HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Draft Part 3 (Flyers own the 11th overall pick)

Closed Thread

Old
04-30-2013, 09:11 PM
Mgkibbles

vCash: 500
We need to find a way to get Nurse or Ristolainen. Seems pretty simple to me.

Old
04-30-2013, 11:33 PM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post
Grigorenko, yes, but Koekkoek wasn't in CSS's top-10 among NA skaters--so the fact that he was picked 10th isn't exactly a fall. In fact, I seem to remember many of us hoping he would be there when we picked.
Slater moved up as the draft approached. He started out around 22 or so and steadily climbed as high as like 13.

Old
04-30-2013, 11:37 PM
fauxflex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgkibbles View Post
I question Ristolainen's upside, particularly on the offensive end and prefer a more dynamic offensive player like Nurse or Pulock for the Flyers...and Zadorov's combination of immense size, good skating, raw skill and good attitude are hard to pass up. He's only just starting to figure things out and has decent production while being a force to be reckoned with on D. This dude could be the next Chara. Imagine him working with Prongs and Hatcher? I'd have to say, at this point, I'd probably take Zadorov if there, then Nurse and then Pulock, before I took Ristolainen. Morrissey is another interesting D man to me but it's too much of a reach at 11...

Old
04-30-2013, 11:54 PM
Krishna

Zadorov noted great player

Should take him

Old
04-30-2013, 11:58 PM
Larry44
10 - 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
Slater moved up as the draft approached. He started out around 22 or so and steadily climbed as high as like 13.
KooKoo's stock dropped because he missed half the year with shoulder surgery. Tampa took a gamble and he missed half this year with another surgery to the same shoulder.

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/jrh...191447666.html

It's very possible he never pans out, as you can't play with one arm...

Old
05-01-2013, 12:01 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgkibbles View Post
Holmgren will sign this guy out of retirement if we don't get him

Quote:
Reijo Ruotsalainen
Ice hockey player
Reijo Ruotsalainen is a Finnish retired ice hockey defenceman. He was twice named Finland's top defenceman, and won two Stanley Cups with the Edmonton Oilers, in 1987 and 1990. Wikipedia
Born: April 1, 1960 (age 53), Oulu
Career start: 1975
Career end: 1998
Weight: 165 lbs (74.8 kg)

Old
05-01-2013, 12:41 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
KooKoo's stock dropped because he missed half the year with shoulder surgery. Tampa took a gamble and he missed half this year with another surgery to the same shoulder.

Too bad so sad for Tampa......

KooKoo's name doesn't really sound NHL-like anyway......not sure how NHL play by play announcers would say it with a straight face.

Emrick: " KooKoo..... HAMMERS ONE!"

Then again Tootoo is not much better....

Old
05-01-2013, 01:01 AM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:

No doubt that his stock has since fallen, but I remember that after he got a clean bill of health at the draft combine, his stock did rise to the point that he was no longer being discussed in the region of the Flyers pick. Yes, he ended up going even higher than he climbed on the final rankings, but he was absolutely a riser in the weeks leading up to the draft. Hampus Lindholm was the same deal after he tore up the combine in combination with a strong season.

Similarly this year, I guarantee that you can take these final rankings today and the mock drafts around the combine will look different than they would if you did them today. People will over analyse the film and rankings will shift... in the case of some players, dramatically.

Old
05-01-2013, 01:31 AM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:
Jack, in fairness, all mock drafts, and our speculation, are questionable.

The Flyers' scouts have seen these guys and until draft day we won't know who they REALLY like, assuming he's available when they pick.

Sometimes the guy we want gets picked earlier, so instead of Sanguinetti, we got stuck with Girouz.

Last year we all wanted Maatta, but the scouts liked Laughton. So far it looks like they may be right (if Lappy's reports that other teams' scouts think he's the best player in the O are to be believed).

Whatever happens, don't be surprised if the guy we take is the one guy no one thought we would...

Signed, Old Flyer Fan who wasted too much time pouring over draft previews only to have the Flyers go off the board/trade up/trade down/trade the pick altogether.
to go along with Sanguinetti the Flyers also liked Trevor Lewis who went 17th. I heard somewhere if still was on the board they would of taken him over "whats his name"

Old
05-01-2013, 03:39 AM
BillDineen

There are usually surprises and hopefully someone takes a Thomas Hickey ahead of us, but the below is what I think is expected to happen based on needs and opinions on this board.

