HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Joey Hishon: What's the deal?

Old
05-01-2013, 03:31 PM
CalderKing21
Darth Calder

vCash: 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by henchman24 View Post
The Re-Akt is one of the single best hockey helmets there is. Do some research on it and you will see why it is regarded so highly.

http://helmetrevolution.com/en/

I highly doubt that any helmet would have done any better in Hishon's last concussion. Not the M11 or any other.

To my knowledge Unequal doesn't make a hockey helmet... they offer supplemental padding which may actually hinder some of the effectiveness of some helmets.
i said helmet but i meant padding. i know what the Bauer is, i'm saying we should give him some extra padding in the helmet to help out.
it couldn't hurt due to his concussion history.
they have extra padding you can wear on your head as a skull cap, they have liners that can be custom fit and others that can be added in addition to the padding the helmet currently has.

CalderKing21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 03:34 PM
Bubba Thudd
#AvsNewAge

vCash: 50
There's this foam stuff that I sprayed in my walls, around the light and electric outlets (on outside walls). It expands and dries, semi-solid. Great insulation.

05-01-2013, 03:39 PM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalderKing21 View Post
i said helmet but i meant padding. i know what the Bauer is, i'm saying we should give him some extra padding in the helmet to help out.
they have extra padding you can wear on your head as a skull cap, they have liners that can be custom fit and others that can be added in addition to the padding the helmet currently has.
That is the thing though... it may actually hurt the effectiveness of the Re-Akt. It has a "floating" liner that it relies on to help it offset rotational impacts. The helmet is designed the way it is for a reason, and Bauer is one of the companies on the forefront of helmets to prevent concussions. If they felt extra padding would have helped, they would have included it in the design.

henchman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 03:46 PM
expatriated_texan
Freaking Loopy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Thudd View Post
There's this foam stuff that I sprayed in my walls, around the light and electric outlets (on outside walls). It expands and dries, semi-solid. Great insulation.
With the AVs propensity for injuries, I think it's safe to assume that Hishon will be debuting the new Coors-LIT (light impact technology) bubble-wrap uniform design next season.

The opposing teams OC players are going to have a conniption trying to pop every last one during post-whistle scrums.

expatriated_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 04:00 PM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 239
Quote:
As a Biomedical Engineering student I did an exercise in applied Biomechanics to determine if it was actually feasible to dampen concussions to a negligible enough impact to avoid damage.

The Professor straight up told us that there is no math in the world that will corroborate the belief padding within any normal sized helmet can lessen the impact enough. There is simply too much force being transferred to dampen it to non dangerous levels. Any solution to stop concussions has to be at the source, not something that treats the effect. Helmets are hitting up with the laws of physics basically.

The brain would need built in shock absorbers basically.

Lonewolfe2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 04:06 PM
ikonos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post
As a Biomedical Engineering student I did an exercise in applied Biomechanics to determine if it was actually feasible to dampen concussions to a negligible enough impact to avoid damage.

The Professor straight up told us that there is no math in the world that will corroborate the belief padding within any normal sized helmet can lessen the impact enough. There is simply too much force being transferred to dampen it to non dangerous levels. Any solution to stop concussions has to be at the source, not something that treats the effect. Helmets are hitting up with the laws of physics basically.

Well said. I was thinking the same reading all this padding discussion. Injuries to head or skull are different than Concussions.

ikonos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 04:53 PM
AMDZen
Moon June Spoon Goon

vCash: 608
Good stuff. Nice to hear we might see him this coming season

AMDZen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 04:58 PM
CalderKing21
Darth Calder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post

i get that, but we're talking about lessening the potential probability.
cushioning won't stop it, we all know that but it would lessen the chances of it happening on certain impact hits.

i'm thinking more along the lines of a airbag and not a full on stop to it.
even if the impact is hard it's much better to hit the airbag than the wheel itself.

Old
05-01-2013, 05:25 PM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 239
Quote:
i get that, but we're talking about lessening the potential probability.
cushioning won't stop it, we all know that but it would lessen the chances of it happening on certain impact hits.

i'm thinking more along the lines of a airbag and not a full on stop to it.
even if the impact is hard it's much better to hit the airbag than the wheel itself.
The amount of force it requires to concuss someone will not be mitigated by special cushions under the helmet with the way they are currently made. Airbags are the exact opposite what you want during a hockey collision.

Lonewolfe2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2013, 09:24 PM
RobinDIF
Reunite ROR & Landy!

http://blogs.denverpost.com/avs/2013...l-again/13780/

RobinDIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2013, 09:40 PM
Hans Landaskog

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinDIF View Post
Good, now can he make the opening night roster already...

