HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

MacT press conference

Old
04-30-2013, 01:00 PM
Hockey Fan #751

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoon View Post
Pretty satisfied with what MacT had to say. I can't believe there is anyone on the boards who thinks he isn't going to be way better than Tamby. He spoke for twenty five minutes (at least in the clip that's up on the Oilers site) and was forthright, engaged, knowledgeable and clear in his responses. Tamby was never any of that.

The stuff I didn't like much was all the talk about "the story of Edmonton" that the team tries to sell. Way too much emphasis placed on that - ffs he even used the phrase "Alberta advantage". Just field a competitive roster please Craig and save the OilChange monologues for those with the will to watch the show.

Damning indictment of the roster Tamby assembled to support all his first overall picks.

"In today's NHL you really have to be a threat to score at some point. Even marginally. And we had a lot of guys that really, the best they were going to be at any given game was to be a non-factor."

Wow. "Even marginally ...." Yeah he's looking at you Belanger. And you Petrell. And you Brown. And you Smyth. Maybe Petrell or Eager would throw up the odd big game for you, but the rest of those guys seriously never looked like a threat to score all year. Props to MacT for saying it like it is. Smithson managed to get two goals I think, but he never really looked dangerous either. He did look great on draws and I think I saw him throw a few hits. So there's that in his favor.

On Dubnyk

"To be a top level goaltender he's got to play better".

Yup. MacT spoke of getting a number two, three or four goaltender in a way that made it clear that Dubnyk will be the guy again next season. MacT seems to think Dubnyk can make the progress necessary. For me that's a bit hard to believe, but he's got a contract for next year anyway so having spent five seasons on his development we may as well give him one more year.

On Gagner

"Sam had an unbelievable year".

Huh. Not "good". Not "great". "Unbelievable". And just yesterday I was seeing posts calling this player toxic, disastrous and in general deficient across most facets of the game.

"But Sam has really developed into a leader here by all regard. From the discussions I've had with our group in there he's a guy that's really developed into the type of character that we want. And that's going to be important when I'm making the decisions."

The way MacT made the statement above should leave no doubt that its unanimous among Oiler management that Gagner is an important part of the plan for this roster going forward. They aren't going to flip him for some over-rated PK wizard or a fast skating Coke machine. He may get dealt but inquiring teams are going to have to offer a lot to get Gagner. This kid is heart and soul and I feel sorry for fans who can't recognize that.

Hemsky on the other hand has probably played his last game as an Oiler. MacT was very classy in what he said about Hemsky, but I think the writing is on the wall there.

Pretty good interview all in all. So far MacT has me on his side.
You nailed it.

Compare MacTavish to what Tambellini had to say last year (hint, it's 41 minutes of nothing):

http://video.oilers.nhl.com/videocen...id=4&id=171643

Hockey Fan #751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 01:03 PM
oilerbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halibut View Post
That once upon a time Horcoff was a better bang for your buck than Crosby. Which may have been true at one point but as you point out in general it doesnt hold water. Likewise the position that Dubnyk is a better goalie than Price because he has a better save % just means somebody is treating a stat as a sacred cow when it doesnt deserve to be. Just because it's the only stat that tells us about a goalie's performance doesnt mean it's a good one, and I'd dispute that it's not affected by the team the goalie is playing on.
true review of a shot.
-is there clear path
- what of the 7 goalie holes was it directed at variance of (11-65% success rate)
-type of shot
-location of Shot. (proven variance in location)

Of the stats presented by the league none cover this.

But the only measure of a goalie is the abilty to stop a shot from what ever location.

One thing I can say. People tend to be fooled by visual display.
While a goalie diving accross the crease to make a save looks great.
I will take the goalie who thinks and anticipates well enough to slide over in an upright position and squares himself to the net. Ready for the next shot.
Not as pretty but more effective.
There is a hint in that observation.

What people are trying to tell me is:
-a goalie who has faced less than the league average in shots per game
-who's shot stopping ability is average or worse 4 of 6 seasons he started.

is

better than a goal
-who has faced 4.5 more shots per game
-who's shot stopping ability has never been below average as a starter.

YUP!
very likely!

Last edited by oilerbear: 04-30-2013 at 01:11 PM.
oilerbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 01:03 PM
bucktown

How much better is it listening to Mac T than tortellini? Man, was I ever sick of that guy. He always seemed so pleased with himself when he was talking, but he was a terrible speaker. Imagine having him for a prof or something? yeeesh.

bucktown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 01:19 PM
Halibut

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilerbear View Post
true review of a shot.
-is there clear path
- what of the 7 goalie holes was it directed at variance of (11-65% success rate)
-type of shot

But the only measure of a goalie is the abilty to stop a shot from what ever location.

One thing I can say. peoplre tend to be fooled by visual display.
i will take the goalie who thinks and anticipates well enough to slide over in an upright position and squares himself to the net. Ready for the next shot.

-who's seasonsal save results is average or worse 4 of 6 seasons

is

better than a goal who has faced 4.5 more shots per game
and has never been worse than the league average for saves.

How is this possible?
Because save % doesnt take into account those 4 things that you pointed out would be a true review of a shot. Just because the league doesnt track those things doesnt mean what they do track is enough to tell you who is the better goalie. Here's another goal tending stat GAA, Price's over his career is 2.56 Dubnyk's is 2.78. You can call it dependant on the team but I still say save % is as well and with the flaws in save % there's an arguement that it's just as relevant.

The point is you cant judge goaltending on stats alone. There are no good stats for goaltenders. You have to watch them and check out the results over time. Personally I dont think Dubnyk is bad, he's not an elite goalie by any means but there are very few of those around. Price is slightly more reliable, not by a huge amount but enough that given the choice I'd take him as my starter.

Halibut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 03:20 PM
Sheikyerbouti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
Yeah, totally. What he should have done is laid out the entire offseason plan step by step, detail by detail so we could know exactly what they're planning to do, and I'm sure if he did that for us, it would in NO WAY hamper his ability to excute that plan.
In my opinion that's what he did.

Just from that interview it was easy to infer what their plan is and what they feel needs to change.

In my opinion defense and experience are the teams biggest needs and its concerning to me that he doesn't seem to agree. Giving Klefbom a spot next year is just adding more rookie mistakes to a raw line-up.

A good bottom six to compliment our top six will help, but look no further than Vancouver who threw out an excellent top line and bunch of scrubs this year combined with great defense and goaltending. They won the division. In fact if you look at the majority of teams that missed the playoffs this year, weak or young defense is a common thread.

Adding Klefbom to our D-corps is a marginal move, we need substantial changes on the backend

Sheikyerbouti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 03:23 PM
Sheikyerbouti

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucktown View Post
How much better is it listening to Mac T than tortellini? Man, was I ever sick of that guy. He always seemed so pleased with himself when he was talking, but he was a terrible speaker. Imagine having him for a prof or something? yeeesh.
Agreed, any written dictation of his interviews were always heavily edited to make sense.

Sheikyerbouti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 03:28 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 7000
He was pr and communications director for the Canucks before he became an assistant gm.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 07:45 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

I finally had a chance to listen to the PC in its entirety. I do agree with a lot of what he had to say, I agree that we have to get bigger and have more offense from our bottom 6 and that we need more toughness. And while I agree that we need more puck moving ability/mobility from our blueline I hope that it won't come at the expense of Fistric. Smid, Petry, J. and N. Schultz, Klefbom, and Marincin are all mobile skaters and all of them with the exception of N. Schultz and Smid have some offense in their games.

I am intrigued with his idea that some voices in the scouting departments will carry more weight or something along those lines. This tells me that we may well have some good scouts at our disposal but that they have been overruled and in essence made irrelevant.

I am not a fan of trading down in this draft, yes it is supposedly deep, but this will likely be our last top 10 pick in some time and it will be much harder to draft impact players in the future.

I am intrigued at his idea of going after more impactful players with later picks, likely mirroring the Detroit model there vs. picking guys like Musil, Moroz, Pitlick, Hamilton, etc. However some of that has been done in recent drafts with guys like Rieder, Zharkov, Khaira, and Laleggia.

After hearing his interview I would suspect that there will be quite a few changes and that besides the Big 5 and Klefbom that any number of the other Oilers could be dealt away. Belanger is likely the poster child of not being able to score at the best of times, that guy has been an offensive black hole since signing on.

Time will tell what kind of a GM he'll be, and to be honest it won't take very long, the draft and the start of free agency will speak volumes one way or another.

04-30-2013, 08:33 PM
MrOiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by sync View Post
interesting comment about the "circus" that is the dressing room.
I would be interested in finding out what prompted this comment.

MrOiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 12:17 AM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

vCash: 50
I have no way of knowing for sure (pure speculation) but you'd have to think that with Hordichuk and Eager going down to OKC, Smyth being benched, Whitney being benched, Peckham being basically a permanent pressbox fixture, Belanger being "injured/benched" for much of the season... and with Potter/Fistric rotating in and out of the lineup... along with Harti (among others) up and down to the OKC several times... you'd have to think it was very likely a pretty disjointed and potentially tense dressing room all season.

All that combined with slumps, injuries, rookies in important spots in the lineup, vets playing bottom 6/bottom pairing roles where they hadn't in the past and a rookie head coach... I think the enviroment was probably a lot more stressful than we know and likely caustic at times as well.

nexttothemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 12:24 AM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

The team has huge roster turnovers essentially every year... new linemates, new roles for players, constant upheaval in the lineup because of injuries, different coaching systems... and I think eventually the team needs to settle down and develop chemistry and develop some stability in the lineup.

Management needs to get bodies that don't have to be moved every year (resulting in constant roster transformations every season)... so this team can actually have a chance to gel and bond together. I think the upheaval and state of constant change in the team isn't helping them on a chemistry/loyalty level.

nexttothemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 12:32 AM
Spawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
The team has huge roster turnovers essentially every year... new linemates, new roles for players, constant upheaval in the lineup because of injuries, different coaching systems... and I think eventually the team needs to settle down and develop chemistry and develop some stability in the lineup.

Management needs to get bodies that don't have to be moved every year (resulting in constant roster transformations every season)... so this team can actually have a chance to gel and bond together. I think the upheaval and state of constant change in the team isn't helping them on a chemistry/loyalty level.
There was almost zero roster change this year.

The only new players to start the season were Yakupov, Schultz and Fistric.

Brown and Smithson were added as very minor parts later in the season.

They tried just going with what they had. Failed pretty bad. It's not about too many changes/not enough. It's about having the changes you do make working. So far with this organization that almost never happens.

Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 10:25 AM
Pros and Cons

Love Ryan Smyth, but perhaps being back next year would be better suited as the missing assitant coach that Mactavish is looking for... one year left on his deal though, so may be a year away.

Sam Gagner is the heart and soul of the team (& Smid), you see it every time he is out there.

Pros and Cons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 10:36 AM
Red Deer Rebel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pros and Cons View Post
Love Ryan Smyth, but perhaps being back next year would be better suited as the missing assitant coach that Mactavish is looking for... one year left on his deal though, so may be a year away.

Sam Gagner is the heart and soul of the team (& Smid), you see it every time he is out there.
That, on its face, would be an incompetent hire. Ryan Smyth doesn't strike me as having the brainpower or communications ability to coach - particularly at the highest level.

In fact, he makes Buchberger look like a Rhodes scholar.

Why don't we start supporting professional candidate searches that are designed to identify the most qualified people, rather than handing out jobs to people who have done nothing to earn them - much like our present GM.

Red Deer Rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 10:57 AM
Tedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Deer Rebel View Post
That, on its face, would be an incompetent hire. Ryan Smyth doesn't strike me as having the brainpower or communications ability to coach - particularly at the highest level.

In fact, he makes Buchberger look like a Rhodes scholar.

Why don't we start supporting professional candidate searches that are designed to identify the most qualified people, rather than handing out jobs to people who have done nothing to earn them - much like our present GM.
Except play hockey their entire lives. They might have actually learned a thing or two. But you're right lets get a armchair, NHL13 playing, X's and O's geek to teach hockey to players who probably would not respect an outsider. Smyth, while clearly not the sharpest knife in the drawer, does know hockey...he's just not very good at it anymore

Tedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 11:04 AM
Hemsky4PM

I am fine with Smyth and Jones as 4th liners, as long as real help is brought in in the form of a 2nd line C (moving Gagner to LW perhaps). We all know Hemsky will be dealt. Paajarvi is likely the 3rd line LW.

Hall-Nuge-Yakupov
Gagner-XXX-Eberle
Paajarvi-Horcoff-XXX
Smyth-XXX-Jones
Brown-XXX

JSchultz - XXX
Petry - Klefbom
Smid - NSchultz
Potter

Dubnyk
XXX

Some important moves coming up. This would be 7 of MacT's proposed 6-8 changes. I would be dangling Lander for some immediate help while he still has some value. I would actually be fine with Antropov on a one year deal as a stop gap C.

Hemsky4PM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 11:07 AM
bucks_oil

Quote:
true review of a shot.
-is there clear path
-type of shot

One thing I can say. People tend to be fooled by visual display.
I will take the goalie who thinks and anticipates well enough to slide over in an upright position and squares himself to the net. Ready for the next shot.
Not as pretty but more effective.
There is a hint in that observation.

-who's shot stopping ability is average or worse 4 of 6 seasons he started.

is

better than a goal
-who has faced 4.5 more shots per game
-who's shot stopping ability has never been below average as a starter.

YUP!
very likely
!
I agree with all of this thoughtful post up until the bolded. If you agree that SPCT is a flawed stat, why will you go on to use it in your argument as to who is better?

Furthermore, ANY goalie (and I am one) will tell you it is much easier to goose your SPCT stats if you are getting more shots. In most leagues and levels of play I've played in, the more shots you get, the more are likely to be "routine" saves.

Put it another way... except in rare cases where a team is clearly outmatched (like they shouldn't be in the same league), high-quality scoring chances DO NOT increase proportionally to overall shot total. Obviously they must increase, but it doesn't appear to happen proportionally (meaning in a game where you face 20 shots there may be 5 good quality scoring chances... in a game where you face 40, there may only be 7).

I'm certain there are stats to back this up, but I wouldn't know where to find them. But look at who the historical SPCT leaders have been... typically goalies who've played on teams with high shot totals (Hasek in Buffalo as an example).

I'll also say this... I agree with your anecdote of visual display... but its a poor argument to bring up in a discussion of Price vs Dubnyk. Any goalie would tell you that Price's positioning and "technical skill" as a goalie is as sound as anyone in his generation. If he's got a weakness, its in between his ears. Dubnyk is a different bird... anyone with any goaltending training can tell you two things about Dubnyk: i) while he (generally) has decent positioning, he kicks out a tonne of rebounds and ii) for a big goalie, he sure seems to need to make a lot of scrambling saves... so I'd argue that he IS NOT the goalie you describe in your anecdote. He is not at all "quiet" in his approach to the position, at least not in comparison to Price to my eye.

My theory (for what it is worth) is that he tends to challenge (even over-challenge) shooters in odd-man situations (like a smaller goalie needs to) instead of using his size and being then in better position to play the pass. In a way he is playing away from his strength (size & reach) and toward his weakness (urgent lateral movement).

bucks_oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 11:21 AM
bucks_oil

Quote:
They are results for the year.

I said Horcoffs return per dollar was better than crosby's that season.

You guys have been mocking me cause i said
14.72 points per is better than 11.84 points per.
You are mocking me cause I said 14.72 is greater than 11.84.
You are mocking ME cause you guys think 11.84 is greater than 14.72.

Horcoff is better than Crosby!
Come on!

Me I am about filling game situations with as low a cap hit as possible.

If we can replace Horcoff's
Face off
Comp faced
Zone start
PK
for less cap dollars.
Then bye.
I think I'm missing the point of this... why is points/cap hit the right measure? Or rather, why would you expect there to be a linear relationship? If there are precious few players who's offensive output is multiple standard deviations from the norm (in lay-speak: offensive difference makers), why would you expect that their financial compensation could be compared to someone (on a $/point basis) who is more run-of-the-mill in this regard?

Does that mean you would prefer to ice a team of 2011/12 Ben Eagers? Afterall, Ben Eager's prorated points/caphit last year (the year we all wanted him gone) was 15.38/$.

bucks_oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 11:25 AM
Mr.Prez
Why not Zoidberg?

vCash: 129
just a bit of a reminder for you guys, this is the man who called Marty Reasoner a slower version of Joe Sakic.

Mr.Prez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 11:36 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Prez View Post
just a bit of a reminder for you guys, this is the man who called Marty Reasoner a slower version of Joe Sakic.
So I'm pretty sure it was meant more in Jest then with any kind of seriousness.

And thinking back, it may have been a bit of veiled shot at Management for not finding him more to work with.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 12:02 PM
Oscar Acosta
Bat Country

vCash: 738
Quote:
Maybe he meant slower in the head.

Oscar Acosta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 12:44 PM
Master Lok

Quote:
Sigh, just a bit of a reminder for you, since you clearly don't remember, is he said it tongue-in-cheek.

Master Lok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 01:05 PM
Tad Mikowsky
Retired

Quote:
Just a reminder, that has **** all to do with him as a GM.

Tad Mikowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 01:06 PM
T-Funk

vCash: 1020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad Mikowsky View Post
Just a reminder, that has **** all to do with him as a GM.
Being a poor judge of talent or value has **** all to do with being GM?

T-Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 01:06 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Lok View Post
Sigh, just a bit of a reminder for you, since you clearly don't remember, is he said it tongue-in-cheek.
Was it tongue in cheek when he said that Horcoff should be on the Olympic team?

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote