HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Carey Price Discussion Thread (part 2)

Closed Thread

Old
04-30-2013, 04:56 PM
overlords
Be quiet and drive

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
Exactly...do you hear the Kings fans whining like some habs fans...probably not...

Just relax guys, Price is on our side...
You'd have to find a kings fan first.

Old
04-30-2013, 05:03 PM
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post

The poll was done by the Eastern Conference coaches. And it was taken after the TO blowout. And in another poll (this one by the players) Price ranked top five (I think it was 4th) in goalies that are the hardest to score against in the NHL.

Those are the guys who coach and play against us. They have some credibilty don't they?
I know full well what that poll was. You should go read the thread on the main boards when the results were known. In the first page of the thread 75% of the post were about how people didn't understand why Price was picked. It was genuine shock from everyone. I'm sure you know this too. My best guess is that no one understood how the habs got from last in the conference to top 2 battling with the pens (at the time the poll was conducted) and figured Price was the difference maker. Which I don't find to be true but you obviously disagree. I actually think Price has been worse than last season.

A couple of nuances:

#1. That poll was about eastern coaches picking eastern players. There was a separate vote for players in the west.

#2. I recently read an article where Claude Julien said he delegated parts of the job to his assistant because the schedule was too crazy. I read an article where Therrien split the 14 teams in the east to follow and know to his assistants. The truth is that coaches, they haven't seen all games from all players. I suspect that a lot of them go by what they have seen in the current season. What they have seen is whatever games they watched to study the opponent and whatever team they faced.

#3 That poll was conducted right after the TO game, the first of many terrible games by Price. It also doesn't include Lundqvist end of season push.

#4 We don't know exactly how many pts were awarded for 1st place and 2nd place. And we don't know who voted for who. For all we know Price got the edge based on the number of 2nd place votes he got while other coaches voted for their own guy.

#5 Only 12 of the 15 eastern coaches voted.

#6 These things are voted on reputation and Price enjoys a good reputation because of many different factors none of which are results based. Most of which are potential based.

Finally, I guarantee you that Price will not receive any votes for the vezina from anyone. I guaranteed it at the time the poll's results were known and I am guaranteeing it now.

Last edited by Des Louise: 04-30-2013 at 05:08 PM.
Old
04-30-2013, 05:08 PM
optimus2861

Quote:
Originally Posted by the View Post
Yeah...we already tried that in the 2009 playoffs when Uncle Bob was stubborn enough to not even let Jaroslav Halak play one game against Boston and we all know how that turned out.
Sheesh, we scored 6 goals in 4 games that year and just plain stunk the joint out. Ain't no goalie winning a series with support like that. Anyone hanging those four losses on Price's head isn't rational.

Old
04-30-2013, 05:10 PM
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
Exactly...do you hear the Kings fans whining like some habs fans...probably not...

Just relax guys, Price is on our side...
If our goalie was Quick I would not say one word.

Quick has improved 3 seasons straight until he got his huge season and Stanley Cup. He has proven himself. Now he has a down year for good reasons. It's important to know why players under perform and why they over perform too.

When Price wins a cup and a Conn Smythe, he'll become immune to criticism from me.

Old
04-30-2013, 05:22 PM
the

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by optimus2861 View Post
Sheesh, we scored 6 goals in 4 games that year and just plain stunk the joint out. Ain't no goalie winning a series with support like that. Anyone hanging those four losses on Price's head isn't rational.
Where did I put all the blame on Price during that series? I'm fully aware the defense wasn't getting the job done either. My point is that he shouldn't have played all 4 games.

Old
04-30-2013, 05:23 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP31 View Post
Quick had a .902 save percentage this year. Is he average too?
Quick also had multiple 5 game stretches where he stopped over 90% of the shots he faced on any given night. Carey, by comparison, managed only 3 streaks of 3 games in a row with a 0.900+ SV% all season, and usually had back to back statistically poor outings between them. That's the consistency side of things.

Old
04-30-2013, 05:27 PM
CP31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Quick also had multiple 5 game stretches where he stopped over 90% of the shots he faced on any given night. Carey, by comparison, managed only 3 streaks of 3 games in a row with a 0.900+ SV% all season, and usually had back to back statistically poor outings between them. That's the consistency side of things.
Ok? The only way quick had those stats with those 5 game stretches was to have equally bad stretches.

Old
04-30-2013, 05:30 PM
habsfanatics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Which I think can be slightly attributed to accelerated schedule and perhaps Carey isn't the thoroughbred BG thought he was. I think his poor numbers could be a result of being over worked. His numbers typically get weaker towards the end of the year.

I don't think any goalie should play 65-70+ games per year. How many cup winners played 70 games or more? I think Price should be at around 60 games.

Old
04-30-2013, 05:37 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

vCash: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post

Quick has improved 3 seasons straight until he got his huge season and Stanley Cup. He has proven himself. Now he has a down year for good reasons. It's important to know why players under perform and why they over perform too.

When Price wins a cup and a Conn Smythe, he'll become immune to criticism from me.
You just have to stop man.....you're way too much in my head. Though, go on....it refrains me from posting on that subject, which is surely a good news from a lot of people...Only 1 hater is enough...

Old
04-30-2013, 05:43 PM
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
You just have to stop man.....you're way too much in my head. Though, go on....it refrains me from posting on that subject, which is surely a good news from a lot of people...Only 1 hater is enough...
This is kind of a shame though... I love reading your posts so I'm missing out by posting myself. Dilemmas, dilemmas !

Old
04-30-2013, 05:46 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP31 View Post
Ok? The only way quick had those stats with those 5 game stretches was to have equally bad stretches.
Actually, he simply had more games down in the "mortal" range of 0.920-0.950 and fewer games in the "exceptional" 0.960-shutout range. On the flip side, I think he got yanked less often than Price. The crazy thing is that the Kings only gave Quick enough goal support to win one game (out of 15) in which he surrendered 3+ goals. Price, on the other hand, let in 3+ goals 18 times but still has 6 wins to show for it. Sound familiar?

Old
04-30-2013, 06:06 PM
habtastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Team Needed View Post
You play Price period.

Lose the first two games? You play Price game three.

Demers having faith in Roy was why Montreal won the Cup in 93.
Agree.

People really tend to forget this very true fact (along with Roy losing his last 5 or so starts to end the season while Red Light won both his down the stretch). Not only that, but (although I think Price was superb in 2011), Thomas was also down 0-2 that year and played the way Carey would have been abused relentlessly by. I wonder if boston fans had a meltdown then or even in the SCF after the first two games. Remember when we went down 1-3 to Boston off that Kovy/Souray screwup? Theo shut the door the rest of the way. (Reminder: Carey also WON a game 7 against a good team.) What happens, happens, but people need to stop freaking out before. I feel like because subconsciously people know just how good Carey is, that they are even more worried. Like having more to lose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chfan View Post
Mario Tremblay just said on french radio that Price's career in Montreal could be in jeopardy if he doesn't keep his team in every single game this postseason because the fans are starting to be impatient.

What?
Self-fulfilling prophecy if everyone is trying to force feed this line of thinking to the misinformed public. After the playoffs, Carey will still be an amazing goalie with stats matching the best in the past based on age. He could (but won't) have a horrible playoffs and still go on to be THAT goalie, that he was projected to be. Anyway, as Em Ancien said, below...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Em Ancien View Post
Coming from him, that is absolutely priceless.
HAHAHAH! And there's the obvious pun in there to boot!

Old
04-30-2013, 08:48 PM
BrimStone64

I would be trading Price for a top pick....Oilers 7th overall? Select a Nichushkin, who's likely best player in draft.

Take the 6.5 million Price makes and sign a good goalie...Backstrom, Smith there's a bunch of good goalies available. Thomas, I'd even try for Luongo.

Old
04-30-2013, 08:54 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
I know full well what that poll was. You should go read the thread on the main boards when the results were known. In the first page of the thread 75% of the post were about how people didn't understand why Price was picked. It was genuine shock from everyone.
The results were announced after he'd gone into a ditch. Not surprising that people were shocked.

Again, the coaches think he's great. The players in the league think he's great. The only people who don't seem to think he's great are the folks who rip on him in this forum.
Quote:
I'm sure you know this too. My best guess is that no one understood how the habs got from last in the conference to top 2 battling with the pens (at the time the poll was conducted) and figured Price was the difference maker. Which I don't find to be true but you obviously disagree. I actually think Price has been worse than last season.

A couple of nuances:

#1. That poll was about eastern coaches picking eastern players. There was a separate vote for players in the west.

#2. I recently read an article where Claude Julien said he delegated parts of the job to his assistant because the schedule was too crazy. I read an article where Therrien split the 14 teams in the east to follow and know to his assistants. The truth is that coaches, they haven't seen all games from all players. I suspect that a lot of them go by what they have seen in the current season. What they have seen is whatever games they watched to study the opponent and whatever team they faced.

#3 That poll was conducted right after the TO game, the first of many terrible games by Price. It also doesn't include Lundqvist end of season push.

#4 We don't know exactly how many pts were awarded for 1st place and 2nd place. And we don't know who voted for who. For all we know Price got the edge based on the number of 2nd place votes he got while other coaches voted for their own guy.

#5 Only 12 of the 15 eastern coaches voted.

#6 These things are voted on reputation and Price enjoys a good reputation because of many different factors none of which are results based. Most of which are potential based.

Finally, I guarantee you that Price will not receive any votes for the vezina from anyone. I guaranteed it at the time the poll's results were known and I am guaranteeing it now.
Really? Wow, I guess he really does suck then. If he was only considered the best in the East then we've got the wrong guy... And only 12 of 15 coaches voted? Geez, I guess that totally invalidates everything and we should just ignore the player poll as well.

