HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

The Vanek Thread

Old
05-01-2013, 11:49 AM
DevilChuk*
(not that -chuk)

vCash: 500
Extended Vanek (8 years, reasonable cap hit)
1st (9th overall)
Henrique

No extension (1 year of Vanek + ability to flip at deadline or negotiate extension)
1st (9th overall)
Merril
Tedenby/2nd round pick

Not entirely sure I'd do that first one but it would certainly be a tough decision.

In an earlier thread, Buffalo fans suggested this and many thought it was fair:

2013 1st (9th overall)
2014 2nd (conditional - becomes 5th if Vanek does not re-sign)
Jon Merril

for

Thomas Vanek
Luke Adam
2014 2nd (conditional - if Vanek does not re-sign)

Basically:

If Vanek re-signs: 1st + Merril + 2nd for Vanek
If Vanek doesn't sign: 1st + Merril for Vanek + 2nd

I'd be willing to pay a tad more but 9th overall + Merril is a lot to give up for potentially only a year of Vanek.

Last edited by DevilChuk*: 05-01-2013 at 11:55 AM.
DevilChuk* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 11:54 AM
nEaLB4ZoD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wondercarrot View Post
why on earth would Vanek agree to a sign and trade?
he can go wherever he wants at the end of the year, why diminish the team he's heading to?

why would he agree to sign anything at all? he'll stay play hard for Buffalo and if they trade him they trade him - probably at the deadline as a rental.

anyone who trades for him is taking their chances.
Because he probably wouldn't want to waste a year of his life in limbo on a team that is going nowhere. Besides I really don't think Vanek cares about the picks and prospects that may not play on team for years to come.

nEaLB4ZoD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 12:03 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Expert View Post
Ottawa did it with Hossa in 05 when they traded him for Heatley. I believe they signed him to a 3 year 18$ mil contract and shipped him to Atlanta.
good call

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 12:05 PM
Djp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhinogol View Post
how about

BUF
Vanek
38thOV

EDM
MPS
7thOV
Hartikainen
38th is too much....lowere that to the STL pick they have or one of their 2014 2nds (LA or MN)

Djp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 12:05 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilChuk View Post
Extended Vanek (8 years, reasonable cap hit)
1st (9th overall)
Henrique

No extension (1 year of Vanek + ability to flip at deadline or negotiate extension)
1st (9th overall)
Merril
Tedenby/2nd round pick

Not entirely sure I'd do that first one but it would certainly be a tough decision.

In an earlier thread, Buffalo fans suggested this and many thought it was fair:

2013 1st (9th overall)
2014 2nd (conditional - becomes 5th if Vanek does not re-sign)
Jon Merril

for

Thomas Vanek
Luke Adam
2014 2nd (conditional - if Vanek does not re-sign)

Basically:

I'd be willing to pay a tad more but 9th overall + Merril is a lot to give up for potentially only a year of Vanek.
done deal

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 12:09 PM
Djp

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilChuk View Post
Basically:

Buffalo will get a better offers without the conditions on him resigning..

Old
05-01-2013, 12:17 PM
DevilChuk*
(not that -chuk)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djp View Post
Buffalo will get a better offers without the conditions on him resigning..
Then they should take them.

I don't get why people think bidding wars must and spontaneously occur.

That's what I'd offer from the Devils. If another team offers more, that doesn't mean anything other than that team values Vanek more. It doesn't mean I have to run back and throw in another few first round picks and top prospects.

Devils aren't giving up more than that for one year of Vanek. We need forward depth and we're not sacrificing a chance to pick a future top forward in the draft for one year of a top forward in Vanek.. and then some.

DevilChuk* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 03:28 PM
Nuke

Buffalo - Los Angeles (Vanek)

To Los Angeles:

- Thomas Vanek
- Enroth

To Buffalo:

- Jonathan Bernier
- Tyler Toffoli
- 2014 1st

Note - Buffalo can take on a cap dump as well if need be.

Last edited by Nuke: 05-01-2013 at 03:37 PM.
Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 03:33 PM
Djp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuke View Post
To Los Angeles:

- Thomas Vanek
- 2014 2nd

To Buffalo:

- Jonathan Bernier
- Tyler Toffoli
- 2014 1st

Note - Buffalo can take on a cap dump as well if need be.
Buffalo already has LA 2nd in 2014.

buffalo deosnt need Bernier.

LA would need a goalie to play a back up role.

2014 1st would be in the 20s. a 50/50 pick.

toffolli is fine

LA would need to add a player nor named Bernier...or its something like Bernier for Enroth

Old
05-01-2013, 03:36 PM
Nuke

Swap the 2nd going to LA for Enroth.

Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 03:42 PM
nEaLB4ZoD

Quote:
Please do not trade Enroth. He was absolutely money down the stretch when he was given his chance. He might end up being better than Bernier himself and he deserves a shot to be the starter.

Old
05-01-2013, 03:53 PM
ZeroPT
Tanky as ****

Quote:
38th is too much....lowere that to the STL pick they have or one of their 2014 2nds (LA or MN)
Meh, not really interested in many people in the 2nd round, apart from samuel morin,anthony duclair and klimchuk(if he falls).

ZeroPT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 03:54 PM
Djp

Quote:
Its not that simple....

I think the asking price for Vanek by the Kings would be Toffoli + Dustin Brown.

He is the only player they would take a chance on of those who are UFAs after 13/14 season.

Bufalo would take the chance on Brown and sign him to an extension. He would be their prime target of he tests UFAs next year. He is from WNY area in ithica, NY. Likely followed the sabres as a kid.

Old
05-01-2013, 04:15 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Its not that simple....

I think the asking price for Vanek by the Kings would be Toffoli + Dustin Brown.

He is the only player they would take a chance on of those who are UFAs after 13/14 season.

Bufalo would take the chance on Brown and sign him to an extension. He would be their prime target of he tests UFAs next year. He is from WNY area in ithica, NY. Likely followed the sabres as a kid.
You need to get off the Brown thing. LA's not trading him.
Also, Buffalo is rebuilding, which, by it's definition, means the most valuable assets coming back are going to be futures. Toffoli is a good start. I'm not sure how LA/BUF would be able to round out a deal though, with LA looking like they'll run into cap trouble soon (50m committed to 14 players in 13-14).

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 04:15 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Its not that simple....

So the Kings give up their captain and their top forward prospect for one year of Vanek? I doubt it.

05-01-2013, 04:18 PM
cybresabre
Sir Hellcat

Send a message via ICQ to cybresabre
Quote:
Its not that simple....

I find it hard to believe the Kings would offer up their Cup winning captain and their top prospect for one year of a pricey Vanek.

Last edited by cybresabre: 05-01-2013 at 04:19 PM. Reason: beaten by the punch!
cybresabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 06:04 PM
wunderpanda
Sabretage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhinogol View Post
how about

BUF
Vanek
38thOV

EDM
MPS
7thOV
Hartikainen
deal

wunderpanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 06:09 PM
Andre Benoit Bawls
What, Me Worry?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by nEaLB4ZoD View Post
You guys don't seriously think Vanek is getting traded within the division do you?
Vanek has 1 year left. Will Buffalo compete next year?

Andre Benoit Bawls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 06:29 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The OttoMan Lion View Post
Vanek has 1 year left. Will Buffalo compete next year?
It would be foolish for Regier to limit the possible return based on anything. Heck, if Horton doesn't return, the Bruins could very well be interested and they have the sort of horses in their prospect pool to get a deal done.

Edit - by the time the Sabres are competitive again, Vanek will be long in the tooth even if he does re-sign with whoever acquires him. If that's in the division, does it really matter while the Sabres are queuing up for the Ekblad and McDavid derbies? I don't think so.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 10:41 PM
KingCanadain1976

Quote:
Buffalo already has LA 2nd in 2014.

buffalo deosnt need Bernier.

LA would need a goalie to play a back up role.

2014 1st would be in the 20s. a 50/50 pick.

toffolli is fine

LA would need to add a player nor named Bernier...or its something like Bernier for Enroth
Ill start with buffalo not needing bernier If ur tradeing vanek u may as well trade millar and bernier would be the perfect replacement to stay with eroth as a 1a 1b sorta battle for the starter role.
Next theres no way in my opinion la trades there first next year We already traded there 2nd if they trade there first they wouldnt pick till 3rd round. Hopefully the kings have realized they need to continue picking players in the 1st couple rounds to stay sucessful.
Next we would not necessaryly need a goalie coming back in a trade. There are serveral viable options for cheaper on the fa list or in a trade. The kings also have jones who maybe ready to make the jump.

