HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

The Hockey Noob Chronicles II (Beginners' Thread)

Old
04-04-2013, 05:52 AM
AussieFlyersFan

vCash: 500
Were you skating at Cockburn today?

I started just under a year ago with Bauer vapor x2.0's, after a few months found they were too shallow for my high arches. I changed to the CCM u+10's because they felt deeper, but everyones foot is different. Try the lace bite gel pads, it helped me but I was also using superfeet and as soon as i went back to the original insoles the lacebite disappeared. I've been a little unlucky when it comes to skate problems so i've nearly tried it all.

AussieFlyersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 10:20 AM
Ference the Finger
Ference is my binky

Quote:
Originally Posted by reaper64 View Post
I'm 30 and am in the first few games of my first season in rec hockey out here in California. Yes, I jumped on the Kings bandwagon last year and that eventually lead to my wanting to play. I went to every clinic, puck play, and public session I could over the summer. I've played four games so far and it is the most fun I've ever had playing a sport. I played football into college, and nothing compares to hockey. Nothing.
I was the same way. I grew up in the high desert of SoCal, so I'd never been on skates until I was 17 (up in Big Bear). But I watched the Kings on channel 9, in the days of Marcel Dionne and Dave Taylor, and I was hooked. When I ended up moving to the Northeast, I knew I wanted to play, but kids got in the way at first. Then when they were old enough, and all three of them were playing, I got invited to join a pickup group (this was about 7 years ago). I really was bad starting out, but have gotten better with practice. I now play pickup, plus in a beer league, and have been reffing for 4 years now. Hockey is a full time activity in my house now. So when you say that nothing compares to hockey, I get it. So true.

Ference the Finger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 11:01 AM
lo1ux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man Bear Pig View Post
You may be experiencing "lace bite". Friction causes inflammation. I get lace bite on a weekly basis. My ankles swell up pretty bad. I'm 26 and have been playing for 23 years and this is the first time I've ever had it, it can effect any player at any level. I wear extra socks and a tensor bandage. The better option is gels packs that attach to the back of the tongue, you can order them online. The way you tie the laces is obviously important too, I keep mine really loose around the ankles, for someone just starting out, you want them comfortable, but not too tight. I think tying them too tight is a mistake most beginners make. There needs to be some bend in the ankle.
I think this is the case as when I first started all was good, I have now adjusted the laces and it seems to be working itself out, I may still invest in some lacebite pads.

lo1ux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 11:04 AM
lo1ux

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieFlyersFan View Post
Were you skating at Cockburn today?

I started just under a year ago with Bauer vapor x2.0's, after a few months found they were too shallow for my high arches. I changed to the CCM u+10's because they felt deeper, but everyones foot is different. Try the lace bite gel pads, it helped me but I was also using superfeet and as soon as i went back to the original insoles the lacebite disappeared. I've been a little unlucky when it comes to skate problems so i've nearly tried it all.
Yeah I was there today. I was kicking around in the shorts and blue and orange long sleeve top. With any luck and some more practice ill get better, haha.

lo1ux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 11:26 PM
jordanking87

Make the investment, you'll gain confidence in making sharp turns and eventually learning to hockey stop with hockey inlines. Back in the day I would've never tried playing league inline without hockey skates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShootsWide View Post
Just got done with a 4 week beginner clinic at the the Irvine Inline rink. This is the only experience I have with playing the game. At the end of the 4 weeks one of the guys invited me to join their team. I felt pretty good about myself. My accuracy needs work and I am a decent skater. Im pretty excited, the season starts in 3 weeks. I already have a pair of gloves and a stick. Now I am just wondering about a few things. I see a lot of the people here play ice, so how well does all the advice transition to roller. And if I wear my soft boot inline blades, would it be ok or should I invest in some real hockey skates

jordanking87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 04:35 PM
ShootsWide

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanking87 View Post
Make the investment, you'll gain confidence in making sharp turns and eventually learning to hockey stop with hockey inlines. Back in the day I would've never tried playing league inline without hockey skates.
I ended up buying the Vapor XR2 a week ago

So my league is starting on Sunday. First game and I feel totally unprepared. I can skate forward and make comfortable turns but I'm worried about my skating ability when the speed picks up. Maybe it's more being nervous so I'm starting to doubt myself. I guess we will see how it goes. Gonna go to the rink tomorrow for some stick time

ShootsWide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 01:22 PM
ShootsWide