Come on man. Nobody denies he went off the rails at the end, but the doom and gloom and folks saying that we should trade him is ludicrous. The coaches and players who are giving their opinion based on how he plays. It's not based on potential it's based on their experience.

You can sit there and try to nitpick the polls but it's just that... nitpicking and grasping at straws. Again, save percentage is the best single stat that we have to measure goalies but there's more to the games than just stats. Brian Elliot sits behind a ridiculous defense and puts up insane numbers. Does that make him as good as Lundqvist even if his numbers are better?

The coaches and players see Price as elite and I agree with them.

Also, nobody is arguing that he should win the Vezina...

Last edited by Lafleurs Guy: 04-30-2013 at 09:02 PM.
Old
04-30-2013, 08:56 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats86 View Post
I would be trading Price for a top pick....Oilers 7th overall? Select a Nichushkin, who's likely best player in draft.

Take the 6.5 million Price makes and sign a good goalie...Backstrom, Smith there's a bunch of good goalies available. Thomas, I'd even try for Luongo.
Luongo?

?????????????????

Old
04-30-2013, 10:21 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:

Just a horrible idea..
I've been saying these past two drafts that we should really pick a goalie just in case. We need to do it this year.

Old
04-30-2013, 10:55 PM
Traitor8

LOL at people saying if Price is the reason we lose the first 2, we should throw him back in there for game 3 ...

it's playoff time. It's not tryouts! It's not practice! I don't want to lose another post-season because of Price!

It's time for the golden boy to step up! He got drafted in 2005, it's 2013 now!

Old
04-30-2013, 10:59 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traitor8 View Post
LOL at people saying if Price is the reason we lose the first 2, we should throw him back in there for game 3 ...

it's playoff time. It's not tryouts! It's not practice! I don't want to lose another post-season because of Price!

It's time for the golden boy to step up! He got drafted in 2005, it's 2013 now!
We talkin' bout practice?

Last edited by Lafleurs Guy: 04-30-2013 at 11:28 PM.
Old
05-01-2013, 01:10 AM
Aceekay

I hope nobody from other boards come read ths thread, cause this is quite embarrassing...

Old
05-01-2013, 01:13 AM
Aceekay

Quote:

You would trade price for nichuskin?

Old
05-01-2013, 02:21 AM
Bieber fever

Price is the highest paid player on the roster. At 6,5M$ i expect nothing but great goaltending in the playoff. If he chokes, imo he's should be done in mtl.

Old
05-01-2013, 06:00 AM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bieber fever View Post
Price is the highest paid player on the roster. At 6,5M$ i expect nothing but great goaltending in the playoff. If he chokes, imo he's should be done in mtl.
According to many he has been great (I disagree). I think he has much to prove in the playoffs. That said he will be around for a while and rightfully so. He will get better. I just don't think he's "great"

Thanks,

Old
05-01-2013, 06:44 AM
optimus2861

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traitor8 View Post
"Another"? When was the first?!

2008 We won a round and Price pitched a game 7 SO. We couldn't friggin buy a goal in round 2.
2009 We stunk the joint out and the goaltending didn't matter.
2010 Price dropped the ball and Halak picked it up but that doesn't count as a "lost post-season".
2011 We lost a 7-game OT series but Price was great.

Frig, I told myself I was done with these stupid threads and I'm getting sucked back in.

Old
05-01-2013, 06:56 AM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:

Yeah, because when Roy won cups and conn smythes with the Habs.. he didn't get jeered by the Habs faithful when he played bad.

Face it, our fan base is ****ing stupid when it comes to goalies.

Old
05-01-2013, 07:35 AM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Yeah, because when Roy won cups and conn smythes with the Habs.. he didn't get jeered by the Habs faithful when he played bad.

Face it, our fan base is ****ing stupid when it comes to goalies.
Stop it. The comparisons are downright silly. You can call the fanbase stupid for how they criticize goalies, but you should also call them stupid for how they prop up goalies to god-like status. There are many who criticize Price and there are many who create excuse after excuse for him.

Instead of saying he has had a down season or that he hasn't been all that great in the playoffs....I'm reading comparisons to Roy and how the fans are mean to goalies. Roy is a god here. Halak is a god here. It's simple. If you play well you will get the golden key to god-like status. If Price stands on his head through a few series and is the reason why we win games...he will be considered a god here...until he stinks it up. That's how it is here. Everything is exagerated.

I think Habs fans are downright silly, frankly... But it's more so because we go to the extreme with everything. Either a player is a god or a bum. No in between. Thoughts on Price are split. There are a group of fans that think he's the chosen one and can do no wrong. There are others who think he sucks and should be traded. I don't agree with either side.

Closed Thread