HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bandwagon Fans?

Old
04-30-2013, 11:53 AM
Bench
#notmyroof

vCash: 500
Bandwagon fans can catch the bug permanently. Careful!

Bench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 12:02 PM
we like our team*

anything that requires being a fan breeds these sort of people who look down on those that are less dedicated or are "casual" to feel better about themselves and justify the huge amount of time they've wasted with it

we like our team* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 12:18 PM
Bench
#notmyroof

Quote:
Originally Posted by braille View Post
anything that requires being a fan breeds these sort of people who look down on those that are less dedicated or are "casual" to feel better about themselves and justify the huge amount of time they've wasted with it
Yup. True of all hobbies. Every scene I've been apart of has had "real" members.

Old
04-30-2013, 12:20 PM
Hckytwn
Don't do it Kenny...

I'm not sure citing an increase of interest/social media at the start of the playoffs is an indication of "bandwagoning". I watch hockey every single night of the regular season, yet my interest also increases during the playoffs.

And, frankly like others have said, I don't see any problem with these kinds of fans anyways. The NHL playoffs are truly the most exciting playoffs in pro sports and I hope everyone gets in on them.

Hckytwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 12:36 PM
Bench
#notmyroof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hckytwn View Post
I'm not sure citing an increase of interest/social media at the start of the playoffs is an indication of "bandwagoning". I watch hockey every single night of the regular season, yet my interest also increases during the playoffs.

And, frankly like others have said, I don't see any problem with these kinds of fans anyways. The NHL playoffs are truly the most exciting playoffs in pro sports and I hope everyone gets in on them.
Well put. Fans have to come from somewhere. No reason to shut folks out.

Old
04-30-2013, 12:43 PM
TheMoreYouKnow

I do look down on people who choose teams just because they're successful. It feels like cheating.

TheMoreYouKnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 01:07 PM
Bench
#notmyroof

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
I do look down on people who choose teams just because they're successful. It feels like cheating.
They only cheat themselves. The sweet isn't as sweet without the bitter. No need for us to play gatekeeper.

Old
04-30-2013, 01:09 PM
Crymson
Fire Holland

I've been a fan forever, but I did not really get into it until 2006. Oddly enough, the genesis of my increased interest was the series between the Wings and the Oilers.

Crymson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 01:15 PM
ArGarBarGar
Global Moderator
Defense Please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crymson View Post
I've been a fan forever, but I did not really get into it until 2006. Oddly enough, the genesis of my increased interest was the series between the Wings and the Oilers.
****ing Legace.

Also, I don't see what the issue is with bandwagon fans. They only time they become a problem is when you see them have a discussion with another team's fan and make themselves look stupid due to rehahsed arguments like "we are the class of the league" and "talk to me when you won 4 cups in 20 years" or whatever. Hell, those arguments even come from "true" fans.

Basically, people need to get over the fact bandwagoners exist. Gives me more people to high-five at the bar when the Wings score or win.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedWheel1987 View Post
His assessment is pretty spot on. My Facebook news feed is filled with Red Wing fans once the playoffs start. They say how proud they are to be a Wings fan and how much they love the team, but you could count the number of games they saw this season with one hand.

That group of fans is the most obnoxious out of all sports.
Probably because most people on Facebook don't give two ***** about someone expressing their love for the Red Wings during the regular season.

And what is so obnoxious about those people anyway? Because they are phonies compared to us true Red Wings fans?

ArGarBarGar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 01:26 PM
Bench
#notmyroof

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArGarBarGar View Post
Gives me more people to high-five at the bar when the Wings score or win.
Right on.

Old
04-30-2013, 01:36 PM
Teemu

vCash: 470
Pffft, come to Chicago and see what a REAL bandwagon looks like.

Teemu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 01:38 PM
Bench
#notmyroof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teemu View Post
Pffft, come to Chicago and see what a REAL bandwagon looks like.

That I don't doubt.

Old
04-30-2013, 01:42 PM
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!

vCash: 526
Quote:
And what is so obnoxious about those people anyway? Because they are phonies compared to us true Red Wings fans?
Because they don't hate Holland as much as we do.

SoupNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 04:28 PM
kuick
Tatar Sauce

Quote:
Also, I don't see what the issue is with bandwagon fans. They only time they become a problem is when you see them have a discussion with another team's fan and make themselves look stupid due to rehahsed arguments like "we are the class of the league" and "talk to me when you won 4 cups in 20 years" or whatever. Hell, those arguments even come from "true" fans.

