HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Hornqvist Re-signed 5 years 21.25M

Old
04-30-2013, 10:51 PM
drwpreds

vCash: 500
Hornqvist:
I told my agents that I like it here, I want to stay here and if they commit to giving me a long-term deal Id sign it right away, Hornqvist said. To stay here in Nashville for five years is great. I love this town, I love the fans and it gives me some security later on in my life. Im happy today.

So are we, Patrick, so are we.

You gotta love this guy- so great to hear those words after all of the crap and drama we've been through regarding players not wanting to play here......

drwpreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 11:11 PM
CantbeatzPekka
Weber/Jones/Josi

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwpreds View Post
Hornqvist:
“I told my agents that I like it here, I want to stay here and if they commit to giving me a long-term deal I’d sign it right away,” Hornqvist said. “To stay here in Nashville for five years is great. I love this town, I love the fans and it gives me some security later on in my life. I’m happy today.”

You gotta love this guy- so great to hear those words after all of the crap and drama we've been through regarding players not wanting to play here......
He's learned to speak english a lot better since his rookie year here

Always good to hear a player say that, I expect him and Klein to be looked at for the A next season.

CantbeatzPekka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 11:27 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantbeatzPekka View Post
He's learned to speak english a lot better since his rookie year here

Always good to hear a player say that, I expect him and Klein to be looked at for the A next season.
beat me to it. I think he gets the A over Klein

PredsV82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 11:36 PM
CantbeatzPekka
Weber/Jones/Josi

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
beat me to it. I think he gets the A over Klein
Hornqvist is the most vocal out of the two so that role would suit him best, imo. He gets ignored constantly/written off by refs due to him not having a letter, I think we'd benefit from him wearing one.

CantbeatzPekka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 12:12 AM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Are we sure Horny didn't drop an S bomb in his interview about his contract?

ThirdManIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 01:30 AM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
For the people calling it an overpayment please give me your comparables.
Hartnell- $4.75m, signed coming off 37 goal campaign. Hartnell is a much more complete player than Hornqvist.
Knutiz- 3.75m
L Errikson-- 4.2m
D. Brown - 3m

... to name a few. These guys have a much more well rounded game than Horny.

However I like Hornqvist and it's a decent deal.

Last edited by dulzhok: 05-01-2013 at 01:38 AM.
dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 03:37 AM
sparkle twin
I luv u summertime

Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
I think this is a great deal. I thought he would get more. $4.25 for a 25-30 goal scorer is great. He's a team first player and has more heart and drive than probably anyone else on the team. He does work that no one else wants to do in front of the net. He's also a great emotional leader. He's always patting guys on the back and giving them encouragement on the bench and getting them fired up with his energy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire11 View Post
I think it's a great deal, If he's staying healthy and netting 30 every year, then it's a contract that is actually well under market value. He's probably the most emotionally invested guy on the team, and you can see how much the other guys appreciate the effort that Hornqvist displays on every shift.
To quote Rich Clune, that is "100% no lie"!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwpreds View Post
Hornqvist:
“I told my agents that I like it here, I want to stay here and if they commit to giving me a long-term deal I’d sign it right away,” Hornqvist said. “To stay here in Nashville for five years is great. I love this town, I love the fans and it gives me some security later on in my life. I’m happy today.”

sparkle twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 06:30 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
Hartnell- $4.75m, signed coming off 37 goal campaign. Hartnell is a much more complete player than Hornqvist.
Knutiz- 3.75m
L Errikson-- 4.2m
D. Brown - 3m

How is Hartnell much more complete? He's a below average skater, and doesn't play defense, either.

Dustin Brown on the other hand is a very good comparable, although he did sign that deal 5 years ago. I bet his next deal will be much higher.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 06:59 AM
Top 6 Spaling

Just wait until Brown signs his next deal. I bet it's north of 5 mil, easy.

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 08:00 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
How is Hartnell much more complete? He's a below average skater, and doesn't play defense, either.

Dustin Brown on the other hand is a very good comparable, although he did sign that deal 5 years ago. I bet his next deal will be much higher.
Bingo, it's tough to compare a deal signed that long ago\not subject to the current market inflation to one signed today.

Wayne Simmonds is probably the best, most recent comparable...he got 6 years, but essentially the same caphit. He scores a little less than Hornqvist, hits a little more, but they're effectively similar players.

Like I said...players get paid for goals in this league..Hornqvist has been our most consistent goalscorer for the past several years. He may be one dimensional, but that's a dimension that's very valuable to us.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 09:10 AM
Cashville
RIP Lindback

vCash: 1225
Quote:
Knutiz- 3.75m
L Errikson-- 4.2m
D. Brown - 3m

Dustin Brown signed his contract in 2008. He is going to get a massive raise in 2014. I'm actually surprised at Erikkson's contract; Stars definitely got a nice one there. He had 63 pts and 71 pts in the two season before signing.

Cashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 10:50 AM
Webersmashpuck

vCash: 1088
Are we that spoiled with defensive players that Hornqvist is seen as 1 dimensional? I know his thing is screen the goalie and pick up garbage but he works in the defensive zone and is by no means a liability. There are stronger defensive players but Hornqvist works hard and can break the opponents cycle. Also look at the play where he got back and stopped the empty net goal. One dimensional players are guys that don't work and float around cherry picking when the other team is trying to score.

Heck even offensively he has a nice wrist shot so he is more than a screener.

I was expecting around 4.5 for Hornqvist so this is in the range I thought. Good deal to lock him up for 5 years.

Webersmashpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 12:52 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
I am not referring to defensive play. I'm talking about well rounded offensive abilities. Hartnell has good vision, can skate with the puck, can control play (at times).

Hornqvist is kind of a one trick pony. Excellent front of the net work and willpower. He lacks overall "hockey skills". I don't think there is a comparable for him, because I don't think you find someone who can score 30 goals with such a limited skill set.

I provided the comparables because people were suggesting there were none. But the point is moot. I think it's a decent deal and I'm glad to have him.

Old
05-01-2013, 01:35 PM
ilikeblocks

Beautiful deal for a guy that locks him up during his prime. Rather this money go to him than Legwand/Gaustad/Fisher.

ilikeblocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 02:39 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I am not referring to defensive play. I'm talking about well rounded offensive abilities. Hartnell has good vision, can skate with the puck, can control play (at times).

Hornqvist is kind of a one trick pony. Excellent front of the net work and willpower. He lacks overall "hockey skills". I don't think there is a comparable for him, because I don't think you find someone who can score 30 goals with such a limited skill set.

I provided the comparables because people were suggesting there were none. But the point is moot. I think it's a decent deal and I'm glad to have him.
I agree. Just didn't know what you meant by Hartnell being more complete, overall I think they're pretty equal.

There's not many in the league like Hornqvist, but when you have a weapon like Shea Weber, a guy like Hornqvist is so valuable. He makes Weber's slapshot even more dangerous.

Old
05-01-2013, 02:42 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
I agree. Just didn't know what you meant by Hartnell being more complete, overall I think they're pretty equal.

There's not many in the league like Hornqvist, but when you have a weapon like Shea Weber, a guy like Hornqvist is so valuable. He makes Weber's slapshot even more dangerous.
That's why I'm not fretting his 20 million contract.

The only thing to fret is likelihood of injury. I hope we got a good insurance package with that contract.

Old
05-01-2013, 02:45 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
That's why I'm not fretting his 20 million contract.

The only thing to fret is likelihood of injury. I hope we got a good insurance package with that contract.
Man, I wouldn't want to be the guy in front of that slapshot or the underwriter of that policy, but would love the commission on both.

Old
05-01-2013, 02:59 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

I respect Hornqvist and I like him. I'm just not nearly as big on him as a lot of people are. The kid works his ass off, that's for sure. My main concern is him being able to bring enough to the table to justify the money over the term while remaining healthy. He plays in arguably the most dangerous position in hockey; he is out front with Weber blasting away from the point. It takes stones, but imagine Hornqvist taking a puck to the jaw a la Crosby after Weber shoots it. I hope it never happens, but hell... it might. And that doesn't even touch the amount of abuse he takes from goalies and defensemen on other teams.

Then again, maybe that's why we have to pay him so much. Hell, I'm not sure how much you'd have to pay me to take that kind of abuse all while having 100+ MPH frozen, vulcanized rubber blasted in my general direction every PP. It reminds me of the age old question: How much money would it take for you to step in the ring with (insert hard hitting boxer/MMA fighter) for a round?

Apparently for Hornqvist it's ~$21m.

ThirdManIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 03:17 PM
Legionnaire11

I'm not worried about Hornqvist in front of the net, look at Holmstrom, Leclair, Tkachuk... not a problem. His injuries seem to be away from the net.

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 03:59 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
I respect Hornqvist and I like him. I'm just not nearly as big on him as a lot of people are. The kid works his ass off, that's for sure. My main concern is him being able to bring enough to the table to justify the money over the term while remaining healthy. He plays in arguably the most dangerous position in hockey; he is out front with Weber blasting away from the point. It takes stones, but imagine Hornqvist taking a puck to the jaw a la Crosby after Weber shoots it. I hope it never happens, but hell... it might. And that doesn't even touch the amount of abuse he takes from goalies and defensemen on other teams.

Then again, maybe that's why we have to pay him so much. Hell, I'm not sure how much you'd have to pay me to take that kind of abuse all while having 100+ MPH frozen, vulcanized rubber blasted in my general direction every PP. It reminds me of the age old question: How much money would it take for you to step in the ring with (insert hard hitting boxer/MMA fighter) for a round?

Apparently for Hornqvist it's ~$21m.
In this day and age, it's not that much money. That's kind of the point I've been making. 25-30 goals, regardless of how they come, is going to cost you 4M at LEAST.

I think, all things considered, we probably got off easy.

Old
05-01-2013, 04:03 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurGocIsAnAwesomeGoc View Post
In this day and age, it's not that much money. That's kind of the point I've been making. 25-30 goals, regardless of how they come, is going to cost you 4M at LEAST.

I think, all things considered, we probably got off easy.
The salary cap just went down about 10%. So in this day and age, salaries should be 10% less than they were last year (in theory).

Old
05-01-2013, 04:09 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
The salary cap just went down about 10%. So in this day and age, salaries should be 10% less than they were last year (in theory).
I think that's going to affect the high-end (Suter, Weber, Parise) guys more than it will the lower end and middle tier guys, personally.

We'll see...especially since even with the 1 time reduction, the cap will end up shooting right back up to where it was in no time, anyway.

Old
05-01-2013, 04:38 PM
Iron Duke

Quote:
In theory that holds up, but it doesn't appear so, in practice.

For starters, prior cap values were artificially decreased by extending lengths of contracts, which is not really allowed in the new CBA. Now this doesn't directly have an effect on a contract like Hornqvist's, except that salary cap values now more closely resemble what their true value would have been under the previous CBA, which has a scaling effect on all other contracts. I would actually expect to see many players have an increased cap value compared to what they would have had under the previous CBA due to this effect. Example, a player might have a cap value of $5M per, but is signed for 10 years, with the last 3 being retirement years, more or less, under the old CBA. Under the new CBA, an equivalent contract for 7 years is going to have a higher cap hit, because the old loophole can no longer be used.

Second, due to players trying to achieve comparable contracts, I wouldn't expect to see more valuable players taking a salary reduction, even though the salary cap has decreased overall. Instead, that $ is likely to be made up by lower pay for fringe and depth players, and through increased use of cheap entry level contracts.

TL;DR Players aren't going to automatically accept a reduction in salary simply because the cap has gone down, they are still going to look to make the equivalent $ that a player under the old CBA is making.

Iron Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 04:43 PM
Machinehead
Brauch und Stolz

It's virtually the same caphit as Ryan Callahan, who I see in many ways as a similar player, at least offensively, so I think it's very fair deal. I don't think it's too much at all.

Now to be fair, Hornqvist isn't going to give you 275 hits and top notch defense, but let's face it, offense dictates caphit. 4.25 is right in line with Horny's production.

DEUTSCHLANDWELTMEISTER2014
Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 07:05 PM
BourqueBourqueBork

It's a fair deal for what he gives to the team. I'm very happy that he re-signed, and his comments make me even happier.

He's definitely one of my favorites.

BourqueBourqueBork is offline   Reply With Quote