HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Sticks: What do you use, what do you love/hate, and what's next?

Old
04-17-2013, 11:24 AM
TieClark

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Chris View Post
I remember buying the gold, not the yellow, grip synergy...and it was $220. Believe the silver original synergy came in around the $180-200 mark.
You have to remember at that time composites were relatively new and they had to get the market to buy into the fact that spending that much on a stick helps your play. Now that isn't the case, 90% of players use composites even if they're lower end.

TieClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 11:55 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by PumpkinBomb View Post
Ended up buying a Warrior Dolomite DD, 70 flex Toews curve.

I'll get the chance to use the dolomite tomorrow night.

The Toews curve seems a little more intense than my Hall curve, but i care more about the other parts of sticks than the curves.
Those are good, proven sticks. The flex rating is approximate, should be around the same as other intermediates of the same kick point (medium-low).

DD blades should have very good feel but did have durability issues. On the plus side, if the blade goes soft or breaks, you could cut it off and put a tapered blade in there with some work. Probably won't happen for a long time though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
This post needs more love. For the most part, consumers have no idea what any product "should cost," we simply try to determine value by comparing it to other products. If there were no sticks that cost more than $100, most of us would think $100 was too much to spend on a stick. With the most expensive sticks at $250+, and sticks with only marginally worse performance at $100-150, it makes the $100-150 sticks seem like a good deal. In the wood stick days $20 was a standard price for a stick, $30 was pricey, and $40 was nuts. Obviously it's a different product now, but there was still a time (not that long ago) when $40 was a tonne of money for a stick.
Top end sticks today are much more advanced than they were five years ago. One-piece construction, advanced carbon fibers, soft yet durable blades, weight at or under 420 grams...

Until a few years ago, the $100 sticks weren't worth buying. Now they are very usable. I remember when the sticks in that price range were the Vapor VI and Easton 300...yikes.

Also, today's $150-175 sticks are pretty comparable to the top end sticks that were about $180 back in the day. The Vapor XX and original Dolomite were north of 450 grams and had fused construction.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 04:32 PM
Egoclapper

I'm looking for a new stick, preferably under $100. Anyone know any stores in the GTA with a good clearance section/sales. I heard sportmart shut down lol.

I'm looking at an intermediate, low flex, not sure what curves are named these days, I play centre, like to toe drag, take quick wristers. I've used the sakic and don't really remember off the top what the others were called.

Any good sticks in that price range? Obviously cheaper is better, probably grab going to some gloves and a bucket (recommendations please) and a couple other things.

Egoclapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 05:00 PM
AIREAYE

Whereabouts in the GTA are you located?

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 05:13 PM
Egoclapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
Whereabouts in the GTA are you located?
markham area, but i work throughout the toronto, ajax, pickering, richmond hill area. yea.

Old
04-17-2013, 05:34 PM
AIREAYE

OK, if I were to keep my recommendations to the north and east of downtown, then:

http://justhockeytoronto.com/
Just Hockey would be where I would go first, perhaps the best hockey specialty retailer in the East.

Majer Hockey is also a really good one, but I've never been.

Check out Markham Pro : http://www.markhamprosports.com/our_store/
Or Hockey Lion : http://www.hockeylion.ca/

Old
04-17-2013, 07:08 PM
thedonger

Quote:
OK, if I were to keep my recommendations to the north and east of downtown, then:

Just Hockey would be where I would go first, perhaps the best hockey specialty retailer in the East.

sort of off topic, but have you heard anything as to when the release of the rest of the dynasty line is gonna be(ax2, ax3, etc.)? been patiently waiting as the ax2 sounds like it's right up my alley.

thedonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 07:18 PM
AIREAYE

Nope. Even if the release date arrives, it depends on how quickly your local retailer gets them in. As an aside, I hate sorting through release dates because everyone has different ones and even within a brand, there will be different dates for a stick line, top-end skates vs pricepoint skates in the line, protective etc. Sometimes dates are misinterpreted or straight up pushed back or pulled forward. When it's available it will be available I say. -Rant over-

Old
04-17-2013, 08:12 PM
Egoclapper

Quote:

thanks bro, didn't expect smaller shops to have the deals.

any particular sticks i should make sure to have a look at?

Old
04-17-2013, 08:31 PM
AIREAYE

I would check out Jarick's stick guide for some tips on gloves and especially for curve pattern names.

For gloves, I would try on different pairs in your price range and choose the one that feels the best. Pretty simple.

I would allocate the most money towards the helmet, which is the most important piece of gear you will ever own. Simply get the one that fits best, regardless of price or features.

Clearance high end sticks are the best deals obviously, though the regular priced product at $100 are excellent as well.

Old
04-19-2013, 06:29 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Anyone used the Montreal M60?

I saw some being blown out for dirt cheap and checked one out, actually seemed fairly light and balanced. Seemed a bit whippy but reminded me of my Miken Z9. Blade has a 3k wrap and, well it's only $60 and 450 grams.

Old
04-20-2013, 01:29 AM
pix530

I love Easton Stealth. What can be better than that...

PS: Total One is not bad stick and I like it too but not so much as Stealth )

My son has Vapor and he wants Stealth too

pix530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 06:52 PM
jordanking87

Just snagged a pair of Reebok a.i. 7's for $118 a peice (lhs was clearing them out). Got one in the P87A pattern for myself and a Datsyuk curve for my younger bro whos coming home from college in a few weeks (am I a good brother or what haha).

Anyway, I'm having a hard time using the search function with this model (single letter's dont get searched for I guess?) and just want someone with knowledge/experience with this stick to give me a rundown. It feels slightly blade heavy compared to my dolo and widow but it definitely feels sturdy. Wondered what to expect wear wise, I am pretty easy on my sticks, havent ever had anything other than a blade crack or chip.

Thanks for any insight!

jordanking87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 06:59 PM
Aucoin11*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanking87 View Post
Just snagged a pair of Reebok a.i. 7's for $118 a peice (lhs was clearing them out). Got one in the P87A pattern for myself and a Datsyuk curve for my younger bro whos coming home from college in a few weeks (am I a good brother or what haha).

Anyway, I'm having a hard time using the search function with this model (single letter's dont get searched for I guess?) and just want someone with knowledge/experience with this stick to give me a rundown. It feels slightly blade heavy compared to my dolo and widow but it definitely feels sturdy. Wondered what to expect wear wise, I am pretty easy on my sticks, havent ever had anything other than a blade crack or chip.

Thanks for any insight!
My friend's ai7 blade blew up at the toe in less than a month.

Aucoin11* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 07:54 PM
AIREAYE

Good deal for a one-below stick, not top end but definitely decent. No durability concerns from people, absolutely a sturdy lineup.

Old
04-28-2013, 11:57 PM
jordanking87

Thanks AIREAYE, I'm very satisfied with the deal I got, and after my game tonight I'm liking it in a different way but as much as my Warriors.

jordanking87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 02:05 PM
AIREAYE

As a heads up to Canadian members, Sportchek is clearing the same AI7 stick for $119.99.

Old
04-29-2013, 03:28 PM
Fanned On It

Quote:
Originally Posted by American in Paris View Post
I love playing with people who are passionate about the game, whatever their skill level. And I admire the guys who, at 30 years old, decide to play it for the first time.

I don't resent them for having nice gear. My whole point is that the stick price has little to do with on-ice performance. I do resent the manufacturers for polluting our collective conciousness with the idea that you need a $200 OPS to play your A-game.

For adults with disposable income it's no big deal. But I wonder how many parents today are steering their kids away from hockey when they see the prices at a LHS. I also wonder about expediture cascades created on youth teams when one of the kids shows up with a $200 stick.
You're right... and it's up to the consumers to be smart and educate themselves on what they're buying. At some point in a person's life, they (hopefully) realize what marketing and hype really is and they start to see through it. This usually comes with adult-hood when your priorities start to get in order as well as some gained wisdom.

The people that these manufacturers are are making their money from are the youth hockey players. From Mite to Juniors (in the US). Obviously, the kids buy in to all of this hype and want the best stick available to them. This starts a sort of chain reaction because once a few kids on a team/in an organization/at the rink get top of the line sticks, EVERYONE wants them. The kids start to think that they NEED these top of the line sticks to play well (like you touched on) and the parents start caving in to peer pressure (which you'd think they'd be smart enough not to). The parents don't want their kids to feel like the "poor kid" or "less privileged" kid, so they buy them whatever they want (to their own dismay). This is the case ESPECIALLY if you live in a solid hockey area that is home to upper-middle class/rich people.

But I do disagree with what you said about higher level players using cheaper sticks in beer-league or what have you. Like someone else said, it may be generational. My dad played some high level college hockey and is a sick player (even at 60 lol) and he uses the old composite shaft with a wood blade combo... but all of the younger guys that either played high level Juniors or NCAA college hockey are using top of the line sticks.

Fanned On It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 05:27 PM
CarvinSigX

Just picked up a U+ CL 100 flex with a Tavares curve for $85. Thing feels like a feather.

Last edited by CarvinSigX: 04-30-2013 at 12:32 AM.
CarvinSigX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 12:18 AM
Splitbtw
Rebuild? Refresh?

After this season is over, I'm thinking about pulling back outbthe One95 I have to use to test out a switch back to a drury/staal curveb that I haven't used in over a year. My shooting mechanics have gotten much better so I'm curious to see how it'd work out now.

Splitbtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 01:27 AM
Trl3789

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanned On It View Post
You're right... and it's up to the consumers to be smart and educate themselves on what they're buying. At some point in a person's life, they (hopefully) realize what marketing and hype really is and they start to see through it. This usually comes with adult-hood when your priorities start to get in order as well as some gained wisdom.

The people that these manufacturers are are making their money from are the youth hockey players. From Mite to Juniors (in the US). Obviously, the kids buy in to all of this hype and want the best stick available to them. This starts a sort of chain reaction because once a few kids on a team/in an organization/at the rink get top of the line sticks, EVERYONE wants them. The kids start to think that they NEED these top of the line sticks to play well (like you touched on) and the parents start caving in to peer pressure (which you'd think they'd be smart enough not to). The parents don't want their kids to feel like the "poor kid" or "less privileged" kid, so they buy them whatever they want (to their own dismay). This is the case ESPECIALLY if you live in a solid hockey area that is home to upper-middle class/rich people.

But I do disagree with what you said about higher level players using cheaper sticks in beer-league or what have you. Like someone else said, it may be generational. My dad played some high level college hockey and is a sick player (even at 60 lol) and he uses the old composite shaft with a wood blade combo... but all of the younger guys that either played high level Juniors or NCAA college hockey are using top of the line sticks.
I just wanted to touch on the two points I've bolded. While I generally agree with what you're saying (marketing fools a lot of people into spending more than they need to), I think it's all relative to the level being played. As kids get older, and play more competitive hockey (or any other sport), they want to get every competitive advantage they can. I don't necessarily think kids feel like they need top end sticks to to play well. I think they want them so they don't feel like they're at a disadvantage. Same goes with the parents. Its not so much about worrying they're kids look poor, it's that they want to provide every possible opportunity for their child to succeed and/or reach their full potential.

I haven't had too much experience with a large number of different hockey sticks, but I imagine its similar to wood baseball bats. While bats all have to fall under the same length-weight guidelines (bats can weigh no more that 3oz less than their length. Ie 33in-30oz), there are a large number of options. They range in price anywhere from $30 to $200 and are made out of multiple types of wood. But as someone who played pretty competively, there is a HUGE difference in performance from the low end to the top end, even the mid levels to the top ends. Tighter grain, higher quality wood etc make all the difference. Now if I was swinging a $50 or even $100 bat and someone else had a $200 one, it wouldn't be jealousy or peer pressure that drove me to invest inthe more expensive bat. It would be the thought that I may be hurting my performance by using an inferior product. But that could just be because I'm super competitive and hated to lose. Now that I'm playing beer league I'm totally fine losing that small edge to save a few $'s.

Trl3789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 07:21 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Used the Forsberg last night, took my shots low. It was weird. Felt like the blade was curved too much (as in not straight). I think the stick is just a hair short and the lower lie is messing me up. Shots were meh, I got hold of one in warmups that was pretty hard but otherwise nothing great. One of my shots did create a rebound which was knocked in though, so that was good.

Maybe one more game with it, otherwise I might look to try a P88 instead so I can shoot from the middle of the blade.

Old
05-01-2013, 01:42 AM
AZcoyotes
So... Now what?

I'm looking at picking up a CCM RBZ soon. How do te flexes compare to those of Bauers? I use a 87 flex on APX and TotalOnes, but go 100 on Easton's.

AZcoyotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 10:02 AM
ZajacsShakes
Den-ee-oos Zoo-Broos

I'll use just about any stick as long as it has a very closed face, and a flex higher than 100.

ZajacsShakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 10:13 AM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhXcoyotes View Post
I'm looking at picking up a CCM RBZ soon. How do te flexes compare to those of Bauers? I use a 87 flex on APX and TotalOnes, but go 100 on Easton's.
Anyway for you to try it before buying?