Basically, people need to get over the fact bandwagoners exist. Gives me more people to high-five at the bar when the Wings score or win.
Yeah, I agree with this. Bandwagon fans for any team are inevitable and nothing to get upset over. Join the party.

However, annoying obnoxious people like that who know relatively little on the subject are always going to be annoying and obnoxious. That part really has nothing to do with hockey, I just hate people like that. Just stop making the rest of us look bad.

kuick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 02:16 AM
RaySheppard

Quote:
****ing Legace.
I thought it was Williams selfish cross-check to the back at the worst possible time...

RaySheppard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 07:49 AM
OwkBlue

Mad about playoff bandwagon fans? Wait till the Wing's have a few bad seasons. I had friends who already stopped watching them this year.

OwkBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 10:22 AM
BinCookin

Ironically I hope we get more "bandwagon fans"

because...

you only get "those" fans when you win.

I am totally cool with being a fan of a team that has bandwagon fans!!

Imagine you live in florida right now. They aren't complaining about band wagon fans, they are lucky anyone cheers

also if you visit a message board to discuss hockey, you are already at 100/100 on the obsessed with hockey meter. Technically everyone is a bandwagoner compared to us

But honestly, every fan starts somewhere right?

Technically my dad was a DRW fan, I started watching hockey around 1994. Guess who my favorite teams were to start??? Well I got to see lots of TML games, and well I really didn't think hockey was a very good sport. I thought it was pretty boring watching dump and chase.

I ended up being a fan of the Nordiques, Canucks, and Red Wings. Surprise surprise i picked 3 "good" teams. Nordiques were bad but with a bunch of young talent, Canucks went to the stanley cup that year, and DRW were first overall. I liked watching all those teams. So technically i picked teams I liked watching, surprise they were good? Nah, everyone cheers for a winner.

Well the Canucks had less to cheer for for years, the Nordiques became colorado.. and then you know i had to choose between the DRW and colorado. Long story short, Detroit is my team because my Dad cheered for them. And my 2 second favorite teams (well one became our rivalry, so i had to stop liking them... Claude Lemieux!! )

If you analyze your own roots, there is a little bandwagoning in all of us. When I was in grade 7 i bought a baseball hat because i wanted a baseball hat. I picked a basketball team because it had a cool logo. Later i was "told" i was a bandwagoner because i wasn't really a fan of the team

That can happen too you know

BinCookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 11:19 AM
dtones520

Heaven forbid people actually have lives that don't allow them to watch 82 or more regular season hockey games throughout the year. Some people, like my dad, just prefer to watch playoff hockey. He doesn't enjoy the drastic difference in intensity between the two seasons. He watches almost every playoff game played, meaning every team.

Plus, fair weather fans still put butts in the seats, still buy merchandise, still eat hot and readys, so, they still support the team.

dtones520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 11:27 AM
dtones520

Quote:
****ing Legace.

Probably because most people on Facebook don't give two ***** about someone expressing their love for the Red Wings during the regular season.

You know what is funny is that those people probably think it is really odd that we watch most every game and then spend hours online posting about every aspect of the organization.

dtones520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 07:02 PM
smurfyeah19

Hockey has a very small amount of bandwagon fans compared to other sports. For instance I'm a huge Tigers fan as is the woman, yet it seems most people that go anymore do so to walk around the stadium and drink in right field. I know a lot of people that just go to Cheli's on game nights to drink and watch on the roof

smurfyeah19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 10:08 PM
Yemack

I'm really disappointed by some of the Red Wings fans tonight.

Yemack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 10:12 PM
Vladdy84
L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yemack View Post
I'm really disappointed by some of the Red Wings fans tonight.
I'm really disappointed in the Red Wings tonight.

Vladdy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 10:15 PM
Yemack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladdy84 View Post
I'm really disappointed in the Red Wings tonight.
name me one red wings fan who isnt.

so you just walk out of the team who tried their best? and boo?

I see why some fans who stuck through dead thing era call new fans bandwagon fans now.

Old
05-04-2013, 10:19 PM
Vladdy84
L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yemack View Post
name me one red wings fan who isnt.

so you just walk out of the team who tried their best? and boo?

I see why some fans who stuck through dead thing era call new fans bandwagon fans now.
I would've booed the Wings after the first. The stay till the end and cheer on the team no matter what mentality is PURE LIONS FAN.

Vladdy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 10:26 PM
Yemack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladdy84 View Post
I would've booed the Wings after the first. The stay till the end and cheer on the team no matter what mentality is PURE LIONS FAN.
why would you have booed wings after first period?