HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Predators match offer sheet issued to Weber (Teams' releases are in post #335)

Closed Thread

Old
09-14-2012, 09:35 PM
35NW8ING
#LaviPondHockeyFail

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevUpThoseGolfCarts View Post
People don't like to dump millions into something that hasn't earned them money. From what I've read, the Preds haven't turned a profit in quite a while (possibly never). I personally thought it was insane that they would shell out this much money on something that has never made them any profit, but now that I think about it maybe they believe that Weber can bring them a Stanley Cup and that (plus his name) will increase sales of merch andtickets.
News flash.....many hockey teams don't make a profit. The Nashville owners have already dumped millions into the team and arena in recent years, so putting money towards the team to help cover the signing bonuses isn't a problem and it's the furthest thing from financial suicide.

Had they not shown the willingness to put money from their own pockets into the team and arena, Weber's contract could be an issue. That is far from the case here.

These guys are multi millionaires and billionaires. They aren't the first, and will not be the last owners to put personal money into a professional sports team. Barring a Comcast type of corporate bailout that occurred here, these owners will continue to put their own money into the team and arena.

Also, Weber doesn't get paid anything until he signs his SPC. If it isn't signed by the time a lockout occurs he gets nothing. How much will it then cost Nashville?

Old
09-14-2012, 11:46 PM
RevUpThoseGolfCarts
Experts at losing

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35NW8ING View Post
News flash.....
Thanks

Old
09-14-2012, 11:56 PM
35NW8ING
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevUpThoseGolfCarts View Post
Thanks
No problem

Old
05-01-2013, 01:12 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKFlyers
We shall see. Suter was a key guy, someone will have to step up. Legwand and co. will have to have good seasons if you're going to be contenders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
If Suter had stayed, we'd have been Cup contenders. If he'd have brought Parise with him(like Weber thought he was going to), we'd have been co favorites in the West with Vancouver and LA

Without Suter we are likely still a solid playoff team, and if we can add a piece or two at the deadline, we should have a decent shot at a deep run

Great deep run by the Preds.....only thing deep has been their debt to Weber which has been made worse by not making the playoffs and losing much needed revenue to justify the signing....

That financial analyst the team hired to gauge the feasibility of signing him and the ROI is counting his Benjamins from all those fees he charged the billionaire owners who apparently just like losing money b/c they are magnanimous...

Weber would have been better suited on the Flyers..hence why he signed here initially. Too bad Poile got all butt hurt...

However, looks like you will get a good draft pick so that might help the fiscal bleeding..

Old
05-01-2013, 01:15 PM
dawkins121

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
Great deep run by the Preds.....only thing deep has been their debt to Weber which has been made worse by not making the playoffs and losing much needed revenue to justify the signing....

That financial analyst the team hired to gauge the feasibility of signing him and the ROI is counting his Benjamins from all those fees he charged the billionaire owners who apparently just like losing money b/c they are magnanimous...

Weber would have been better suited on the Flyers..hence why he signed here initially. Too bad Poile got all butt hurt...

However, looks like you will get a good draft pick so that might help the fiscal bleeding..
I'm still a little bitter too, but I don't think the Weber contract is the franchise-destroying albatross you're apparently hoping it is.

Old
05-01-2013, 01:17 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:

Weber has also stated he is there to stay for a rebuild recently. Which dampens my dreams of Weber ever joining the Flyers. Hopefully, just for my own personal selfish reasons, I hope that team struggles for the next few years!

How dare they keep their top defenseman and not let my hometown team poach him away using massive amounts of money!

Old
05-01-2013, 01:19 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
Weber has also stated he is there to stay for a rebuild recently. Which dampens my dreams of Weber ever joining the Flyers. Hopefully, just for my own personal selfish reasons, I hope that team struggles for the next few years!

How dare they keep their top defenseman and not let my hometown team poach him away using massive amounts of money!
They will be rebuilding until he is 35 and then like Morganti mentioned in one of the posts in this thread..the Flyers will get their guy..they always do even if he is used and washed up....Bryz is the latest example

Old
05-01-2013, 01:20 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

vCash: 50
Quote:

you do realize that run was stopped cold in its track by the same thing that stopped the Flyers from making that run. injuries. they really didn't have a ton of forward depth to begin with and thats where they were hit with injuries.

Old
05-01-2013, 01:20 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawkins121 View Post
I'm still a little bitter too, but I don't think the Weber contract is the franchise-destroying albatross you're apparently hoping it is.
Not making the playoffs consistently surely doesn't help..but it's only been 1 year...hopefully more

Old
05-01-2013, 01:21 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
you do realize that run was stopped cold in its track by the same thing that stopped the Flyers from making that run. injuries. they really didn't have a ton of forward depth to begin with and thats where they were hit with injuries.
Like Holmgren said...injuries are not an excuse ...

Old
05-01-2013, 01:23 PM
LegionOfDoom91

$27 million dollars for the 4th overall pick, well worth it!

Old
05-01-2013, 01:23 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Geez, you guys could at least clear out the cobwebs and sweep up the dead crickets when you bring these threads back. This place looks filthy.

05-01-2013, 01:26 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
$27 million dollars for the 4th overall pick, well worth it!
LOL...

But seriously...wonder who the Preds will draft but that is a nice pick to have...immediate dividends will be reaped or should be..

Old
05-01-2013, 01:29 PM
OriginJM
watch out im smart

god damn it why is this bumped

Old
05-01-2013, 01:32 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:
Like Holmgren said...injuries are not an excuse ...
so the Flyers still miss the playoffs if they had zero injuries?
Maybe Weber could of gotten the Flyers back to the 13th or 14th pick then right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Geez, you guys could at least clear out the cobwebs and sweep up the dead crickets when you bring these threads back. This place looks filthy.
well if our hockey team made the playoffs maybe we would have something to talk about

Old
05-01-2013, 01:32 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginJM View Post
god damn it why is this bumped
Because we need Weber still.....Poile should have let us have him dammit!

We would have no doubt made the playoffs unlike the Preds

Old
05-01-2013, 01:34 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
so the Flyers still miss the playoffs if they had zero injuries?
Who knows but I think so ...they couldn't get their crap together all year. I don't usually believe Holmgren but I think he has a point to some extent. Look at Ottawa..some serious injuries but showed more team cohesion than the Flyers..helped they had good goaltending too...to "erase mistakes."

Old
05-01-2013, 01:36 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
Who knows but I think so ...they couldn't get their crap together all year. I don't usually believe Holmgren but I think he has a point to some extent. Look at Ottawa..some serious injuries but showed more team cohesion than the Flyers..helped they had good goaltending too...to "erase mistakes."
The team did actually get better once Coburn and Briere were hurt. Addition by subtraction.

Old
05-01-2013, 01:36 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
LOL...

But seriously...wonder who the Preds will draft but that is a nice pick to have...immediate dividends will be reaped or should be..
Scouting lists would suggest Sasha Barkov. He could step in for them at one of the center spots next year.

Old
05-01-2013, 01:39 PM
Mgkibbles

I still remember feeling my heart drop when I saw this thread pop up last summer.

Old
05-01-2013, 01:40 PM
dawkins121

Quote:
The team did actually get better once Coburn and Briere were hurt. Addition by subtraction.
I remember seeing statistic somewhere that even during the playoffs when he was at his best, for every goal Danny scored he was responsible for like 3 of the other teams. That's how bad he was defensively. I didn't really take such a cherry picked stat at face value but I thought about it a lot every time Danny didn't play and the team defense was noticeably better...

Old
05-01-2013, 01:40 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:
oh no, you had to go there. As the Coburn fanboys come charging into this thread

Old
05-01-2013, 01:41 PM
dawkins121

Quote:
LOL...

Plus they got Forsberg when Washington's GM YOLO'd his way into Erat.

Old
05-01-2013, 01:43 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawkins121 View Post
I remember seeing statistic somewhere that even during the playoffs when he was at his best, for every goal Danny scored he was responsible for like 3 of the other teams. That's how bad he was defensively. I didn't really take such a cherry picked stat at face value but I thought about it a lot every time Danny didn't play and the team defense was noticeably better...
He is better served playing center..much more productive and a better offset to his defensive liabilities. But yeah the sun has set on Danny boy's time here....the outlays are more than his deposits.

Old
05-01-2013, 01:44 PM
Prongo
Beer

Between my damn twitter feed and this website we are all living in the past right now. Twitter discussing how we should have signed Niemi over Leighton(well no ****), the Carter ordeal in the one thread, and now this. Flyers fans have a real problem with letting go of the past. We all need to look forward.

Closed Thread