HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Marc Staal

Old
05-01-2013, 07:58 AM
pld459666

vCash: 500
can only speak for myself, love my brothers, but not sure I am giving up quite a few million just to play on the same team as them.

Don't see it as that big a deal to be honest.

but that's me.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 08:10 AM
pld459666

If I'm Carolina, I offer Ryan Murphy and the 5th pick this year. Thats it.

Staal is a great defenceman to have when healthy.

The opportunity to get a Barkov or a Nichcushkin at #5 would be awesome.

If we could get somethign additional on top of Murphy and the 1st, then I really look at trying to move from 5 to 3 and taking Drouin or MacKinnon.

that's just me thinking out loud

Old
05-01-2013, 08:18 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post

If we could get somethign additional on top of Murphy and the 1st, then I really look at trying to move from 5 to 3 and taking Drouin or MacKinnon.

I think that is the type of realistic package the Rangers and Canes would consider. Murphy + Rask + 1st '13. Makes too much sense to me.

At the deadline it was almost like the Rangers knew they would be getting a pick or (2) back at some point with how easily they moved their 2nd. Just a hunch that I have had.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 08:19 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
can only speak for myself, love my brothers, but not sure I am giving up quite a few million just to play on the same team as them.

but that's me.
Why does he have to take less money?

Jordan got paid.

Old
05-01-2013, 08:35 AM
Championship*
#Joel&Ellie

Quote:

I've said it before in this thread, but this is my main position on this as well.

Championship* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 08:36 AM
RangersFan

Send a message via AIM to RangersFan Send a message via MSN to RangersFan
Quote:

but that's me.
exactly. get paid first, and if it's that important to you and there is a chance play with your brothers later on in your career

RangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 08:41 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
I think that is the type of realistic package the Rangers and Canes would consider. Murphy + Rask + 1st '13. Makes too much sense to me.

At the deadline it was almost like the Rangers knew they would be getting a pick or (2) back at some point with how easily they moved their 2nd. Just a hunch that I have had.
I don't think you can deal Staal for 3 pieces who aren't likely to crack the NHL roster next season. You need at least one NHLer, IMO. Murphy's development has stalled.

Do the Rangers like Phil Di Giuseppe? Plays with Boo Nieves at Michigan. The two have natural chemistry. Both have great size and speed, but are very raw. PDG and the 5th overall plus a current NHLer or prospect who is NHL ready.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 08:46 AM
Championship*
#Joel&Ellie

Jordan Staal. 1st+Roster+Prospect.

If Sather still has any magic left in him, 1st+Faulk would be great, though I'm aware unrealistic.

Championship* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 08:55 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
I don't think you can deal Staal for 3 pieces who aren't likely to crack the NHL roster next season. You need at least one NHLer, IMO. Murphy's development has stalled.

Do the Rangers like Phil Di Giuseppe? Plays with Boo Nieves at Michigan. The two have natural chemistry. Both have great size and speed, but are very raw. PDG and the 5th overall plus a current NHLer or prospect who is NHL ready.
Rask is a very good prospect. Not sure of any NHLer who would significantly improve the roster ala Sutter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Championship View Post
Jordan Staal. 1st+Roster+Prospect.

If Sather still has any magic left in him, 1st+Faulk would be great, though I'm aware unrealistic.
I really don't think they move Faulk but maybe....

Old
05-01-2013, 08:57 AM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

Wow, a lot of speculation going on, here.

I've said this before, and I'll say it again:

Staal won't leave NY before he wins a cup, here. Carolina isn't anywhere near ready to compete. He has unfinished business, here, and I will stick to my guns that he stays put.

The other 2 have Cups. Jordan won his cup first, THEN joined his Eric. Marc needs to win his cup on his own. He's no LeBron James.

KreiMeARiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 09:01 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

The Canes are a budget team. Pure hockey decision. Staying in NY is the best decision. Staying in Pitt was the better hockey decision for Jordan. Moving into the new division. Very tough for Carolina.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 09:13 AM
iamitter
Thornton's Hen

Quote:
Rask is a very good prospect. Not sure of any NHLer who would significantly improve the roster ala Sutter.

I really don't think they move Faulk but maybe....
I feel like McBain could be it. Pitt got a downgrade in the shutdown C position in Sutter. We could get a downgrade in the defense position with McBain.

iamitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 09:19 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamitter View Post
I feel like McBain could be it. Pitt got a downgrade in the shutdown C position in Sutter. We could get a downgrade in the defense position with McBain.
McBain was benched this season in Carolina. He better not be the major piece coming back for Staal.

Old
05-01-2013, 09:22 AM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by KreiMeARiver View Post
Wow, a lot of speculation going on, here.

I've said this before, and I'll say it again:

Staal won't leave NY before he wins a cup, here. Carolina isn't anywhere near ready to compete. He has unfinished business, here, and I will stick to my guns that he stays put.

