HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Carey Price Discussion Thread (part 2)

Closed Thread

Old
05-01-2013, 08:40 AM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
Stop it. The comparisons are downright silly. You can call the fanbase stupid for how they criticize goalies, but you should also call them stupid for how they prop up goalies to god-like status. There are many who criticize Price and there are many who create excuse after excuse for him.

Instead of saying he has had a down season or that he hasn't been all that great in the playoffs....I'm reading comparisons to Roy and how the fans are mean to goalies. Roy is a god here. Halak is a god here. It's simple. If you play well you will get the golden key to god-like status. If Price stands on his head through a few series and is the reason why we win games...he will be considered a god here...until he stinks it up. That's how it is here. Everything is exagerated.

I think Habs fans are downright silly, frankly... But it's more so because we go to the extreme with everything. Either a player is a god or a bum. No in between. Thoughts on Price are split. There are a group of fans that think he's the chosen one and can do no wrong. There are others who think he sucks and should be traded. I don't agree with either side.
I don't agree with either side, as well. I just put things in perspective. Price is still young for a starting NHL goaltender. He has all of the physical tool, traits and has the added benefit of being a very good puck handler. Once the mental side of his game develops completely (which is why goalies take longer to develop because it is the most mental/focus oriented position in the game) there will be no basis for a debate that he is one of the top netminders in the league.

I don't believe that there are any better options for this team out there. We have a good goalie. Any one who doubts this is an idiot and should not have their opinion taken seriously. We let Price go through the ups and downs of the seasons, the play-offs and when he makes his statement, we will be a better team for it. We're not going to get fair value in a trade, we're going to hurt ourselves more than anything trying to replace him and we have nothing in the system to push him or succeed him.

Old
05-01-2013, 08:46 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
Stop it. The comparisons are downright silly. You can call the fanbase stupid for how they criticize goalies, but you should also call them stupid for how they prop up goalies to god-like status. There are many who criticize Price and there are many who create excuse after excuse for him.

Instead of saying he has had a down season or that he hasn't been all that great in the playoffs....I'm reading comparisons to Roy and how the fans are mean to goalies. Roy is a god here. Halak is a god here. It's simple. If you play well you will get the golden key to god-like status. If Price stands on his head through a few series and is the reason why we win games...he will be considered a god here...until he stinks it up. That's how it is here. Everything is exagerated.

I think Habs fans are downright silly, frankly... But it's more so because we go to the extreme with everything. Either a player is a god or a bum. No in between. Thoughts on Price are split. There are a group of fans that think he's the chosen one and can do no wrong. There are others who think he sucks and should be traded. I don't agree with either side.
WTF are you even talking about man?

Old
05-01-2013, 09:12 AM
HabsSlappy

Trading Price would be one of the biggest mistakes this team could every make unless it is a SEVERE overpayment. Even then I don't really like the idea.

Price in his prime (which he is not there yet) will make us a contender every single season.

Old
05-01-2013, 09:16 AM
sharks9

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsSlappy View Post
Trading Price would be one of the biggest mistakes this team could every make unless it is a SEVERE overpayment. Even then I don't really like the idea.

Price in his prime (which he is not there yet) will make us a contender every single season.
Price won't be traded, management isn't that stupid.

Old
05-01-2013, 09:29 AM
Forsead

Price performances were blown out of proportions, the guy was solid all season long. There is maybe a little 2-3 games strecht he didn't play good, the rest of the losing games his team played a putrid defensive game, something we didn't saw all season long.

Playing that like comparing the Budaj card aren't taking into account the fact that he played easy matchups, minus the games against the Bruins, shich we have to give him credit for.

Old
05-01-2013, 09:29 AM
Dr Gonzo
#1 Jan Bulis Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Apparently not wanting to get rid of our goalie after a playoff series while he's 25 years of age is propping him up to god-like status.

Old
05-01-2013, 09:38 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
You're going to sit there and seriously claim to have never seen wide-spread use of phrases like "Saint Patrick" and "In Price we trust"? If elevation to a saint and direct replacement of a goalie's name for the word "God" aren't enough...

Seriously, most of the people taking issue with the discussing of the ebb and flow of Price's success on his journey towards being "the savior" (another commonly used expression) seem to BE the people who have built him up to a holy level already, and are charging people around here with blasphemy (some take the less caustic route of preaching patience, of course... see what I did there?). News flash: pointing out that this was one of his most inconsistent seasons so far performance-wise (fully recognizing that there was a stretch of the 48 game schedule where he DID bring his "A game", propelling us up the standings) does NOT imply that he should be replaced, nor does it suggest that there are likely better options readily available out there, either.

Old
05-01-2013, 09:53 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

When you bring Prices age into the mix it's a good sign you've lost the argument. The guy has 336 games played 26 in the playoffs if he isn't mentally ready now he isn't going to be. If Habs go out in the first round Bergevin needs to look at the position carefully.

Old
05-01-2013, 10:01 AM
Dr Gonzo
#1 Jan Bulis Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
When you bring Prices age into the mix it's a good sign you've lost the argument. The guy has 336 games played 26 in the playoffs if he isn't mentally ready now he isn't going to be. If Habs go out in the first round Bergevin needs to look at the position carefully.
Are you referencing me? If so, quote my post so I can address it.

Besides, there was no argument. He is 25. People saying "It's make or break!" are just impatient and short sighted.

