HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

MacT press conference

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-01-2013, 02:07 PM
  #276
I am the Liquor
Registered User
 
I am the Liquor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,617
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedi View Post
Except play hockey their entire lives. They might have actually learned a thing or two. But you're right lets get a armchair, NHL13 playing, X's and O's geek to teach hockey to players who probably would not respect an outsider. Smyth, while clearly not the sharpest knife in the drawer, does know hockey...he's just not very good at it anymore
Or they could hire a proven coach with nhl experience? I know, sounds silly, but it could work.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 02:11 PM
  #277
Seedling
Fan level 7?
 
Seedling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,889
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Was it tongue in cheek when he said that Horcoff should be on the Olympic team?
BAM! Right between the eyes.

I remember that awkward moment. I think BM just about had an aneurysm holding back his laughter.

Seedling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 02:15 PM
  #278
Seedling
Fan level 7?
 
Seedling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,889
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOiler View Post
I would be interested in finding out what prompted this comment.
Watch Oil change. I think it has to do with guys paying attention and not playing on their phones etc. Couple that with what seems to have been some issues with players like Whitney and Belanger and it is likely not as tight a dressing room asMacT liked to run. Just my take (speculation of course)

Seedling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 02:18 PM
  #279
Seedling
Fan level 7?
 
Seedling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,889
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad Mikowsky View Post
Just a reminder, that has **** all to do with him as a GM.
So how MacT sees a potential player's ability has nothing to do with being a good GM?

Seedling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 02:21 PM
  #280
Jimmi Jenkins
So Rainy
 
Jimmi Jenkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 39,144
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seedling View Post
So how MacT sees a potential player's ability has nothing to do with being a good GM?
No question, which is why we shouldn't be surprised when the Oilers flip Martin Gernat to the Isles for Reasoner, just makes sense

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 02:22 PM
  #281
Bryanbryoil
Moderator
Bozo Buddies
 
Bryanbryoil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 51,738
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seedling View Post
BAM! Right between the eyes.

I remember that awkward moment. I think BM just about had an aneurysm holding back his laughter.
Everyone says stupid **** from time to time, but I get fed up when people try to put MacT on a pedestal because they think that he's a borderline genius. If he follows his plan that he's laid out (one that quite frankly is common sense, not genius) then he should be at least an average GM. We'll see how things work out, I'm pulling for him because we'll need him to do his job at least decently to get us to a championship level.

__________________
Treat Others As You Would Like To Be Treated
Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 02:23 PM
  #282
T-Funk
Registered User
 
T-Funk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,091
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Everyone says stupid **** from time to time, but I get fed up when people try to put MacT on a pedestal because they think that he's a borderline genius. If he follows his plan that he's laid out (one that quite frankly is common sense, not genius) then he should be at least an average GM. We'll see how things work out, I'm pulling for him because we'll need him to do his job at least decently to get us to a championship level.
But if he doesn't, Ryan Smyth is apparently perfect for the job because he tries hard.

T-Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 02:28 PM
  #283
Bryanbryoil
Moderator
Bozo Buddies
 
Bryanbryoil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 51,738
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Funk View Post
But if he doesn't, Ryan Smyth is apparently perfect for the job because he tries hard.
That reeks of nepotism. If Smyth returns he had better enjoy riding the pine, because if he is an everyday player then nothing will have changed. My biggest fears are that Horcoff and Smyth return, he signs Gagner to a hefty long term deal. and that he deals Eberle or Nail for help. If that is what he does we are in for a world of hurt.

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 02:30 PM
  #284
Seedling
Fan level 7?
 
Seedling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,889
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
No question, which is why we shouldn't be surprised when the Oilers flip Martin Gernat to the Isles for Reasoner, just makes sense


I think he will do okay. Meanwhile we will all argue over past sound bites.

Seedling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 02:31 PM
  #285
jmoss45
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: EDM
Posts: 852
vCash: 500
MacT said he wants bottom 6 guys who are at least a threat to score.

Kruger likes 'specialist' role players.


Also, Kruger never used a checking line to match up against the opponents best. If I remember right, MacT always used one. Again, big difference in views there.

I don't see how Krugers systems align with MacT's vision.

jmoss45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 02:31 PM
  #286
Jimmi Jenkins
So Rainy
 
Jimmi Jenkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 39,144
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seedling View Post


I think he will do okay. Meanwhile we will all argue over past sound bites.
lol what's to argue, it was a tongue in cheek remark for a player who he clearly knew he was asking alot of on the team on the team.

Like I said earlier, looking back at it, it was probably a bit of a shot at Management.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 02:32 PM
  #287
Seedling
Fan level 7?
 
Seedling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,889
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Everyone says stupid **** from time to time, but I get fed up when people try to put MacT on a pedestal because they think that he's a borderline genius. If he follows his plan that he's laid out (one that quite frankly is common sense, not genius) then he should be at least an average GM. We'll see how things work out, I'm pulling for him because we'll need him to do his job at least decently to get us to a championship level.
I tend to agree. He seems to have a very clear vision of what this team needs. Hopefully he can execute it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Funk View Post
But if he doesn't, Ryan Smyth is apparently perfect for the job because he tries hard.


Make him our next coach!

Seedling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 02:35 PM
  #288
Jimmi Jenkins
So Rainy
 
Jimmi Jenkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 39,144
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoss45 View Post
MacT said he wants bottom 6 guys who are at least a threat to score.

Kruger likes 'specialist' role players.


Also, Kruger never used a checking line to match up against the opponents best. If I remember right, MacT always used one. Again, big difference in views there.

I don't see how Krugers systems align with MacT's vision.
Perhaps that becomes the tipping point. I would like to think that both men are smart and flexible enough to work with eachother to find a balance.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 02:41 PM
  #289
Seedling
Fan level 7?
 
Seedling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,889
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
Perhaps that becomes the tipping point. I would like to think that both men are smart and flexible enough to work with eachother to find a balance.
That sounds like the most likely outcome. I think Mac gives him a system and Ralph is on a very short leash. Just my impression.

Seedling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 02:43 PM
  #290
The Big Unit
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,190
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seedling View Post
That sounds like the most likely outcome. I think Mac gives him a system and Ralph is on a very short leash. Just my impression.
Why even bother then? Wouldn't it just make more sense for MacT to bring in his own guy? With the coaching carousel we've had the last few years and Krueger being unlikely to last for the long haul without some drastic improvement next year, just get it over with and bring in a long term solution right now!

The Big Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 02:49 PM
  #291
jmoss45
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: EDM
Posts: 852
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seedling View Post
That sounds like the most likely outcome. I think Mac gives him a system and Ralph is on a very short leash. Just my impression.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Unit View Post
Why even bother then? Wouldn't it just make more sense for MacT to bring in his own guy? With the coaching carousel we've had the last few years and Krueger being unlikely to last for the long haul without some drastic improvement next year, just get it over with and bring in a long term solution right now!

Exactly. Instead of MacT coaching from above or trying to change Kruger's style, why not let him pick a coach be believes in and let MacT focus on his job?

jmoss45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 02:56 PM
  #292
Oscar Acosta
Bat Country
 
Oscar Acosta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 4,399
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
My biggest fears are that Horcoff and Smyth return, he signs Gagner to a hefty long term deal. and that he deals Eberle or Nail for help. If that is what he does we are in for a world of hurt.
The sad thing is that I can actually see this happening.

Oscar Acosta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 02:56 PM
  #293
I am the Liquor
Registered User
 
I am the Liquor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,617
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoss45 View Post
Exactly. Instead of MacT coaching from above or trying to change Kruger's style, why not let him pick a coach be believes in and let MacT focus on his job?
And if Mact only believes in himself?

He will make himself the coach and this team will officially be the toilet and laughing stock of the league.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 03:03 PM
  #294
Seedling
Fan level 7?
 
Seedling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,889
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoss45 View Post
Exactly. Instead of MacT coaching from above or trying to change Kruger's style, why not let him pick a coach be believes in and let MacT focus on his job?
Agreed.

Seedling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 03:17 PM
  #295
The Big Unit
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,190
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
And if Mact only believes in himself?

He will make himself the coach and this team will officially be the toilet and laughing stock of the league.
You mean we're not a laughing stock yet? God what does it take?

The Big Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 03:18 PM
  #296
Jimmi Jenkins
So Rainy
 
Jimmi Jenkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 39,144
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
That reeks of nepotism. If Smyth returns he had better enjoy riding the pine, because if he is an everyday player then nothing will have changed. My biggest fears are that Horcoff and Smyth return, he signs Gagner to a hefty long term deal. and that he deals Eberle or Nail for help. If that is what he does we are in for a world of hurt.
Ugh Bryan I know you're especially not a fan of Mac-T, but come on. He literally said they won't part easily with any of the kids because of how much they "suffered" to get them.

What do you want him to do with Gagner, say he's too small and has no future in Edmonton? Good luck getting value after that, geez

Edit: Mac-T knows what it's like to have nothing to work with by plugs upon plugs, but now he's going to piss away all the actual talent?

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 04:52 PM
  #297
Master Lok
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 6,892
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
Ugh Bryan I know you're especially not a fan of Mac-T, but come on. He literally said they won't part easily with any of the kids because of how much they "suffered" to get them.

What do you want him to do with Gagner, say he's too small and has no future in Edmonton? Good luck getting value after that, geez

Edit: Mac-T knows what it's like to have nothing to work with by plugs upon plugs, but now he's going to piss away all the actual talent?
He wants to inflict the same pain on Krueger as was inflicted on him by Lowe.

Try to make the playoffs with a talentless roster and high expectations.

Master Lok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 05:11 PM
  #298
Jimmi Jenkins
So Rainy
 
Jimmi Jenkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 39,144
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Lok View Post
He wants to inflict the same pain on Krueger as was inflicted on him by Lowe.

Try to make the playoffs with a talentless roster and high expectations.
I guess, that seems like a ridiculously vindictive and counter productive move to make though.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 05:12 PM
  #299
Tad Mikowsky
Retired
 
Tad Mikowsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,740
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seedling View Post
So how MacT sees a potential player's ability has nothing to do with being a good GM?
Yes that's exactly what I said.

Tad Mikowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 05:54 PM
  #300
Beerfish
Registered User
 
Beerfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 11,735
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
And if Mact only believes in himself?

He will make himself the coach and this team will officially be the toilet and laughing stock of the league.
By mid season next year. Believe it. If the oilers flounder at all early Krueger is gone and Mact is 'interim' coach.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:56 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.