HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Why Shanahan chose NY over Montreal

Old
09-15-2006, 08:00 PM
Dynasty

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug mckenzie View Post
im not worried about shanny choosing new york over montreal . i like shanny but to each there own and i respect his reasons .

he isnt or never was the future of this team . simply a stop gap for the next 2 years and it's over .

the guys we should be focused on are the young players who are currently in love with the montreal canadiens .that grew up wanting to be montreal canadiens .

for some reason i dont think radek bonk grew up wanting to be a hab neither did zednick
nor bulis etc . im not knocking these guys BUT it's diffrent when you have guys like chris higgins and the johnson's and crosby's who all love the habs and dreamed to play for the habs since they were old enuff to remember .

these are the guys that care about the"CH" on the sweater and will play for more than just a pay check etc.

jack johnson the big defensmen and "sid the kid" both buddys and are big habs fans and have publicy said so . johnson said he even has habs shrine in his room

now these are guys are the future !!!! and guys we should focus on not Shannahan .with the new salary cap you never know whats goona happen with these young players

forget vincent forget gange all the boys who are from town and dont wanna play in the spot light of montreal .

Crosby and Johnson i can adopt these 2 young kids as our own very easy

when these 2 guys get there chance and there goona be bang in there primes what a glorious day it's goona be to see both these guys wearing the CH . very well could take crosby to bring the cup back to the bell province .

it's goona take a few more years of watching rookies being competive before we can make the leap of competing for the stanley cup
Are you the Montreal version of Don Cherry?? A prequisite for Playing with Montreal is that you had to grow up loving them. Give me a break!!!

Dynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2006, 09:07 PM
Phil Parent
Is Watching The D

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by puckeater View Post
Money, money, money...and kids. There exists lucrative endorsement deals and post playing career opportunities in the weeds for a guy like Shanny in the Big Apple. I also believe his kids would might have had to attend a french school, no? Or maybe they just didn't want to be in an environment so foreign to them. Ya know teens can be a pain in the *ss.
No his kids wouldn't have had to attend French school/

Phil Parent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2006, 10:01 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Parent View Post
No his kids wouldn't have had to attend French school/
I'm glad you brought up this point because I'm not too familiar with it. Why cant shanny put his kids in an english school? How does this all work?

If I remember correctly, this issue was why carbo left montreal in his 1st stint as an assistant coach in montreal

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2006, 10:18 PM
FF de Mars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
I'm glad you brought up this point because I'm not too familiar with it. Why cant shanny put his kids in an english school? How does this all work?

If I remember correctly, this issue was why carbo left montreal in his 1st stint as an assistant coach in montreal
He only has to send his kids to private school in english.

FF de Mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2006, 10:19 PM
Phil Parent
Is Watching The D

Carbo was born in Quebec from French parents and educated in Quebec, in French. His kids had to go to French school, it's the law.

Now, Shanahan is a Canadian educated in English. His kids can go to English school. It's an exception in the law that English Canadians educated in English can go to English school in Quebec.

Normally, all people coming into Quebec have to go to French school. English Canadians is the exception.

Old
09-15-2006, 10:19 PM
Phil Parent
Is Watching The D

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF de Mars View Post
He only has to send his kids to private school in english.
Nah, he couldn't do it.

Old
09-16-2006, 09:39 AM
Darz

Quote:
Originally Posted by your_rogers_bill View Post
A lot of things are "debateable", but the fact remains that New York was one of the top ranked teams in the NHL until their late season slump.

And the fact that they have Jaromir Jagr and Henrik Lundqvist gives them the advantage over Montreal when it came to an UFA. Shanahan's on-paper linemates are Straka and Jagr.
First off if you compare wins between the two clubs last year nicluding the playoffs you will see the numbers are...

Montreal - 44 wins
NYR - 44 wins.

...and if you consider that alot of NYR's success came early in the year while Montreal was still sorting things out (..like their goaltending), I don't see how the stats say NYR is the better team.

Imo, I see Montreal as the better team between the two heading into this year. Truthfully, imo again, I think if Lundqvist even struggles a little bit, the Rangers are in for alot of trouble.

09-16-2006, 12:32 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynasty View Post
Are you the Montreal version of Don Cherry?? A prequisite for Playing with Montreal is that you had to grow up loving them. Give me a break!!!
The childhood favorite is the biggest myth we see on the board, closely followed by how trade proposals always revolve around uniting brother combinations.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2006, 08:44 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Carbo was born in Quebec from French parents and educated in Quebec, in French. His kids had to go to French school, it's the law.

Now, Shanahan is a Canadian educated in English. His kids can go to English school. It's an exception in the law that English Canadians educated in English can go to English school in Quebec.

Normally, all people coming into Quebec have to go to French school. English Canadians is the exception.
Aren't shanny's kids american though? Do they fall under the same rule as english canadians?

And why couldn't shnny put his kids in an english private school?

I know money shouldn't be an issue but even rich people can be very cheap.... just wondering

Old
09-16-2006, 10:56 PM
Phil Parent
Is Watching The D

Because it's the law here. It's to make sure people who immigrate to Quebec will send their kid to French school, thus making sure that every second generation immigrant will be fairly well integrated into the culture and such.

On the other hand, French Quebecers CANNOT send their kids to English school in Elementary or High School.

Now, it was made for immigrants from the middle east, and from the ex-european communist states. They made provisions so that English Quebecers and Canadians can send their kids to English school freely. All other immigrants, even Americans or Brits, must go to French school. I think in the same reform, they flushed Religion from school to make sure all immigrants could blend in as good as possible.

Now, that last part has been cut in pieces by various lobbies, so now all religious symbols are allowed in school, EXCEPT Christian ones. Just in the spirit of being fair and all that. *Scratches Head*

Maybe they oughta tweak this poo-poo a little.

Anyways, In Carbonneau's case, he wanted to send his kid to English school. Carbo's French, so his kid had to go to French school. The law's the law, for everyone.

In Shanahan's case, he was raised and educated in English in Canada. So his kid can go to school in English in Quebec. The kids must have double citizenship by virtue of Shanahan being Canadian.

Old
09-17-2006, 02:49 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Because it's the law here. It's to make sure people who immigrate to Quebec will send their kid to French school, thus making sure that every second generation immigrant will be fairly well integrated into the culture and such.

On the other hand, French Quebecers CANNOT send their kids to English school in Elementary or High School.

Now, it was made for immigrants from the middle east, and from the ex-european communist states. They made provisions so that English Quebecers and Canadians can send their kids to English school freely. All other immigrants, even Americans or Brits, must go to French school. I think in the same reform, they flushed Religion from school to make sure all immigrants could blend in as good as possible.

Now, that last part has been cut in pieces by various lobbies, so now all religious symbols are allowed in school, EXCEPT Christian ones. Just in the spirit of being fair and all that. *Scratches Head*

Maybe they oughta tweak this poo-poo a little.

Anyways, In Carbonneau's case, he wanted to send his kid to English school. Carbo's French, so his kid had to go to French school. The law's the law, for everyone.

In Shanahan's case, he was raised and educated in English in Canada. So his kid can go to school in English in Quebec. The kids must have double citizenship by virtue of Shanahan being Canadian.
interesting read

thanks for the info

Old
09-17-2006, 03:06 AM
Montrealer

Not to get into a big debate here, but I *think* (without looking it up) Phil's wrong on that issue.

I believe parents can send kids to private school in whatever language they want (French or English) in Quebec, it's the public system where the rules regarding parental citizenship (Canadian?) and education (English?) is the criteria for going into the English system.

The reason I think it's this way was the huge fight by some Francophone parents who had sent their kids to English private school for Grade 1 and then used that to send their kids to English public schools for the rest of their time (since the kids had gone to an English school, that made them eligible for the English system)... essentially pay for one year of English private school and then get to use the public system for "free" for the rest.

A loophole that was closed by legislation (Bill 104?) (now English private school confers no additional rights to go into the English system)... thus a court fight by those Francophone parents that went (is going?) up to the Supreme Court, if I'm not mistaken.

Edit: http://www.selwyn.ca/admission/Eligibility.lasso

That kind of covers it... Selwyn, for example, does not require the "Certificate of Eligibility" that Anglo-Canadians need to go into the English school system for K through 6, because their elementary school receives zero government subsidies... but their high school does, so the Certificate is required.

Before Bill 104, I think that meant Francophone kids who would not get the Certificate could go to Selwyn from K to 6... since the majority of their education to this point was English they would be eligible for a Certificate to go on to any English high school (or continue at Selwyn) (and their siblings as well).

Now, that's not possible; the kid will then have to enter the French system or find a completely private English high school, and the siblings don't get anything either.

Last edited by Montrealer: 09-17-2006 at 03:13 AM.
Montrealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2006, 03:57 AM
les Habs

Big deal. I'm still annoyed that Phillie's GM is the only with balls enough to make a RFA offer. Besides, I'd rather have had Gagne.

les Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2006, 08:04 AM
digitalmonkey*

Is it at all possible that he just didn't want to play for the Montreal Canadiens and was trying to be diplomatic about it.....hmmmmm

digitalmonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote