HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Who should we draft?

Closed Thread

Old
04-30-2013, 02:52 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OurGocIsAnAwesomeGoc View Post
While I'm 100 percent on board with drafting a forward (and I get the impression that Barkov is who the Predators want, even ahead of some 'flashier' names that could fall)

I would like to see the bulk of remaining picks spent on defensemen. The cupboard is getting pretty bare there, it would be nice to find a couple in the 3rd\4th rounds that turn into NHL players with second pairing upside.
Completely agree.

Old
04-30-2013, 03:12 PM
maplepred

Quote:
While I'm 100 percent on board with drafting a forward (and I get the impression that Barkov is who the Predators want, even ahead of some 'flashier' names that could fall)

I would like to see the bulk of remaining picks spent on defensemen. The cupboard is getting pretty bare there, it would be nice to find a couple in the 3rd\4th rounds that turn into NHL players with second pairing upside.
Totally agree!
Get a forward with the high pick and then the bulk of the picks remaining should be defense.

We have leipsic, salomaki, budish, cehlin, scissons, Watson, beck, stepan, forsberg, aberg, shalla, vesey, and puustinen all coming up with potential.

Defensively we really only have,

Ekholm, bitetto, noonan, and Ellis coming up.

We don't really need goaltending either with smith, hellberg and rinne still with years remaining on his deal.

Old
04-30-2013, 03:13 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top 6 Spaling View Post
Appearently Poile said this morning that he really like Nich and had "lots of converstaions with his agent". "His dream is the NHL". "Hard to pass up if he is available"

NO NO NO NO NO ABORT
I actually like to hear that from Poile. If he wouldn't consider Nicushkin, he would be operating from a fear standpoint not an objective GM standpoint.

In terms of who to pick, who knows? I just hope Poile and our scouts do. This franchise has been devoid of elite offensive talent for too long.

Last edited by dulzhok: 04-30-2013 at 03:21 PM.
Old
04-30-2013, 03:17 PM
ChesterCopperpot1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Duke View Post
That's a rather stiff expectation, could you point out Chelyabinsk? Would you expect the average 18 year old Tennessean to?
No I wouldn't. Think you misunderstood my point.

I don't think he grew up dreaming of playing in only the NHL...most Russians don't know Nashville has a franchise. I would t expect them to. However I bet you most Russians know about the Wings, Penguins, Hawks, etc...

It was not a shot at him not knowing where something was on a map. I was making a statement that I don't think he really cares to play here because its not a big hockey market.

Old
04-30-2013, 03:34 PM
Iron Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandyfan84 View Post
No I wouldn't. Think you misunderstood my point.

I don't think he grew up dreaming of playing in only the NHL...most Russians don't know Nashville has a franchise. I would t expect them to. However I bet you most Russians know about the Wings, Penguins, Hawks, etc...

It was not a shot at him not knowing where something was on a map. I was making a statement that I don't think he really cares to play here because its not a big hockey market.
I understand what you are getting at, I just don't think it's much to be concerned with. Most players that dream of playing in the NHL never get an opportunity to play for a team that was their favorite. Certainly, the Preds have had their fair share of foreign players, who likely knew nothing of the city or state, and were more than happy to play there. Until something is specifically mentioned to the contrary, this shouldn't be a concern.

Old
04-30-2013, 03:41 PM
Top 6 Spaling

I really hope we get a 2nd to draft a dman. We have a very bare cupboard there. Lets restock a bit.

Old
04-30-2013, 04:30 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomast View Post
Here's some clips off all shifts on a FEL game. It's not highlight reel but every single shift in a game. Player isolation cam? He's the one with golden helmet #16. Remember that he is just 17 playing against men in one of the best leagues in the world.

period 1:

Period 2:

period 3:

It's easy to see where the Thornton comparisons come from for Barkov. He's a big body who reads the game exceptionally well and has some really good puck skills. His goal in the second was a nice piece of coordination, although I like to think an NHL-level goaltender stops that. He also looks slow and very weak on the puck for his size. Some of that can be coached out of him as he develops. I could see him being converted to a winger, especially if Wilson is sliding over to center.

I'm not convinced, based on that sampling, that he's NHL-ready out of the box, but the tools are definitely there for him to be a special player. He wouldn't be a bad selection at all.

Old
04-30-2013, 04:33 PM
predfan98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Duke View Post
I understand what you are getting at, I just don't think it's much to be concerned with. Most players that dream of playing in the NHL never get an opportunity to play for a team that was their favorite. Certainly, the Preds have had their fair share of foreign players, who likely knew nothing of the city or state, and were more than happy to play there. Until something is specifically mentioned to the contrary, this shouldn't be a concern.
well, I imagine all Russian players probably know that Rad chose to leave here...........I'd say that that is a major concern.

Old
04-30-2013, 04:50 PM
Jarnberg

Quote:
Poile said he was told his comment last night that he was 90 percent sure they'd take a forward at 4, "was the wrong thing to say"
https://twitter.com/JoshuaCooper/sta...46207333904384

My guess is Trotz is told him that so we can get another defensemen

Old
04-30-2013, 05:12 PM
Iron Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan98 View Post
well, I imagine all Russian players probably know that Rad chose to leave here...........I'd say that that is a major concern.
Seems a bit of a stretch. I know Radulov is Mr. KHL, but this assumes a level of influence that I'm skeptical he would have on the majority of Russian players. Alexander Frolov wasn't all that well treated by the Kings in his final couple seasons in LA, but that had no subsequent effect on Slava Voynov. I think we're being a bit jumpy at Russian shadows.