Hans Landaskog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2013, 09:44 PM
expatriated_texan
Freaking Loopy

Quote:
Thanks for posting that. I've honestly quit going to the DP website (used to be a stop a couple of times a day for me along the internet highway...sad.)

I also read some of the stuff on the site about the Gyro-Stim treatments. Man, I'm not doctor smart but I love that some athletes feel this is contributing to their recoveries. I really hope this is the breakthrough in treatment of concussions that is so needed. It would be great to prevent them but I just can't see that happening under the laws of physics as I know them....the next best thing is proper diagnosis and treatment.

expatriated_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2013, 10:33 PM
CalderKing21
Darth Calder

Quote:
oh man that would be awesome if he could show well in camp.

Old
06-07-2013, 12:12 PM
AMDZen
Moon June Spoon Goon

Hishon tears it up in camp. We draft McK even though people don't want us to do that. I think he would be just fine at wing. Pick up Horton in FA, and trade Jones + for Defense

Hishon - Duchene - PAP
McKinnon - Stastny - Horton
Lando - ROR - Downie
McGinn - Mitchell - McCleod
Bordy plays only in games when we need him

I know I'm off my rocker but, oh well

Old
06-07-2013, 12:24 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Even if Hishon has a good camp I hope to God we don't start him in the NHL, it would be like a fly in a frog farm.

Let him spend a few years in the AHL and get more physically dominate to withstand a flying elbow from Chara.

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 12:28 PM
CobraAcesS

Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
Even if Hishon has a good camp I hope to God we don't start him in the NHL, it would be like a fly in a frog farm.

Let him spend a few years in the AHL and get more physically dominate to withstand a flying elbow from Chara.
As we have seen it can happen in the AHL just as easy, if hes ready, hes ready. It's not like his body hasn't had time to mature either.

I have my doubts he'll make the team out of camp, but we do need two wingers so that Jones and Mitchell are no where near the top 9.

CobraAcesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 12:30 PM
Duchene2MacKinnon
BELIEVE

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMDZen View Post
Hishon tears it up in camp. We draft McK even though people don't want us to do that. I think he would be just fine at wing. Pick up Horton in FA, and trade Jones + for Defense

Hishon - Duchene - PAP
Lando - ROR - Downie

Drouin will be in the nhl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post

Well the good thing about a flying elbow from chara is it would go way over his head.

I agree seph hishy shouldn't start even if he wows in camp (he will) but years is way to much. I say he'll be in the Nhl by December. Playing wing with matt and JD.

Duchene2MacKinnon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 12:32 PM
CobraAcesS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicianHishon View Post
Drouin will be in the nhl with Tampa

Well the good thing about a flying elbow from chara is it would go way over his head.

I agree seph hishy shouldn't start even if he wows in camp (he will) but years is way to much. I say he'll be in the Nhl by December. Playing wing with matt and JD.
fixed

CobraAcesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 12:38 PM
GamingGiant

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMDZen View Post

Hishon - Duchene - PAP
Lando - ROR - Downie

That's going to have to be some '+' to net any decent defenseman.

GamingGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 12:40 PM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

If Hishon is ready for the NHL during camp, he should be given a shot... but I really really doubt he will be ready.

henchman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 12:49 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
I'll give Dater credit for bringing us some info we were interested in. We were pretty sure Hish was doing ok, but it's good to hear it from his mouth too. Even though he's said this in the past when he wasn't ok.

Foppa2118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 01:08 PM
GamingGiant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
I'll give Dater credit for bringing us some info we were interested in. We were pretty sure Hish was doing ok, but it's good to hear it from his mouth too. Even though he's said this in the past when he wasn't ok.
It is reassuring, even though the only quote in that blog was 'great'. Guess I'll take it.

GamingGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 01:10 PM
TwoPadStack
Gross Misconduct

He hasn't been able to stay healthy playing competitive hockey at any level over the past 3 years.

I would be downright shocked if Joey Hishon started the season on the pro roster.

Skills are there, but he needs A LOT of seasoning as a pro. Back to the Monsters.

TwoPadStack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 01:11 PM
The Kingslayer

vCash: 291
One hit away from quits before he even enters the NHL sad story. I hoep he makes our team out of camp.

The Kingslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 01:23 PM
AMDZen
Moon June Spoon Goon

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamingGiant View Post
That's going to have to be some '+' to net any decent defenseman.
A man can dream, a man can dream