HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Loads of Canucks playoff tickets available raising questions about Vancouver market

Old
04-29-2013, 09:34 PM
Colt45Blast
is in your head

vCash: 500
This is interesting considering both the Dollar and the Loonie are only almost the same right now. USD $1.00/CAD $1.01. If the Loonie started to drop below $1 and go from there, oh my! Right now I don't see anything need to sound the alarm here and the franchise is in good hands for the time being and chances are I won't see this team facing a relocation threat in my lifetime.

Colt45Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 01:46 AM
frivolousz21

MOD

If I made 600,000.00 a year I wouldn't pay 60 bucks for a blues playoff ticket.

Paying 150 to sit anywhere, let alone the Upper Deck is insane.

Every time these threads come around I will go on a rant about how people are being totally priced gouged and manipulated into paying these insane prices so their team can put out a competitive product.

Talk about insanity.

Those same people who apparently can afford to toss out 2-5K a year on just tickets, not including anything else then show up and attack my pov telling me to get a better job.

There are sports fans and then there is sports ADDICTS LIKE CRACK ADDICTS.

Anyone willing to pay thousands for sports tickets is addicted unless they have a lot of good auxiliary reasons.

anyways judge a market by tv ratings not ticket sales.

Last edited by Fugu: 04-30-2013 at 03:06 AM. Reason: ..
frivolousz21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 11:28 AM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

vCash: 1531
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrmetros View Post
$$$ pricing themselves out of the market......
it is more about this then anything else. After living in Vancouver for many years before I moved here to the UK, the problem the canucks have done for years was that because there is such a large cooperate base in Vancouver that the team aimed for them and not the average client.

That being said, the apathy towards the team is often silly at time

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 01:18 PM
Tinalera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charon of Styx View Post
I wonder how tough it will be to get into the Real Sports bar? Probably have to get there by noon and just keep ordering
Actually, even farther out-my understanding during regular season you have to RESERVE a table/spot at Real Sports during game nights-wouldn't doubt that would carry over to Playoffs

In regards to Vancouver-I think it falls into the apathy type of scenario, Van has been successful in getting to playoffs each season, and now maybe it's "oh just first round, not interested" type of mentality. I do think that combined with prices that are being asked are having many saying "um, no thank you, talk to me when you get to conference/Stanley finals"

They will eventually fill up for the game nights I think-it's a healthy market.

Tinalera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 01:29 PM
NHLfan4life
Who is PKP???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
So what I'm hearing is that it's okay for Vancouver playoff tickets to be sluggish for any of a number of reasons listed above, but when fans in Florida or Atlanta or Carolina didn't want to show up to watch bad regular season hockey, it's because they're terrible markets that don't support the team or sport.

Just glad we've cleared that up.
^^^ This. Came here to say this, forgot Phoenix. But whatever.

Waiting....

NHLfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 02:19 PM
kevinBOOMBOOMbieksa

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHLfan4life View Post

Waiting....
I've always been one that supported the growth of the game especially in the "southern" markets. I don't think its worth criticizing attendance in a lot of cases because there is often more than meets the eye with those cases. However, if you can't see the difference between a building slowly selling out (make no mistake, it will) in a market about 60% the size of Phoenix with ticket prices at about 10 times higher, than you really shouldn't be discussing this.

As someone mentioned above, tv ratings really should be one of the stronger indicators of a market as it gauges general interest and not just the amount of people with a healthy amount of disposable income. In Vancouver, these tickets are not just disposable income, these family vacation prices all wrapped up into 3 hours of entertainment.

kevinBOOMBOOMbieksa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 02:25 PM
mavstar
I hate Nucks' fans

There's definitely less hype with the Canucks this year and the tickets aren't selling as fast due to lots of factors:

1. Shortened season: People aren't as engaged with the team or the NHL this year
2. Mediocre regular-season play: High-flying offense almost completely dried-up
3. Constant playoff disappointments: See last season and previous
4. TICKET PRICES!

I sure as **** won't pay $160(not including tax) for a nose-bleed seat. 3 hours of entertainment isn't worth $200 to me.

Last edited by mavstar: 04-30-2013 at 02:37 PM.
mavstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 03:03 PM
cheswick
Non-registered User

vCash: 574
Quote:

Waiting....
Because number of tickets sold is completely irrelevant. Revenue is the only thing that matters. If the Coyotes sold a single ticket to every game but it cost $10 million they would be perfectly fine. If the attendance problems with the above mentioned markets is that the tickets are too expensive to fill the building, there is somthing fundamentally wrong cause the ticket prices are amongst the lowest in the league. And the revenues they generate are not profitable. The revenues the Canucsk will generate this year will be extremely profitable. That's why the comparisons are ridiculous.

cheswick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 03:19 PM
JetsFlyHigh

Quote:

Waiting....
We're talking ticket prices. How often do you say "the Coyotes tickets are overpriced!"?

Never.

JetsFlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 03:21 PM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

vCash: 700
Vancouver is a rich market with great fan support, very surprising.

Team_Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 03:36 PM
The CyNick
Follow @ TheCyNick

for some reason people can't understand why a team that is based in a city with a high cost of living would charge really high prices for tickets

big league markets pay big league prices. if you don't want to be big league, well at least you are in the nhl where you might have success.

The CyNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 04:34 PM
blueandgoldguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by The CyNick View Post
for some reason people can't understand why a team that is based in a city with a high cost of living would charge really high prices for tickets

big league markets pay big league prices. if you don't want to be big league, well at least you are in the nhl where you might have success.
Except it appears, they have priced themselves out of the market..even in a rich city like Vancouver.

blueandgoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 04:35 PM
Do Make Say Think
Soul & Onward

vCash: 256
Well this is an intriguing development

Are they still not soldout a day before Game 1?

If so, then you have to think something's going to have to give in terms of ticket pricing.

Do Make Say Think is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 04:43 PM
Zorbane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Guy View Post
Well this is an intriguing development

Are they still not soldout a day before Game 1?

If so, then you have to think something's going to have to give in terms of ticket pricing.
http://www.ticketmaster.ca/event/110...4&minorcatid=9

Plenty of tickets left

Zorbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 04:46 PM
Reverend Mayhem
Freeway's closed man

vCash: 940
Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Simple. Most fans in Vancouver are fickle. Ticket prices are ridiculously high. Lock-out turned a lot of fans off NHL. Most die-hard Canuck fans simply find playoff tickets too expensive and don't see much difference between sitting at home with a 60" plasma HD TV with surround sound.

Reverend Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 05:15 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Mayhem View Post
Simple. Most fans in Vancouver are fickle. Ticket prices are ridiculously high. Lock-out turned a lot of fans off NHL.
They can be, absolutely, but like I said in an earlier post & as you also point out, the Lockout & several other factors are precipitating this mess of a situation for the Canucks, who frankly should know better than to be pulling a stunt like this and deserve what they get if swaths of seats remain empty.

Killion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 05:27 PM
Dado

vCash:
Canucks now running 50% coupons on lower bowl tickets.

Very odd.

The local economy is certainly slowing down, but for a playoff game in Vancouver, this is pretty extreme.

Old
04-30-2013, 06:26 PM
castle
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post
Canucks now running 50% coupons on lower bowl tickets.

Very odd.

The local economy is certainly slowing down, but for a playoff game in Vancouver, this is pretty extreme.
there weren't really that many tickets left. and a 50% on the lower bowl meant the ticket was only $205 instead of $411!

castle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 06:44 PM
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle

Better sell out... A Canadian team not selling out for a playoff game is insane.

smackdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 10:49 PM
The CyNick
Follow @ TheCyNick

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
Except it appears, they have priced themselves out of the market..even in a rich city like Vancouver.
You can be a "rich" city and still not be a big league market in a given sport. It all depends how much the fans are willing to spend on the product.

My point is, because of this, fans of the Canucks shouldnt complain when the team takes measures to behave more like a mid sized market.

The CyNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 10:57 PM
thom

Before Pat Quin and Brian Burke took over there were thousands of empty seats.The prices are outrages.Most working people cannot afford to take their family at the price.Corporate sales and right offs can only be taken to a point.

thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 12:19 AM
VanCanucks14

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Better sell out... A Canadian team not selling out for a playoff game is insane.
Especially a team that has the 4th longest sell out streak in all of North American sports.

There's not many tickets left now but the Canucks deserve this IMO. They've priced themselves out after trying to charge $800+ for 2 tickets in the lower bowl for a 1st round game. The ticket prices have gotten worse and worse each year and with the job market and house prices in Van, there's only so much people can pay.

VanCanucks14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 02:01 AM
MAROONSRoad
f/k/a Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
So what I'm hearing is that it's okay for Vancouver playoff tickets to be sluggish for any of a number of reasons listed above, but when fans in Florida or Atlanta or Carolina didn't want to show up to watch bad regular season hockey, it's because they're terrible markets that don't support the team or sport.

Just glad we've cleared that up.
Yep, the fact that the ticket prices are as much as 10 times more than in some of those markets is not a relevant factor worthy of consideration.

$500 for Dad to take junior to the game, just for the tickets - not relevant that you could buy seasons tickets for that price in Florida, right? You can buy tickets to see some 1st round games for $11 in some other markets - not happening in Vancouver.

And guess what? They might still sell out, but yes, there is a limit on how much you can charge for 2 1/2 hours of entertainment vs. watching the game in HD at home or in a bar.

Ah, yes, TV: there could be near 1 million people watching the game, not 4,000 - 10,000 as is often the case in the places you have mentioned.

MAROONSRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 02:05 AM
The Korean*

Send a message via AIM to The Korean* Send a message via Yahoo to The Korean*
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAROONSRoad View Post
Yep, the fact that the ticket prices are as much as 10 times more than in some of those markets is not a relevant factor worthy of consideration.

$500 for Dad to take junior to the game, just for the tickets - not relevant that you could buy seasons tickets for that price in Florida, right? You can buy tickets to see some 1st round games for $11 in some other markets - not happening in Vancouver.

And guess what? They might still sell out, but yes, there is a limit on how much you can charge for 2 1/2 hours of entertainment vs. watching the game in HD at home or in a bar.

Ah, yes, TV: there could be near 1 million people watching the game, not 4,000 - 10,000 as is often the case in the places you have mentioned.
Excuses, excuses. Not having any of it like you wont hear any excuses on why some markets arent doing well regardless of how rational it is.

The Korean* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 02:12 AM
MAROONSRoad
f/k/a Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by krnboy1009 View Post
Excuses, excuses. Not having any of it like you wont hear any excuses on why some markets arent doing well regardless of how rational it is.
Yes, because it is necessary to make excuses on message boards if a Canadian NHL market hasn't sold out all of their tickets at one of the highest prices in the NHL before game time, right?

MAROONSRoad is offline   Reply With Quote