HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Draft Part 3 (Flyers own the 11th overall pick)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-01-2013, 10:10 AM
  #901
LegionOfDoom91
Registered User
 
LegionOfDoom91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 15,833
vCash: 500
I would easily take Nichushkin over Zadorov at the 11th pick if he was there.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline  
Old
05-01-2013, 10:12 AM
  #902
Curufinwe
Registered User
 
Curufinwe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Country: New Zealand
Posts: 9,471
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
Nichuskin has even said he'd like to be drafted by the flyers

He'd come over
Dynamo Moscow just paid $10 million for him, so he'll be there till at least 2015.

http://en.rsport.ru/hockey/20130501/659962228.html

Curufinwe is online now  
Old
05-01-2013, 10:14 AM
  #903
Jack de la Hoya
Registered User
 
Jack de la Hoya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 14,057
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
Dynamo Moscow just paid $10 million for him, so he'll be there till at least 2015.

http://en.rsport.ru/hockey/20130501/659962228.html
Wasn't there also a report that the new contract included an out-clause after 2014?

Regardless, a guy like Shinkaruk or Domi isn't likely to make an impact until at least 2015 anyway. Heck, most of the prospects slated to go around 11th will probably benefit from two years of development.

EDIT: That said, I can't see him getting by BUF, NJD, or DAL--any one of which could use a potential star forward.

Jack de la Hoya is offline  
Old
05-01-2013, 10:18 AM
  #904
FLYguy3911
Registered User
 
FLYguy3911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 5,621
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post
Wasn't there also a report that the new contract included an out-clause after 2014?

Regardless, a guy like Shinkaruk or Domi isn't likely to make an impact until at least 2015 anyway. Heck, most of the prospects slated to go around 11th will probably benefit from two years of development.

EDIT: That said, I can't see him getting by BUF, NJD, or DAL--any one of which could use a potential star forward.
I made this point a few weeks ago. You're going to have to wait 2 years for most prospects anyway. If you have a chance to take a prospect with superstar potential at 11th overall you do it.

FLYguy3911 is online now  
Old
05-01-2013, 10:18 AM
  #905
Broad Street Elite
Registered User
 
Broad Street Elite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 3,414
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
Dynamo Moscow just paid $10 million for him, so he'll be there till at least 2015.

http://en.rsport.ru/hockey/20130501/659962228.html
They paid the other team, not the player, and he's not happy about the change. I'm not saying that he definitely leaves, but I certainly think that the move to Dynamo increases, not decreases, the potential for him to come to NA sooner rather than later.

When we were talking about picking 5-8, the risk associated with Nichushkin made it worth a debate, but when you're selecting 11th, the talent of the player trumps the location of his development.

If Nichushkin slid to 11, which I think is extraordinarily unlikely, I'd take him over any of the reasonably available players not named Nurse. Nurse I'd debate and because of need, probably take, but no way I take a less talented player just because of the certainty associated with their development location.

Broad Street Elite is offline  
Old
05-01-2013, 10:19 AM
  #906
LegionOfDoom91
Registered User
 
LegionOfDoom91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 15,833
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post
Wasn't there also a report that the new contract included an out-clause after 2014?

Regardless, a guy like Shinkaruk or Domi isn't likely to make an impact until at least 2015 anyway. Heck, most of the prospects slated to go around 11th will probably benefit from two years of development.

EDIT: That said, I can't see him getting by BUF, NJD, or DAL--any one of which could use a potential star forward.
Yes it has an out-clause after next year.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline  
Old
05-01-2013, 10:23 AM
  #907
Prongo
Beer
 
Prongo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 14,408
vCash: 500
I wouldn't be surprised if he fell out of the top 10. Many teams picking want the top 5-8 players probably to make some sort of impact next year and contribute to the big club. The draft is deep and there are some players that might stick with the big clubs more so than other years. Add the contract status and Russian factor and he could drop. After the top 3, it's pretty much anyone's guess. Players will always fall though because certain team value them less than others, same with players that rise.

