HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Sabres Prospect Index 2012-2013 Part II

Closed Thread

Old
04-27-2013, 10:02 PM
ottsabrefan

vCash: 500
Don't think it has been mentioned but Alex Lepkowski has been one of the top Barrie Dmen in leading the Colts to the 3rd round. They are going to a game 7 against Belleville and could play the Knights in the finals. From the games I have seen, he has been just mean.

I don't see any reason for the Sabres not to give him at least a shot. I guess we'll see soon enough.

Old
04-27-2013, 10:26 PM
Jacob582

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottsabrefan View Post
Don't think it has been mentioned but Alex Lepkowski has been one of the top Barrie Dmen in leading the Colts to the 3rd round. They are going to a game 7 against Belleville and could play the Knights in the finals. From the games I have seen, he has been just mean.

I don't see any reason for the Sabres not to give him at least a shot. I guess we'll see soon enough.
I think the Sabres will keep one or both of Lepkowski and Austin. Lack depth on D in the big/mean/stayathome category.

Old
04-27-2013, 10:30 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottsabrefan View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob582 View Post
I think the Sabres will keep one or both of Lepkowski and Austin. Lack depth on D in the big/mean/stayathome category.
Mentioned before, they might keep both by giving them the Fienhage -- minor-league level deal so they aren't burning up another contract slot like they did with guys like Lagace (gone soon, yay!). One might get a real pro deal, but they both have elements this team could use in their prospect d-man pipeline: toughness.

04-27-2013, 10:30 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Does Logan Nelson come to Rochester next year, or play his overage year in Victoria? Haven't really heard much about his progress this year.

Old
04-27-2013, 10:39 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrigsAndGirgs View Post
Does Logan Nelson come to Rochester next year, or play his overage year in Victoria? Haven't really heard much about his progress this year.
Possible log-jam at center (or at least at forward) with Schaller, Catenacci, Larsson, Girgensons, and Sundher all already inked. Hell, throw Varone into the Amerk center mix, and it looks like we could see Nelson go back as an over-ager.

Old
04-29-2013, 08:28 PM
Jacob582

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 7m
BAR beats BEL 3-1 in G7 of OHL East final. Dale Hawerchuk's Colts vs. Dale Hunter's London Knights for OHL title/Memorial Cup berth.

BAR: Lepkowski, 2011 (5th Rnd, 137th)
BEL: Austin, 2012 (7th Rnd, 193rd)

Last edited by Jacob582: 04-30-2013 at 05:04 PM.
Old
04-30-2013, 03:28 PM
joshjull

Can Ruhwedel be sent to Rochester next year without having to pass through waivers?

Old
04-30-2013, 05:03 PM
Jacob582

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
Can Ruhwedel be sent to Rochester next year without having to pass through waivers?
I believe so.

Old
04-30-2013, 06:49 PM
OcAirlines

Quote:
I'm almost a 100% sure he can. I think the main reason that he wasn't sent down to Rochester already this season was that we had to promise him an NHL-spot for the rest of the season if we wanted to have a chance to sign him.

Old
04-30-2013, 07:20 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Quote:
Originally Posted by OcAirlines View Post
I'm almost a 100% sure he can. I think the main reason that he wasn't sent down to Rochester already this season was that we had to promise him an NHL-spot for the rest of the season if we wanted to have a chance to sign him.
And I thought he can't so he went back to college to finish classes

Old
04-30-2013, 07:43 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Yep.

He could have in theory been signed to a ELC beginning next year, and played in Rochester under a ATO this season (and thus AHL playoff eligible), but likely being able to burn a year off the ELC and play in the NHL right away were crucial in getting him to pick the Sabres over other suitors. As a result, he was not playoff eligible in the AHL, so there was no reason to send him down to Rochester at that point. But he has not met the GP requirement, so he is indeed waiver exempt.

Old
04-30-2013, 07:56 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZamboni View Post
And I thought he can't so he went back to college to finish classes
He couldn't go down this year because he wasn't on the Amerks roster on deadline day. Just like Hodgson and Foligno for example. At least that's my understanding

Last edited by joshjull: 04-30-2013 at 10:49 PM.
Old
04-30-2013, 10:42 PM
Rhett4
KALETA REBORN

Quote:
He couldn't go down this year because he wasn't on the Amrerks roster on deadline day. Just like Hodgson and Foligno for example. At least that's my understanding
You're right. He needed to be on the roster on that Wednesday, and I don't even think he'd even been signed at that point. And even if he had been signed, the Sabres would have had to make a paper transaction to send him down and bring him up again. Since they used three of their four recalls to put Adam, Flynn, and Psysk on the roster, there's no way Ruhwedel was likely to ever play in Roc for the playoffs.

Old
04-30-2013, 11:21 PM
jfb392

Quote:
Yes, he'll have two years or 63 games left on his waiver exemption.

Quote:
I had seen this, but I don't see how his agent could possibly have any leverage.
He wasn't highly sought-after or anything.
It's too bad the new CBA didn't do away with that garbage like initially reported.

Anyways, the real reason he couldn't go to Rochester was because players could only be assigned to the AHL if they had been recalled after the trade deadline.

Old
04-30-2013, 11:23 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
Yes, he'll have two years or 63 games left on his waiver exemption.

I had seen this, but I don't see how his agent could possibly have any leverage.
It's too bad the new CBA didn't do away with that garbage like initially reported.

Anyways, the real reason he couldn't go to Rochester was because players could only be assigned to the AHL if they had been recalled after the trade deadline.
He could still have gone to Rochester if he signed an ATO and had his ELC kick in next year though.

Old
04-30-2013, 11:29 PM
jfb392

Quote:
He could still have gone to Rochester if he signed an ATO and had his ELC kick in next year though.
Yes, but he couldn't have played in the NHL if that was the case.

Old
04-30-2013, 11:38 PM
drinking bleach irl
p trendy tbh

vCash: 300
who says amateurs can't be professionals anyway

Old
05-01-2013, 12:00 AM
couture23
Sabres & Red Sox

Any updates on Armia? Still in Finland at the WC camp?

Old
05-01-2013, 12:36 AM
dotcommunism

Quote:
Well, the leverage is that he could've gone back to school for another year, wasnt it?

Old
05-01-2013, 05:49 AM
Jacob582

Quote:
True.
Brian Flynn played 5 games for the Amerks after college last season.

Old
05-01-2013, 05:52 AM
Jacob582

Quote:

His agent had leverage. Ruhwedel was an UFA.

Hamilton stated on WGR that a bunch of teams were interested in signing him.

Old
05-01-2013, 06:15 AM
Qurpiz
Unregistered Abuser

vCash: 735
Quote:
Originally Posted by couture23 View Post
Any updates on Armia? Still in Finland at the WC camp?
He's not on the WC squad.

Ässät are leaving to Spain later this week for their after-season vacation, don't know if Armia's going or not going

Old
05-01-2013, 09:19 AM
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Well, he must have had the leverage because I'm 99% sure Darcy himself flat out said that it was part of their agreement (that he'd play out the season in Buffalo). Seeing as how teams can't really outbid each other much on ELCs for UDFAs, it makes sense that if even 2 or 3 teams were interested, such a promise would easily make a difference. It's not like it was much of a sacrifice for the Sabres, considering they needed a defenseman anyhow, so it was more or less a win/win.

Old
05-01-2013, 01:08 PM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotcommunism View Post
Well, the leverage is that he could've gone back to school for another year, wasnt it?
Sure, but that doesn't mean it has much weight.
I'm sure they wouldn't have lost any sleep over it if Myers hadn't been injured and they couldn't offer Ruhwedel a spot.
I can't see the agent demanding NHL time, but rather the Sabres offering it and his side opting to take their offer because of it.

I think they ended up signing him mostly because they needed a body and didn't want to call anyone else up from Rochester.
They already had two of their three legitimate options up with the team (Pardy and Pysyk) and the other (McNabb) was injured.
The Amerks were in the midst of securing a playoff spot and no other defensemen separated themselves from the pack, so they made the best of the situation.

Usually these guys end up getting burned if they opt to return to school after having a breakout year as teams end up losing interest when they inevitably don't build on that year, so if I was a GM, it wouldn't be a legitimate threat.
Martin St. Louis apparently had lots of NHL interest as a junior but opted to return to UVM as a senior, had a bit of a down year, and then only managed a tryout from Ottawa (which he was released from).
Zengerle from Wisconsin is another example.

Old
05-01-2013, 09:25 PM
Layne Staley
The Future

Looking at our HF prospects page I think it's ridiculous that Matt Hacket, Jake McCabe and Brayden McNabb are all the same grade as Mikhail Grigorenko. I vehemently disagree with a 7.5 C for Grigs, especially when certain teams get such overrated ratings (cough MONTREAL AND Pens EVERY SINGLE YEAR)Montreals especially are a joke.Nathan beaulieu a 8?! Danny Kristo and Jared Tinordi the same grade as Grigs

Last edited by Layne Staley: 05-01-2013 at 09:31 PM.
Closed Thread