Notices

Hawks win Game 1 (2-1 F/OT)

Closed Thread

Old
05-01-2013, 01:49 PM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

vCash: 500
If I had to give Butch a grade last night, it'd probably be about a B. Didn't create a lot, had a few really great shifts, was never a liability.

I wouldn't pull him from the lineup mostly because the Wild really, really need a few breakaway threats to counter Chicago's style. They take chances in the offensive zone and occasionally overcommit, and don't really collapse defensively. Pouncing is going to be a key to the series. Besides Butch it's pretty much just Zucker and maybe Cullen who can really steal and break in alone, but I would rank them well below PMB in that category.

Old
05-01-2013, 01:53 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
no doubt konopka sits with a Pommenville return unless there's some sort of lingering injury to someone else we don't know about.

Old
05-01-2013, 01:59 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Bouchard played well. He is what he is, a streaky middle six winger.

Old
05-01-2013, 02:21 PM
WildisLaw
Just win, baby

Thought Brodziak played really well defensively. He usually came away with the puck in the board battles, he was playing with edge which is good to see. I wish we would have got the bounces. This was a very winnable game, I feel like we deserved to win more than they did. Hope Suter can keep it up! Zucker was a machine in this game, once he starts finding the net look out. He could have had 2 or 3 goals in this game. Top line did its job for the most part, a goal would have been nice. Some great backchecks by numerous players. Overall just a really great game. I think one thing that was interesting was that Chicago unlike most teams couldn't score when it got us into one of our patented one minute run arounds in the defensive zone. The PP is our Achilles heel, we need to find a way to cash in on some of these opportunities. Also, I'd like to see our defenseman take the body more especially when Toews is bearing down on two defenseman and still gets a good backhander away. That should never happen when there are two of you, guys.

Hossa was their most dangerous player by a mile. Toews didn't do much, Kane can be bullied and frustrated. Everyone else seemed harmless, but Bickell seems to be in the right place at the right time against us. They may be better than us, but I'm not buying them winning the west at all after last night. Their defense was pretty good though.

Anyways, this team is competing and I couldn't ask for more. Looking forward to game 2.

Oh and I don't think Rupp/Konopka did anything for us. Loved Mitchell's game, he is underutilized by Yeo constantly. We should be going with a more speedy lineup, hopefully Poms can get back soon.

Speed kills.

Old
05-01-2013, 03:15 PM
TwInS1095

vCash: 950
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
no doubt konopka sits with a Pommenville return unless there's some sort of lingering injury to someone else we don't know about.
I'd say Rupp because of Konopka's faceoff prowess.

I would make the lines...

Parise/Koivu/Coyle

Zucker/Cullen/Seto

Bouchard/Brodz/Pominville

Mitchell/Konopka/Clutterbuck

(I might actually put Pominville on the 2nd with Cullen/Zucker. Pominville/Zucker are two of our only guys that really actually try to use skill/speed to beat guys.)

Old
05-01-2013, 03:18 PM
TwInS1095

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildisLaw View Post
Thought Brodziak played really well defensively. He usually came away with the puck in the board battles, he was playing with edge which is good to see. I wish we would have got the bounces. This was a very winnable game, I feel like we deserved to win more than they did. Hope Suter can keep it up! Zucker was a machine in this game, once he starts finding the net look out. He could have had 2 or 3 goals in this game. Top line did its job for the most part, a goal would have been nice. Some great backchecks by numerous players. Overall just a really great game. I think one thing that was interesting was that Chicago unlike most teams couldn't score when it got us into one of our patented one minute run arounds in the defensive zone. The PP is our Achilles heel, we need to find a way to cash in on some of these opportunities. Also, I'd like to see our defenseman take the body more especially when Toews is bearing down on two defenseman and still gets a good backhander away. That should never happen when there are two of you, guys.

Hossa was their most dangerous player by a mile. Toews didn't do much, Kane can be bullied and frustrated. Everyone else seemed harmless, but Bickell seems to be in the right place at the right time against us. They may be better than us, but I'm not buying them winning the west at all after last night. Their defense was pretty good though.

Anyways, this team is competing and I couldn't ask for more. Looking forward to game 2.

Oh and I don't think Rupp/Konopka did anything for us. Loved Mitchell's game, he is underutilized by Yeo constantly. We should be going with a more speedy lineup, hopefully Poms can get back soon.

Speed kills.

Agree with this to the T.

Especially on Mitchell. Guy is actually pretty skilled. Like he's more fancy with the puck than Parise is at times. And fast too...

(Not saying he's better than Parise at all)

Old
05-01-2013, 03:26 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I dunno, Kane looks dangerous with the puck. He's elusive and creative.

I also think our defensemen could stand to gap up on the puck carriers a bit.

Old
05-01-2013, 03:33 PM
TwInS1095

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I dunno, Kane looks dangerous with the puck. He's elusive and creative.

I also think our defensemen could stand to gap up on the puck carriers a bit.

I mean obviously Kane is going to look dangerous, but I actually thought our defense did a remarkable job at our blue line, poke checking and frustrating the Hawks...especially in there transition game.

I remember two or three times alone Kane lost the puck at the blue line and caused an offsides.

Old
05-01-2013, 05:36 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

chances anyone on the message board could outcoach Yeo: one in a million.

Old
05-01-2013, 05:50 PM
StealthClobber
#humangousbig

vCash: 434
Quote:
chances anyone on the message board could outcoach Yeo: one in a million.
I'm ready to make that avatar if you want it

Old
05-01-2013, 06:05 PM
Avder
Is only game.

One thing that occurred to me just now is that the 4th line was really the only like with any appreciable amount of 5 on 5 zone time last night, so that may be an argument against breaking them up in game 2. If that is the case, the only person who could be sat without messing any other line up would be Clutterbuck, and we all know that is not going to happen.

So if Yeo decides to keep the 4th line intact, I really have no idea who would sit in order to accommodate Pommer on the 3rd line.

Old
05-01-2013, 06:59 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avder View Post
One thing that occurred to me just now is that the 4th line was really the only like with any appreciable amount of 5 on 5 zone time last night, so that may be an argument against breaking them up in game 2. If that is the case, the only person who could be sat without messing any other line up would be Clutterbuck, and we all know that is not going to happen.

So if Yeo decides to keep the 4th line intact, I really have no idea who would sit in order to accommodate Pommer on the 3rd line.
Now you're simply over thinking it. It's not the 4th line that's going to win games. The players in the top 9 are not going to sit, so there really is only one option. Konopka. Mitchell is good at faceoffs too and he's faster and down the stretch played much better as a 4th line center than Konopka did at any point of the season.

Old
05-01-2013, 07:05 PM
slappipappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by melinko View Post
I hope Suter and Brodin's minutes don't catch up with them.

Both of them played +/- 10 minutes more than anyone on Chicago.
I think you sat Suter's minutes getting caught up when Bickell out skated him to score the winning goal.

Old
05-01-2013, 07:29 PM
Avder
Is only game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaLoN View Post
Now you're simply over thinking it. It's not the 4th line that's going to win games. The players in the top 9 are not going to sit, so there really is only one option. Konopka. Mitchell is good at faceoffs too and he's faster and down the stretch played much better as a 4th line center than Konopka did at any point of the season.
Right, and I agree with you. But the problem is still that the 4th line as it was in game one was the only line to get anything resembling appreciable zone time. Every other line would get tossed out of the zone within seconds for the most part.

Old
05-01-2013, 07:35 PM
Blizzard6411
#benchstoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by slappipappi View Post
I think you sat Suter's minutes getting caught up when Bickell out skated him to score the winning goal.
Suter wasn't out skated, there was an outlet hail mary off the glass that went over Suters head, he jumped to try to catch it. Brodin had to commit to someone and hope that Harding could be prepard for the other guy.

Really it was just a heads up play by the Blackhawks that they executed.

Old
05-01-2013, 07:37 PM
Fel 96
Global Moderator
JFC

Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwInS1095 View Post
I'd say Rupp because of Konopka's faceoff prowess.
Nope.

Old
05-01-2013, 07:41 PM
Blizzard6411
#benchstoner

Quote:
Right, and I agree with you. But the problem is still that the 4th line as it was in game one was the only line to get anything resembling appreciable zone time. Every other line would get tossed out of the zone within seconds for the most part.
Konopka will sit. It isn't even a question.

The 4th line was far better when Clutter played on it for a few games before Pommers concussion. At least with Clutter it has a bit of a chance to net one as opposed to now where all it is going to get done is wearing out the boards.

Old
05-01-2013, 07:57 PM
WildisLaw
Just win, baby

Old
05-01-2013, 08:33 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

anyone see any signs that Suter is playing hurt? I didn't notice so much but I wasn't looking for it. He still passing up some shots, holding his stick a little funny?

Old
05-01-2013, 08:58 PM
vitogor

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildisLaw View Post
Yes, you are

Old
05-01-2013, 09:02 PM
Generic User
Lafferty, Daniel

Chances Suter is god? One in a million.

Old
05-01-2013, 09:23 PM
OpRedDawn

vCash: 127
Quote:
anyone see any signs that Suter is playing hurt? I didn't notice so much but I wasn't looking for it. He still passing up some shots, holding his stick a little funny?
On one rush I saw him do like an odd one handed push instead of a normal pass. Not sure though.

Old
05-01-2013, 09:40 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:
Yes, and by putting Clutterbuck down there with Mitchell moved to center will only improve on that lines speed and even give them a shot at getting a goal instead of just spending time along the boards.

Keeping the 4th line the same while sitting either Bouchard, Coyle or Zucker to put in Pomminville isn't going to change any dynamic of anything.

Sitting Konopka not only improves the 4th line, but it also improves the 3rd line as the Brodziak line was at it's best when Pomminville was there with the 2 B's.

It's about the biggest no-brainer of a lineup decision as there is.

Old
05-01-2013, 10:33 PM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

Once in a while I wonder what Wild jersey I'll get next once Backstom is gone. It might have to be Suter if he plays this awesome every year. Then again, it'll probably be Granlund if he can develop into the player we hope he will. My dad and I have gone full Fin with our jerseys since I'm half Fin and he's full Fin (by heritage of course, not nationality), Backstrom and Koivu. Granlund would be the next step in that trend.

Old
05-01-2013, 10:39 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

My mom is full finn, I'm half.

I have a White Granlund third Aeros sweater on order.

Closed Thread