HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

WC: Oilers at the World Championships

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-24-2013, 07:41 PM
  #51
Sloth Slothersons*
They cut my beard
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Planet Earth
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,329
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
Am I the only one who thinks may Justin Schultz could use the time off and the rest?
Maybe. But I also think if he got an invited he would have a good chance of being on the bottom pairing. It might be good for him if he gets less minutes.

Sloth Slothersons* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 07:44 PM
  #52
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade
 
AlowlyOilersfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,584
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloth Slothersons View Post
Maybe. But I also think if he got an invited he would have a good chance of being on the bottom pairing. It might be good for him if he gets less minutes.
If he's the extra D man, then I don't mind.

AlowlyOilersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 09:31 PM
  #53
Eskimo44
Registered User
 
Eskimo44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 5,554
vCash: 500
Am i the only one who doesn't see why the Oilers wouldn't send Schultz down to the AHL?

Eskimo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 09:51 PM
  #54
Jimmi Jenkins
Just Walk Away
 
Jimmi Jenkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 38,816
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo44 View Post
Am i the only one who doesn't see why the Oilers wouldn't send Schultz down to the AHL?
I think he wasn't on the "clear list" at he deadline

Jimmi Jenkins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 12:22 AM
  #55
KarmaPolice
Masterdebater
 
KarmaPolice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: In Limbo
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,652
vCash: 989
Send a message via MSN to KarmaPolice
Late to the party, never mind...

KarmaPolice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 06:50 PM
  #56
oilers4cup
No More Koolade
 
oilers4cup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Last place
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,308
vCash: 50
@Bob_Stauffer: Justin Schultz just told me he has accepted an invitation to play for Team Canada at the WHC

oilers4cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 07:25 PM
  #57
402
#ualberta
 
402's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Edmonton
Country: Egypt
Posts: 2,855
vCash: 500
Nice to see schultz get the invite
Now four oilers representing team canada

402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 08:14 PM
  #58
syz
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
 
syz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,935
vCash: 50
Sounds like Canada's defense is going to be thin yet again this year though.

syz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 08:51 PM
  #59
lakai17
Registered User
 
lakai17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,970
vCash: 637
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
Am I the only one who thinks may Justin Schultz could use the time off and the rest?
He is young, send him back to OKC if he's not representing Canada. Playing for Canada would be valuable experience looking at that team on paper. He would get PP time as well.

lakai17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 09:02 PM
  #60
ohheyhemsky
Registered User
 
ohheyhemsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: The Den
Country: Indonesia
Posts: 10,236
vCash: 210
Can we make this an 'Oilers at the WC' thread?

Petry to the US.

Yak going to Russia?

ohheyhemsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 11:02 PM
  #61
N5991989
Oilers Fan
 
N5991989's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,477
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohheyhemsky View Post
Can we make this an 'Oilers at the WC' thread?

Petry to the US.

Yak going to Russia?
Agreed and maybe Smid to Czech team?

N5991989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 11:10 PM
  #62
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade
 
AlowlyOilersfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,584
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers4cup View Post
@Bob_Stauffer: Justin Schultz just told me he has accepted an invitation to play for Team Canada at the WHC
Good for him.

I hope his role is limited though: mostly a pp specialist.

AlowlyOilersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 12:26 AM
  #63
nitz
Registered User
 
nitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Country: North Korea
Posts: 1,669
vCash: 500
Surprised that Schultz is going. But it's a good opportunity for these Oilers to be part of a winning team.

nitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 04:03 PM
  #64
402
#ualberta
 
402's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Edmonton
Country: Egypt
Posts: 2,855
vCash: 500
So no yakupov invite

402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 04:54 PM
  #65
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man
 
SeriousBusiness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,594
vCash: 500
I think for guys like Hall and Eberle, this tournament is somewhat an audition for the Olympic team in 2014.

J Schultz would be hard pressed to make that team, especially with the way he finished this season, but I'm thinking he figures if he does well in this tournament, and then starts next season strong like he did this season, he'll be in the running for 7th dman. With that in mind, it would be hard for him to say no.

SeriousBusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 04:56 PM
  #66
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit
 
dustrock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 5,253
vCash: 500
Good for the boys to get some (more) international experience.

Will help Schultz's confidence as well, I wonder if hearing he would go to Team Canada made a difference in the last couple of games, as he looked like the Schultz of old(?)

dustrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 05:16 PM
  #67
Ragss
Registered User
 
Ragss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,548
vCash: 500
The week between games for Schultz will still be a big rest relatively.

Ragss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 05:29 PM
  #68
OilerTyler
Fire Lowe
 
OilerTyler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,763
vCash: 500
Smid is confirmed as going now.

Yakupov wished good luck to Paajarvi at the Worlds today in one of his tweets. I haven't seen anyone else confirm that Paajarvi is going though.

OilerTyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 05:37 PM
  #69
BowDangles
Registered User
 
BowDangles's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,788
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustrock View Post
Good for the boys to get some (more) international experience.

Will help Schultz's confidence as well, I wonder if hearing he would go to Team Canada made a difference in the last couple of games, as he looked like the Schultz of old(?)
I think it had more to do with him getting that bonus for being top ten in goals for defence man.

