HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

One GM has already contacted Nashville about the 4th overall pick

Old
05-01-2013, 12:27 PM
Janks
Pope Janks

vCash: 50
I'd imagine Feaster has inquired as well. Probably along the lines of CGY 1st and PIT 1st for NSH 1st and 2nd?

Janks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 12:28 PM
SaintMorose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janks View Post
I'd imagine Feaster has inquired as well. Probably along the lines of CGY 1st and PIT 1st for NSH 1st and 2nd?
Doesnt the NASH 2nd belong to Montreal? or am I thinking of someone else?

SaintMorose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 12:30 PM
Janks
Pope Janks

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintAnton View Post
Doesnt the NASH 2nd belong to Montreal? or am I thinking of someone else?
You're right, just checked. well shucks, there goes my idea.

Janks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 12:31 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

vCash: 500
If Nashville loves Barkov the way they're rumored to, I don't see them moving down.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 12:56 PM
GordieHoweHatTrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurGocIsAnAwesomeGoc View Post
If Nashville loves Barkov the way they're rumored to, I don't see them moving down.
I find it really hard to believe that any team not picking #1 overall would be airing out their intentions forthe draft, unless their bs'ing.

GordieHoweHatTrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 01:22 PM
s7ark
TheWorstEver

Quote:
I don't know about that. Nashville has a ready to compete D/G and are in a somewhat precarious market. Barkov could be fantastic, but he might take 2-3 years to get there. If the Nashville owner wants a faster re-tool than that, and their GM likes another player almost as much as Barkov(say Lindholm or Monahan), I could see them moving down a few spots if they picked up a roster forward.

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 01:26 PM
Perro

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
I don't know about that. Nashville has a ready to compete D/G and are in a somewhat precarious market. Barkov could be fantastic, but he might take 2-3 years to get there. If the Nashville owner wants a faster re-tool than that, and their GM likes another player almost as much as Barkov(say Lindholm or Monahan), I could see them moving down a few spots if they picked up a roster forward.
Calgary's 1st, Stajan, and a 2014 2nd?

Perro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 01:26 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Maybe, but they did get Forsberg for Erat. Didn't stop Poile there...

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 01:43 PM
s7ark
TheWorstEver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perro View Post
Calgary's 1st, Stajan, and a 2014 2nd?
Yeah, something like that. Nashville may be targeting more skill though and perhaps adding something to their pick to get it. They have lots of 2-way forwards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
Maybe, but they did get Forsberg for Erat. Didn't stop Poile there...
One deal isn't a pattern. It's fair to say that the Preds may not have the fan support yet to do an Oilers type rebuild. They probably won't able to afford a few years at the bottom. So especially after dealing a proven roster player for a young talented maybe, I think Poile might be itching to try to add real NHLers to that forward group for next season.

Old
05-01-2013, 01:51 PM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

Quote:
in fairness, how do you know nashville loves barkov? reading numerous HF posts and twitter bloggers drooling over him knowing jones, MacKinnon and Droin will probably be off the board?

all we know for fact is that Poile said there are 6 special players in this draft. And he hates picking in the lottery.

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 02:04 PM
Djp

They love Barkov beacause they are picking 4th and he is ranked 4th on boards.

Nashville has accumilate their picks over the years...If you look at their roster many of their players are in that 22-27 age range. Their oldest players are at Center, golaie, and Hall Gill.

they were 4th last year, this year they dropped. they traded Erat whiuch deflated the team. Earlier in the season there were some injuries and inconsistancies plus the loss of a few veterans on their club.

They could easily use this pick to acquire a veteran player wwho would help them offensively now--not 2-4 yrs from now. In 204 years these players will be older and thus either gone or a higher cost.

This could be either trading the pick for a player or a big trade down and getting player(s) in return. trading down from 4th to 14th-24th.

Djp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 02:09 PM
deckercky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post
I don't imagine any of those are enough.