Had my first game today. We were outskated and outplayed but we all had a great time. Many of us it's our first team. I scored my first goal in my first game! I whiffed on the first shot, ended up going to the corner but I stuck around in the slot. They tried passing it through the slot and blocked it off my skate and shot it in. Hit the inside of the left post and it went in. I'm excited for next week. Definitely need more practice on my skating

ShootsWide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 04:29 PM
Malarowski

Started going to play-focused clinics in the area, what a difference that makes. I thought my skating was okay after just the skating classes I took at Chelsea Piers in the city, but once I introduced a stick, and more importantly a puck I just crumbled to pieces and nothing worked.
Now after 3-4 stick&puck clinics all areas of my game have improved at a significantly faster rate than just the skating was at a pure skating class. I noticed that in a game scenario I hustle about 10 times harder than I would during exercises and it shows quickly. Stopping & turning are still much stronger in one direction (luckily in the direction I have the stick, left, which allows me to turn and then shoot/pass on my forehand), but it all seems much more natural now that it actually has a purpose. My favorite part, and the thing I do best (in my own eyes) is passing (receiving and sending), even managed some saucer passes. Shooting is horrendous though. I really need some dry land space as I never had the opportunity to properly practice shooting, let alone have somebody show me the proper technique to not just make a really hard pass off the toe.

Going to a 30 min practice / 1 hour instructed play (with refs and all) clinic on Tuesday night and am pumped, albeit a bit sore from yesterday. I will probably hate myself a lot on Wednesday at work though. Dem thighs!

Malarowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 10:48 PM
SacredPetra

Are durability issues with gear a typical part of hockey, or am I just really unlucky? I bought great that should have been good quality, but so far (with only about 12 hours of skating time in most of my great) I've had the velcro come off my shin guards, the boot of my skates are tearing around the eyelets, and I just noticed that the plastic shoulder caps on my shoulder guards are cracking.

The shin guards weren't a big deal, just annoying to have to sew them straight out of the box. The skates I can kind of understand because although they were in very good condition, I did buy them used. The shoulder guards are frustrating though. The cracks are fairly cosmetic for now and are likely under warranty, returning them would leave me without shoulder guards for the better part of two weeks.

So yeah, after that brief vent, anyone else had issues like this?

SacredPetra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 09:25 AM
ChiTownHawks
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SacredPetra View Post
Are durability issues with gear a typical part of hockey, or am I just really unlucky? I bought great that should have been good quality, but so far (with only about 12 hours of skating time in most of my great) I've had the velcro come off my shin guards, the boot of my skates are tearing around the eyelets, and I just noticed that the plastic shoulder caps on my shoulder guards are cracking.

The shin guards weren't a big deal, just annoying to have to sew them straight out of the box. The skates I can kind of understand because although they were in very good condition, I did buy them used. The shoulder guards are frustrating though. The cracks are fairly cosmetic for now and are likely under warranty, returning them would leave me without shoulder guards for the better part of two weeks.

So yeah, after that brief vent, anyone else had issues like this?
I would not count the skates b/c they are used, but the other items should not be breaking down yet unless you bought really low end stuff. And by that I mean gear that maybe wasn't intended for ice hockey. If you bought mid level or even low end ice hockey gear I don't think it should be breaking down that quick.

Since you are new to the game I would suggest keeping what you have for the time being and once they really start to fall apart replace them with some good mid level gear. If you play a lot in your first season a lot of low level stuff will start to break down in just that first season. If you stick with the game and spend a little more the mid level stuff should last you a lot longer. When I first started three years ago I got Nike/Bauer Vapor XXXX shin guards and they are still going strong to this day. They however are the only piece of equipment I have not replaced at least once. Everything else has been replaced, but all the replacements are still going strong.

ChiTownHawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 10:01 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Beginners' Advice & Experiences

Forward to Beginner's Thread

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 10:10 AM
Jets
Resident Sieve

I'm surprised there isn't an all encompassing goalie thread. I was expecting to see a bunch of noobs looking to be goalies (pretty much everyone wants to at some point). It's just the real nutjobs that stick with it (such as myself ). I'm not a beginner by any means, but if more goalie questions come up I'll be keeping an eye out to lend some insight.

Jets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 10:50 PM
SacredPetra

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownHawks View Post
I would not count the skates b/c they are used, but the other items should not be breaking down yet unless you bought really low end stuff. And by that I mean gear that maybe wasn't intended for ice hockey. If you bought mid level or even low end ice hockey gear I don't think it should be breaking down that quick.

