HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Today I... (Part 2)

Closed Thread

Old
04-29-2013, 10:50 AM
OkimLom

vCash: 500
Starting the year off very nicely. 2 goals 5 assists in first 3 games. Had a solid game last night as I blocked 4 shots one shift, broke a 2 on 1 another shift, and scored a hardworking but nice goal and had a nice assist but the ref called a hooking penalty on my teammate that canceled the goal.

Last night's goal was probably the nicest all around goal I've scored in years. Started behind my net, as I play defense, with two other guys. Kicked the puck(stuck in my feet) off the boards and used the net to separate myself from the two guys. Started to bring the puck out, noticed my team was going for a change with open ice in front of me. So I decided to bring it out and nobody was really challenging me so I brought further into their zone. Cut wide on the defenseman on my forehand, using my body to protect the puck, so I can open the ice up for my center and winger to come from behind me so I can drop it off. Turned out Winger covered my spot on defense with the Center going to the net. Let a wrist shot go caught the small space between goalie helmet and Cross bar. Down and in.

Ref was the only one to see the hole. I really didn't, but I knew the goalie goes down early often, so I knew if I can get the puck up quick and in close, I had a chance. Goalie yelled at his defenseman for letting me take the shot, and the ref came to his defense(no pun intended) and said there was nothing but that shot. Sometimes the shooter just gets a nice shot off. There was only so much he can do as I got a step on him and he couldn't get his stick on the puck.

Team Season Record to date - 3-0-1 (missed first game, the tie, due to other league championship)

Old
04-30-2013, 10:23 AM
Malarowski

vCash: 822
Today (Yesterday night) I got my skates sharpened with a slightly deeper hollow than usually. This could be awesome or end in horrible disaster. Seeing I went from 1/2 to 3/8 I can't imagine it being ankle breaking different though, especially seeing it is a flat bottom. I could not see the difference with the naked eye.

Old
04-30-2013, 10:27 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Had a solid game last night, despite the cold. Got an assist, was on the ice for both our goals, wasn't on for their lone goal, and completely shut down their ringer, which was a blast. He liked to dangle right through our guys but I kept steering him to the boards and forcing him to cough up the puck.

Old
04-30-2013, 01:20 PM
Frankie Spankie

Today I bought a pair of Bauer Nexus 600 skates. I tried on quite a few pairs in my price range which was about $400 and this was by far the best fit. It actually felt great before I even put them in the oven.

I had a pair of SuperFeet insoles from an old pair of skates that didn't fit in my last pair but I tried them out in these and they're a perfect fit. They're so much better than the insoles that come with the skates too. Can't wait to give these a go tomorrow morning.

Old
05-01-2013, 08:48 AM
windycity

Tried a new move (for me) on a penalty shot and beat the keeper clean. Came in without much stickhandling, kept the puck on my forehand (I shoot left), dropped my shoulder and faked a shot, goalie totally bit which left me with a wide open net to slide a backhand in. Felt great because I'd be thinking for weeks about trying it but never had a chance to until last night.

Old
05-01-2013, 09:46 AM
ZajacsShakes
Den-ee-oos Zoo-Broos

Today I attempted to do a proper hip-check on someone. It turned into a Kasparitis submarine hit. It was glorious. So was the 2 minute penalty that ensued. Our PK sucked, then I realized that I'm usually on the PK, and the other good PK defence was sick. We barely won that game.

Old
05-01-2013, 09:47 AM
Malarowski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malarowski View Post
Today (Yesterday night) I got my skates sharpened with a slightly deeper hollow than usually. This could be awesome or end in horrible disaster. Seeing I went from 1/2 to 3/8 I can't imagine it being ankle breaking different though, especially seeing it is a flat bottom. I could not see the difference with the naked eye.
Update: It sucked. Ice was softer than usual thanks to it heating up quite a bit here finally. Going back to the previous cut asap.

On another topic: Got the Bauer Re-Akt cage, woah. Amazing how you don't notice it.

Old
05-01-2013, 09:53 AM
ZajacsShakes
Den-ee-oos Zoo-Broos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malarowski View Post
Update: It sucked. Ice was softer than usual thanks to it heating up quite a bit here finally. Going back to the previous cut asap.

On another topic: Got the Bauer Re-Akt cage, woah. Amazing how you don't notice it.
Different edges can throw you off, can't they? I tried different ones, then said screw it and went back to the usual.

Edit: I also decided to try some new skates, give my Tacks a break. I hate Reebok skates now.

Old
05-01-2013, 11:09 AM
Malarowski

/Yeah no kidding. Incredible how minuscule differences can impact your skating. I would constantly just get 'stuck' in the ice and fall over on turns and stopping was ridiculous, not even snow plow worked without major effort.

That said, the ice was much softer than usually I think. We had it covered in snow very quickly and skating was considerably tougher than usually. Hope it won't continue like that throughout summer.

Edit: Just went and got a legit FBV 90/75, looking forward trying it this Sunday. Hope by then my legs don't feel like a truck went over them. Severely fatigued after the aggressive cut used yesterday.

Last edited by Malarowski: 05-01-2013 at 07:57 PM.
Old
05-01-2013, 11:25 PM
TheeNorthStar

Random but today i saw some1 was wearing full on football shoulder pads. Bulky as heck!

It was just ridiculous because i noticed his shoulders looked really awkward under his jersey. But after the game, i saw his pads, i was thinking "BRUH ... Really?" I mean it works but it was just so random and funny

Plus i had a sweet goal to get the Hat Trick in pickup hockey. Short side top cheese.