While almost all of us are hoping he has a good series, the NHL 13 crowd seem to think he needs to win or we need to find another goalie. It's obviously not that simple, and that is just complaining to complain, since there's not many other solutions out there. Nor have I seen anyone present an alternative solution if Price "breaks" instead of "making". Know what I mean?

Old
05-01-2013, 10:01 AM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Yes. He sucks because he has 336 games experience at the age most goalies are starting their 1st or 2nd season.

Old
05-01-2013, 10:07 AM
Dr Gonzo
#1 Jan Bulis Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
I don't agree with either side, as well. I just put things in perspective. Price is still young for a starting NHL goaltender. He has all of the physical tool, traits and has the added benefit of being a very good puck handler. Once the mental side of his game develops completely (which is why goalies take longer to develop because it is the most mental/focus oriented position in the game) there will be no basis for a debate that he is one of the top netminders in the league.

I don't believe that there are any better options for this team out there. We have a good goalie. Any one who doubts this is an idiot and should not have their opinion taken seriously. We let Price go through the ups and downs of the seasons, the play-offs and when he makes his statement, we will be a better team for it. We're not going to get fair value in a trade, we're going to hurt ourselves more than anything trying to replace him and we have nothing in the system to push him or succeed him.

Can't believe that I missed this post. Well written, logical and unbiased.

Well done. I completely agree with this position.

Old
05-01-2013, 10:08 AM
Forsead

Quote:
Brodeur had 160 wins in 301 games at the same age.

He had also a 0,915 save percentage and a GAA of 2,16(team stat), while playing the majority of this at the start of the lowest scoring era of hockey, in a better and more defensive team. The cup and playoffs performance are the big difference thought, but we can't ask Price to do it alone.

Price has now 145 wins after 310 games, also he has a 0,915 save percentage and a GAA of 2,56 (again a team stat).

Price is fine, he isn't one of the team problem. I want him to step up in the playoffs tought. Also, that's comparing him with one of the best goalie of all-time and I'm not saying he is as good as Brodeur.

Last edited by Forsead: 05-01-2013 at 10:18 AM.
Old
05-01-2013, 10:14 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Gonzo View Post
Are you referencing me? If so, quote my post so I can address it.

Besides, there was no argument. He is 25. People saying "It's make or break!" are just impatient and short sighted.

While almost all of us are hoping he has a good series, the NHL 13 crowd seem to think he needs to win or we need to find another goalie. It's obviously not that simple, and that is just complaining to complain, since there's not many other solutions out there. Nor have I seen anyone present an alternative solution if Price "breaks" instead of "making". Know what I mean?
I wasn't singling anyone out just pointing out the fact that age usually relates to experience but since Price's career has given him plenty of experience already age is not relevant.

Old
05-01-2013, 10:19 AM
Dr Gonzo
#1 Jan Bulis Fan

Quote:
I wasn't singling anyone out just pointing out the fact that age usually relates to experience but since Price's career has given him plenty of experience already age is not relevant.
Age is always relevant, especially for a goalie.

I suppose you can look at it two ways.

1) We have a 25 year old goalie that has more experience in this league than most goalies have by the time they are 30, which is a huge asset.

or 2) We have a 25 year old goalie that has played 300+ games and still hasn't had incredible success in the playoffs, which is a problem.

Personally I prefer the former than the latter, but it's all a matter of perspective.

Old
05-01-2013, 11:23 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
You're going to sit there and seriously claim to have never seen wide-spread use of phrases like "Saint Patrick" and "In Price we trust"? If elevation to a saint and direct replacement of a goalie's name for the word "God" aren't enough...

Sorry I forgot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Seriously, most of the people taking issue with the discussing of the ebb and flow of Price's success on his journey towards being "the savior" (another commonly used expression) seem to BE the people who have built him up to a holy level already, and are charging people around here with blasphemy (some take the less caustic route of preaching patience, of course... see what I did there?). News flash: pointing out that this was one of his most inconsistent seasons so far performance-wise (fully recognizing that there was a stretch of the 48 game schedule where he DID bring his "A game", propelling us up the standings) does NOT imply that he should be replaced, nor does it suggest that there are likely better options readily available out there, either.
We've got a pretty wicked goalie. We should be happy about it. But it's Montreal so...

Old
05-01-2013, 11:29 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsead View Post
Brodeur had 160 wins in 301 games at the same age.

He had also a 0,915 save percentage and a GAA of 2,16(team stat), while playing the majority of this at the start of the lowest scoring era of hockey, in a better and more defensive team. The cup and playoffs performance are the big difference thought, but we can't ask Price to do it alone.

Price has now 145 wins after 310 games, also he has a 0,915 save percentage and a GAA of 2,56 (again a team stat).

Price is fine, he isn't one of the team problem. I want him to step up in the playoffs tought. Also, that's comparing him with one of the best goalie of all-time and I'm not saying he is as good as Brodeur.
I wonder how well he'd do if he was playing for Chicago or St. Louis. He's played on mostly brutal teams. His numbers being what they are is pretty incredible actually. Think about some of the teams we've had...

Old
05-01-2013, 11:31 AM
jnthomas

Send a message via MSN to jnthomas
Quote:
I wonder how well he'd do if he was playing for Chicago or St. Louis. He's played on mostly brutal teams. His numbers being what they are is pretty incredible actually. Think about some of the teams we've had...
I just puked a little.

Old
05-01-2013, 11:38 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Hey this thread passed 1,000 posts. If anybody thinks a Part 3 continuation of the discussion is warranted, go ahead and create a new thread.

Closed Thread