Yeah, I don't count the skates either. Everything I bought was definitely for ice hockey, the shins are Easton EQ50s and the shoulders are the Bauer One40 womens. That's why I'm surprised I'm having so many problems, this stuff should be able to take harder hits than we do in novice league/drop-in.

SacredPetra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 12:45 AM
scryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets View Post
I'm surprised there isn't an all encompassing goalie thread. I was expecting to see a bunch of noobs looking to be goalies (pretty much everyone wants to at some point). It's just the real nutjobs that stick with it (such as myself ). I'm not a beginner by any means, but if more goalie questions come up I'll be keeping an eye out to lend some insight.
Kind of a general question... Should I just jump into pickup games?

Grew up with a brother that played, and was kind of forced into the hockey life myself... I roller bladed, and we all played hockey out on basket ball courts... but never ice or league for me.
That was 15-20 years ago, and I have gotten into hockey again... and came up with the idea to play goalie. Hit up craigslist, bought evering and set out to learn to iceskate
So I have been to like 3 sticktimes, and have been out skating like 8 times
My brother says just go play pickup, they need goalies so bad anything is worth having. I like to be ready to go, so I wanted to get SOME basic ability first.

I let quite a bit in, but I can kinda skate, and stop a few so long as they aim for my head. I don't go down to my knees nearly enough and am pretty bad at moving butterfly... But I have caught the puck AT LEAST 3 times.
Well, actually I gopro'ed last sticktime and put it on youtube for storage...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TR8VJ...zVAdi6R3pFcUwg
I'd say I am basically at the point of starting to get comfortable with what I am supposed to do, but far from being able to do it well/on time
Im thinking do at least one more sticktime and spend most of it on recovery and butterfly slides...
Should I practice up for pickup games, or is that taking them too serious?
I feel like if I were playing out, I would be slightly annoyed with me in goal

scryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 11:16 AM
ZajacsShakes
Den-ee-oos Zoo-Broos

Quote:
Originally Posted by scryan View Post

Grew up with a brother that played, and was kind of forced into the hockey life myself... I roller bladed, and we all played hockey out on basket ball courts... but never ice or league for me.
That was 15-20 years ago, and I have gotten into hockey again... and came up with the idea to play goalie. Hit up craigslist, bought evering and set out to learn to iceskate
My brother says just go play pickup, they need goalies so bad anything is worth having. I like to be ready to go, so I wanted to get SOME basic ability first.

I let quite a bit in, but I can kinda skate, and stop a few so long as they aim for my head. I don't go down to my knees nearly enough and am pretty bad at moving butterfly... But I have caught the puck AT LEAST 3 times.
I'd say I am basically at the point of starting to get comfortable with what I am supposed to do, but far from being able to do it well/on time
Im thinking do at least one more sticktime and spend most of it on recovery and butterfly slides...
Good luck, dude! Goaltending wasn't my bag, but to each their own.

I think you should just throw yourself in. Sometimes the best way to learn (or realise what you've done to yourself) is a baptism of fire.

Goaltending takes time to be comfortable with. I couldn't stand it, so I made the switch to D, but it was rewarding in it's own way. Keep going to sticktime, and ask people to shoot at you, and you'll gradually become better.

My only knock is the butterfly thing... you should experiment with all styles, and find one that works. Half of my problem was I went pure butterfly, and anytime I've done goal since, I've found I'm actually better (decent) at hybrid.

ZajacsShakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 02:28 PM
ganave

Checking in again -

Had another game last night. Wasn't a really fun game at all. Other goalie gave up 8+ goals which must've sucked hard for him. I gave up 5ish. Could've played better, but the game was ugly.

Only 6 skaters on each bench, I was praying for breakaways. The other goalie got lit up and we had some really poor officiating that let things get out of hand...

About 15 minutes into the game one of their d-men took our one of our guys at the top of their crease and caused a pile-up with the other team's goalie at the bottom of it. Heated words were exchanged and their d-man got a penalty until the next goal was scored and not the full 2 minutes. Our team scored about 30 seconds into the powerplay.

In the second period the my d-man is racing to get a puck that was dumped into the corner on our side. The other d-man who got the penalty is chasing after him and cross-checks him in the back and sends him slamming into the boards head first. The ref gives him the same penalty. Sit in the box until the next goal is scored. I gave up a cheesy goal because the ref didn't whistle until our guy clearly wasn't getting up quickly and I was stuck between skating over to check on him and tracking the puck. At this point the ref should have tossed him from the game.

Things got progressively chippier and I played less aggressively than I would normally. I gave up 4 or 5 goals, but I never got into any sort of groove because the pace was pretty slow and I was more concerned about not getting taken out in retaliation. Three goals were on breakaways, one was my own stupid fault for trying to break up a centering pass from behind the net on my glove side.

Having a blast as a goalie, record is 3-8 though, but I my GAA is going down and I'm making most of the routine saves now.

ganave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 02:44 PM
ganave

Quote:

*some stuff here*

Jump right in. I promise you when I started off I was horrific in the net. You move around decently enough and butterfly slides takes a long time to master - I can do them to my blocker side, but not my glove side.

All goalies are welcome, it's better than shooting at posts.

I watched 7 or 8 minutes of your video skipping around a bit. To help with the butterfly you may want to loosen the straps on your pads a bit more and make sure there are 3 or 4 knots in between your toebridge and skate. Some people like really tight near bottom of the pads and looser as you go up. My top buckles are so loose they're just kinda there. Also it is usually harder to play goalie in stick time than in a game because you don't have defense and breakaways favor the shooter.

You should read:

http://www.futurepro.com/sites/fp3.a...ing%20Beta.pdf

If you haven't already. One thing about the buttery fly is that you generally want to use it for most shots in close. If you're at the top of the crease and in a butterfly you'd be surprised how much of the net you take up.

Old
05-01-2013, 04:03 PM
scryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganave View Post
Jump right in. I promise you when I started off I was horrific in the net. You move around decently enough and butterfly slides takes a long time to master - I can do them to my blocker side, but not my glove side.

All goalies are welcome, it's better than shooting at posts.

I watched 7 or 8 minutes of your video skipping around a bit. To help with the butterfly you may want to loosen the straps on your pads a bit more and make sure there are 3 or 4 knots in between your toebridge and skate. Some people like really tight near bottom of the pads and looser as you go up. My top buckles are so loose they're just kinda there. Also it is usually harder to play goalie in stick time than in a game because you don't have defense and breakaways favor the shooter.

You should read:

http://www.futurepro.com/sites/fp3.a...ing%20Beta.pdf

If you haven't already. One thing about the buttery fly is that you generally want to use it for most shots in close. If you're at the top of the crease and in a butterfly you'd be surprised how much of the net you take up.
hehe, I read your last post that the goalie let in ~8 goals and am thinking "HEY! Thats not that bad!"

Concerning butterfly/styles/ect... I only bring that up because the first 2 stick times I was very hesitant to drop. The last one, where I took that video, I was trying to get down a lot simple because I was letting a ton go under me only kicking out my leg, but not getting my knee down... So I wanted to force myself to do that a bit more.
In doing so I notice I cannot push off square while I am down, and would like to get that a bit better... But not focused on overall butterfly style, just trying to get that element sorted a little bit.
I bought/read The Hockey Goalies Handbook by Jim Corsi, and been watching a lot of youtube... But I'll read through that link you gave.
Free stick time for goalies this sat, but after that I may have to start playing more pickup games based on that fact that sticktime costs and they don't alone

scryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 05:45 PM
ganave

Quote:
hehe, I read your last post that the goalie let in ~8 goals and am thinking "HEY! Thats not that bad!"

Concerning butterfly/styles/ect... I only bring that up because the first 2 stick times I was very hesitant to drop. The last one, where I took that video, I was trying to get down a lot simple because I was letting a ton go under me only kicking out my leg, but not getting my knee down... So I wanted to force myself to do that a bit more.
In doing so I notice I cannot push off square while I am down, and would like to get that a bit better... But not focused on overall butterfly style, just trying to get that element sorted a little bit.
I bought/read The Hockey Goalies Handbook by Jim Corsi, and been watching a lot of youtube... But I'll read through that link you gave.
Free stick time for goalies this sat, but after that I may have to start playing more pickup games based on that fact that sticktime costs and they don't alone
I'm a hybrid goalie all the way. I can't really push off nicely. If I got into a butterfly and the rebound is pounced on I'll throw myself around the net like a dying seal. The hardest part is figuring out if and when you need to go down. If you bite on a deke and go down, you're going to have a really hard time making the next save. I like to challenge out of the crease as much as possible because I can skate fairly fast backwards and can use the speed to buy me more time and can bfly slide to a post.

I gave up 8+ goals in my first 3 games, then gave up 3 goals in game 4, then went back to 6+ for a few more. I'm now down to 3ish, but it really, really, really depends on your defense. If they give up a lot of breakaways, you're going to get lit up no matter what you do. Biggest thing to do is to not think about the goals you've given up and not get frustrated.

Old
05-02-2013, 12:59 AM
str8shooter
Rookie User

For noobie level skaters, you guys have to invest some time in off-ice workouts to gain explosiveness and leg muscle endurance. Playing is fun, buying new gear is nice, and personal coaching is great but none of that actually gives you the same gains as well planned, off-ice workouts.

str8shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 10:51 AM
ganave

Quote:
Originally Posted by str8shooter View Post
For noobie level skaters, you guys have to invest some time in off-ice workouts to gain explosiveness and leg muscle endurance. Playing is fun, buying new gear is nice, and personal coaching is great but none of that actually gives you the same gains as well planned, off-ice workouts.
Yep. I'm on the ice 4-5 hours a week right now, but I need more off the ice conditioning. Moving hopefully in mid-June to a place where I can turn the basement into a gym and follow Maria's training program.

Old
05-02-2013, 11:29 AM
AntsSheffield

That elusive outside edge

Hi, I'm a late starter to hockey (49 - some skating as a teen). Been skating 8 months this time and just started a 'learn to play hockey' programme at our local rink (Sheffield, UK) with my 6 year old boy.

I practice 3 - 4 times a week outside hockey training.

Anyone got any tips for getting onto that outside edge with confidence? It seem like a key thing that'll boost my crossovers and make proper tight turns possible. It's what I see all the good hockey skaters are able to do.

I guess the only answer is keep practicing, especially crossovers, but I'm also reckoning that good ankle strength and control is important. That feeling of being able to drop the ankle and launch over seems to be what I'm feeling I need to do with more confidence.

If anyone has any thought/experiences on this please share, but I guess it's probably, "keep practicing!"

AntsSheffield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 06:17 PM
Jets
Resident Sieve

Quote:

Absolutely go for it. I watched your first video and you can definitely skate well enough that you can learn to stop pucks by just playing. You don't have to play on a great team in a great division (obviously) but the best way to get good is to just play it and get a lot of shots in the games.

Also for the going down and covering more net, I'd say work on shuffles, sculling(bubbles) and t pushes to improve your balance and allow you to go down quicker and with more control.

For me starting out, I had the luxury of attending numerous camps with Rick St.Croix (now the Leafs goalie coach) and I still started my first year in the lowest league as a 9 year old after playing house league as a winger my first 3 years of hockey prior to that. However, that year was extremely beneficial because I saw a ton of shots. We used to get scored on 7 times a game on average, but it helped me out immensely. Go for it and get some experience under your belt.

Old
05-02-2013, 06:21 PM
Jets
Resident Sieve

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntsSheffield View Post
Hi, I'm a late starter to hockey (49 - some skating as a teen). Been skating 8 months this time and just started a 'learn to play hockey' programme at our local rink (Sheffield, UK) with my 6 year old boy.

I practice 3 - 4 times a week outside hockey training.

Anyone got any tips for getting onto that outside edge with confidence? It seem like a key thing that'll boost my crossovers and make proper tight turns possible. It's what I see all the good hockey skaters are able to do.

I guess the only answer is keep practicing, especially crossovers, but I'm also reckoning that good ankle strength and control is important. That feeling of being able to drop the ankle and launch over seems to be what I'm feeling I need to do with more confidence.

If anyone has any thought/experiences on this please share, but I guess it's probably, "keep practicing!"
Fall down alot. Don't be afraid to fall. Hit the ice a few times so that you know how to handle a fall. Once you feel comfortable falling down, it should be easy to push yourself and make turns cause if you do wipeout, you're already experienced and you have nothing to worry about!

Old
05-03-2013, 05:29 AM
AntsSheffield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets View Post
Fall down alot. Don't be afraid to fall. Hit the ice a few times so that you know how to handle a fall. Once you feel comfortable falling down, it should be easy to push yourself and make turns cause if you do wipeout, you're already experienced and you have nothing to worry about!
Yep. I reckon you're right. It might be time to get padded up, hit a quiet public skate and push the limits.

AntsSheffield is offline   Reply With Quote