HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

ECQ SERIES DISCUSSION | (1) Penguins vs. (8) Islanders | #BeLIeve

Old
04-30-2013, 05:15 PM
StrongIslanders90

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GilliesGirlie View Post
The isles will win this just for the simple fact that I leave for England on the 13th, with my bad luck the Isles will advance and I will be overseas in a house with no Internet!

Spot it!......I hope they have Starbucks in England

StrongIslanders90 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 05:21 PM
doublechili

I posted this in the old thread just before it was shut down, so I'll repost here since it's consistent with what was subsequently posted on IPB (Isles hidden advantage being a puck-control game):

"Maybe intimidation would work, but I suspect the best chance would be to play an amazing transition game, use the mobility/puck-moving of our d-men and keep the play out of our defensive zone as much as possible. Conversely, the Isles will need to forecheck guys like Murray and Orpik (and hopefully Engellund) and maintain O zone pressure and get chances off mistakes. I think that's kind of how the Devs frustrated the Flyers last year in the POs.

The other issue with trying to intimidate is that the refs will be calling the series closely to protect Sid. But that can play to the Isles' advantage for their smaller d-men."

doublechili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 06:21 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantom View Post
UNLESS MAF lets in like 8 Goals w or there is a INJURY I HIGHLY doubt Vokoun Plays
I'd like to see the Isles rattle Fleury early. Bring on the pressure of trying to avoid a second straight, rough postseason. Getting him looking over his shoulder at Vokoun.

Isles can't be awe of the Pens. Leave that to the press and Pens fans

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 06:28 PM
NYI JT91

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvon44 View Post
Well...we've got Butch and Howie for at least games 1, 2, and 4...and I'll be at game 3....so no NBC for me as of yet! Plus we know how much Howie despises the Pens, takes shots at them whenever he can.
Same here ! Lol much rather listen to howie and butch. What's funny is every we get little to no respect in the way of national tv and complain about it, and now that we have it we don't want to watch it ha

NYI JT91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 06:48 PM
broth518

Send a message via AIM to broth518
Sunday Game and Road Closures (Long Island Marathon))

http://islanders.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=668596

Not sure if everyone saw this but getting to the game on Sunday is going to be a pain. Anyone have any ideas or insights on how to get to the game from Manhattan with the road closures?

I am not that familiar anymore with Long Island.

broth518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 06:54 PM
miscreant
Charles in Charge!

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublechili View Post
I posted this in the old thread just before it was shut down, so I'll repost here since it's consistent with what was subsequently posted on IPB (Isles hidden advantage being a puck-control game):

"Maybe intimidation would work, but I suspect the best chance would be to play an amazing transition game, use the mobility/puck-moving of our d-men and keep the play out of our defensive zone as much as possible. Conversely, the Isles will need to forecheck guys like Murray and Orpik (and hopefully Engellund) and maintain O zone pressure and get chances off mistakes. I think that's kind of how the Devs frustrated the Flyers last year in the POs.

The other issue with trying to intimidate is that the refs will be calling the series closely to protect Sid. But that can play to the Isles' advantage for their smaller d-men."
Completely agree with this. Trying to follow the Flyers blueprint last year would be a mistake for us. Mucking it up and taking runs at the Pens would only take us away from our game, and we'd get pulverized anyway by a team far more adept at nasty play. Yeah we should finish off checks on the forecheck and play their stars tough when opportunities present, but only within our system. Haven't seen this posted:

KEY STRENGTH: "First of all, they have some high-end talent. Young guys that can really skate," said one Eastern Conference defenseman. "They play a fast, fast style of game. If you turn over pucks, they're off to the races. They play at a higher pace than just about anybody."

http://insider.espn.go.com/nhl/story...-islanders-nhl

If we're on top of our game 5x5, we can play with the Pens! They're going to come out very physical to set the tone for this series and also to send a message to the rest of the league. Let them take runs, slips pucks by them and attack on the rush. They've bulked up with tough, old, slow players as if they're playing the 2012 Flyers. Let's troll them and beat them with our game!

miscreant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 06:57 PM
banehardens

Quote:
Originally Posted by broth518 View Post

Not sure if everyone saw this but getting to the game on Sunday is going to be a pain. Anyone have any ideas or insights on how to get to the game from Manhattan with the road closures?

If I am reading the closures correctly, I think your best bet would be: 495 East > Cross Island South > Northern State East > Meadowbrook Parkway South > Hempstead Turnpike (24) West

banehardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 07:12 PM
2ndGenIslander
Potvin's Cups

Quote:

Not a problem for us south western Nassau folks. As long as hempstead turnpike is open we're good!!

2ndGenIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 07:20 PM
CodeE

I say see how the first couple games play out before deciding if Strome/Donovan/DeHaan/Whoever should be inserted into the lineup.

We know this team. We know they're good, they've got the star power we're used to and have brought in Iginla, Morrow, Murray, Jokinen and others to make a serious run at the cup. We can still beat them, just have to take it one game at a time. Like the song goes, anything could happen.

Most importantly, anytime Crosby touches the puck, we need Martin, McDonald, Cizikas, or another physical player checking the daylights out of him. Nothing illegal, and I don't wish any sort of injury on Crosby, but he's the guy we really need to rattle mentally so he has a bad series.

CodeE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 08:22 PM
leaponover

Still in heaven that there are upcoming meaningful games for me to watch. Almost feels unreal. Just not used to being an Islanders fan in May!! Not to mention this game is on my birthday so great way to celebrate!!

leaponover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 08:36 PM
19NYSports91

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaponover View Post
Still in heaven that there are upcoming meaningful games for me to watch. Almost feels unreal. Just not used to being an Islanders fan in May!! Not to mention this game is on my birthday so great way to celebrate!!
Yea, usually I'm looking at mock drafts all the time and watching the Yankees. Not this year, nice to see.

19NYSports91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 08:43 PM
VT Isles Fan

Quote:
Well...we've got Butch and Howie for at least games 1, 2, and 4...and I'll be at game 3....so no NBC for me as of yet! Plus we know how much Howie despises the Pens, takes shots at them whenever he can.
Wish I could get Howie and Butch, but with Center Ice done, I'm stuck with the national telecast.

VT Isles Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 09:58 PM
Dutch Frost
Battle Level

Is this our GDT ? If so, where the hell are the monkeys??

Where is Truman or Law.. cmon we deserve a good GDT people.. with all the paper bags and other nonsense. We didnt come this far to stop now!!

LETS GO ISLANDERS!!!

Dutch Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 10:00 PM
bstash19

havent heard any word on crosby. today was supposed to be his checkup. now im reading it will be a gametime decision tomorrow.

i wonder if he wasnt cleared yet, or he was, and they dont want to tip their hand.

bstash19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 10:15 PM
19 in a row

Quote:

take the grand central/northern state to the meadowbrook to hempstead turnpike(west).. if you are getting there after 9:30 looks like u can get off at charles lindbergh..park in the back if you can, easier to exit after.

confirmed with my rep that all lots will be open but will need to enter from hempstead tpke if arriving early.. plan to tailgate

19 in a row is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 10:17 PM
19 in a row

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstash19 View Post
havent heard any word on crosby. today was supposed to be his checkup. now im reading it will be a gametime decision tomorrow.

i wonder if he wasnt cleared yet, or he was, and they dont want to tip their hand.
same with Orpik? last i heard it was gametime, any further updates?

19 in a row is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 10:53 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Frost View Post
Is this our GDT ? If so, where the hell are the monkeys??

Where is Truman or Law.. cmon we deserve a good GDT people.. with all the paper bags and other nonsense. We didnt come this far to stop now!!

LETS GO ISLANDERS!!!

It's up in the sticky section.

General series discussion will go here. GDT discussion will go in the GDT.

04-30-2013, 11:00 PM
cjdv16

Quote:
Odds on Howie buckling and uttering the words "Cindy Crosby"?

Or will he pay off Butchie to purposely flub that one?

cjdv16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 12:39 AM
Bert Marshall days

13?

Bert Marshall days is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 01:30 AM
Chairman Wang

Do not know why... but keep feeling that Thomas Hickey becomes an important part of this series.

Chairman Wang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 02:23 AM
wingnutks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairman Wang View Post
Do not know why... but keep feeling that Thomas Hickey becomes an important part of this series.
The most important Islander player for this series will be, everybody.

wingnutks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 02:35 AM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstash19 View Post
havent heard any word on crosby. today was supposed to be his checkup.

It was just a pap smear.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 03:09 AM
leaponover

Wow, nice little article about Isles on NHL.com

Don't know how realistic it is but I guess every team has a chance in the playoffs:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=668161

"Why the Islanders will win the Stanley CupSunday, 04.28.2013 / 9:45 PM / Penguins vs Islanders - 2013 SCP Conference Quarterfinals
By Brian Compton - NHL.com Deputy Managing Editor"

leaponover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 03:09 AM
lost35*

looking on the Pens board, I have never seen a more cocky fan base, I think they expect the Isles to just stay on Long Island and forfeit the series

lost35* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 04:02 AM
simbo042

vCash: 50
Really looking forward to the start of the series, great to be watching hockey in May as a fan rather than a neutral!

For all this talk of favourites and best, my biggest concern is depth. We need our third and fourth lines to bring energy and responsibility every game so that we can roll the lines with confidence. Staying fresh will give us the best chance to exploit opportunities against what is undoubtedly a good team all the way down the roster (plus, maybe the first line spending a little more time in the attacking third..?)

My head is saying Pitt will take this in 6, but if we can pick up a win on the road early I think all bets are off...

Go Isles!

simbo042 is offline   Reply With Quote