Prongo is offline  
Old
05-01-2013, 10:23 AM
  #908
FLYERSFAN18
Registered User
 
FLYERSFAN18's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 2,001
vCash: 500
Every prospect info I see has nichushkin listed as a center. Does anyone know if be has played wing for any extended period of time?

FLYERSFAN18 is offline  
Old
05-01-2013, 10:26 AM
  #909
Jack de la Hoya
Registered User
 
Jack de la Hoya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 14,057
vCash: 500
If Nichushkin somehow slides, then I think you take him and do everything you can to trade up from our 2nd into the late 1st and grab a young, developmental defenseman from the third tier (Hagg, Mueller, Theodore, etc.) We'd need to part with our 3rd + (I'm not sure what else we have to offer, really--Cousins, next year's 2nd, I dunno).

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYERSFAN18 View Post
Every prospect info I see has nichushkin listed as a center. Does anyone know if be has played wing for any extended period of time?
Weird. I've only ever seen him listed at wing.

Jack de la Hoya is offline  
Old
05-01-2013, 10:27 AM
  #910
Prongo
Beer
 
Prongo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 14,408
vCash: 500
Was there any defenseman who were injured this year? Or forwards for that matter. Similar to a Shea Weber situation?

Prongo is offline  
Old
05-01-2013, 10:27 AM
  #911
FLYguy3911
Registered User
 
FLYguy3911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 5,621
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYERSFAN18 View Post
Every prospect info I see has nichushkin listed as a center. Does anyone know if be has played wing for any extended period of time?
He's played left wing internationally, but he likes to comes down the right wing a lot and has a lot of success with it. He's definitely skilled enough to play the off wing like a lot of Russians. Haven't seen him play center.

FLYguy3911 is online now  
Old
05-01-2013, 10:28 AM
  #912
LegionOfDoom91
Registered User
 
LegionOfDoom91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 15,833
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYERSFAN18 View Post
Every prospect info I see has nichushkin listed as a center. Does anyone know if be has played wing for any extended period of time?
I think most project him to be a winger at the NHL level.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline  
Old
05-01-2013, 10:30 AM
  #913
FLYERSFAN18
Registered User
 
FLYERSFAN18's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 2,001
vCash: 500
That would be nice to have him on the wing with g and jake. It would also be good if he was on the second line or bumped Voracek down a line to increase scoring on lines other than the first. Either way I would be happy with that pick.

FLYERSFAN18 is offline  
Old
05-01-2013, 10:31 AM
  #914
LegionOfDoom91
Registered User
 
LegionOfDoom91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 15,833
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post
If Nichushkin somehow slides, then I think you take him and do everything you can to trade up from our 2nd into the late 1st and grab a young, developmental defenseman from the third tier (Hagg, Mueller, Theodore, etc.) We'd need to part with our 3rd + (I'm not sure what else we have to offer, really--Cousins, next year's 2nd, I dunno).
I could see him possibly going as a mid-1st round pick. His stock is really climbing right now.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline  
Old
05-01-2013, 10:32 AM
  #915
LetsGoFlyers1825
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 781
vCash: 500
Hopefully Nichushkin pulls a Grigorenko

LetsGoFlyers1825 is offline  
Old
05-01-2013, 10:33 AM
  #916
FLYguy3911
Registered User
 
FLYguy3911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 5,621
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
Was there any defenseman who were injured this year? Or forwards for that matter. Similar to a Shea Weber situation?
Not that I can think of. There is Mitch Wheaton, defenseman from Kelowna who only has 43 games of WHL experience. Big kid 6'5 230. Played in the Alberta Junior League last year. Seems to be rising. Can't go wrong with a defenseman from Kelowna.

FLYguy3911 is online now  
Old
05-01-2013, 10:37 AM
  #917
Jack de la Hoya
Registered User
 
Jack de la Hoya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 14,057
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
I could see him possibly going as a mid-1st round pick. His stock is really climbing right now.
Yeah, Hagg could go earlier as well. Morrissey could drop. I was just throwing out names.

I'd also be open to moving our 2nd + for a drafted prospect--particularly if Colorado believes that either Barrie or Elliott is expendable with the drafting of Jones.

Jack de la Hoya is offline  
Old
05-01-2013, 10:57 AM
  #918
SolidSnakeUS
Registered User
 
SolidSnakeUS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Pipersville, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 31,057
vCash: 500
From what I could tell from the WJC, Hagg needs help with some better positioning and needs to be a bit more aggressive. However, he is a very good puck mover and likes to hit people.

SolidSnakeUS is offline  
Old
05-01-2013, 10:58 AM
  #919
Broad Street Elite
Registered User
 
Broad Street Elite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 3,414
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYguy3911 View Post
Not that I can think of. There is Mitch Wheaton, defenseman from Kelowna who only has 43 games of WHL experience. Big kid 6'5 230. Played in the Alberta Junior League last year. Seems to be rising. Can't go wrong with a defenseman from Kelowna.
Another guy that was a preseason A lister that has fallen a fair bit and could be available when we pick in the 2nd is Justin Bailey in Kitchener. He got hurt 3 games in, played poorly on his return, but his numbers improved as he adjusted to the OHL.

Broad Street Elite is offline  
Old
05-01-2013, 11:01 AM
  #920
Broad Street Elite
Registered User
 
Broad Street Elite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 3,414
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post
Yeah, Hagg could go earlier as well. Morrissey could drop. I was just throwing out names.

I'd also be open to moving our 2nd + for a drafted prospect--particularly if Colorado believes that either Barrie or Elliott is expendable with the drafting of Jones.
I was just thinking about Morrissey and wondering why he isn't appearing higher on some of the lists I've seen. One of the best skaters amongst the defenseman, very good offensive instincts, average to above average overall defender, needs to refine his decision-making, and has sub-optimal size (6' 185).

I know everyone loves the size and perceived talent of certain other defensemen, but actual production never hurts.

Broad Street Elite is offline  
Old
05-01-2013, 11:19 AM
  #921
Jtown
Registered User
 
Jtown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Fairfax, Virginia
Posts: 12,358
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
I was just thinking about Morrissey and wondering why he isn't appearing higher on some of the lists I've seen. One of the best skaters amongst the defenseman, very good offensive instincts, average to above average overall defender, needs to refine his decision-making, and has sub-optimal size (6' 185).

I know everyone loves the size and perceived talent of certain other defensemen, but actual production never hurts.
Production does not translate as well to the nhl as specific skills and athleticism does.

Jtown is online now  
Old
05-01-2013, 11:22 AM
  #922
Jtown
Registered User
 
Jtown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Fairfax, Virginia
Posts: 12,358
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
I could see him possibly going as a mid-1st round pick. His stock is really climbing right now.
Mueller would be an awesome get. If we could come out of this draft with Mueller and Zadorov id be ecstatic.

Jtown is online now  
Old
05-01-2013, 11:23 AM
  #923
Larry44
Where's Hovercraft?
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 5,323
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
They paid the other team, not the player, and he's not happy about the change. I'm not saying that he definitely leaves, but I certainly think that the move to Dynamo increases, not decreases, the potential for him to come to NA sooner rather than later.

When we were talking about picking 5-8, the risk associated with Nichushkin made it worth a debate, but when you're selecting 11th, the talent of the player trumps the location of his development.

If Nichushkin slid to 11, which I think is extraordinarily unlikely, I'd take him over any of the reasonably available players not named Nurse. Nurse I'd debate and because of need, probably take, but no way I take a less talented player just because of the certainty associated with their development location.
Look where that got us in '90, taking Ricci instead of Jagr because we weren't sure we could get him out!

Larry44 is offline  
Old
05-01-2013, 11:30 AM
  #924
Jack de la Hoya
Registered User
 
Jack de la Hoya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 14,057
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
Look where that got us in '90, taking Ricci instead of Jagr because we weren't sure we could get him out!
Things have come a long way since then...

Jack de la Hoya is offline  
Old
05-01-2013, 11:39 AM
  #925
Jtown
Registered User
 
Jtown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Fairfax, Virginia
Posts: 12,358
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
Look where that got us in '90, taking Ricci instead of Jagr because we weren't sure we could get him out!
So instead of Forsberg and Ricci for lindros it would have been Forsberg and Jagr for lindros.....oy.

Jtown is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:52 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.