Old
04-30-2013, 05:15 PM
CantbeatzPekka
Weber/Jones/Josi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
https://twitter.com/JoshuaCooper/sta...46207333904384

My guess is Trotz is told him that so we can get another defensemen
I can see us all over hyping a forward in this draft only for Poile to get nurse or some other D pick we shouldn't take.

EDIT: if anything I think maybe he was saying he shouldnt have said anything like that because now it can possibly hurt their chance of trading it to a team who wanted say nurse or someone else...

Old
04-30-2013, 05:31 PM
maplepred

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantbeatzPekka View Post
I can see us all over hyping a forward in this draft only for Poile to get nurse or some other D pick we shouldn't take.

EDIT: if anything I think maybe he was saying he shouldnt have said anything like that because now it can possibly hurt their chance of trading it to a team who wanted say nurse or someone else...

I agree with this, probably because you don't want anyone to know what your going to do.

My question is, who told him this??

Old
04-30-2013, 05:47 PM
Gnashville
Never trade Weber

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantbeatzPekka View Post

No one should ever tip their hand in poker. Poile did just that and he just seemed mad to be at the lottery draw to begin with.

Old
04-30-2013, 07:42 PM
truefan8993

Does anyone think there is a chance that Poile trades one of our young prospects for a late first round pick?

Old
04-30-2013, 07:54 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by truefan8993 View Post
Does anyone think there is a chance that Poile trades one of our young prospects for a late first round pick?
All depends on what prospect and what # pick.

I think he'll try.

Old
04-30-2013, 11:36 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
wouldnt it be nice if whoever we end up taking at 4 ends up significantly better than whoever Tampa drafts at 3 and it will end up being a blessing that we beat Calgary....

Old
04-30-2013, 11:43 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by maplepred View Post
I agree with this, probably because you don't want anyone to know what your going to do.

My question is, who told him this??
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnashville View Post
No one should ever tip their hand in poker. Poile did just that and he just seemed mad to be at the lottery draw to begin with.
oh for goodness sake.... the top 5 in the draft are Jones and 4 forwards, and everyone on the planet knows Jones is going #1 to Colorado.... so its not like Poile is giving away state secrets to say we will probably draft a forward.

Old
04-30-2013, 11:48 PM
thecloser

Aleksander Barkov will be a predator

if he isn't available either Lindholm or Nischukin

Old
04-30-2013, 11:50 PM
maplepred

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecloser View Post
Aleksander Barkov will be a predator

if he isn't available either Lindholm or Nischukin
If he isn't available at four then we are taking either mackinnon or drouin, whichever got passed on to take barkov.

Old
05-01-2013, 07:52 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

More and more it looks lik MacK is dropping and potentially, Zadarov or Nurse jumping into the top 5. Nashville could have the choice of MacK or Barkov

Old
05-01-2013, 07:56 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
More and more it looks lik MacK is dropping and potentially, Zadarov or Nurse jumping into the top 5. Nashville could have the choice of MacK or Barkov
Mackinnon will not drop past 2. Florida loves him.

Drouin is a possibility if TB takes Nicushkin or Barkov, but even that is a slim possibility.

The highest I can see Nurse going is 5.

Old
05-01-2013, 08:29 AM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Mackinnon will not drop past 2. Florida loves him.

Drouin is a possibility if TB takes Nicushkin or Barkov, but even that is a slim possibility.

The highest I can see Nurse going is 5.
The question as I see it is, if Nicshkin gets picked early and bumps one of Drouin or Barkov to us sitting at No. 4...do you pick the center because we truly lack a No. 1 center or do you take the dynamic winger because a dynamic scoring winger can always be used...?

Old
05-01-2013, 08:37 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
The question as I see it is, if Nicshkin gets picked early and bumps one of Drouin or Barkov to us sitting at No. 4...do you pick the center because we truly lack a No. 1 center or do you take the dynamic winger because a dynamic scoring winger can always be used...?
Am I right in thinking what good is a #1 C if he doesnt have wingers who can score?

We need goal scoring above all else... if the #1 C can score 25-30 himself and he will allow Forsberg(and/or Wilson) to be a 30+ scorer, then get the C

But if there is any chance the the C will be nothing more than Legwand 2.0, then get the scoring winger

Old
05-01-2013, 08:45 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
I could be wrong about this, but someone I trust told me yesterday that the Predators have Barkov rated #2 in the entire draft, and if he's there, that's who they're taking. Now, I don't know if that's "number 2 forward" or "number two overall," but this is apparently someone they're pretty excited to get. I'm not sure they would take Drouin over him, at this point.

Old
05-01-2013, 08:56 AM
utkpred

If Drouin is there somehow at #4 and we take Barkov, I don't understand that pick. Forsberg can easily play center equally if not better than Barkov moving forward and Drouin is an absolute game changer on the outside that shows shades of Kane/Datsyuk with his handling and scoring ability - something that this franchise hasn't seen.

Closed Thread