HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

2013 NHL TV Ratings

Closed Thread

Old
04-21-2013, 09:01 PM
charlie460
Stone Age Hockey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post
I'll get back to you Sunday night. Without computer access for the weekend.
Thanks!

Old
04-22-2013, 02:08 PM
Nicky Santoro

i still can't find the NBC rating from sun afternoon yet. if anyone sees it, can you post it? it went up against Lakers. that's gotta hurt a lot. also, more importantly, if anyone sees what it got in NY area, it'd be even better. it was a good game for NYR and against their crosstown rivals. i am hoping for at least a 3.2 in NY. thanks

BTW, Knicks in NY got a 7.9 for Gm 1. 2nd best rating ever for a knick game. very impressive.

Old
04-23-2013, 03:21 AM
ebox99

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2013...l-nba-ratings/

could be expected, last year’s NBA finalists averaged the highest local television ratings in the league during the 2012-13 regular season.

Fox Sports Oklahoma averaged an 8.65 rating for Thunder games during the 2012-13 regular season, according to Sports Business Journal — up 32% from last year (6.58), and the highest local average in the NBA. The 8.65 is the highest for any NBA team since the Spurs averaged an all-time NBA record 10.2 two years ago.

Ranking second for the season were the defending champion Heat on Sun Sports. Fueled by a 27-game winning streak in which games averaged a 9.1 rating, Sun Sports averaged a 7.07 for the 2012-13 season — up 7% from last year (6.59), and the highest average since LeBron James and Chris Bosh joined the team.

The Spurs, who led the local ratings race the past two seasons, ranked in third-place with a 6.44 average this year. That marks a 20% decline from last year’s 8.0, which was the second-best in team history.

The Lakers, as is typical, averaged the largest number of households during the regular season. Despite finishing in 7th place in the West, the team’s 4.64 rating on Time Warner Cable SportsNet was even with last year’s average on Fox Sports West. The Lakers crushed the Clippers, who averaged a 1.56 on FS West.

The Knicks were second in total number of homes, but the team’s 3.12 average rating on MSG Network declined 6% from last year’s record-high (3.30). Of course, considering how much hype the team attracted last season — not to mention the shortened 66-game slate — this year’s numbers are still impressive. As in Los Angeles, the more-established Knicks easily outdrew their crosstown rivals, pummeling the Nets on YES Network (0.96) by 225%.

Ranking fourth in homes, behind the Lakers, Knicks and Heat, were the Bulls. In large part due to the season-long absence of Derrick Rose, ratings for Bulls games on Comcast SportsNet Chicago dropped 44% — from last year’s 14-year high of 5.81 to a 3.23 this year.

Also on the decline this season were the Celtics, whose 2.92 rating on CSN New England marked a 10% decline from last year (3.24). According to Sports Business Journal, the Celtics’ average was the lowest since the 2006-07 season — the year before Kevin Garnett joined the team. By comparison, the Bruins averaged a 7.0 on NESN through the first half of the NHL’s abbreviated 48-game season.

Other notable averages from the 2012-13 season include the Warriors’ 2.85 on CSN Bay Area (+58%), the Rockets’ 1.05 on distribution-plagued CSN Houston (-34%), and the Bobcats’ 0.55 on SportSouth (-33%).

Old
04-23-2013, 03:32 AM
ebox99

http://www.showbuzzdaily.com/article...rikes-out.html

This weekend, the NBA playoffs got off to a solid start, with the eight games across two days and three networks up 6% from the same time periods last year. The Lakers, Heat and Celtics/Knicks all broke a 3.5 household rating this past weekend. Five of the weekend’s games were up significantly versus last year’s telecasts, while two were down and one was essentially unchanged. The ratings listed below are Household ratings in the 56 markets measured locally by Nielsen (covering 70% of the country’s population).

NBA

ABC Saturday 3:00 Boston-New York 3.7 rating (-3% from 3.8 for New York-Miami last year*)

ESPN Saturday 5:30 Golden State-Denver 2.4 rating (+20% from 2.0 for Philadelphia-Chicago TNT last year)

ESPN Saturday 8:15 Chicago-Brooklyn 2.6 rating (+24% from 2.1 for Orlando-Indianapolis last year)

ESPN Saturday 10:30 Memphis-Clippers 2.6 rating (-16% from 3.1 for Dallas-OKC last year)

TNT Sunday 1:15 Atlanta-Indianapolis 1.9 rating (-21% from 2.4 for Utah-San Antonio ESPN last year)

ABC Sunday 3:30 Lakers-San Antonio 4.6 rating (+18% from 3.9 for Denver-Lakers last year)

TNT Sunday 7:15 Milwaukee-Miami 3.6 rating (+20% from 3.0 for Boston-Atlanta last year)

TNT Sunday 9:45 Houston-OKC 3.3 rating (+14% from 2.9 for Clippers-Memphis last year)

COMBINED WEEKEND PLAYOFF GAMES 24.7 rating (+6% from 23.2 rating for same weekend last year)

* Note: “last year” indicates the same network, day and time period for the comparable telecast in 2012, unless otherwise indicated.

FOX had a good weekend with semi-sports NASCAR and UFC, both up from similar telecasts last year (with UFC up 35% from a similar Saturday night fight in early May).

NASCAR

FOX Sunday 1:15 Kansas 400 3.9 rating (+5% from 3.7 last year)

UFC

FOX Saturday 8:00 pm Henderson-Melendez 2.3 rating (+35% from 1.7 for Diaz-Miller on May 5, 2012)

CBS coverage of the RBC Heritage golf tournament lagged last year’s pace on Saturday but picked up enough steam Sunday to push the entire weekend coverage up slightly over last year.

PGA

RBC Heritage

CBS Saturday 3:00 Third Round 1.1 rating (-15% from 1.3 last year)

CBS Sunday 3:00 Final Round 2.0 rating (+25% from 1.6 last year)

COMBINED WEEKEND RATING 3.1 rating (+7% from 2.9 last year)

And then there’s baseball, collapsing almost 50% from last year’s rating to a lowly 1.5 rating for regional coverage Saturday afternoon. Last year’s duo of games featured the Yankees and the Red Sox, while this year’s trio included the White Sox and the other New York team.

MLB

FOX Saturday 3:00 various teams 1.5 rating (-46% from 2.8 last year)

Old
04-26-2013, 02:32 PM
Nicky Santoro

It seems like nobody ever posts in this thread anymore. when the season began i was so happy i was going to be able to get daily tv ratings from you all, but we hardly got any updates. maybe it was tougher this yr to get them. I haven't seen the likes of CanadaIsHockey or Lady Stanley much this yr. they were always feeding us with great info. hopefully we can be able to get some good juicy ratings this playoff. that i'd love.

anyways, last nights bulls got 318k market tv homes at peak time between 9:30-10. which means about 9.0 roughly. i think the hawks beat that this yr in their peak times during the streak.that is shocking, as it was a bulls playoff game.

https://twitter.com/JeffNuich

I am very curious Illinois/chicago guys.. i know this can never happen.. but if bulls played Gm 7 final and it went up against Hawks/Crosby Gm 7 final.. same time.. who do you think would win the ratings? My money is on the bulls and i don't think it'd even be close.. would i win my bet?? thanks

and boys, lets get this thread busy again. i love this thread, but we just don't get enough info in it. it's playoff time..

Old
04-26-2013, 02:36 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

vCash: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky Santoro View Post
It seems like nobody ever posts in this thread anymore. when the season began i was so happy i was going to be able to get daily tv ratings from you all, but we hardly got any updates. maybe it was tougher this yr to get them. I haven't seen the likes of CanadaIsHockey or Lady Stanley much this yr. they were always feeding us with great info. hopefully we can be able to get some good juicy ratings this playoff. that i'd love.

anyways, last nights bulls got 318k market tv homes at peak time between 9:30-10. which means about 9.0 roughly. i think the hawks beat that this yr in their peak times during the streak.that is shocking, as it was a bulls playoff game.

I am very curious Illinois/chicago guys.. i know this can never happen.. but if bulls played Gm 7 final and it went up against Hawks/Crosby Gm 7 final.. same time.. who do you think would win the ratings? My money is on the bulls and i don't think it'd even be close.. would i win my bet?? thanks

and boys, lets get this thread busy again. i love this thread, but we just don't get enough info in it. it's playoff time..
I only post when I have something to say, like when someone requests a number or if I'm just interested in a national one.

Only a 6.6 overall for the game, but yes, a 9.2 at 9:30.

Quote:
2013 NBA Playoffs
Brooklyn Nets at Chicago Bulls from The United Center
6.6 / 11
And Nicky, we've been over this like 10 times.

The Bulls would win by a lot. They have the tiebreak...the minorities. And that's a really large tiebreak.

Old
04-26-2013, 02:38 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

Also, someone requested some #Lumbus data a week ago and I totally spaced on it. Coming up...

Old
04-26-2013, 02:53 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

So to give us an idea of the possible improvement throughout the year, I've selected 5 early season games to give us something to compare to.

Jan 19th, Opening Night, @ NSH - 2.5/4
Jan 21st, Home Opener, v DET - 2.5/4
Feb 7th, v CGY - .8/1
Feb 24th, @ CHI - 1.3/2
Mar 7th, v VAN - .7/1

Apr 5th, @ STL - 2.5/4
Apr 15th, @ COL - 1.0/2
Apr 18th, @ LA - 1.0/2

Do they miss a lot of games because of the Cavs and Reds? Keep looking at dates where they list the Cavs instead, to .1 ratings. Due to that, I don't have many listings for late in the season. Hard to get a read on this when all the late season info I have is for late west coast games.

Old
04-26-2013, 03:39 PM
Nicky Santoro

IU, you are the best. thanks man. no posts in 1 week, and then 3 in a row by you with great info. i used to think CLB got bad ratings because they were so bad. but man, what a yr for them, a chance to make the playoffs and they are barely averaging not much more than 1.0. that's sad. i hope they don't make the playoffs. they don't deserve it.

and as for CHI.. i know bulls have the immigrants over hawks, but man.. 6.6 last night?? that's what the hawks averaging all season.. and this is the playoffs to boot.. now i am not so sure anymore the bulls would beat the hawks. if hawks are averaging this much in reg season, i am sure they will get 9.0+ in the 1st round.

Old
04-26-2013, 03:54 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

Minorities, not immigrants

But it's all context. Casuals aren't watching because everyone knows this team isn't a title contender. If they were in the Final(s), it'd be a totally different story.

Old
04-26-2013, 04:52 PM
Kashie14

vCash: 50
Quote:
IU, you are the best. thanks man. no posts in 1 week, and then 3 in a row by you with great info. i used to think CLB got bad ratings because they were so bad. but man, what a yr for them, a chance to make the playoffs and they are barely averaging not much more than 1.0. that's sad. i hope they don't make the playoffs. they don't deserve it.

and as for CHI.. i know bulls have the immigrants over hawks, but man.. 6.6 last night?? that's what the hawks averaging all season.. and this is the playoffs to boot.. now i am not so sure anymore the bulls would beat the hawks. if hawks are averaging this much in reg season, i am sure they will get 9.0+ in the 1st round.
Please bear in mind the game against Colorado started two hours later than home game, and the LA game I think started at 10:30 PM Columbus time. I don't think it's a coincidence that the most watchable of the games, the St. Louis one, did so much better than the others. Also, give it more than just a few weeks.

Old
04-27-2013, 06:11 AM
Morris Wanchuk

Send a message via AIM to Morris Wanchuk
Iu,

Have you seen the boston tv market ratings for the celtics playoff games?

Would be an interesting comparison heading into the NHL playoffs.

Old
04-27-2013, 08:07 AM
Nicky Santoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris Wanchuk View Post
Iu,

Have you seen the boston tv market ratings for the celtics playoff games?

Would be an interesting comparison heading into the NHL playoffs.
This one i believe is easy to predict. I say it will be horrible. the ratings have been down all yr and now they were never really in the series. they got blown out almost every game and went back home down 2-0 and got blown out again. i am sure ppl turned to the red sox games, who btw are doing great this yr. had this series been 1-1 coming home, it would have been much better. but being down 0-3, ppl are just more excited for the bruins.

The one that i'd love to see is STL. they have been great at the end of the season and winning each night.. going for home ice in the 1st round. i'd love to see how they fared vs the very popular Cardinals. IU buddy... if you're going to do BOS for this poster, and if you have an extra minute of your time, can you pls just do a few recent blues games.. thanks..

Old
04-28-2013, 11:02 PM
Anisimovs AK

Quote:

The Jackets are averaging a 1.7 actually. For a team thats been utter dog **** their entire existence. Also the only games at 1.0 or below started later than 9:00pm local time. Maybe you should google the Stanley Cup finals ratings broken down by cities with NHL teams, then you'd see Columbus in or near the top 10. 12th in 2011 for the finals with a 5.1 rating. Columbus also averaged a 22.3(8th out of all metered markets) for the 2010 gold medal game. Go back into your hole

Old
04-29-2013, 12:09 PM
Jax1166

SirusXM NHL just read data from an article on final ratings, anybody have a link?

Old
04-29-2013, 12:24 PM
Azkals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doakes View Post
SirusXM NHL just read data from an article on final ratings, anybody have a link?
http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/J.../NHL-RSNs.aspx

Old
04-29-2013, 06:28 PM
Bullwine85

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebox99 View Post
http://www.showbuzzdaily.com/article...rikes-out.html

This weekend, the NBA playoffs got off to a solid start, with the eight games across two days and three networks up 6% from the same time periods last year. The Lakers, Heat and Celtics/Knicks all broke a 3.5 household rating this past weekend. Five of the weekend’s games were up significantly versus last year’s telecasts, while two were down and one was essentially unchanged. The ratings listed below are Household ratings in the 56 markets measured locally by Nielsen (covering 70% of the country’s population).

NBA

ABC Saturday 3:00 Boston-New York 3.7 rating (-3% from 3.8 for New York-Miami last year*)

ESPN Saturday 5:30 Golden State-Denver 2.4 rating (+20% from 2.0 for Philadelphia-Chicago TNT last year)

ESPN Saturday 8:15 Chicago-Brooklyn 2.6 rating (+24% from 2.1 for Orlando-Indianapolis last year)

ESPN Saturday 10:30 Memphis-Clippers 2.6 rating (-16% from 3.1 for Dallas-OKC last year)

TNT Sunday 1:15 Atlanta-Indianapolis 1.9 rating (-21% from 2.4 for Utah-San Antonio ESPN last year)

ABC Sunday 3:30 Lakers-San Antonio 4.6 rating (+18% from 3.9 for Denver-Lakers last year)

TNT Sunday 7:15 Milwaukee-Miami 3.6 rating (+20% from 3.0 for Boston-Atlanta last year)

TNT Sunday 9:45 Houston-OKC 3.3 rating (+14% from 2.9 for Clippers-Memphis last year)

COMBINED WEEKEND PLAYOFF GAMES 24.7 rating (+6% from 23.2 rating for same weekend last year)

* Note: “last year” indicates the same network, day and time period for the comparable telecast in 2012, unless otherwise indicated.

FOX had a good weekend with semi-sports NASCAR and UFC, both up from similar telecasts last year (with UFC up 35% from a similar Saturday night fight in early May).

NASCAR

FOX Sunday 1:15 Kansas 400 3.9 rating (+5% from 3.7 last year)

UFC

FOX Saturday 8:00 pm Henderson-Melendez 2.3 rating (+35% from 1.7 for Diaz-Miller on May 5, 2012)

CBS coverage of the RBC Heritage golf tournament lagged last year’s pace on Saturday but picked up enough steam Sunday to push the entire weekend coverage up slightly over last year.

PGA

RBC Heritage

CBS Saturday 3:00 Third Round 1.1 rating (-15% from 1.3 last year)

CBS Sunday 3:00 Final Round 2.0 rating (+25% from 1.6 last year)

COMBINED WEEKEND RATING 3.1 rating (+7% from 2.9 last year)

And then there’s baseball, collapsing almost 50% from last year’s rating to a lowly 1.5 rating for regional coverage Saturday afternoon. Last year’s duo of games featured the Yankees and the Red Sox, while this year’s trio included the White Sox and the other New York team.

MLB

FOX Saturday 3:00 various teams 1.5 rating (-46% from 2.8 last year)
Do you have the ratings from the Milwaukee area by chance?

Old
04-30-2013, 02:19 PM
Teemu

Brian Moore ‏@BriTheWebGuy 1m
Comcast set a record for Blackhawks viewers this season--an average of 187,482 households watching per game. Wow.

Old
04-30-2013, 03:45 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullwine85 View Post
do you have the ratings from the milwaukee area by chance?
4.9/8

Old
04-30-2013, 04:12 PM
Alesle

http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.ht...t-twt-penguins
Quote:
ROOT SPORTS' Ratings for Pittsburgh Penguins Broadcasts Lead All U.S.-Based MLB, NBA or NHL Teams Since 2002

ROOT SPORTS™, the exclusive rights holder of Pittsburgh Penguins regional telecasts, announced today the network posted a 12.66 average household rating for the 2013 Penguins regular season, leading all U.S.-based NHL and NBA teams for the second year in a row and all U.S-based NHL teams for the fourth consecutive season. Additionally, this year’s ROOT SPORTS’ Penguins broadcasts have garnered the highest average regional sports network ratings for any U.S.-based MLB, NBA or NHL team since 2002.

Old
05-01-2013, 08:00 AM
Crease

Most-viewed NHL season on cable since 1993-94.

Quote:
As was the case in the NBA last year, the lockout-shortened NHL regular season was larger-than-normal draw on the league’s broadcast partners.

Coverage of the 2013 NHL regular season averaged 392,000 viewers on NBC Sports Network, up 18% from last year (332K), up 13% from the 2010-11 season (348K), and the most-viewed NHL season on cable since 1993-94 (474K).
http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2013...hip-nbc-solid/

Old
05-01-2013, 09:37 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

Hawks peaked at a 12 in OT last night. Looks like the game did an 8.5 overall if I did the math correctly...had to calculate it myself since OT ran into different programs in my listing.

Old
05-01-2013, 12:22 PM
Nicky Santoro

What i find simply amazing is how hockey has grown so much in chicago.. here is a stat.. in the last 5 yrs, CSN chicago has increased its ratings by a whopping 758%.. unreal..that is way more than even the pens.. or any other team in nba or mlb..

another thing that is amazing. the bulls on NBC... not cable, but NBC...drew 280k as its peak audience in one of the greatest games ever.. triple OT and they won to go up in the series 3-1... While yesterday, on CABLE, not NBC... CHI drew 417k at peak.. i love chicago. i want to move there. it's becoming more of an excited hockey town than Montreal..

IU, remember when i asked you who would draw a bigger gm 7, bulls or hawks and you said bulls because of minorities.. i am not sure anymore of that.. i am sure even you are now doubting it, right???

Boy, what i would pay for a hawks/pens SC final.. 2 best teams in NHL, TOEWS vs SID.. tons of hawks fans everywhere, and SID the KID...i would lay 6-1 that it'll be the highest rated SC final in US history.. I swear i think it might even give heat/spurs a run for its money, and would definitely beat Pacers/Griz.

Old
05-01-2013, 01:25 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

I still think you're doubting how into the Bulls this market would be if they were a legit contender, but that's just me.

Old
05-01-2013, 03:30 PM
Azkals

Quote:
What i find simply amazing is how hockey has grown so much in chicago.. here is a stat.. in the last 5 yrs, CSN chicago has increased its ratings by a whopping 758%.. unreal..that is way more than even the pens.. or any other team in nba or mlb..

another thing that is amazing. the bulls on NBC... not cable, but NBC...drew 280k as its peak audience in one of the greatest games ever.. triple OT and they won to go up in the series 3-1... While yesterday, on CABLE, not NBC... CHI drew 417k at peak.. i love chicago. i want to move there. it's becoming more of an excited hockey town than Montreal..

IU, remember when i asked you who would draw a bigger gm 7, bulls or hawks and you said bulls because of minorities.. i am not sure anymore of that.. i am sure even you are now doubting it, right???

Boy, what i would pay for a hawks/pens SC final.. 2 best teams in NHL, TOEWS vs SID.. tons of hawks fans everywhere, and SID the KID...i would lay 6-1 that it'll be the highest rated SC final in US history.. I swear i think it might even give heat/spurs a run for its money, and would definitely beat Pacers/Griz.
Maybe it has something to do with the fact that half of there games weren't shown on TV because the owner blacked out all the home games. Just a thought.

Closed Thread