Moving forward: how do we improve?

Old
04-28-2013, 07:42 PM
sully1410

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post

I still have dreams of Bogosian-Trouba
DUDE!!! Too much info! And besides...how would Grind feel if he knew you were having those thoughts!

Back on point...

Ron Hainsey > Bobby Orr. AINEC.

It's a fact. It's science.

sully1410 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 08:04 PM
surixon

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post
5v5:
With Enstrom: 2012-13 ~30, 2011-12 ~100 mins
With Oduya: 2011-12 ~250
With Hainsey: 2012-13 ~430, 2011-12 ~250
With Stuart: 2012-13 ~30, 2011-12 ~380

It's may be worth a shot but depends on a few factors:
*do we still have Buff
*who is our new 2nd LHD (Clitsome? Kulda? Hainsey? UFA? Trade?)
*if we don't have Buff who is our new 2nd RHD (Redmond? Postma? Trouba? UFA? Trade?)

Enstrom-Bogosian did get a bit of a run last season when Byfuglien was injured. From all indications, the Jets had their best results with Enstrom-Byfuglien & Hainsey-Bogosian. So, it depends on the new guy(s) and their chemistry/abilities.

I still have dreams of Bogosian-Trouba
Hahaha, that could be a beastly pairing down the road, but I don't think Trouba is ready for that role just yet.

You are correct that a lot will depend on the make up of the d-corps next year. I am going on the assumption that Buff will be moved out for forward help and possibly a new 2nd pairing D. What I would like to eventually see is a very balanced defense that has all elements on each pairing, so that we don't see Noel stacking all his offense or all his defense on a single pairing. This way it will be much harder for other teams to design game plans against us or line match against us.

surixon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 08:58 PM
truck
HFB Partner

vCash: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by surixon View Post
Hahaha, that could be a beastly pairing down the road, but I don't think Trouba is ready for that role just yet.

You are correct that a lot will depend on the make up of the d-corps next year. I am going on the assumption that Buff will be moved out for forward help and possibly a new 2nd pairing D. What I would like to eventually see is a very balanced defense that has all elements on each pairing, so that we don't see Noel stacking all his offense or all his defense on a single pairing. This way it will be much harder for other teams to design game plans against us or line match against us.
I don't see Buff-Toby as an easy pairing to handle. In general they have beaten top opponents.

truck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 11:05 AM
SensibleGuy

I'll tell ya, watching the games last night was a bit of a revelation in regards to what a power play is supposed to look like. Man...that needs to improve in a major way next season.

SensibleGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 11:09 AM
hockeyarena

vCash: 1503
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensibleGuy View Post
I'll tell ya, watching the games last night was a bit of a revelation in regards to what a power play is supposed to look like. Man...that needs to improve in a major way next season.
Absolutely. Even watching the Kings who didn't play very well, they at least sustain pressure for 75% of the 2 minutes.

hockeyarena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 11:10 AM
Guardian17
Strong & Free

Quote:

Not just the powerplay!

I admired how both teams made passes that were tape-to-tape rather than tape-to-skate or tape-to-behind the player receiving the pass!

Guardian17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 11:13 AM
SensibleGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian17 View Post
Not just the powerplay!

I admired how both teams made passes that were tape-to-tape rather than tape-to-skate or tape-to-behind the player receiving the pass!
Yes this too.

Old
05-01-2013, 11:35 AM
Gm0ney

vCash: 1300
Quote:
Yes this too.
Ha ha...I was thinking the same thing. "My GOD look at those crisp passes!" How the Jets do as well as they do while fumbling and bumbling their way up ice is a bit of a miracle...

Gm0ney is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 11:48 AM
Andy6
Court Jetster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gm0ney View Post
Ha ha...I was thinking the same thing. "My GOD look at those crisp passes!" How the Jets do as well as they do while fumbling and bumbling their way up ice is a bit of a miracle...
It's true. They do do well in spite of the bumbling. They have some truly talented players with speed and a scoring touch. They need to tighten up with more basic skills and maturity in their own end and more confident breakouts. Whether that comes from the draft, trades, growing up or coaching is the question (likely all of these, of course).

Andy6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 12:19 PM
SensibleGuy

I didn't watch every minute of every game last night, but I don't recall seeing very many no-look, behind the back passes in the D zone either. That's something we were seeing 3 or 4 times a game this past season from the Jets. What's up with that? I mean how many goals were scored against us as a result of turn-overs on that kind of cute stuff? Half a dozen? Probably more...

It'll be interesting to see if having a real, full and normal preseason has an impact on fundamentals like that.

Old
05-01-2013, 01:05 PM
sipowicz
The Original

vCash: 1989
Anyone see this from the Jets site, I also voted for Clitsome.

In your opinion, which Jet improved the most this season from last?

Zach Bogosian:
16.53%
Grant Clitsome:
29.73%
Andrew Ladd:
24.39%
Bryan Little:
7.27%
Evander Kane:
10.12%
Ondrej Pavelec:
11.95%

Have to say that Pavs, Little and Bogo's games pretty much stayed the same while Ladd, Kane and Clitsome improved over the previous season.

Last edited by sipowicz: 05-01-2013 at 01:10 PM.
sipowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 01:08 PM
broinwhyteridge
bro license revoked!

Quote:
It reminded me of that time Noel said "they were playing chess and we were playing checkers" or something to that effect.

broinwhyteridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 11:13 AM
Gil Fisher

Interesting Stat:

Our plus/minus per 60 mins of 4on4 was higher than while 5on4: +5.3 vs +4.2.

So I guess every time we get a powerplay, someone should take a "free shot" at the opposition to even things up.

Gil Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 02:01 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil Fisher View Post
Interesting Stat:

Our plus/minus per 60 mins of 4on4 was higher than while 5on4: +5.3 vs +4.2.

So I guess every time we get a powerplay, someone should take a "free shot" at the opposition to even things up.
haha ya I pointed this out one game!!

It's due to the fact that on 5v4 we're terrible at gaining zone entry and getting rebounds in power play... we're not actually that bad when it comes to puck movement otherwise.

When the other team is 4v4 they are no longer trying to shut us down, so we gain the zone much better, and we score on the rush much better as a team then setting up pretty plays...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sipowicz View Post
Anyone see this from the Jets site, I also voted for Clitsome.

In your opinion, which Jet improved the most this season from last?

Zach Bogosian:
16.53%
Grant Clitsome:
29.73%
Andrew Ladd:
24.39%
Bryan Little:
7.27%
Evander Kane:
10.12%
Ondrej Pavelec:
11.95%

Have to say that Pavs, Little and Bogo's games pretty much stayed the same while Ladd, Kane and Clitsome improved over the previous season.
Statistically:
Bogo stayed the same but against much tougher minutes than last season (him and Hainsey were in the top 20 toughest D minutes)
Clitsome improved while taking tougher minutes than last season
Ladd improved while taking tougher minutes than last season (although SH% inflated a bit)
Little improved (minimally) while taking tougher minutes than last season
Kane stayed the same but against tougher minutes than last season
Pavelec took a step back on average and quality of starts, although was much busier

I would agree and say that Clitsome had the largest improvement over last season

garret9 is offline   Reply With Quote