Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Dallas Stars
Notices

Ellis vs Smith at Training Camp!

Old
09-15-2006, 05:18 PM
Hinger

vCash: 500
Ellis vs Smith at Training Camp!

This is a battle I am very interested in and would really appreciate the opinion of those witnessing the training camp. Who will be the backup?

Hinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2006, 05:36 PM
Matsi
got paws?

I guess the backup in Dallas will either be Ellis or Tobias Stephan, not Smith...

Matsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2006, 05:55 PM
Allsmokenopancake

I heard lindros fell on and reinjured his wrist today

Allsmokenopancake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2006, 08:04 PM
mikefavata
A.I.M.

It's Smith's job to lose.

mikefavata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2006, 10:10 PM
Blade

Here are some notes from today's session.

A bit of a scare when Group 2 participated in a controlled 5o5 scrimmage drill. Otter and Big E collided with a couple of opposing players and both hit the ice fairly hard and lost their sticks. Both got up and Otter handed E his stick but rather than take it, he skated to the bench while the drill continued. After a minute or so on the bench, off he went to the room. He missed a shift but did return to the ice where he promptly took a slap shot exploding his stick in half. Seemed okay to me.

Speaking of Otter, he showed no signs of being in recovery of a sports hernia. He was ripping shots from the first drill. He looked good.

BTW, the gaggle was well behaved for the most part. I did not some three and four year olds that were quieter but then they have smaller voices.

Decent crowed considering it was a work day for most. There were 50 or so at the beginning and that number climbed by 20 or so.

No real conditioning drills as with past opening days.

Other interesting occurrences at camp included:

1. Jokinen attempted to make his drop deposit move on a penalty shot like drill, was stoned and proceeded to take a harmless but hard header into the end boards.

2. Lessard laid the first real hit of camp and had some jump to his game.

3. Boucher made a nice just get it out and up pass out of the DZone that led to an excellent fed from Mo [nice move] to Jokinen for an open net goal.

4. Barnaby showed he will keep things loose in the room hamming it up early on in the first session. Nice to see some of that around the group again. Where's Keaner, eh?

5. Vas took control of a bouncing puck in tight and roofed a nice B/H.

6. Is Niinimaa still hurt? Just joking.

7. Halpren made a nice fed to Polak resulting in an easy open net goal during 3o2 cycle drill.

8. Some nice shots in hockey stops and shot drill. Eriksson had a nice one and E worked a nice B/H top shelf.

If you can, check out the action on Saturday and Sunday. The only way to appreciate the size, quickness, strength and skill of NHL players [any pro athletes for that matter] is to check them out in a venue and setting like the practice rink. A bit is lost in the translation in the arena even down low. Even more is lost higher in the lower bowl and the game is greatly slowed from the upper deck. Just taking a pass from one of those players will blast the stick out of most rec. players hands.

A trip to practice [especially camp] is well worth the time invested for any hockey player or fan.

Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2006, 08:59 AM
Walzy

Send a message via ICQ to Walzy Send a message via AIM to Walzy Send a message via MSN to Walzy
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheechoo14whitney View Post
I guess the backup in Dallas will either be Ellis or Tobias Stephan, not Smith...
haha Stephan...lol Stephan should start the first 1/3 in Idaho to get some playing time...

and i'd rather have Ellis to backup Turks, because Smith also should get as many starts as possible (so in Iowa) and i think Silverthorn is good enough to back him up there

Walzy is offline   Reply With Quote