3, around the price paid Skrastins.

What makes McKee better than Skrastins? What other teams even came close to offering McKee the 4 million per?

The answers of course are nothing and nobody.

sabresrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2006, 08:34 AM
  #38
Bryzga lol*
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,812
vCash: 500
Man, St Louis is looking half decent now. If everything pans out, a low playoff spot isn't out of the question.

Bryzga lol* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2006, 09:07 AM
  #39
Irish Blues
____________________
 
Irish Blues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Country: St Helena
Posts: 21,804
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabresrat View Post
Yep, most people had him at no more than 3, around the price paid Skrastins.

What makes McKee better than Skrastins? What other teams even came close to offering McKee the 4 million per?

The answers of course are nothing and nobody.
McKee is 29, Skrastins is 32. McKee has played 9 NHL seasons, Skrastins has played 6.

McKee's career best offensive output is 5-12-17 in 1999-2000; he was 5-11-16 in 75 games last season. As a "#5 defenseman" as you claimed, averaging 18:03 in ice time per game - #4 among Sabres blueliners, while blocking 241 shots to lead the league.

Skrastins's career best offensive output is 4-13-17, in 2001-2002; he was 3-11-14 in 82 games last season for Colorado. He averaged 21:49 in ice time per game last season, 3rd for the Avalanche, and blocked 207 shots to finish 2nd behind McKee.

So ... their career best in offense is the same, but McKee is 3 years younger, put up more points and blocked more shots in less ice time and fewer games played last year than Skrastins.

If you want to hype Skrastins, you can take advantage of the fact that he hasn't missed a game in the last 5 seasons. Aside from that, I think it's pretty clear what makes McKee better than Skrastins.

Irish Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2006, 09:17 AM
  #40
kimzey59
Registered User
 
kimzey59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 3,759
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketpop View Post
He most likely won't be playing with KT and Cajanek--that role will likely be filled by Lee Stempniak who played less games, was a rookie, and scored more goals than either Orzsagh or Dvorak.
1) Orszagh didn't even play 20 games last year and had 4 goals. He was on a better pace than Stemp was, he just couldn't stay healthy. On top of that, Orszagh showed MUCH better chemistry with Tkachuk than Stempniak did. Stemp was overwhelmed on teh top line and it showed.

2) Stempniak may very well beat Dvorak out of a spot, but JD has given every indication that Stemp will start out on the 3rd line. That means that Dvorak will be given every opportunity to secure that top line spot with Tkachuk.

kimzey59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2006, 09:25 AM
  #41
Irish Blues
____________________
 
Irish Blues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Country: St Helena
Posts: 21,804
vCash: 500
If Dvorak can use his speed to help set up opportunities for his linemates, his numbers should jump. He should be a boost on the PK at worst, and remember - it's for $1 million. It's not like we've signed him to be the 13th forward and he'll be sitting in the press box for 60 games this year. If he can make the PK unit stronger and give us a SH threat that keeps the opposition on their toes, getting 15-20-35 out of him would be worth the cost.

Irish Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2006, 11:00 AM
  #42
sabresrat
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Destiny
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 2,745
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Blues View Post
McKee is 29, Skrastins is 32. McKee has played 9 NHL seasons, Skrastins has played 6.

McKee's career best offensive output is 5-12-17 in 1999-2000; he was 5-11-16 in 75 games last season. As a "#5 defenseman" as you claimed, averaging 18:03 in ice time per game - #4 among Sabres blueliners, while blocking 241 shots to lead the league.

Skrastins's career best offensive output is 4-13-17, in 2001-2002; he was 3-11-14 in 82 games last season for Colorado. He averaged 21:49 in ice time per game last season, 3rd for the Avalanche, and blocked 207 shots to finish 2nd behind McKee.

So ... their career best in offense is the same, but McKee is 3 years younger, put up more points and blocked more shots in less ice time and fewer games played last year than Skrastins.

If you want to hype Skrastins, you can take advantage of the fact that he hasn't missed a game in the last 5 seasons. Aside from that, I think it's pretty clear what makes McKee better than Skrastins.
Good analysis, but I think that a points/blocks per dollar is a better lens than points/blocks per second. In that Skrastins pulls away significantly. And like you mentioned McKee has had some injury issues, last year was the first regular season where he was not hurt for a significant time period.