The other 2 have Cups. Jordan won his cup first, THEN joined his Eric. Marc needs to win his cup on his own. He's no LeBron James.
How is your statement about Marc NOT speculation? Have you spoken to the man directly?

patnyrnyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 09:42 AM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

Quote:
Originally Posted by patnyrnyg View Post
How is your statement about Marc NOT speculation? Have you spoken to the man directly?
I never said it wasn't. I'm just confused as to why right now, before our playoffs start, are people are talking about a possible trade to Carolina?

KreiMeARiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 09:51 AM
pld459666

Quote:
Why does he have to take less money?

Jordan got paid.
Term can only be 7 years whereas Jordan signed under the older CBA terms.

Old
05-01-2013, 09:56 AM
pld459666

Quote:
Term can only be 7 years whereas Jordan signed under the older CBA terms.
Should have mentioned that the Rangers can offer 8 years.

Old
05-01-2013, 10:00 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Staal will be 28 at the end of his current contract. Eight years takes him to 36. He will need to remain healthy over the next 2 years to get 8 years.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 10:01 AM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

McBain and/or Murphy coming back is a HUGE downgrade to the D when it comes to actually playing defense.

That's depending on Moore or McIlrath to really become something that neither has shown ready to be thus far - a top-4 caliber defenseman in their own zone. Could they become that? Yes, they could. Unless you are confident in MDZs ability to find consistency in the defensive end.

A D of:
McD-G
Moore-McBain/Stralman/MDZ
MDZ-Stralman/Murphy/McIlrath

Would result in the top pair continuing to be forced to play close to 30 min a night over 82 games and seemingly entire 3rd periods down the stretch. It would be flashier, it COULD be great in 3 years, but that is a LOT of question marks in the defensive zone.

I don't know how a team expecting to compete for a Cup in the near term could ice that. And that's not even factoring in injuries. McD or G goes down...and ah Hank I hope you like odd man rushes.

05-01-2013, 10:02 AM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by patnyrnyg View Post
Sorry, but Marc Staal was drafted by the Rangers and is still under contract for 2 more years. The speculation is only on the side of those claiming he wants to leave to play with his brothers in 2015-2016.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 10:03 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Should have mentioned that the Rangers can offer 8 years.
The Canes can give him 8 years as well. 7 year limit only applies when extending offers to a free agent.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 10:03 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTrick Swayze View Post
McBain and/or Murphy coming back is a HUGE downgrade to the D when it comes to actually playing defense.

That's depending on Moore or McIlrath to really become something that neither has shown ready to be thus far - a top-4 caliber defenseman in their own zone. Could they become that? Yes, they could. Unless you are confident in MDZs ability to find consistency in the defensive end.

A D of:
McD-G
Moore-McBain/Stralman/MDZ
MDZ-Stralman/Murphy/McIlrath

Would result in the top pair continuing to be forced to play close to 30 min a night over 82 games and seemingly entire 3rd periods down the stretch. It would be flashier, it COULD be great in 3 years, but that is a LOT of question marks in the defensive zone.

I don't know how a team expecting to compete for a Cup in the near term could ice that. And that's not even factoring in injuries. McD or G goes down...and ah Hank I hope you like odd man rushes.
MDZ-Girardi
McDonagh-Stralman
Moore-McIlrath/Murphy
Vet #5 d-man (say Douglas Murray)

If McIlrath and Murphy prove not to be ready than let the vet play and sign another depth d-man like Eminger.

Old
05-01-2013, 10:07 AM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Quote:
MDZ-Girardi
McDonagh-Stralman
Moore-McIlrath/Murphy
Vet #5 d-man (say Douglas Murray)

If McIlrath and Murphy prove not to be ready than let the vet play and sign another depth d-man like Eminger.
I mean, all that really happened there was splitting up McD and Girardi. I don't have a lot of faith in MDZ or Stralman to consistently deliver in their own end for a Cup contender over 82 games plus playoffs. In spots they both absolutely can. But consistency is a question mark in my view.

HatTrick Swayze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 10:09 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTrick Swayze View Post
I mean, all that really happened there was splitting up McD and Girardi. I don't have a lot of faith in MDZ or Stralman to consistently deliver in their own end for a Cup contender over 82 games plus playoffs. In spots they both absolutely can. But consistency is a question mark in my view.
This is the way of a capped league though. Both MDZ and Stralman have been in this years top-4 since Staal went down. They were last year as well with Sauer and Staal out. They have proven they can get the job done.

Old
05-01-2013, 10:41 AM
Kwayry

I worry we are sliding down a slippery slope, the end result of which was already brought up; "we have to accept Carolina's offer or he walks". Which is wrong.
I have also seen arguments that the Rangers are a better team without him, which is just as wrong.

If the Rangers decide to move him, losing Staal would be painful, it should be as painful for Carolina to get him.
Discussion should start with First + Faulk.
We can discuss the + on the either side, but that'd be the parameters of a deal for Staal to Carolina.

Kwayry is offline   Reply With Quote