The only way we trade for vanek is if u take half of his salary. We have alot of rfa and ufas to resign.

As for toffoli im not sure we would trade him before at least trying him in the nhl for a year. As a organization we invested alot time and hes finally ready to take that next step. Dl is in love with the kid and hes shown alot at every level. He has furture 1 rw written all over him.

Now ive seen alot of buffalo fans say they would take half vaneks salary. So with that said i could see la offering
bernier
martinez
buffalo choice of king nolan kozun

for
vanek at half cap

KingCanadain1976 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 10:46 PM
KingCanadain1976

Quote:
Its not that simple....

there is no way la is tradeing brown sorry

Old
05-01-2013, 10:46 PM
Djp

[QUOTE=King
bernier
martinez

for
vanek at half cap[/QUOTE]

Buffalo has NO reason to get Bernier now. they aquired a golaie in Hackett from minnesota and besides enrother, they will have at the AHL next season Makarov out of the WHL (He was one of the top goalies in the league this year)

Buffalo has no purpose for a cap dump in Martinez.

they will get better offers elsewhere.

Old
05-01-2013, 10:50 PM
nEaLB4ZoD

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingCanadain1976 View Post
Ill start with buffalo not needing bernier If ur tradeing vanek u may as well trade millar and bernier would be the perfect replacement to stay with eroth as a 1a 1b sorta battle for the starter role.
Next theres no way in my opinion la trades there first next year We already traded there 2nd if they trade there first they wouldnt pick till 3rd round. Hopefully the kings have realized they need to continue picking players in the 1st couple rounds to stay sucessful.
Next we would not necessaryly need a goalie coming back in a trade. There are serveral viable options for cheaper on the fa list or in a trade. The kings also have jones who maybe ready to make the jump.

The only way we trade for vanek is if u take half of his salary. We have alot of rfa and ufas to resign.

As for toffoli im not sure we would trade him before at least trying him in the nhl for a year. As a organization we invested alot time and hes finally ready to take that next step. Dl is in love with the kid and hes shown alot at every level. He has furture 1 rw written all over him.

Now ive seen alot of buffalo fans say they would take half vaneks salary. So with that said i could see la offering
bernier
martinez

for
vanek at half cap
Absoluetly brutal for Buffalo. You have to give to get and there is absolutely no way in hell Vanek is going to LA without at least a first rounder or Toffoli coming back. Bernier who would be nice but we don't need and, Martinez who we don't need and isn't that great, and average players/prospects, yea don't think so.

Old
05-01-2013, 10:53 PM
KingCanadain1976

Quote:
Buffalo has NO reason to get Bernier now. they aquired a golaie in Hackett from minnesota and besides enrother, they will have at the AHL next season Makarov out of the WHL (He was one of the top goalies in the league this year)

Buffalo has no purpose for a cap dump in Martinez.

they will get better offers elsewhere.
In what world is Martinez ( who is paid 737,500) and is a rfa top 4 25 year who has shown he can play top 4 mins ( before his injury) a cap dump

As for ur thinking bufflao doesnt need bernier that ur opinion I belive a combo of him and Jhonas Enroth would be a better combo then Jhonas Enroth an any combo of Hacket or Makarov

Old
05-01-2013, 11:07 PM
KingCanadain1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by nEaLB4ZoD View Post
Absoluetly brutal for Buffalo. You have to give to get and there is absolutely no way in hell Vanek is going to LA without at least a first rounder or Toffoli coming back. Bernier who would be nice but we don't need and, Martinez who we don't need and isn't that great, and average players/prospects, yea don't think so.
well thats fine hes not going there. He makes to much money for most teams and hes only got one year left. He has said he doesnt want to play in a rebuild. ( lowers trade rumours no matter how u word it) with cap going down also lowers value. He is a ablosoutley a top 5 lw in the league but lw is a postion that has the weekest value imo. He would be a nice piece to add but hes not really needed by la. Hence the solid but low offer by me.

Next i dont think u are giving martinez a fair evaulation. He was rock soild in last years playoff with greene. I belive i read somewhere they didnt give up a goal all last years playoffs. Alec also has the best instints on the kings when to join the rush. I cant remember one time when he join in and they got scored against. He was playing top 4 mins on a better defensive team then bufflao. He would easyly be there if traded there. Cheap top4 rfa defenseman are valueable