HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

End Of Season Press Conference 1PM today (Audio Link, Post #1)

Old
04-30-2013, 03:58 PM
CrankyJay

vCash: 50
Well, the best cure for all of this is to start winning...then all of this bickering will go away.

CrankyJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
zbubble

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by haseoke39 View Post
Walter Sobchak: "Saturday, Donny, is Fan Appreciation Day, the hockey day of rest. That means that I don't work, I don't drive a car, I don't ****ing ride in a car, I don't handle money, I don't turn on the oven, and I sure as **** don't ****ing announce raising ticket prices!"
Bunch of nihilists.

zbubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
brian_griffin
"Elite Poster" ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
The problem is most on here are clueless on how Pegula, Black, Sawyer, etc are looking at this. Even though its been explained several times by them and others. Everyone (Ruff/Regier) got a fresh start when Pegula took over. So the fans [and media] whining about what Regier did or didn't do with previous owners is irrelevant to how Pegula and Co. view things.

The owner that absolutely loved Lindy and said he wasn't going anywhere. The GM that was Lindy BFF. That team fired Ruff after only 2 years. Yet right up until it happened all we read about was fanboy Pegula and Regier is Lindy's BFF so no changes will ever be made. If Regier doesn't get things going in the right direction fairly soon he will be gone as well. This nonsense that there is no accountability with the Sabres is just that...nonsense. But its fed to the addled masses by the simpletons at TBN. Who themselves don't have a very strong grasp of the issues.

I'm also disappointed but not shocked by the lack of understanding by many posters of the very different mandate Regeir had pre-Pegula and how that impacted the roster. Under Golie/Quinn it was about breaking even/making a small profit and the planning was year to year not big picture long term. Under that mandate Regier wasn't really able to do two things. 1) Completey rebuild if things weren't working. 2)Nor could he auguemnt what he had by either adding big name UFAs in the summer or adding at the deadline without sending equal money out.
[joshjull has consistently offered this assessment. In essence, BTG's "corporate mission" as CEO was simple corporate survival by ensuring the legacy of Sabres Hockey in Buffalo, with whereas TPeg's "corporate mission" is to have the "best widget among the 29 other widget makers". I don't know if TBN has ever explored that difference in mission with honesty. In that analogy, DR is COO, and endures through both regimes. Corporate leadership enduring through regime changes does happen in the corporate world (not always, but it does happen).]

The previous regime's policies (on contracts and negotiations) led to the gutting of that very deep and strong lineup that came out of the lockout. A lineup Regier had put together after the Hasek era when he had to rebuild the franchise during the bankruptcy years. I'm still waiting for that article to be written. The one about the great job he did when previously tasked with rebuilding the roster. I'm not holding my breath. I'm also waiting for the TBN article that recognizes the difficulties involved with rebuilding that gutted roster with the restrictions the previous regime had on team building. [even if one grants a portion of the Sabres success to the luck of the post-lockout rule changes, the above remains true]

In Regier's two years under Pegula he did the following. He added Boyes at the 2011 deadline and helped get us into the playoffs. He went big in the summer of 2011 signing Ehrhoff and Leino. One worked out great the other not so much. At the 2012 deadline he traded with the future in mind moving out Goose for a 1st. he also added a badly needed young top 6 center by trading Kassian for Hodgson. After the lockout in 21013 when things weren't going well he fired Ruff. Then at the deadline he was a seller and got picks for Regehr and leopold. Plus he got quite a haul for Pommer (Larsson, Hackett, a 1st and 2nd).
[And, as I noted previously, if the full 2012-13 season was canceled, Ruff would still be here, BUF wouldn't have an extra (Pomms) 1st for this year's draft, etc., and we fans would have to wait 8,9,10 more months before such actions were taken. Imagine the uproar if this full season was lost to lockout, and next season was the ****storm this season was. (It likely will be a ****storm, but you understand my point that mgmt will not have taken 2 years to realize change was needed.) I'm not being a Regier apologist, per se, but if the media wish to play shoulda coulda woulda, it has to cut both ways.]

My biggest issues with TBN is their level of ignorance and their pettiness. There are definitely things to criticize Regier for but where is the balanced review of things? Or an understanding of the restrictions of the previous regime? I could go on. Its staggering the lack of knowledge on display by the likes of Bucky, Sully and Harrington. Many on here have made intelligent and forceful arguements for the removal of Regier. I've yet to see such work from the "professionals"
[I think it's fair to say there are many posters on these boards (not just the BUF board) who watch / follow hockey both in greater quantity and to greater depth than several of the TBN journalists. I, as a former Buffalonian, turned to HFboards during the lockout, and lurked a couple years here before joining. IMO, greater dialog and depth can be obtained on boards such as this than with print media (even electronic print media).]
Nicely written, jj. My comments in bold bracketed above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippster View Post
Their should be contempt with the hockey department, it is their direct job to put the product on the ice, if it is failing, so are they. After so many failures, maybe its time to stop looking elsewhere for the issue and instead in the mirror.

I am also sick of hearing excuses for Darcy on Rigas said this, Golisano only allowed him this, very few GM's in the league have carte blanche to run with and live within budgets and salary caps and do just fine.

I have no interest in having to hear from Pegula, my problem is, run it like a business, not a play toy, Ruff was kept too long because Pegula opened his ownership presser with "he aint goin nowhere" and let friendship and personal feelings get in the way of the needs of the team, I believe he is doing the same with Regier and also believe that feeling is felt by the media and many other fans thus creating this crap storm of negativity.
To bolded, fair criticism. But, that's not the criteria TPegs is using. Slates were wiped clean with his arrival.

To the middle paragraph, also fair criticism. But it misses the point, made in other threads, that "doing just fine" (especially in the past dozen years / under the previous CBA) is far more often than not the result of drafting elite talent with top-few draft picks, and/or trading top-few draft picks for budding talent on ELC's. Neither were strategies BUF could employ. Victims of their own success, as BUF never had top-few draft picks to either draft with or trade for elite talent.

To the last paragraph, BTG/LQ ran the Sabres like a business. In fact, BTG was more surprised / entertained by the Sabres on-ice success than claiming it a consequence of his mgmt style and/or fulfillment of his view of the "corporate mission". If you mean "run it like a business" = move out underperformers, etc., I believe we're seeing that happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devo-2 View Post
This thread reminded me its time to thank those like Chain, Clock, VCV, Jbuds, Sabretip, Jame, Joshjull, Bakes and other long time members for the years of leveled, insightful, thought-provoking discussion continually offered here. It is certainly refreshing and reinforces my belief in the fan base. You should put your own newspaper together-I would buy it. Thank you and keep up the good work.

Edit: Wow, I just noticed I have been wasting time on this site for over ten years now (even longer in my long-lost devo form). Time flies.
Agree on all points, including my own personal time-wasting here...

brian_griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 06:24 PM
Der Jaeger

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
The problem is most on here are clueless on how Pegula, Black, Sawyer, etc are looking at this. Even though its been explained several times by them and others. Everyone (Ruff/Regier) got a fresh start when Pegula took over. So the fans whining about what Regier did or didn't do with previous owners is irrelevant to how Pegula and Co. view things.

The owner that absolutely loved Lindy and said he wasn't going anywhere. The GM that was Lindy BFF. That team fired Ruff after only 2 years. Yet right up until it happened all we read about was fanboy Pegula and Regier is Lindy's BFF so no changes will ever be made. If Regier doesn't get things going in the right direction fairly soon he will be gone as well. This nonsense that there is no accountability with the Sabres is just that...nonsense. But its fed to the addled masses by the simpletons at TBN. Who themselves don't have a very strong grasp of the issues.

I'm also disappointed but not shocked by the lack of understanding by many posters of the very different mandate Regeir had pre-Pegula and how that impacted the roster. Under Golie/Quinn it was about breaking even/making a small profit and the planning was year to year not big picture long term. Under that mandate Regier wasn't really able to do two things. 1) Completey rebuild if things weren't working. 2)Nor could he auguemnt what he had by either adding big name UFAs in the summer or adding at the deadline without sending equal money out.

The previous regime's policies (on contracts and negotiations) led to the gutting of that very deep and strong lineup that came out of the lockout. A lineup Regier had put together after the Hasek era when he had to rebuild the franchise during the bankruptcy years. I'm still waiting for that article to be written. The one about the great job he did when previously tasked with rebuilding the roster. I'm not holding my breath. I'm also waiting for the TBN article that recognizes the difficulties involved with rebuilding that gutted roster with the restrictions the previous regime had on team building.

In Regier's two years under Pegula he did the following. He added Boyes at the 2011 deadline and helped get us into the playoffs. He went big in the summer of 2011 signing Ehrhoff and Leino. One worked out great the other not so much. At the 2012 deadline he traded with the future in mind moving out Goose for a 1st. he also added a badly needed young top 6 center by trading Kassian for Hodgson. After the lockout in 21013 when things weren't going well he fired Ruff. Then at the deadline he was a seller and got picks for Regehr and leopold. Plus he got quite a haul for Pommer (Larsson, Hackett, a 1st and 2nd).

My biggest issues with TBN is their level of ignorance and their pettiness. There are definitely things to criticize Regier for but where is the balanced review of things? Or an understanding of the restrictions of the previous regime? I could go on. Its staggering the lack of knowledge on display by the likes of Bucky, Sully and Harrington. Many on here have made intelligent and forceful arguements for the removal of Regier. I've yet to see such work from the "professionals"
Nicely done!

Der Jaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 07:38 PM
cardiffgiant
Movin' on up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbubble View Post
Bunch of nihilists.
"John Sinclair (VP of Tickets and Services) treats objects like women, man."
-The Dude

cardiffgiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 07:40 PM
betterdays

I agree with most of that also, Josh.

I'm not a Darcy fan, but to be fair, another issue to consider is his opinion on long term deals. In the earlier days of his regime, he was openly criticized in TBN, and elsewhere, for being stubborn about always wanting to dish out 1-3 year deals. It was felt he was being cheap and losing talent because of his unwillingness to guarantee lengthy contracts. All of that changed after Drury and Briere, and he was forced into Vanek's long megadeal by Edmonton's offer. Those who blame him for losing the twoo captains will say he was being cheap.

Looking at how soft this core got, however, after getting big deals, you can't help but wonder if he was right in principle. Players have to be kept motivated (by money) and if all the dough comes up front, guys like Myers show up to camp fat and out of shape. He hinted at this duing the PC, and part of me wonders that with the new, future, young regime, if he won't start keeping contracts on short leashes again.

betterdays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 07:52 PM
Ron C.
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by betterdays View Post
I agree with most of that also, Josh.

I'm not a Darcy fan, but to be fair, another issue to consider is his opinion on long term deals. In the earlier days of his regime, he was openly criticized in TBN, and elsewhere, for being stubborn about always wanting to dish out 1-3 year deals. It was felt he was being cheap and losing talent because of his unwillingness to guarantee lengthy contracts. All of that changed after Drury and Briere, and he was forced into Vanek's long megadeal by Edmonton's offer. Those who blame him for losing the twoo captains will say he was being cheap.

Looking at how soft this core got, however, after getting big deals, you can't help but wonder if he was right in principle. Players have to be kept motivated (by money) and if all the dough comes up front, guys like Myers show up to camp fat and out of shape. He hinted at this duing the PC, and part of me wonders that with the new, future, young regime, if he won't start keeping contracts on short leashes again.
If I remember correctly, BTG once stated that he would prefer it if every player played on multiple "one day contracts". When the owner says that, middle management is not looking for long term deals.

Ron C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 10:59 PM
betterdays

This morning, Otter was on WGR550, and strongly sided with Ted Black over the media. He pretty much said that Pegula doesn't owe the media the time of day, but that he is available constantly to the players, and that's what matters.

Must have ticked Sullivan off, because shortly after, he tweeted this pearl:

"Steve Ott, the chic choice for captain, has now gone five years without appearing in a Stanley Cup playoff game"

Way to go, Otter......you're on Sully's poop list. Won't be long until he rallies all of WNY against you.

betterdays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 11:26 PM
joshjull

Quote:
This morning, Otter was on WGR550, and strongly sided with Ted Black over the media. He pretty much said that Pegula doesn't owe the media the time of day, but that he is available constantly to the players, and that's what matters.

Must have ticked Sullivan off, because shortly after, he tweeted this pearl:

"Steve Ott, the chic choice for captain, has now gone five years without appearing in a Stanley Cup playoff game"

Way to go, Otter......you're on Sully's poop list. Won't be long until he rallies all of WNY against you.
I'm mad at you for making look at Sully's twitter and even madder at myself for following a retweet to Harrington's twitter page.

Both have plenty of childish shots at the Sabres. The only thing I can compare it to is when another fan comes to our forum to troll. Its really that sad.

Last edited by joshjull: 04-30-2013 at 11:45 PM.
joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 07:12 AM
Clock

Quote:
These guys are such journalistic hacks. Shamelessly harboring personal vendettas for the world to see. What does that fact have to do with what Ott said? It's only slightly more sophisticated than "... well you're ugly!"

TBN should seriously consider doing something about this. It gave me pause when I bought a paper for Kid's day yesterday that some of it might be funding these derps.

Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 07:40 AM
RazielMoshman
Ever hopeful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clock View Post
These guys are such journalistic hacks. Shamelessly harboring personal vendettas for the world to see. What does that fact have to do with what Ott said? It's only slightly more sophisticated than "... well you're ugly!"

TBN should seriously consider doing something about this. It gave me pause when I bought a paper for Kid's day yesterday that some of it might be funding these derps.
It is a complete joke at this stage. At least most fans seem to be ignoring them now, it won't be long before they are unemployed. If Terry has that much of a problem though I'm sure he could get them sacked. Money is a powerful thing.

RazielMoshman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 07:55 AM
cardiffgiant
Movin' on up!

It's a great point, because the only good players and strong leaders in the NHL are those that have played in a Stanley cup final within the last 5 years.

That being said, I'm not sold on Ott as captain. I like his contributions as a leader. I also want him running around on the ice, running his mouth, and generally being a punk. I don't see him being able to do that as effectively if he is representing he team with the C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clock View Post

They've really let immature emotion get in the way of quality analysis of the team. I only ever bought the Sunday paper and I haven't done that since their hockey coverage bottomed out.

Old
05-01-2013, 08:43 AM
kenfury

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardiffgiant View Post
That being said, I'm not sold on Ott as captain. I like his contributions as a leader. I also want him running around on the ice, running his mouth, and generally being a punk. I don't see him being able to do that as effectively if he is representing he team with the C.

I love Ott and think an A would look great but have reservations for giving him the C for this very reason. A "proper" Captain should rise above the fray and take the high road something that I think Ott (and Harrington) can not do. To bring this back to the media you want a Kelley type who can focus on legit issues and conduct them self with class and dignity not a Ott/Harrington who gets caught up in the moment.

kenfury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 12:00 PM
cardiffgiant
Movin' on up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenfury View Post
I love Ott and think an A would look great but have reservations for giving him the C for this very reason. A "proper" Captain should rise above the fray and take the high road something that I think Ott (and Harrington) can not do. To bring this back to the media you want a Kelley type who can focus on legit issues and conduct them self with class and dignity not a Ott/Harrington who gets caught up in the moment.
And this is the point. There is a good reason and discussion around why Ott and the team could be better off with him wearing the A instead of the C. Instead, Sullivan is ******** and makes a snippy and irrelevant comment that Ott hasn't been in a SC final in 5 years. Guess what, neither were the players awarded the Conne Smythe in most recent years.

Old
05-01-2013, 12:51 PM
zbubble

Quote:
"John Sinclair (VP of Tickets and Services) treats objects like women, man."
-The Dude
You said it man. Nobody !@#$s with da Jesus.

zbubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 01:08 PM
Zippster

You guys are so focused on that its just TBN going after the sabres but your the ones completely missing the fact they arent alone. Article after article is popping up saying the same things and having the same issues that arose in the press conference.

Heres one from Olean Times Herald from a writer who supposedly has known Pegula for 30 years.

http://www.oleantimesherald.com/spor...9bb2963f4.html

I'm sure he's a hack too, but the facts are MANY people are seeing things completely different from the opinions that are being spun on HFboards as the majoritys view.

Zippster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 01:31 PM
aceface33

Quote:
You guys are so focused on that its just TBN going after the sabres but your the ones completely missing the fact they arent alone. Article after article is popping up saying the same things and having the same issues that arose in the press conference.

Heres one from Olean Times Herald from a writer who supposedly has known Pegula for 30 years.

I'm sure he's a hack too, but the facts are MANY people are seeing things completely different from the opinions that are being spun on HFboards as the majoritys view.
This guy writes at a 3rd grade level, complete with comparing Darcy Regier to Pee-Wee Herman. That aside, one other article does not constitute MANY (your caps), can you post some more?

aceface33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 01:45 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
They had so much ammo available regarding the hockey department and Regier's answers in particular that no one jumped on.

Why does a team that reportedly made an astounding offer to UFA Shane Doan justify itself as rebuilding in light of that said same offer?

Why do they move UFA-to-be Derek Roy for non-futures and talk of the return as a solution for what ails the team?

Why is Ruff retained through an initial slump? Or even after missing the playoffs last season when he has no rep as a development coach?

05-01-2013, 01:55 PM
Zippster

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceface33 View Post
This guy writes at a 3rd grade level, complete with comparing Darcy Regier to Pee-Wee Herman. That aside, one other article does not constitute MANY (your caps), can you post some more?
http://www.bizjournals.com/buffalo/n...-reaction.html

If I find 6 more, I'm sure their all 2nd graders, hacks, know nothings etc etc etc.

I am in no way condoning the way the media acted but the Sabres were not much better in their actions or preparedness for this presser. This organization is a complete mess and probably only going to get worse no matter what line they feed you. ( of course Darcy did already tell us to prepare to suffer ....not that we havent been already )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
They had so much ammo available regarding the hockey department and Regier's answers in particular that no one jumped on.

Why does a team that reportedly made an astounding offer to UFA Shane Doan justify itself as rebuilding in light of that said same offer?

Why do they move UFA-to-be Derek Roy for non-futures and talk of the return as a solution for what ails the team?

Why is Ruff retained through an initial slump? Or even after missing the playoffs last season when he has no rep as a development coach?
EXACTLY what should have been argued, but it wasnt and the facts still remain that they are spinning their mess in whatever fashion fits the moment.

Last edited by Zippster: 05-01-2013 at 02:50 PM.
Zippster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 03:00 PM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
I am in no way condoning the way the media acted but the Sabres were not much better in their actions or preparedness for this presser. This organization is a complete mess and probably only going to get worse no matter what line they feed you. ( of course Darcy did already tell us to prepare to suffer ....not that we havent been already )
I'm sorry, were Black and Regier supposed to answer questions that weren't even asked?

They answered the questions that were asked. You can (and probably should) dislike some of their answers, but I fail to see how they were unprepared.

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 05:22 PM
Sabretip

Quote:

Regier has certainly perfected the art of wiggling off the hook and avoiding answering the media's questions - and, when confronted, has his infamous form of babbling to cloudy the picture further, leaving listeners unsure what he just said or what he means.

Quote:
The guy who promised immediate improvement when Pegula bought the team, faced with a second straight post-season miss, suddenly decided the Sabres were rebuilding.

He cited the 2012 deadline trade of Paul Gaustad to Nashville for a first-round draft choice as the first step in his reconstructing the Sabres.

With a little revisionist history, he becomes the visionary who foresaw this team needed to take a step back before going two steps forward.

Best of all, Regier appears to have bought himself at least two more years with that “suffering” monologue.

“Of course we’re lousy ... we’re rebuilding.”

Small wonder Pegula’s phalanx of “yes men” think the Sabres’ GM is a genius.

Even Sullivan praised Regier afterwards as devising a brilliant strategy of laying out in advance that people should expect suffering and a few years of waiting, so the dilemma the team faced the past few years - high expectations and pressure - no longer is applicable to him or his roster. No one will expect a playoff berth or the team to beat the elite teams nor will anyone get upset with the team by not making changes to the roster. Yet, if the team somehow sneaks into the playoffs or overachieves, Regier will come off looking like a genius for being "ahead of schedule".

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 06:12 PM
Cirris

Send a message via Yahoo to Cirris
Quote:

Pretty much this. There was a lot of stuff about Sabres' lack of decision making sense that could have been pointed during the conference that was completely lost do to the two stooges at TBN and their wild tirades.

I'm all for canning Regier and starting fresh with a new GM.

But I'm not going sit here and say TBN is speaking for me, the fan, if they're just acting like boobs. They're counterproductive. They put WNY media in a bad light. It's just one more reason for quality free agents to steer clear of Buffalo.

Cirris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 07:37 PM
cardiffgiant
Movin' on up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbubble View Post
You said it man. Nobody !@#$s with da Jesus.
You want a toe? I can get you a toe, believe me. There are ways

Old
05-01-2013, 08:08 PM
haseoke39
**** Cycle 4 Eichel

Quote:
You want a toe? I can get you a toe, believe me. There are ways

"Mr. Harrington draws a lot of water in this town. You don't draw ****, Regier. Now we got a nice, quiet little beach community here, and I aim to keep it nice and quiet. So let me make something plain. I don't like you sucking around, bothering our fans, Regier. I don't like your jerk-off name. I don't like your jerk-off face. I don't like your jerk-off behavior, and I don't like you, jerk-off. Do I make myself clear?"

- Jerry Sullivan, in a little unreported pre-conference banter.

haseoke39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 08:13 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Quote:
Originally Posted by haseoke39 View Post
"Mr. Harrington draws a lot of water in this town. You don't draw ****, Regier. Now we got a nice, quiet little beach community here, and I aim to keep it nice and quiet. So let me make something plain. I don't like you sucking around, bothering our fans, Regier. I don't like your jerk-off name. I don't like your jerk-off face. I don't like your jerk-off behavior, and I don't like you, jerk-off. Do I make myself clear?"

- Jerry Sullivan, in a little unreported pre-conference banter.

The sad thing is, the reality of what that would really sound like isn't too far off.

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote