HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What to do with Andrej Sekera to maximize our assets

Old
05-01-2013, 01:27 AM
Lindy Puff

vCash: 500
What to do with Andrej Sekera to maximize our assets

Considering we will not be contenders in the next 2 seasons what should we do with Andrej Sekera to maximize the value we receive for him.

Let me make this clear I understand he is a very good puck moving dman but we will not be contenders in the next 2 seasons and that is all that is left on his contract of a 2,750,000 cap hit but he only gets paid 1,750,000 per season also increasing his trade value. We have Pysyk coming along very nicely and in 2 seasons he will be a very good dman in the same mold as Sekera. When Sekeras contract is up he will be a UFA. He will command 5-6 million per season for about 5-6 years. In the next 2 years his stock will go up and with thin free agency classes now players get overpaid. I would consider trading him soon to maximize our assets before we have to overpay for a dman when we will have pysyk ready.

Lindy Puff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 01:39 AM
Myllz
ARF ARF ARF ARF ARF

We should do nothing with him considering he's only 26. He'll be in his prime when this team is ready, so why would we move him? Cap space isn't an issue for the next couple seasons whatsoever.

Myllz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 01:42 AM
Lindy Puff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post
We should do nothing with him considering he's only 26. He'll be in his prime when this team is ready, so why would we move him? Cap space isn't an issue for the next couple seasons whatsoever.
Hes due for a big raise in 2 years would you want to sign him to big money like we did stafford but he would want more and possibly handcuff the cap in the years when we would be a contender in the next 3-5 years

Old
05-01-2013, 01:45 AM
sivert

Sure. Sell all the good players and suck for years. Edmonton way.

sivert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 01:47 AM
Lindy Puff

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivert View Post
Sure. Sell all the good players and suck for years. Edmonton way.
Hes not all of the good players.

Old
05-01-2013, 01:53 AM
Lindy Puff

after next season our d would then look something like this if we trade sekera at the deadline or on 2014 draft day

Myers-Ehrhoff
Pysyk-Mcnabb
Weber-Ruhwedel

we could easily get a 1st rounder + for sekera instead of locking 15 million plus per year in myers ehrhoff and sekera.

Also the "top players that darcy has and the top players he wants to get will command alot of money. also in future year we will be giving raises to guys like grigs girgs armia larrson pysyk folingo hogdson ennis ect

Old
05-01-2013, 01:55 AM
sivert

He's one of 3-4 that we have. You try to retain that kind of players in their prime, not trade them away.

Old
05-01-2013, 01:58 AM
sivert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindy Puff View Post
after next season our d would then look something like this if we trade sekera at the deadline or on 2014 draft day

Myers-Ehrhoff
Pysyk-Mcnabb
Weber-Ruhwedel

we could easily get a 1st rounder + for sekera instead of locking 15 million plus per year in myers ehrhoff and sekera.
Yeah, that's one first-pairing dman, one second-pairing guy and a bunch of bottom guys. Built for winning

Old
05-01-2013, 02:02 AM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Quote:

Myers-Ehrhoff
Pysyk-Mcnabb
Weber-Ruhwedel

Also the "top players that darcy has and the top players he wants to get will command alot of money. also in future year we will be giving raises to guys like grigs girgs armia larrson pysyk folingo hogdson ennis ect
3 of the 6 names are pretty much rookies. No thanks for that line up. We need a solid veteran or two not less.

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 02:07 AM
Lindy Puff

Quote:
He's one of 3-4 that we have. You try to retain that kind of players in their prime, not trade them away.
would you give Sekera 6 million per year for 6 years? he will be 29 when his contract expires and by that time i think we would have seen his potential. i just don't like signing him for that much and that long its bad news. If it were me i would hold on to him for another season and a half and then trade him at the 2014-15 trade deadline when hes an ufa. Then hes here for the start of the rebuild mentoring pysyk and other players then trading him for alot of assets to add to the rebuld before overpaying or losing him in FA.

Old
05-01-2013, 02:13 AM
Lindy Puff

Quote:
Yeah, that's one first-pairing dman, one second-pairing guy and a bunch of bottom guys. Built for winning
read the first line in the OP "Considering we will not be contenders in the next 2 season" in 2 years that could be a solid group and they would be in the league for 2-3 seasons giving them experience so they would not be rookies either.

Old
05-01-2013, 02:13 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

He's a guy who should be one of the few who makes it through the back end rebuild.

Woah.

After I type that, I realize... Ehrhoff is going nowhere (rightfully).... Myers is staying due to contract. Weber solidified his role and should also stay. Pysyk is a bright spot to look forward to.... So then what? There are five of six dmen who should or will be in the equation.

So as much as I don't want to, I might entertain offers for Sekera, since he has value as a trade piece due to performance, age, and contract. It's quite a remarkable thing to look at (our blueline situation, in that the unit seems to suck collectively but we have five pieces pretty firmly in place).

How about a Stafford/Sekera base to Edmonton for #7 +?

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 02:18 AM
Grahn

Quote:
would you give Sekera 6 million per year for 6 years?
What makes you think this is a reasonable contract offer?

Grahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 02:18 AM
sivert

Quote:
would you give Sekera 6 million per year for 6 years? he will be 29 when his contract expires and by that time i think we would have seen his potential. i just don't like signing him for that much and that long its bad news. If it were me i would hold on to him for another season and a half and then trade him at the 2014-15 trade deadline when hes an ufa. Then hes here for the start of the rebuild mentoring pysyk and other players then trading him for alot of assets to add to the rebuld before overpaying or losing him in FA.
If he's worth 6m per by that time I give him that. If he's not, no one signs him for that money. It's that simple.

Old
05-01-2013, 02:25 AM
Lindy Puff

Players we keep threw the rebuild
Vanek (possibly)
leino if he proves he can play at a high level of play and stay healthy.
Ott.... do i gotta explain
kaleta
myers
ehrhoff
weber

That is a decent amount of veteran leaders that can help the kids.

also allowing hodgson foligno pysyk mcnabb and others to have a chance at changing the locker room and making it theirs and claiming the C

Old
05-01-2013, 02:27 AM
Djp

I dont have an issue in moving him...just not for prospects and picks....I would want to get NHL ready players in return.

It also depends on a lot other things....

What does Buffalo do with Miller---do they get in return a Dman?

Same with Vanek trade do we move him and get back a Dman?

If we acquire a Dman who is NHL ready then He will be someone marketable to get a forward?

Djp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 02:33 AM
Lindy Puff

Quote:
If he's worth 6m per by that time I give him that. If he's not, no one signs him for that money. It's that simple.
its not that simple teams over pay in free agency. let me say that again TEAMS OVERPAY IN FA someone will pay that if he reaches FA. hes already making nearly 3 million per year and that is a bargain for him. He will want a raise so thats another 2 - 2.5 because anyone with hockey knowledge would no hes outperformed his contract already and he has 2 years way out produce his current contract. he will get 5-6 million per year.

Old
05-01-2013, 02:37 AM
Lindy Puff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djp View Post
I dont have an issue in moving him...just not for prospects and picks....I would want to get NHL ready players in return.

It also depends on a lot other things....

What does Buffalo do with Miller---do they get in return a Dman?

Same with Vanek trade do we move him and get back a Dman?

If we acquire a Dman who is NHL ready then He will be someone marketable to get a forward?
Thats the magic of having a bunch of picks we could easily trade 2 2nd rounders in 2014 for nhl ready young players (Remember last rebuild when we got a sorta young entering their primes in Briere and Drury)

Old
05-01-2013, 03:13 AM
Djp

Quote:
Thats the magic of having a bunch of picks we could easily trade 2 2nd rounders in 2014 for nhl ready young players (Remember last rebuild when we got a sorta young entering their primes in Briere and Drury)
Sekera at the deadline would be a moveable player. Cheap contract, top 4 Dman. The issue is for what?

I understand you can go out and acquire a vet Dman for 2 2nds to fill a hole.

In theory with moving Miller and Vanek the return on those 2 should be 2 1sts + 3 quality young players at least.

Miller could be moved for pure prospects or he is moved for another vet Dman.

The picks and prospects are then moveable to acquire veterans.

That is my thought for next year....Id rather have the younger player play next year and have them learn. Then in 2014 make some moves and target some veterans that would build the core of the team.

From 2012-2014 drafts Buffalo as of now have accumilated 5 1sts and 6 2nds + whatever the other players could be traded for...with most teams they would just have 6 picks total.

Djp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 03:41 AM
wunderpanda

Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
He's a guy who should be one of the few who makes it through the back end rebuild.

Woah.

After I type that, I realize... Ehrhoff is going nowhere (rightfully).... Myers is staying due to contract. Weber solidified his role and should also stay. Pysyk is a bright spot to look forward to.... So then what? There are five of six dmen who should or will be in the equation.

So as much as I don't want to, I might entertain offers for Sekera, since he has value as a trade piece due to performance, age, and contract. It's quite a remarkable thing to look at (our blueline situation, in that the unit seems to suck collectively but we have five pieces pretty firmly in place).

and we still have McCabe too.

Not sure if we could get #7 with that offer, but we should try

wunderpanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 03:55 AM
drinking bleach irl
don't be so serious

vCash: 436
The plan all goes to hell when we have to give Enroth 10 million for 10 years

drinking bleach irl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 06:24 AM
RazielMoshman
Ever hopeful

Quote:
Sure. Sell all the good players and suck for the foreseeable future. Edmonton way.
Corrected.

I'd keep him, his a good, solid veteran to have around. If we are trading away most of our proven vets then we will need players like him. What good is a bunch of rookies with no vets to help teach them?

RazielMoshman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 06:29 AM
RazielMoshman
Ever hopeful

Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post

Woah.

To be fair though short of McNabb who's likely to see significant NHL time in the next 2 years?

RazielMoshman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 07:49 AM
Clock

Keep him. Just because the team's in rebuild mode doesn't mean it should look for unique ways to shoot itself in the foot.

Sekera's a known quantity who likely hasn't peaked yet. Don't give him up for picks.

Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 08:31 AM
Prospector74

Keep Sekera and reevaluate situation next off season (but we're probably keeping him then as well). Our D is too inexperienced to lose him this year.

Also, rebuild to me does not me deliberately tank next year. I want us to rebuild but we should still be fighting make the playoffs.

Prospector74 is offline   Reply With Quote