HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Short Training Camp Update

Old
09-15-2006, 10:31 PM
Leslie Treff
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
Short Training Camp Update

I am going to write only one final training camp story, so I thought I would add info that will not make the story here.

I spoke to Don Maloney today regarding the decision to send Tomas Zaborsky back to Saginaw on Tuesday, rather than to keep him in Traverse City and then maybe bring him to New York to the main camp. He told me that the decision to send Zaborsky back to the OHL was made before the third game (in which Zaborsky scored two goals. BTW, Zaborsky claims that he should have had an assist on the last goal of regulation too), and that in hindsight he thinks that the team made a mistake in sending Zaborsky to Saginaw prior to Game 4. What the team was thinking was that Zaborsky had just come over from Europe and needed to get settled and comfortable to have a good OHL season, and that the Rangers would have the opportunity to see him again next fall. However, then he had a fantastic game, and that the team should have changed their minds. Maloney did say though, that Zaborsky probably would not have come to New York for the main training camp anyway. The team was very impressed with his play, but that most of the 2006 draft selectees were not ever expected to come to New York for the main camp this year.

I also spoke to both Hannu Pikkarainen and Tom Renney about Hannu's shoulder injury. Hannu first gave me the news that he will have to have surgery this coming week and that he will be out of action for about 4 months. When I asked Renney about it, he said that the damage to Pikkarainen's shoulder was extensive, akin to Montoya's injury, and that it would be quite a while before Hannu can play again.

That's all for tonight.

Leslie Treff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2006, 11:20 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie Treff View Post
I am going to write only one final training camp story, so I thought I would add info that will not make the story here.

I spoke to Don Maloney today regarding the decision to send Tomas Zaborsky back to Saginaw on Tuesday, rather than to keep him in Traverse City and then maybe bring him to New York to the main camp. He told me that the decision to send Zaborsky back to the OHL was made before the third game (in which Zaborsky scored two goals. BTW, Zaborsky claims that he should have had an assist on the last goal of regulation too), and that in hindsight he thinks that the team made a mistake in sending Zaborsky to Saginaw prior to Game 4. What the team was thinking was that Zaborsky had just come over from Europe and needed to get settled and comfortable to have a good OHL season, and that the Rangers would have the opportunity to see him again next fall. However, then he had a fantastic game, and that the team should have changed their minds. Maloney did say though, that Zaborsky probably would not have come to New York for the main training camp anyway. The team was very impressed with his play, but that most of the 2006 draft selectees were not ever expected to come to New York for the main camp this year.

I also spoke to both Hannu Pikkarainen and Tom Renney about Hannu's shoulder injury. Hannu first gave me the news that he will have to have surgery this coming week and that he will be out of action for about 4 months. When I asked Renney about it, he said that the damage to Pikkarainen's shoulder was extensive, akin to Montoya's injury, and that it would be quite a while before Hannu can play again.

That's all for tonight.
wow 4 months, thanks 4 the info. Please ask Maloney and staff why was Kveton kept over Zaborsky who played better? Why not send Kveton back instead, and what do they think about this Ryan Constant kid??? Any chance he will get signed with the Pikkarainen injury?? And what about Francis Lessard, I know he is a less skilled Strudwick, can play forward and defense, what will he play on the Pack or Rangers if signed??? And please ask Maloney, why Purinton is back????

Last edited by BDubinskyNYR17*: 09-15-2006 at 11:29 PM.
BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2006, 02:13 AM
Dubi

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHall18NYR View Post
What do they think about this Ryan Constant kid? And please ask Maloney, why Purinton is back????
I've got some info on both of these questions that I can contribute. First off, Leslie, nice to meet you at camp today.

I was told that Purinton was at home in BC a few days ago when he got a call from the Rangers asking if he could come to camp. He hopped on a plane and arrived just in time for medical/physical testing on Thursday. He was sporting a beard that he said was still there because he didn't even have time to shave.

Ryan Constant, who despite his anglicized name is a member of the Manitoba First Nation (native American), was supposed to go from Traverse City to Hartford training camp, but because of injuries that are keeping Mike Sauer and Hannu Pikkarainen out of camp, among other injured defensemen, was invited to Ranger training camp to help fill the roster.

Francis Lessard, on the other hand, is not a defenseman, he is a winger, and he is strictly an enforcer.

Dubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2006, 03:17 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubi View Post
I've got some info on both of these questions that I can contribute. First off, Leslie, nice to meet you at camp today.

I was told that Purinton was at home in BC a few days ago when he got a call from the Rangers asking if he could come to camp. He hopped on a plane and arrived just in time for medical/physical testing on Thursday. He was sporting a beard that he said was still there because he didn't even have time to shave.

Ryan Constant, who despite his anglicized name is a member of the Manitoba First Nation (native American), was supposed to go from Traverse City to Hartford training camp, but because of injuries that are keeping Mike Sauer and Hannu Pikkarainen out of camp, among other injured defensemen, was invited to Ranger training camp to help fill the roster.

Francis Lessard, on the other hand, is not a defenseman, he is a winger, and he is strictly an enforcer.
so Constant wont get signed?? and will Lessard get a chance to make the Rangers???

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2006, 04:59 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
"I think there's a race there of good young players ( for open roster spots), head coach Tom Renney said Friday. "He's certainly is one of them. He thrust himself to the forefront last year and all I've done is suggest to him exactly what I say to the others: 'Don't sit and wait. Do what you can to make our team now.' Brandon is trying to bring his A-game every day."

You heard it here first: Don't be shocked if he makes the club as a fourth-line player
http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey...ny-sports-mezz

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2006, 10:47 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubi View Post

I didn't know Dubi posted here. I been reading your stuff a long time man. Post here more often!

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2006, 11:10 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Personally I wouldn't be shocked at all.

This kids game translates very well in the NHL and especially this Rangers team.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote