HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Adirondack Phantoms (2013-14 schedule in post #973)

Closed Thread

Old
04-29-2013, 12:01 AM
ilovetheflyers8

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
does anyone else find it strange that akesons names is pronounced ack-eh-sun and not ache-sun or ache-eh-sun?

just me? ok carry on
I've assumed that it was Ache-sun.

Old
04-29-2013, 12:05 AM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetheflyers8 View Post
I've assumed that it was Ache-sun.
unless everyone is just pronouncing it wrong, the broadcasting crew were all calling him ack-eh-sun.

Old
04-29-2013, 02:10 AM
PALE PWNR

vCash: 1050
Quote:
unless everyone is just pronouncing it wrong, the broadcasting crew were all calling him ack-eh-sun.
eh thats how I always saw it as, and then I heard someone pronounce it as Ache-son and I was confused. Then the chick on Sportsnite was calling him Acre-son. Then I was laughing and more confused.

Old
04-29-2013, 03:22 AM
tuckrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
The only reason I penciled onto the top line was because that's where Gagne was playing (so theoretically the position open for grabs) and because he has chemistry with Giroux (obviously offseason training as well as his skill level which makes that line ridiculously slick where passing ability is concerned).

I would be fine him on the 3rd line though, particularly with Laughton and Read if not Couturier and Read. They would help him out defensively.

Another point I want to make is that I don't necessarily know whether or not Hartnell will be on the top line next year.

So basically, if Akeson makes the team, the possibilities are:

Hartnell - Giroux - Voracek
Simmonds - Couturier - Schenn
Akeson - Laughton - Read
Rinaldo - Hall - Talbot

Akeson - Giroux - Voracek
Hartnell - Couturier - Schenn
Simmonds - Laughton - Read
Rinaldo - Hall - Talbot

Laughton - Giroux - Voracek
Hartnell - Schenn - Read
Simmonds - Couturier - Gagne
Rinaldo - Hall - Talbot

Gagne - Giroux - Voracek
Hartnell - Schenn - Read
Simmonds - Couturier - Akeson
Rinaldo - Laughton - Talbot

etc...
Me gusta...

Old
04-29-2013, 07:26 AM
Appleyard

vCash: 165
Quote:
His second name is Swedish, Åkeson, although an extremely uncommon second name.

Åke means (well it is debatable, but thought to) ancestor.

http://www.forvo.com/word/%C3%A5keson/ is it pronounced in Swedish, albeit a more northern dialect than I am used to hearing... all my Swedish friends are Scanian.

Old
04-29-2013, 10:17 AM
Coffe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appleyard View Post
His second name is Swedish, Åkeson, although an extremely uncommon second name.

Åke means (well it is debatable, but thought to) ancestor.

http://www.forvo.com/word/%C3%A5keson/ is it pronounced in Swedish, albeit a more northern dialect than I am used to hearing... all my Swedish friends are Scanian.

Just to derail this thread further off topic I might ad that the normal spelling would be Åkesson which is worn by roughly 9000 people today and translates as "Son of Åke". This is a heritage from the 19th and early 20th century where your surname would denote who your father was and thus boys would be named "son of X" and girls "daughter of X" (for example Eriksdotter). Depending on who was the most influential in the family sometimes children wore the mothers name instead, although this was uncommon. To this day the most common surname is "son of Johan", Johansson, as nowadays surnames are inherented.

I think Iceland still uses this principle though.

What was the topic at hand anyway? Oh right, prospects. Good to see Gus is going to the world champs.

Old
04-29-2013, 11:55 AM
BernieParent

I've got to stop coming to these boards. My brain is pretty much full of facts I'll never use in real life.

Old
04-29-2013, 12:05 PM
PhilaFlyers

vCash: 300
Anyone think Ghost might have a shot at making the team next year?

Old
04-29-2013, 12:07 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilaFlyers View Post
He's staying at Union another year.

Old
04-29-2013, 12:08 PM
PhilaFlyers

vCash: 300
Quote:
He's staying at Union another year.
Well that clears that up. For some reason I thought I heard he was leaving.

Old
04-29-2013, 12:08 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
I seriously doubt it, and frankly I wouldn't want him to. This team needs to stop fast-tracking prospects and re-establish a smart development system to maximize players' outcomes.

Old
04-29-2013, 12:47 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Well that clears that up. For some reason I thought I heard he was leaving.
I heard otherwise.

Besides, normally we would've signed him by now if he was going pro.

Old
04-29-2013, 02:42 PM
jd2210
Registered Non User

Quote:
When I first heard them say his name the thought that popped into my mind was how the aliens speak on "Mars Attacks"

Old
04-29-2013, 05:40 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
I heard otherwise.

Besides, normally we would've signed him by now if he was going pro.
I also think he would have signed by now, but Adam Clendening signed 6/1 last year so there is still a chance he could sign.

Old
04-30-2013, 04:18 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Here's an article on Stolarz on the Flyers website from Anthony SanFilippo.

http://flyers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?...id=DL|PHI|home

London will be playing The Barrie Colts in the OHL Finals. First game is on Friday.

Old
05-01-2013, 10:54 AM
ilovetheflyers8

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post

London will be playing The Barrie Colts in the OHL Finals. First game is on Friday.
I'm glad he is still taking classes, I often wonder if players who didn't finish school go and take Summer classes to finish up, especially with guys who have gone through three years like Mark Alt and then decide to leave . It is pretty cool that he has come so far from barely making it, I hope he makes the NHL.

Last edited by ilovetheflyers8: 05-01-2013 at 11:00 AM.
Old
05-01-2013, 10:57 AM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

vCash: 50
Quote:
I'm glad he is still taking classes, I often wonder if players who didn't finish school go and take Summer classes to finish up, especially with guys who have gone through three years like Mark Alt and then decide to leave .
Different sport, but Ben Roethlisberger finally got his degree from Miami either last year or the year before, so I think a lot of guys will still take classes. Too bad everyone at my school thinks Ben is a jerk ahah

05-01-2013, 11:01 AM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
I'm glad he is still taking classes, I often wonder if players who didn't finish school go and take Summer classes to finish up, especially with guys who have gone through three years like Mark Alt and then decide to leave .
I'm not sure. I've heard of football players doing it but they're required to spend at least three years on campus to be eligible for the NFL draft.

The highly touted hockey players usually leave college within a year or two. I would imagine those close to graduating do though. For example Islanders prospect Anders Lee left Notre Dame as a junior this year is currently back there finishing classes with their AHL not in the playoffs.

Old
05-01-2013, 11:09 AM
iceman42

Quote:
I'm not sure. I've heard of football players doing it but they're required to spend at least three years on campus to be eligible for the NFL draft.
just a point of clarity in the NFL its "at least three years must have passed since his high school class graduated"

Old
05-01-2013, 12:14 PM
Curufinwe

Quote:

Are the Finals on TV?

Old
05-01-2013, 12:18 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
Are the Finals on TV?
Unfortunately not here in the US. I'm sure there are streams out there though. They have been showing re-airings of games Saturday mornings on the NHL Network lately.

The NHL Network televises the entire Memorial Cup live though. Which London would be in if they can get past this round.

Old
05-03-2013, 11:41 AM
starbuck97

Anyone have an update on how Fredric Larsson progressed this year over in Sweden?

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=38937

Old
05-03-2013, 01:17 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
Quote:
I'm glad he is still taking classes, I often wonder if players who didn't finish school go and take Summer classes to finish up, especially with guys who have gone through three years like Mark Alt and then decide to leave . It is pretty cool that he has come so far from barely making it, I hope he makes the NHL.
I've actually always wondered if players do as well. Not just the ones that came from the NCAA, but ones from junior as well. For instance, someone like Claude Giroux. I don't know what he did after HS while he was playing in the Q, but I do see a few Sudbury Wolves player at Laurentian during the season. It would be interesting to know how many actually continue on after they've gone pro, and see if they still receive their degree. Or even if they start while they turn pro. They would obviously have to study part-time, but that's something I've always wondered.

Old
05-03-2013, 03:13 PM
ilovetheflyers8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDinklage Morgoone View Post
Different sport, but Ben Roethlisberger finally got his degree from Miami either last year or the year before, so I think a lot of guys will still take classes. Too bad everyone at my school thinks Ben is a jerk ahah
Haha.

Quote:

The highly touted hockey players usually leave college within a year or two. I would imagine those close to graduating do though. For example Islanders prospect Anders Lee left Notre Dame as a junior this year is currently back there finishing classes with their AHL not in the playoffs.
Oh, interesting. Yeah the only person I know of off the top of my head going to school during their career is Ken Dryden, but he actually took time off to do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
I've actually always wondered if players do as well. Not just the ones that came from the NCAA, but ones from junior as well. For instance, someone like Claude Giroux. I don't know what he did after HS while he was playing in the Q, but I do see a few Sudbury Wolves player at Laurentian during the season. It would be interesting to know how many actually continue on after they've gone pro, and see if they still receive their degree. Or even if they start while they turn pro. They would obviously have to study part-time, but that's something I've always wondered.
Somewhat related I've wondered how high school work for junior players. I imagine it would be hard to deal with school when they are playing 50-70 games a season.

Old
05-03-2013, 03:16 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
I know some of those guys just quit school altogether when they finish up high school. That's mostly guys who are high draft picks though and look to have a future in the NHL.

Charlie Coyle left Boston University to go to Saint John to focus more on hockey and not school recently for example.

Closed Thread