HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Draft (draft day chat link in Post 887)

Old
04-30-2013, 10:50 AM
TeamTippett
Formally TeamTurris

vCash: 500
Donny will take Domi, its the obvious pedigree pick.

TeamTippett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 11:31 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamTippett View Post
Donny will take Domi, its the obvious pedigree pick.
Other than Samuelsson (who was BPA and a WHL kid) I feel like the legacy picks were more of a Keith Gretzky thing. If we take Domi, it'll be a solid pick, though. Great prospect.

04-30-2013, 12:28 PM
lanky

When Don talks about the team lacking top end skill, it is the stuff that Domi has that he's referring to. Lazar is more of a Tippett player but Domi could be our next true top line scorer.

lanky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 05:56 PM
BeSeeingYouSeattle

To think we could have so easily picked 8th, bleh.

BeSeeingYouSeattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 06:15 PM
hbk
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Other than Samuelsson (who was BPA and a WHL kid) I feel like the legacy picks were more of a Keith Gretzky thing. If we take Domi, it'll be a solid pick, though. Great prospect.
I think we'll be looking for a Center and although Domi's physical size is small much like his dad he plays a much larger game. I have him ahead of Lazar; although I had a mixed viewing as hLazar looked like a Top 6 player in one viewing and a 4th line energy player the other.

hbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 07:57 PM
ctwin22
Go Desert Dogs

There are multiple mock's where Lindholm actually falls to us at 12. Now, I can't believe we would have that type of luck...but one can dream.

I think it could happen as long as the first 6 picks go something like this:
Avs - Jones
Fla - MacKinnon
TB - Drouin
Nash - Barkov
Carolina - Monahan/Shinkaruk
Calgary - Shinkaruk/Monahan

at that point, the Oilers won't have their up the middle big center so they will pass on Lindholm and select Nurse.

then the following happens

Edm - Nurse
Buff - Fucale
NJ - Nichushkin
Dal - Ristolainen
Phi - Poluck
Phx - Lindholm

I think it all depends on whether Monahan falls to the oilers and whether Lindholm is passed over by Carolina. Also it would help if Buffalo takes Miller's replacement in Fucale.

ctwin22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 08:03 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk View Post
I think we'll be looking for a Center and although Domi's physical size is small much like his dad he plays a much larger game. I have him ahead of Lazar; although I had a mixed viewing as hLazar looked like a Top 6 player in one viewing and a 4th line energy player the other.
Domi and Lazar are probably the two guys I've seen the most of. I'd be quite happy to add either to the organization.

I'd guess both are on a short list, too.

1) Colorado - Seth Jones
2) Florida - Nathan MacKinnon
3) Tampa Bay - Jonathan Drouin
4) Nashville - Aleksander Barkov
5) Carolina - Sean Monahan
6) Calgary - Elias Lindholm
7) Edmonton - Darnell Nurse
8) Buffalo - Valeri Nichushkin
9) New Jersey - Hunter Shinkaruk
10) Dallas - Rasmus Ristolainen
11) Philly - Ryan Pulock/Zadorov
12) Phoenix - Curtis Lazar/Max Domi/Alex Wennberg

Last edited by rt: 04-30-2013 at 08:08 PM.
rt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 08:22 PM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
Most of us were asking for this team to tank around the half way point of the season and yet that didn't happen.
I highly highly doubt that but if true then most of you are silly. I have a hard time respecting fans that would call for tanking half way through a season.

Last edited by Naurutger: 04-30-2013 at 08:43 PM.
Sinurgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 08:28 PM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPreferPi View Post
After losing in Detroit and being officially eliminated, the 5 points we gained after cost us 4 spots. Big difference between 8th and 12th.
There was still a chance but I agree it was minor. In hindsight they could've had 8th overall but not like they knew ahead of time they'd end up 8th if they lost. I understand your point though, I just don't like the idea of being ok with losing. It took the team almost 10 years to get out of that mindset, I don't want them going back. Also it may be worth noting the last time the Coyotes didn't tank they ended up with OEL!

Old
04-30-2013, 08:40 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

"Tanking" is a complete fallacy. It's an urban myth. What could this team done to lose more games? The players obviously aren't going to go any less than 100%. It's their jobs on the line. Same goes for the coaches. Can you honestly see Maloney going to Tippett and instructing him on personnel decisions? Like "hey Tip, howsabout resting up Doaner for next season and giving Biznasty a few extra looks?" I mean come on. The mutual respect would have to be utterly destroyed for something like that to happen. It's the kind of absurdity that only happens in the minds of fans. Now of course Don could've traded more guys. That's like tanking. He wanted to keep key pieces for next year.

Old
04-30-2013, 08:51 PM
IPreferPi
A Nonny Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinurgy View Post
There was still a chance but I agree it was minor. In hindsight they could've had 8th overall but not like they knew ahead of time they'd end up 8th if they lost. I understand your point though, I just don't like the idea of being ok with losing. It took the team almost 10 years to get out of that mindset, I don't want them going back. Also it may be worth noting the last time the Coyotes didn't tank they ended up with OEL!
No, I understand your point too. And I totally get the desire to play to win every night, even if it's just for pride's sake. I certainly don't want the Yotes to become like Edmonton recently, whom for all their high octane offensive talent still phone it in and collapse. It's just frustrating to see the Yotes get the short-end of the stick time and again with getting the franchise center they need, that they can market and build around. Which is also why I couldn't be happier for Nashville and their fans this year (who are basically our dopplegangers in both culture and ownership/attendance issues) finally be able to have the opportunity to draft the franchise center they've needed for as long as we have.

IPreferPi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 10:03 PM
DesertDawg

Quote:
"Tanking" is a complete fallacy. It's an urban myth. What could this team done to lose more games? The players obviously aren't going to go any less than 100%. It's their jobs on the line. Same goes for the coaches. Can you honestly see Maloney going to Tippett and instructing him on personnel decisions? Like "hey Tip, howsabout resting up Doaner for next season and giving Biznasty a few extra looks?" I mean come on. The mutual respect would have to be utterly destroyed for something like that to happen. It's the kind of absurdity that only happens in the minds of fans. Now of course Don could've traded more guys. That's like tanking. He wanted to keep key pieces for next year.
If Maloney wanted to truly tank, he would have traded Gordon, Chipchura, and Smith - the 3 players that are expected to hit free agency - and nobody would question him.

...and I don't believe that the 8th vs the 12th is a big deal. I do expect Valeri Nichushkin to slide into those picks and defensive players to also fall in that sequence of picks. Lindholm won't slip past NJ!

Last edited by DesertDawg: 04-30-2013 at 10:11 PM.
DesertDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 10:03 PM
XX
Avoiding the Cap

Quote:
Now of course Don could've traded more guys. That's like tanking. He wanted to keep key pieces for next year.
Well all indications are that Gordon and Smith will likely walk. They needed to do what Philly did; shut everyone down for the season that you reasonably can. OEL has a bad foot? shut him down. Doan has a bad back? shut him down. Trade Smith, Gordon. Bam, top 3 pick. Fans are not stupid. They understand that going out with a whimper is offset by a potential star being taken in the draft. The NFL makes April a yearly celebration of this.

Losing 5 games or whatever isn't suddenly going to take Tippett out of the elite class of coaches. Guys are welcome to play out the string with heart like Klinkhammer and earn their spots for next year. They're all professionals. It's just that great organizations know when to stack the chips against their own team, for the sake of a better future. There's no boy scout award for playing out the string with 'pride'. It's a business. No jobs were ever really in jeopardy here. Dumping everything not bolted to the floor is 100% justifiable.

XX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 10:39 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Maloney probably doesn't want to lose Smith or Gordon. He's probably hopeful he can make something work.
Also, Smith was injured at the deadline. So even if Don wanted to deal him, there probably weren't any takers.
Also, I love Gordon but how many games did he win us post deadline? I'd like to keep him and dealing him isn't exactly tank city.

Old
04-30-2013, 10:51 PM
lanky

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDawg View Post
Lindholm won't slip past NJ!
Agreed. Devils and Stars will pick up any falling franchise centremen before we can.

lanky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 10:56 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Would Gormley for Shinkaruk make any sense? Give us the chance to take both he and Lazar?

Old
04-30-2013, 11:01 PM
hbk
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Would Gormley for Shinkaruk make any sense? Give us the chance to take both he and Lazar?
Personally I hold onto Gormely. I think the call needs to be determined on who better suits this organization in the long run between Yandle and Rundblad. I don't believe there is room enough on our PP for both. That may take us down a different path than taking 2 of Shinkaruk/Domi/Lazar/Wennberg.

hbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 11:19 PM
Llewzaher

Quote:
True ... In Calgary Fan960 they were talking to some retired NHLers , and discussing the idea of tanking for a better draft pick .

The response was the players don't even think of the draft nor do they care . It is not even a thought in their head . They are there to play hockey and to win .

Llewzaher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 12:08 AM
Kimahri

Send a message via AIM to Kimahri
A player I would be happy with at number 12 if all the big names are off the board by then is Frederik Gauthier. Although I haven't caught many of his games due to them being damn near impossible to find. I did like the little I saw. I never saw him throw his weight around but he seemed to know how to shield his opponents from the puck using his size and reach. (Again, very limited viewing, like less than 2 games worth. haha.) 12 seems like a bad spot to be drafting. Maybe even trade back to around the 20 spot, draft Ryan Hartman, and pick up an additional 2nd rounder. Hartman is one of my favorites in this draft, I see a little bit of Ryan Callahan in his game.

Kimahri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 12:23 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

^ love Hartman. Klimchuk, too. I just don't value 2nd rounders highly enough to move back. I want whoever Knickle values most at #12.

I do hope JC Lipon is somehow available at the first pick of the third round. I'd love to luck into that pick.

Old
05-01-2013, 12:39 AM
Kimahri

Send a message via AIM to Kimahri
Quote:
^ love Hartman. Klimchuk, too. I just don't value 2nd rounders highly enough to move back. I want whoever Knickle values most at #12.

I do hope JC Lipon is somehow available at the first pick of the third round. I'd love to luck into that pick.
Honestly, I prefer to stay at 12 as well. Just throwing an idea out there that involves us picking Hartman. And I know how you feel about hoping Lipon is there at the Florida 3rd rounder, as I feel the same about hoping we luck into Connor Hurley with our second rounder.

Kimahri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 02:13 AM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPreferPi View Post
It's just frustrating to see the Yotes get the short-end of the stick time and again with getting the franchise center they need, that they can market and build around.
Well like I said, last time the Yotes kept it professional instead of just tanking they ended up with OEL so maybe it'll work out that way again.

Old
05-01-2013, 08:37 AM
Kaibur

Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
Well all indications are that Gordon and Smith will likely walk. They needed to do what Philly did; shut everyone down for the season that you reasonably can. OEL has a bad foot? shut him down. Doan has a bad back? shut him down. Trade Smith, Gordon. Bam, top 3 pick. Fans are not stupid. They understand that going out with a whimper is offset by a potential star being taken in the draft. The NFL makes April a yearly celebration of this.

Losing 5 games or whatever isn't suddenly going to take Tippett out of the elite class of coaches. Guys are welcome to play out the string with heart like Klinkhammer and earn their spots for next year. They're all professionals. It's just that great organizations know when to stack the chips against their own team, for the sake of a better future. There's no boy scout award for playing out the string with 'pride'. It's a business. No jobs were ever really in jeopardy here. Dumping everything not bolted to the floor is 100% justifiable.
I would have forced Summers, and Miele into games as soon as it was clear we were not making the playoffs. I think that was clear before we were statistically out. Maybe give Visentin or Lee the last game of the year. Four fewer points would have been a much nicer pick and getting those guys games over the AHL vets should have been a little more of a priority. But I still think Maloney made the right move by dumping Torres and Sullivan. He should have just gone one further by moving a veteran D as well.

Kaibur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 09:48 AM
_Del_

vCash: 50
I think Summers is gone, so they didn't care to evaluate him. I agree that it would have been nice to see Miele, Brown, etc get a cup of coffee.

I secretly hope that DD is right and Nichushkin slips and that we take the risk on him. Beyond that, we cross our fingers with Domi or Lazar, I guess. Lazar probably has the lower ceiling, but I sort of like the idea of him and Samuelsson coming through the ranks together.

_Del_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 10:15 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

I really dislike Nichushkin as a prospect. He's the definition of one-trick-pony. The guy literally has one stinking move. It works great on big ice surfaces in less physical leagues ans against young kids who he has a huge strength advantage over, but when he comes to North America to try that outside in move, they'll find him out within ten games ans totally neutralize him. He's like hockeys version of Erubial Durazo.

I might take him very late in the first because the raw tools are there, but I think he needs a tremendous amount of work. Work he won't get as long as he's in Russia. He has to come here to develope and learn. That means he's got to leave a ton of money on the table and pay his dues for comparitive peanuts. Not everybody is built that way. Seems like a huge risk. If he's there when we pick in the 2nd round, I'd probably roll the dice.