1- Avs - Jones
2- FLD - MacKinnon
3- TBL - Drouin
4- NSH - Barkov
5- CAR - Nichushkin/Monahan - winger or two way center - some say JR would pass on Nichushkin
6- CLG - Lindholm - center (finally)
7- EDM - Nurse/Ristolainen/Monahan - D or two way center or trade down (Lazar) - Risto could play immediately
8- BUF - Nichushkin/Monahan - two way center or W for Grigs
9- NJD - Shinkaruk - offense or usual BPA (with possibility of going off the board)
10- DAL - Nurse/Ristolainen or Zadorov - I wonder if their new GM would take Nishushkin? - Right handed Risto might be preferred
11- PHI - BPA

I think McKenzie's list is usually the most accurate (poll of scouts) and he has both Ristolainen and Zadorov ahead of Nurse and Shinkaruk. I think it is entirely possible that all three of Nurse, Ristolainen and Zadorov are gone by the pick with either Shinkaruk or Nichushkin falling. I would love Fucale taken in the top 10, but I think that is a pipe dream.

Last edited by BillDineen: 05-01-2013 at 03:52 AM.
Old
05-01-2013, 04:14 AM
PhilaFlyers

I feel like we can't really go wrong with this pick. A lot of good d-men like Nurse, Rist, and Zadorov and I also wouldn't mind them taking a guy like Mantha or Hartman. Plus there's always the possibility that one of the top guys slide.

Old
05-01-2013, 05:38 AM
dats81

If Nurse is off the table, i'd pick Zadorov.
This guy is huge but skates even smoother than Coburn and has untapped offensive potential. He could step right in.

Pulock might be the best natural goal scorer from the blue line - he has a laser of a slap shot. But he looks small and will take more time to develop.

Old
05-01-2013, 06:09 AM
Psuhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by dats81 View Post
If Nurse is off the table, i'd pick Zadorov.
This guy is huge but skates even smoother than Coburn and has untapped offensive potential. He could step right in.

Pulock might be the best natural goal scorer from the blue line - he has a laser of a slap shot. But he looks small and will take more time to develop.
Nurse and Zadorov are much further behind in their development than Pulock according to the scouts. The reason they are ranked so high is the assumption that their offensive games will continue to develop. They are both pretty raw offensively though the sky is the limit for both.

Personally, with the Flyers historical lack of patience and bad luck with development, I would go with a guys who's offense is a little more refined at this point such as Ristolainen or Pulock. My biggest fear would be that the Flyers draft Nurse or Zadorov and end up with a more physical Coburn (which isn't a terrible thing but not what this team needs).

Old
05-01-2013, 07:50 AM
RoDu
Shagga likes axes

we just need a good defender or two to fall to us, time for some character assassination anyone?

Old
05-01-2013, 08:00 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fauxflex View Post
I question Ristolainen's upside, particularly on the offensive end and prefer a more dynamic offensive player like Nurse or Pulock for the Flyers...and Zadorov's combination of immense size, good skating, raw skill and good attitude are hard to pass up. He's only just starting to figure things out and has decent production while being a force to be reckoned with on D. This dude could be the next Chara. Imagine him working with Prongs and Hatcher? I'd have to say, at this point, I'd probably take Zadorov if there, then Nurse and then Pulock, before I took Ristolainen. Morrissey is another interesting D man to me but it's too much of a reach at 11...
I do question where the "he has a low upside" thing has come from. I have looked at tons of scouting reports (that i can find online obviously) and have never seen this mentioned. Now i do see that he is a safe player many times. One of those 25 min a night guys who can play on the pp, pk, and top opponents. I dont understand how people dont want a player like that. I know he does have the size like Zadarov (he is only 2 inches shorter then him, people make it sound like its 5-6) but he has a tremendous shot. Dont know much about Pulock but Risto's shot is a main attribute that doesnt get pointed out.