BowDangles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 06:36 PM
  #70
Trafalgar Law
Waive Dallas Eakins
 
Trafalgar Law's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 5,444
vCash: 500
No Yak for Russia?

Trafalgar Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 09:20 AM
  #71
LaGu
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Taino
Posts: 1,637
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerTyler View Post
Smid is confirmed as going now.

Yakupov wished good luck to Paajarvi at the Worlds today in one of his tweets. I haven't seen anyone else confirm that Paajarvi is going though.
As I understand it he's not going (which I for the record think is a horrible decision seeing what wingers we will field in the WC...). The coach was quoted yesterday as saying that he had drawn the line with regards to adding NHL players to the current team (unless a Zetterberg/Backstrom/Sedin becomes available after the 1st round).

Apparently they were more interested in Lander but since he was going to OKC that was not an option.

SWE might just be fielding the worst team in recent history...

Markstrom, Enroth

E.Gustafsson, S.Kronwall, Tallinder, Granberg, Fransson, Viklund, Falth, Rahimi

L.Eriksson, Landeskog, Pettersson, J.Lundqvist, Lindberg, Jim.Ericsson, Jarnkrok, Persson, Axelsson, Arlbrandt, Danielsson, S.Hjalmarsson, Thornberg, Jamtin

Impressed!?


LaGu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 10:06 AM
  #72
Jimmi Jenkins
Just Walk Away
 
Jimmi Jenkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 38,816
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaGu View Post
As I understand it he's not going (which I for the record think is a horrible decision seeing what wingers we will field in the WC...). The coach was quoted yesterday as saying that he had drawn the line with regards to adding NHL players to the current team (unless a Zetterberg/Backstrom/Sedin becomes available after the 1st round).

Apparently they were more interested in Lander but since he was going to OKC that was not an option.

SWE might just be fielding the worst team in recent history...

Markstrom, Enroth

E.Gustafsson, S.Kronwall, Tallinder, Granberg, Fransson, Viklund, Falth, Rahimi

L.Eriksson, Landeskog, Pettersson, J.Lundqvist, Lindberg, Jim.Ericsson, Jarnkrok, Persson, Axelsson, Arlbrandt, Danielsson, S.Hjalmarsson, Thornberg, Jamtin

Impressed!?

lol Does Sweden know they can't get a 1st overall pick if they finish low in this Tourney?

Jimmi Jenkins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 11:40 AM
  #73
LaGu
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Taino
Posts: 1,637
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
lol Does Sweden know they can't get a 1st overall pick if they finish low in this Tourney?
I think we might very well finish outside the "big 7" this year (CAN, USA, RUS, FIN, SWE, CZE and SVK)...

What upsets me a bit is that although they have included some young SEL players (going over the NA next year) they dismissed the young players already in NA, like Paajarvi and Adam Larsson. None of them are stars (yet) obviously but they are without any doubt a lot better than some of the players we are fielding in their positions. The problem with dismissing these players (imo) is that apart, from bringing youth and quality, next time they might not be so thrilled to say yes when they are called (and I think both of them will be...).

Anyway, doesn't matter.

LaGu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 01:11 PM
  #74
Perfect_Drug
Registered User
 
Perfect_Drug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 4,103
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
lol Does Sweden know they can't get a 1st overall pick if they finish low in this Tourney?
I remember the US being in danger of being relegated a while ago (Either relegated, or not invited to the olympics), so a Prime Doug Weight and Chris Chelios went to prevent that. For a while it seemed it was very unfashionable for US players to go for some reason.



Quote:
Originally Posted by LaGu View Post
I think we might very well finish outside the "big 7" this year (CAN, USA, RUS, FIN, SWE, CZE and SVK)...

What upsets me a bit is that although they have included some young SEL players (going over the NA next year) they dismissed the young players already in NA, like Paajarvi and Adam Larsson. None of them are stars (yet) obviously but they are without any doubt a lot better than some of the players we are fielding in their positions. The problem with dismissing these players (imo) is that apart, from bringing youth and quality, next time they might not be so thrilled to say yes when they are called (and I think both of them will be...).

Anyway, doesn't matter.
Shame. MPS has speed to burn, is a force on the international ice, and has been a tremendous player in this tournament. Surprised Omark isn't going either.

Politics sucks. But we fielded a 'developmental team' a couple of years ago with Messier as GM and MacT as coach. (Decent team in retrospect, but way to young at the time to consider a winner).

Perfect_Drug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 07:13 AM
  #75
LaGu
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Taino
Posts: 1,637
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect_Drug View Post
I remember the US being in danger of being relegated a while ago (Either relegated, or not invited to the olympics), so a Prime Doug Weight and Chris Chelios went to prevent that. For a while it seemed it was very unfashionable for US players to go for some reason.





Shame. MPS has speed to burn, is a force on the international ice, and has been a tremendous player in this tournament. Surprised Omark isn't going either.

Politics sucks. But we fielded a 'developmental team' a couple of years ago with Messier as GM and MacT as coach. (Decent team in retrospect, but way to young at the time to consider a winner).
Omark I could do without, but I would have loved to see Paajarvi playing LW next the the Sedins on the top line after Vancover gets swept by the Sharks

LaGu is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:34 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.