The Blues overpaid for a name, but that isn't necessarily bad on its own. I just don't think it bodes well for the future of the franchise when cheaper/equal or better options were out there.

sabresrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2006, 11:18 AM
  #43
Irish Blues
____________________
 
Irish Blues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Country: St Helena
Posts: 21,804
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabresrat View Post
Good analysis, but I think that a points/blocks per dollar is a better lens than points/blocks per second. In that Skrastins pulls away significantly.
Well gosh, let's compare the ratio of "Shots + PIM" to "GAA/60min in road victories where the home team had a 'P', 'R', 'V' and 'Y' either in the city name or the nickname" and see who comes out on top.

The rest of this discussion is off-topic to the original intent of the thread (Dvorak), I'll leave it for another time when it's more appropriately discussed.

Irish Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2006, 11:40 AM
  #44
dawgbone
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,104
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Great signing by the Blues.

Dvorak is a very effective player at ES and on the PK. Just keep him off the PP, for some reason he just can't put up points there.

I have a feeling you'll see Dvorak and Tkachuk paired together quite a bit, and they are going to give opposing players a fit at 5 on 5 (providing Tkachuk is ready to start the season this year).

__________________
TheSpecialist - MacT thinks he was that good of a hockey player when in actuality he was no better then a Louie Debrusk.
dawgbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2006, 01:00 PM
  #45
DaBo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Du Bois, Illinois
Country: United States
Posts: 639
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone View Post
Great signing by the Blues.

Dvorak is a very effective player at ES and on the PK. Just keep him off the PP, for some reason he just can't put up points there.

I have a feeling you'll see Dvorak and Tkachuk paired together quite a bit, and they are going to give opposing players a fit at 5 on 5 (providing Tkachuk is ready to start the season this year).
per Andy Strickland of the Post Dispatch, he weighed in at 229 lbs, with 10% body fat. Sounds like he's in better shape to start this year than last.

Linky

DaBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2006, 01:51 PM
  #46
TheRedressor
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Country: United Nations
Posts: 3,795
vCash: 500
with confidence Radek D could return to his 30 goal form with the Rangers. To me he has never been the same since that dirty hit by Gord Murphy in 2002.

TheRedressor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2006, 01:55 PM
  #47
dawgbone
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,104
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChief View Post
with confidence Radek D could return to his 30 goal form with the Rangers. To me he has never been the same since that dirty hit by Gord Murphy in 2002.
I doubt that.

That being said, he should be a lot closer to the 50 point mark he was for 03-04 than the 30 points he got last year.

dawgbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2006, 03:49 PM
  #48
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse
 
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 12,382
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChief View Post
with confidence Radek D could return to his 30 goal form with the Rangers. To me he has never been the same since that dirty hit by Gord Murphy in 2002.
Gord must have come off Columbus' bench. He's been the Blue Jackets defensive "coach" since the team's inception in 2000.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2006, 04:38 PM
  #49
21Gator*
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,123
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KallioWeHardlyKnewYe View Post
Gord must have come off Columbus' bench. He's been the Blue Jackets defensive "coach" since the team's inception in 2000.
Good signing. Radek uses his speed well. and should complinment you lineup at a decent price.

21Gator* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2006, 04:58 PM
  #50
Heavy Fuel
 
Heavy Fuel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Canuckistan
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,614
vCash: 500
Despite his hands turning to stone last year, Dvorak was a player who never hurt his team when he was out there. He is defensively responsible, his skating is very good, and he can carry the puck up ice to help set up in the offensive zone. Last year he played on a line with Stoll & Torres at the start of the year and those two guys put up some great numbers until Radek got injured. While Dvorak wasn't picking up as many points, his puck moving abilities seemed to help the other two guy's games a lot by spreading out the defense. Torres & Stoll's production tailed off without him. He can play with the skill guys and cover their *** in the defensive zone, or he can be counted on in a checking role.

There were games last year when it seemed he was the best forward on either team, and that impression came from the chances he generated with his speed, and the ones he stopped with his back checking. For a million or less, he is a bargain. The only reason that he wasn't pursued in Edmonton is that we have a surplus of good forwards right now.

Heavy Fuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:00 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.