Old
05-02-2013, 09:36 AM
Frankie Spankie

Skated yesterday with my new skates and I felt like I was wearing high heels. Seems like I forgot how to skate. Not to mention they hurt. I did pick it up quite a bit later in the game though. Can't wait for these to fully break in.

I have first round of the playoffs tonight too, hopefully I do fine. If I still can't skate as well as I know I can, I'll just plant myself in the slot. I'm a big body so I can always do a good job screening the goalie.

Old
05-03-2013, 12:51 PM
TLow97

Trying to piece together a Summer League team. Never really asked to be the "organizer" of the team but I suppose I've been thrust into that role... There are about 5 or 6 of us and we're hoping to link up with another Winter league team.

Old
05-04-2013, 07:51 AM
jazzykat

Inline skated for the first time in 10 years!

Old
05-04-2013, 01:09 PM
ganave

Another scrimmage today. Good mix of D/C/B players, felt much better in the net today after giving my body a few days off. Had some derp goals, but stuffed a lot of breakaways. Desperately need to get my skates sharpened. Bleh, usual skate sharpening guy hasn't been around for the last 5 weeks.

Old
05-04-2013, 02:23 PM
boo10

Played in the Scotia pro am. Lots of fun for a great cause.

Old
05-05-2013, 08:22 AM
TrueBlue86

Yesterday I showed up for pick up in London only to see the London Knights practicing at our rink for the OHL playoffs.

In the hallway before the pick up as they were getting out, I was given a Total One NXG from Tommy Hughes. I couldn't believe it. It is coool using a top end stick as a beginner who's used to $50 sticks.

: )

Old
05-05-2013, 03:41 PM
Splitbtw
Rebuild? Refresh?

Today we play in a championship. It's the last meaningful game for two originals since our team was formed 3-4 years ago. One is deplying and one is moving for work. I missed last week's epic performance to get us here due to a dislocated tendon the week prior and swelling wouldn't allow for it. Doctor said this week is my call so I've modded the glove to tape all my fingers together for added support. Was able to skate yesterday through some pain and will skate today before taking a couple weeks off to heal properly.

Of course right after we will head to the bar sponsor and I'll be able to catch the sharks game.

Should be a fantastic day.

Old
05-05-2013, 05:14 PM
Ozz

A goal and an assist in my first game today, 2 goals and an assist in my 2nd.

Old
05-05-2013, 05:16 PM
Primrose Everdeen
Shake it Off

vCash: 100
Ordered a new stick. It's finally time to replace my 11 year old wood Montreal stick that's practically falling apart and I'm kind of afraid to make full use of because I don't want to break it.

05-05-2013, 10:37 PM
lokomotiv15

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlue86 View Post

Yesterday I showed up for pick up in London only to see the London Knights practicing at our rink for the OHL playoffs.

In the hallway before the pick up as they were getting out, I was given a Total One NXG from Tommy Hughes. I couldn't believe it. It is coool using a top end stick as a beginner who's used to $50 sticks.

: )
Haha I'm jealous. I was there and just walked passed them when I was walking to the rink. Put a plug in it yet?

Old
05-05-2013, 11:46 PM
Fanned On It

Broke my relatively new APX LE a few nights ago during a league game... I was pissed. Broke it in such a BS way, too. The puck went into the corner in the offensive zone and it just happened to be the corner with the zamboni doors... well I went to dig the puck out and the blade of my stick got wedged in the crack between the two doors and I had a lot of momentum so I guess I pulled on it as I skated by and the blade cracked right in half. Grr. Thank god for warrantees.

Old
05-06-2013, 04:04 AM
howeaboutthat

Last night I scored a goal in my first competitive game.

Skated in to screen their NM, get tripped onto my knees, puck gets fired in and rattles about the crease a bit and I lent over the NM who had come down into a butterfly to poke it across the line.

I thought it was a messy goal but my coach congratulated me for my persistence.

I now have a puck with some tape on it testifying to having scored my first goal. Not bad for a 36 year old who only started learning to skate in August.

Great feeling!

Old
05-07-2013, 09:17 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

10pm games on Mondays are killing me. But at least I got my goal.

Tried to do the Kesler Olympic goal too, puck race, I had a slight edge, puck was on edge, dove and swatted but it missed the net. Boo.

Old
05-07-2013, 09:20 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanned On It View Post
Broke my relatively new APX LE a few nights ago during a league game... I was pissed. Broke it in such a BS way, too. The puck went into the corner in the offensive zone and it just happened to be the corner with the zamboni doors... well I went to dig the puck out and the blade of my stick got wedged in the crack between the two doors and I had a lot of momentum so I guess I pulled on it as I skated by and the blade cracked right in half. Grr. Thank god for warrantees.
That sucks. That happened to me on my second shift with a brand new Reebok 10k (top of the line when it was out). Never sent it in for warranty though. Should have. Not sure they would have gave it to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by howeaboutthat View Post
Last night I scored a goal in my first competitive game.

Skated in to screen their NM, get tripped onto my knees, puck gets fired in and rattles about the crease a bit and I lent over the NM who had come down into a butterfly to poke it across the line.

I thought it was a messy goal but my coach congratulated me for my persistence.

I now have a puck with some tape on it testifying to having scored my first goal. Not bad for a 36 year old who only started learning to skate in August.

Great feeling!
Congrats! First of many, hopefully.

Old
05-07-2013, 03:00 PM
Fanned On It

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
That sucks. That happened to me on my second shift with a brand new Reebok 10k (top of the line when it was out). Never sent it in for warranty though. Should have. Not sure they would have gave it to me.

Congrats! First of many, hopefully.
Why wouldn't they give it to you?

Closed Thread