Old
05-01-2013, 08:37 AM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
I do question where the "he has a low upside" thing has come from. I have looked at tons of scouting reports (that i can find online obviously) and have never seen this mentioned. Now i do see that he is a safe player many times. One of those 25 min a night guys who can play on the pp, pk, and top opponents. I dont understand how people dont want a player like that. I know he does have the size like Zadarov (he is only 2 inches shorter then him, people make it sound like its 5-6) but he has a tremendous shot. Dont know much about Pulock but Risto's shot is a main attribute that doesnt get pointed out.
Yeah, I think I'm as guilty as any for parroting it.

But, to be fair, I think there's cause for such an assumption. After all, nearly everyone acknowledges that Ristolainen is the 2nd most NHL ready defensive prospect, that he's got a very good package of offensive skills to go along with above average mobility and enough of a mean-streak. If scouts believed he had true #1 potential, why wouldn't he be a clear-cut favorite to go top-5?

That said, I'm more convinced every day that he's the best option after the "Big Four" in this draft for the Flyers--including Nurse. From what I've read, he's well equipped to step in next year, particularly if Meszaros isn't ready to go (or gets hurt again).

Timonen-Schenn
Meszaros/Gustafsson-Coburn
Grossmann-Ristolainen

I'd love to see him paired with Timonen--but I'm not sure we have enough puck movers to make that work (two of Coburn, Schenn, and Grossmann would have to be paired, assuming everyone is healthy).

Old
05-01-2013, 08:59 AM
Appleyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
Too bad so sad for Tampa......

KooKoo's name doesn't really sound NHL-like anyway......not sure how NHL play by play announcers would say it with a straight face.

Emrick: " KooKoo..... HAMMERS ONE!"

Then again Tootoo is not much better....
It is a pretty funny name... it actually means Cuckoo in dutch.

It is pronounced koo-cook... kind of.

Old
05-01-2013, 09:15 AM
Mgkibbles

Quote:
I like Zadorov, but I'm still not sold on him offensively.

Old
05-01-2013, 09:21 AM
Mgkibbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psuhockey View Post
Nurse and Zadorov are much further behind in their development than Pulock according to the scouts. The reason they are ranked so high is the assumption that their offensive games will continue to develop. They are both pretty raw offensively though the sky is the limit for both.

Personally, with the Flyers historical lack of patience and bad luck with development, I would go with a guys who's offense is a little more refined at this point such as Ristolainen or Pulock. My biggest fear would be that the Flyers draft Nurse or Zadorov and end up with a more physical Coburn (which isn't a terrible thing but not what this team needs).
I think Nurse's offense is already pretty good. But I do agree with everything else. Ristolainen and Pulock are two guys I really like, especially Ristolainen. Just remember everyone, you can teach a player where to stand, but you can't teach hands

Old
05-01-2013, 09:43 AM
FlyingPhilly

Quote:
I am confused. You question Risto's offensive upside when he already has above average skills there, but don't question Zadorov's offensive upside since he hasn't really shown anything offensively and is being used in more of a shutdown role? I don't get it.

Also, Risto has good skating, skills, and size as well, plus he is a right-handed shot.

Old
05-01-2013, 09:44 AM
Jtown

I was going over some old CSS rankings and every now and then you will find a crazy outlier such as P.K. Subban being ranked 102 . Giroux was like 36th as well.

Out of this current css rankings i could see Nischuskin falling , especially with that 2 year commitment to the khl. WIth that being said if he is there at 11 do u pick him over Zadorov?

Old
05-01-2013, 09:59 AM
Mgkibbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
I was going over some old CSS rankings and every now and then you will find a crazy outlier such as P.K. Subban being ranked 102 . Giroux was like 36th as well.

Out of this current css rankings i could see Nischuskin falling , especially with that 2 year commitment to the khl. WIth that being said if he is there at 11 do u pick him over Zadorov?
Yes.

Old
05-01-2013, 10:00 AM
Curufinwe

I wouldn't risk the 11th pick on him.

Old
05-01-2013, 10:04 AM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
I wouldn't risk the 11th pick on him.
I dunno. He could easily end up being one of the top three or four players in the draft. I'd be tempted, but I don't think he will slide that far.

Old
05-01-2013, 10:07 AM
Krishna

Nichuskin has even said he'd like to be drafted by the flyers

He'd come over

Closed Thread