Columbus could make an offer, but it would probably have to include both its pick and one of its other 1sts.
I imagine that for Columbus to get the 4th overall with picks alone, it would take all three of their 1st round picks (probably balanced with a high second coming back or something). Nashville would surely get some players with 3 middle of first round picks, and there's a chance Nashville wins the trade, but the consensus top player being drafted goes to Columbus.

deckercky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 02:09 PM
Djp

Quote:
. So especially after dealing a proven roster player for a young talented maybe, I think Poile might be itching to try to add real NHLers to that forward group for next season.
Erat was expendable and the upside with Forsberg is worth it big time. I dont read much into it. They took it because the opportunity was there.

If Nashville goes through another major rebuild it would put the team at risk. They past couple of seasons they have been good and in the playoffs but only advanced one time.

Part of the Erat trade unloaded a high salary so they would be in the market for a trade or to sign as a UFA a player who could help the team now.

Old
05-01-2013, 02:15 PM
Leafs87
Mr. Steal Your Job

I think it may have been nonnis. There was an article saying mlse (our owners) really likes the top prospects this year

Leafs87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 02:15 PM
Djp

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckercky View Post
INashville would surely get some players with 3 middle of first round picks, and there's a chance Nashville wins the trade, but the consensus top player being drafted goes to Columbus.
You are missing the point....Nashville isnt looking to accumilate more picks. they would be looking to add a player they could use now.

Columbus could offer their pick at 14 + a veteran player for Nashville pick at #4.

In many threads this has been mentioned of Vanek + Min #16 to Nashville for their #4 + players/other picks.

Toronto could offer JVR to move up from their pick to Nashvilles.

Old
05-01-2013, 02:39 PM
couture23
Sabres & Red Sox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafs87 View Post
I think it may have been nonnis. There was an article saying mlse (our owners) really likes the top prospects this year
Everyone likes the top prospects this year.

couture23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 02:47 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

vCash: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djp View Post

Nashville has accumilate their picks over the years...If you look at their roster many of their players are in that 22-27 age range. Their oldest players are at Center, golaie, and Hall Gill.

they were 4th last year, this year they dropped. they traded Erat whiuch deflated the team. Earlier in the season there were some injuries and inconsistancies plus the loss of a few veterans on their club.

They could easily use this pick to acquire a veteran player wwho would help them offensively now--not 2-4 yrs from now. In 204 years these players will be older and thus either gone or a higher cost.

This could be either trading the pick for a player or a big trade down and getting player(s) in return. trading down from 4th to 14th-24th.
Nail on the head. Although having said that we also don't know if they indeed do like Barkov.

InfinityIggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 02:54 PM
bottomofthefoodchain

Wouldn't be surprised if Nashville picks Lindholm.

bottomofthefoodchain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 02:56 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
First, I'm not sure I'd call Nashville a precarious market, but that's your opinion.

Second, reports are that Barkov is probably the second most NHL ready player in the draft, behind only Mackinnon.

Third, I don't think taking the BPA (and the last real difference making forward available in this draft, not counting VN) signals some kind of Oilers style rebuild.

This year was very likely a fluke, due to missing almost two lines of forwards for the last month and a half of the season. A smart draft and a smarter free agency, and Nashville should be right back to where they were.

Adding Matt freaking Stajan doesn't change that. Nashville has waited virtually its entire existence to draft a forward this level...I'm sorry, I just don't see it trading one great piece for 2 or 3 "goods."

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 03:20 PM
JacketsFanWest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djp View Post
Barkov is a good fit with the Preds. He's very solid defensively, smart, hardworking type of player.

If Drouin was 4th, then things might be different. He would add an offensive threat to the Preds, but I'm not sure he's a Trotz type of player.

Elias Lindholm and Filip Forsberg have a history together playing in international competitions, so there's one consideration. Last year at the U18 tournament, once Lindholm and Forsberg were paired up, the Swedes were unstoppable and Forsberg needs that type of playmaking center. But Barkov would be just as good as Lindholm at that role.

If the Preds traded down (maybe with the Jackets) for #14 and drafted Wennberg, they'd also get a great playmaking center, but not quite as dynamic of one as Barkov or Lindholm.

JacketsFanWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 03:24 PM
QuadrupleDeke
33% more deke

George McPhee, asking for the other half of the Forsberg trade.

QuadrupleDeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 05:21 AM
Bryanbryoil
Bozo Buddies

Most teams will at least kick tires a bit, if Poile is willing to deal the pick what about Gagner and #7 overall for #4 overall? Some of my fellow Oilers fans would be PO'd at the deal but IMO we'd get the big two way center that we could desperately use and Nashville could likely take Lindholm or Monahan at #7 and have Gagner available next season.

05-02-2013, 06:09 AM
Hemsky4PM

It really depends on how teams value Barkov, Drouin, Nichushkin, Monahan, Lindholm.

Jones and McKinnon are going 1-2, Tampa is a bit of a wildcard but likely to take Droin. Nashville is in the driver seat, but you never know, they might have interest in moving down (as low as 7, I doubt they would move lower).

They could REALLY use an offensive C, like Barkov...but if they think Lindholm or Monahan "project" as well as Barkov does - they might be interested. I don't think Calgary of Edmonton would really offer up anything tangible. Hemsky from Edmonton (plus Oilers 1st and they pick up 1.5M in Hemsky's 2013-2014 salary)? From Calgary...not sure what they would be willing to move.

Hemsky4PM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 12:29 PM
s7ark
TheWorstEver

Quote:
First, I'm not sure I'd call Nashville a precarious market, but that's your opinion.
That is why I added "somewhat". Nashville isn't a precarious market, but would they be in 3 years if they go for an Oilers type of rebuild? I think it's possible. Again just my opinion.

Quote:
Second, reports are that Barkov is probably the second most NHL ready player in the draft, behind only Mackinnon.
As a fan of a team that has had three 1sts in a row, "NHL ready" doesn't mean ready to be an impact player in the NHL. I highly suspect that if the only move Nashville makes this summer is adding a 18/19 yo Barkov, they will likely be on the outside of the playoffs next season as well. In 2-3 years, Barkov + the current roster might be enough to get it done. But if you pin your hopes for next season on teenagers, you will probably be disappointed.

Quote:
Third, I don't think taking the BPA (and the last real difference making forward available in this draft, not counting VN) signals some kind of Oilers style rebuild.
I didn't mean to suggest it did. My thoughts were that the loss of Suter, and then the trading of Erat for a young kid, put Nashville behind where they were the past few seasons. They didn't have much luck in adding the forwards needed to compete when they had W+S, but they know they need to get those kind of guys. So they can either hope that this time a trade/signing brings them a top forward, they can spend a couple of years at the bottom to draft the guys they need and wait for them to mature, or they can try to do it all this season, by trading down a few spots for a Lindholm/Monahan level player and picking up another top 6er while doing so.

At least that is how I see their options.

Quote:
This year was very likely a fluke, due to missing almost two lines of forwards for the last month and a half of the season. A smart draft and a smarter free agency, and Nashville should be right back to where they were.
Could be, for sure, but most every non-playoff team is just a few less injuries and a few player pick ups away from getting into the playoffs. What makes Nashville's chances of having that happen better than every other team?

Quote:
Adding Matt freaking Stajan doesn't change that. Nashville has waited virtually its entire existence to draft a forward this level...I'm sorry, I just don't see it trading one great piece for 2 or 3 "goods."
I didn't suggest it did. In fact I specifically said that the Preds would probably look for more skill. So from Calgary, Cammy or Tanguay might be of interest. From the Oilers, Paajarvi or Hemsky. Etc.

Old
05-02-2013, 12:45 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by stokes84 View Post
Darcy Regier confirmed that he spoke to teams above them about moving up yesterday on Sabres Hockey Hotline this morning.
That fact, plus Poile's and Regier's history on past trades, is why I'd bet money it was Regier who called Poile. Even the description from Poile of the call - "what it would take to get the 4th" - is almost verbatim how Regier characterized his inquiries in the WGR550 interview on Tuesday.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote